Options

School 'no touch' rules to be scrapped.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dress codes are very important.

The first step to being sharp is looking sharp.

A teacher in the classroom wearing jeans t shirt and sneakers isn't worthy of respect.

Allowing a bunch of lippy kids to tell everyone what their rights are doesn't help the parent's, teacher's or the kids themselves.
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW this is only in England, as Michael Gove has no power anywhere else.

G
  • Options
    Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turquoise wrote: »
    People do still get sent out for being disruptive. I left school this year and that was standard practice.

They still get sent to higher authorities in more drastic cases, as well. Although in my school it tended to be the Head of Year rather than the Headteacher.

Most of my male teachers (PE teachers aside) wore a shirt and tie as well. The female teachers were a bit more varied, although they almost always looked smart. I'm not sure what the hell clothing has to do with quality of education, though. There are lots of qualities that make a teacher good or bad, and what sort of trousers they're wearing isn't one of them.

We had no Head of Year in our school just the Headmaster and his Deputy and god help you if you were sent to the Headmaster's office for misbehaving either in class or in the school. Sadly now we see the kids showing a level of disrespect to teachers that was unthinkable back in the days when kids were at school to learn and actual did learn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Dress codes are very important.

The first step to being sharp is looking sharp.

A teacher in the classroom wearing jeans t shirt and sneakers isn't worthy of respect.

Not even if that teacher could get the respect and attention of the entire class with little not no effort, made their subject interesting, and took an active interest in their students work on an individual level?

But it's a moot point, anyway. The only teachers I've ever seen in trainers are PE teachers, who have to do practical sports demos and things. And I've never seen anyone wearing 'scruffy' jeans- in fact I can't remember whether I've ever seen anyone in jeans or not. It isn't something I've ever bothered to notice, which says a lot about the effect it has in real life (i.e virtually none).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gareth56 wrote: »
    We had no Head of Year in our school just the Headmaster and his Deputy and god help you if you were sent to the Headmaster's office for misbehaving either in class or in the school. Sadly now we see the kids showing a level of disrespect to teachers that was unthinkable back in the days when kids were at school to learn and actual did learn.

So, you never had a bad or clueless teacher who simply couldn't get respect from the class?

There were no disruptive students? Really?

And what do you think happens now? That every teacher gets endless torrents of 'disrespect'? Because in my experience, that didn't happen. I've known one or two teachers to get a hard time, but most were perfectly able to control the class and keep their attention. Three or Four of my old teachers never had to do more than ask people to stop talking occasionally, because absolutely nobody acted up in their classes. And these weren't usually the strict teachers- they were the ones who got the balance between being in authority and being human right, and who made their subject interesting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    So, you never had a bad or clueless teacher who simply couldn't get respect from the class?

There were no disruptive students? Really?

And what do you think happens now? That every teacher gets endless torrents of 'disrespect'? Because in my experience, that didn't happen. I've known one or two teachers to get a hard time, but most were perfectly able to control the class and keep their attention. Three or Four of my old teachers never had to do more than ask people to stop talking occasionally, because absolutely nobody acted up in their classes. And these weren't usually the strict teachers- they were the ones who got the balance between being in authority and being human right, and who made their subject interesting.

Well said. You would think it was complete chaos all over the country going by some of these highly exaggerated and silly posts. I reckon 99% of them haven't stepped in a school since they were a child several decades ago.

Their source of information, the news/media. But how much do we hear on the news that is positive? Very little because that would be boring. You rarely hear about schools doing well, it's only when bad things happen which makes the news.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Teachers used to highlight our mistakes on red pen.

Nowadays, that wouldn't be allowed, in case the pupil felt embarrassed/humiliated.

A pupil's embarrassment needs to take a back seat, to making them literate and numerate.

If I remember rightly, all homework was marked in red pen, whether adverse or favourable comments were made about it.
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    Well said. You would think it was complete chaos all over the country.

That country being England. Not even sure that the rules being over-turned neccesarily applied anywhere else in the first place.

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    If I remember rightly, all homework was marked in red pen, whether adverse or favourable comments were made about it.

That's how I remember it as well. Not all teachers used red pen (one or two sometimes used green, from what I remember), but they didn't colour-code positive comments, negative comments, and neutral suggestions for improvement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No.
    There were no disruptive students?

No
    Really?

Yes.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The interfering H&S/PC brigade certainly have a lot to answer for.

How do stringent health & safety guidelines and not being horrible to people have anything to do with each other?

Two entirely different brigades.
  • Options
    chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes you have to know when to break the rules.
  • Options
    big_satsumabig_satsuma Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    If they churned out people like you then thank god things have changed.

Your really not doing yourself any favours describing how good and perfect the past was when you can't even write and use grammar properly yourself, or even take a realistic view on things. Irony is the word I believe.

