Options

Why is David Cameron trying to take credit for the games being in London?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is now way in hell London was getting the Olympic games under Labour, they even put an American in charge of the bid and were being laughed at by the IOC.

It was only when the conservative politician, Seb Coe, got on board that we won the games.

Isn't it great when the Tories attempt to re-write history. :D

Cameron has even taken the credit for Cross Rail. When he had nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And then of course there is this.....Cameron cutting funding for the stadium........

The frame of the building will be clothed in a £7m wrap made up of individual pieces of fabric that reach 900m (0.56 miles) long and 20m (67ft) high in total.

Dow Chemical agreed to fund the wrap after government money for it was pulled in 2010 in coalition cutbacks. But its sponsorship is controversial.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mc wrote: »
    And then of course there is this.....Cameron cutting funding for the stadium........

The frame of the building will be clothed in a £7m wrap made up of individual pieces of fabric that reach 900m (0.56 miles) long and 20m (67ft) high in total.

Dow Chemical agreed to fund the wrap after government money for it was pulled in 2010 in coalition cutbacks. But its sponsorship is controversial.

So he saved the country some money and got someone else to pay for it. What's wrong with that?
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    Plus Harriet 'sexist to every male' Harman (sorry Harperson) and Ed (Wallace from Wallace and Gromit) Milliband.

You've forgotten 'who took my balls away' Ed. :D

Well if we want to accuse anyone for the ownership of hosting the Games. Look no further than Tony Blair, who claimed it was all down to Cherie. :eek::D:D:D:D

Personally, I wish everyone would leave the Politics to the Politics forum and let's just enjoy the Games. :)
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Politician takes credit but passes blame!

OMG!

The world of politics has changed forever!
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    The sooner we ban political parties, the sooner this country will start to recover. Fact.
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Cameron asks Seb Coe to take lead role for next couple of years in cementing the legacy of these games. It is looking dangerously like Labour are about to play political games & they need to be stopped. He may be a ex: Tory minister but he has showed he is above the pathetic end of party politics. I read the other day that he has finally put his name in the frame to lead world athletics organisation but I think that doesn't happen until 2014.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosnikrapl wrote: »
    I hope Cameron asks Seb Coe to take lead role for next couple of years in cementing the legacy of these games. It is looking dangerously like Labour are about to play political games & they need to be stopped. He may be a ex: Tory minister but he has showed he is above the pathetic end of party politics. I read the other day that he has finally put his name in the frame to lead world athletics organisation but I think that doesn't happen until 2014.

Yes, Coe has already said that he'd be interested in being the next President of the IAAF.

Another job that may interest him is running for London Mayor if Boris decides not to stand again. Delivering a successful Olympics is a great thing to put on your CV.
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    The sooner we ban political parties, the sooner this country will start to recover. Fact.

It's the flippin media who are far too dominated by political pundits who play party politics into everything that happens. It's becoming so self-defeating for this country as it is all so negative. Lets be honest if you listened to the media these Olympics were going to be a disaster.

Read Boris column in Telegraph whilst in Starbucks today. He did a 20 reasons to be positive about games last week & has done it again today. He was spot on that the public reaction has stopped BBC News in tracks & they have had to give up on the negativity. Gone are the stories about empty seats/transport/empty London etc etc. They have also had to give up endless analysis on 12 months since riots. The public have given their analysis & they are the ones who can change the tone in this country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    So he saved the country some money and got someone else to pay for it. What's wrong with that?

They may have initially saved the country some money, but look who they got to pay for it. It reminds everyone why they should despise Dow Chemicals worldwide. How much has now been lost, because people are not going to spend their money with an event sponsored by corporate murderers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    You've forgotten 'who took my balls away' Ed. :D

Well if we want to accuse anyone for the ownership of hosting the Games. Look no further than Tony Blair, who claimed it was all down to Cherie. :eek::D:D:D:D

Personally, I wish everyone would leave the Politics to the Politics forum and let's just enjoy the Games. :)

Really? :eek: When did he do that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »

Instead, we will get six hundred and fifty different opinions and get nothing done at all.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies, it's the Daily Mail

"People tended to make a big fuss of all the big names but everyone had the same vote and my wife was very, very good at going to different countries and seeing people before the Games who were the less significant people.

By the time we got to Singapore we knew those people, I then met them and was talking to them, all of these things helped, I think."
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member

Cherie Blair: London 2012's secret lobbying weapon
    Tony Blair says his wife played a big part in securing Olympic Games for London by schmoozing lesser-known IOC members

Tony Blair told Murnaghan on Sky: "It was the strangest electorate that I have ever had to deal with, because it is just about 120 people.

"Strangely, my wife played a very big part in this really because, of the 120, some were the great and the good and were very well known, and then you had the others who worked in sports administration and they were also on the committee," he said.

Blair said that his wife, known professionally as Cherie Booth, had travelled abroad to speak to some of the less well-known delegates to help secure their votes. London was officially declared the 2012 Games host on 6 July 2005.

"People tended to make a big fuss of all of the big names but everyone had the same vote. My wife was very good at going to different countries and seeing people who were the less significant people. By the time we got to Singapore, we actually knew these people, I met them and was talking to them," he said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Apologies, it's the Daily Mail

"People tended to make a big fuss of all the big names but everyone had the same vote and my wife was very, very good at going to different countries and seeing people before the Games who were the less significant people.

By the time we got to Singapore we knew those people, I then met them and was talking to them, all of these things helped, I think."
    dome wrote: »

Aah....so, he didn't claim it was all down to Cherie then? Thanks for clearing that up.