And neither can you... irony indeed!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    How do stringent health & safety guidelines and not being horrible to people have anything to do with each other?

Two entirely different brigades.

But both bridges link the stupidity and interfering busybody sides to the common sense side!!
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they churned out people like you then thank god things have changed.

Progress doesn't always mean improvement.

I assume they churned you out more recently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    Try telling a middle class parent that you're going to tell their child to sit down and shut up, see how far you get.

You'd only be informed that their child prodigy's very sensitve (but not when he's hanging around in a gang at midnight and drinking bolttles of cider causing trouble becuase they'll get a slap on the wrist/warning/away with it as they're mother/father's a sucessful/good solicitor/beig executive).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And neither can you... irony indeed!! :rolleyes:
    Well no, not really, based on the context of what I was replying to.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I work in education admin. In many ways i am part of the mechanism that makes the rules that schools must follow.

Most of the rules involving children are completely crazy to most right thinking individuals. However the rules are there for those individuals who are not "right thinking".

Whenever anything goes wrong the school is at fault.

A quick example.

I had to close a school last winter because of a very icy playground. The school was fine, transport was running etc etc. Teachers got to work and all that jazz. In effect the school was ready to go. However the gritters hadnt been to the playground.

If the school opened and a child slipped on the ice, guess what? Where theres blame there a claim! It may sound daft but its a fact. We cannot take the chance in todays climate so the school was shut. Ultimately it was the Head teachers decision but i was forced to agree that he was in the right. "Right thinking" parents complained but what do you do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No.

No

Could be linked? If you were that insanely lucky with your teachers (In my experience there's always at least one dodgy one) and they really were all that brilliant, then it could explain why there was so little disruption. People don't tend to act up if the teacher's good.

Mind you, you did say 'God help you if you got sent to the Headmaster', which suggests that you know what happened when people got sent to the Headmaster, which suggests that people did get sent to the Headmaster, which suggests there was disruption on some level. Surely if everything was as perfect as you're making out then the Headmaster wouldn't have had to even threaten to punish anyone? Which is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Progress doesn't always mean improvement.

I assume they churned you out more recently.
    Anything is an improvement from the seemingly narrow minded and ignorant people schools developed all them years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    The college where I work has a ruling that only a designated person is allowed to break up a fight between students.

Only problem is, no-one knows who the designated people are, so you'd need to let students go on and kick the sh1t out of each other.

Oh, and you can't hand out plasters in case the student is allergic to them and sues the college - nothing to stop them buying some from Boots, however.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I work in education admin. In many ways i am part of the mechanism that makes the rules that schools must follow.

Most of the rules involving children are completely crazy to most right thinking individuals. However the rules are there for those individuals who are not "right thinking".

Whenever anything goes wrong the school is at fault.

A quick example.

I had to close a school last winter because of a very icy playground. The school was fine, transport was running etc etc. Teachers got to work and all that jazz. In effect the school was ready to go. However the gritters hadnt been to the playground.

If the school opened and a child slipped on the ice, guess what? Where theres blame there a claim! It may sound daft but its a fact. We cannot take the chance in todays climate so the school was shut. Ultimately it was the Head teachers decision but i was forced to agree that he was in the right. "Right thinking" parents complained but what do you do?

during last years snow my head went against the local authority's advice and stayed open in the snow, the majority of staff got in, we had 17 children that day!
    Our head is not into the whole PC h&s and the kids made snowmen and had snowball fights.

our school also uses red pen

we have a dress code and have to dress professionally, we do not look a shambles as another poster commented

we have a climbing rock and assault course in our playground and have use of equipment at lunchtime that would be deemed unsafe in most schools

this is a normal primary school in a poor borough of london, the parents cant praise the school enough because the head teacher has common sense
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything is an improvement from the seemingly narrow minded and ignorant people schools developed all them years ago.

I'm sure schools, even today, develop their share of narrow minded, ignorant people.

Now, some just happen to be disrespectful with a "know it all" attitude as well.
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    We were told not to intervene to break up fights. This was especially true of men teachers when it was teenage girls fighting. We were meant to stand at the side and instruct them to stop.

There's a middle way. In the 80s, when I was at secondary school, it was allowed to go completely the other way. Personally, I was slapped round the head on more than one occasion by one teacher, 2 other boys were shaken by their lapels and thrown to the floor by a particularly sadistic English teacher, and one PE teacher inappropriately touched male pupils while 'helping' them do headstands, and even lined up 11-year olds on their first day in just their underpants so he could take a photo for 'identification' purposes.

All three of these 'teachers' would have lost their jobs in the 21st century and two would probably be in jail. And rightly so.

This new Tory law had better not take us back thirty years.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [highlight]Wrong.[/highlight]

Corrected.....