Options

Corrie: Fizz's acting last night made Anthony Cotton look like Lawrence Olivier

13»

Comments

• Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you happen to be the actors who play Sean Tully, Michelle Connor or Fiz Stape you are hated regardless of what happens. Yet it's hard to take it seriously as this is a forum who think the likes of one expression Android Carla is the most talented actress in soap.

Yeah I don't really get all the Kym Marsh hate. She doesn't seem that bad. I'm sure there's people nastier than her out there!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You also like Fizz, which tells us all we need to know about you. :p

Correct. I am an expert on such matters.
  • Options
    GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    Yeah I don't really get all the Kym Marsh hate. She doesn't seem that bad. I'm sure there's people nastier than her out there!

Well I can't comment on her personality and I don't follow the lives of actors/celebs outside of the soaps but I don't think she's a bad actress at all.
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    danyell wrote: »
    I miss Mo mouse on here. His obsessive threads on his hatred for Fiz were often rather amusing! :D

I loved Mo too! He is sadly missed. :(
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noxy wrote: »
    I loved Mo too! He is sadly missed. :(

We could definitely done with wisdom on Fiz from Mo!

With all the awful things she has done and with her nasty, snarly side, why is she such goodie character? She's be brilliant as as Corrie bitch.
  • Options
    Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Since the atrocity of last nights closing credits I have vented my frustrations on various corrie threads and hallelujah I have just found this one to rant further....
    I just think people should focus more on the story rather than the actors. It's a terribly sad story but it will be gripping, hopefully.

loving your optimism here....you're right we should focus on the story but it kind of overshadows how moving this scene should be if it is poorly acted/written.
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    Absolutely love the title! I don't actually mind Jenny McAlpine's acting although her voice is annoying. When Kirsty was abusing Tyrone Fizz was quite good. Since then Tyrone and Fizz both bore me and I'm not that bothered about the Hope storyline. Obviously if it was real life and a little girl was ill it would be different but as for the storyline I just can't really get into it.

Exactly, I as a parent, should feel empathy for their grief but I dont. I cant quite work out if it is the way it is poorly written or the abysmal acting or both. AND HER VOICE. The way conveys it in this babyish drawl "eh sweeeeeetart. Canihaveahug. Now the docterrrrr said. That. You've got a. Luuuump. In your tummmey....." it was embarrassing! !!
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in agreement ginger 2, I can't feel any empathy towards this pair. The acting is awful.
  • Options
    billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very hard to feel anything much for soap children. I wonder if the writers think that because most viewers are parents, they want to see "family" storylines? It doesn't work like that. Other people's children aren't all that interesting, and soap children are either blank and looking into the distance (or confused, like Jack), or annoyingly precocious and false, like the young Simon. They don't come across as "real people" and can spoil a scene with good adult actors.

Just because we ask "where are the children?" in the SOR thread, it doesn't mean we're keen to see them!

I think soap children should be occasionally seen and seldom heard. Not have so many plot lines around them.

And aside from that, Fizz is abysmal. I only ever enjoyed her as a "straight woman" to John Stape.
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I read all the replies and I have to say I strongly disagree with people saying she was no good. She was experiencing (acting) inner grief and pain and apart from throwing herself on the floor and wailing there ain't much she could do. I think she said it all in her facial expression. She's bewildered and confused and has nowhere to turn for help. I thought she conveyed that really well last night.
  • Options
    GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I read all the replies and I have to say I strongly disagree with people saying she was no good. She was experiencing (acting) inner grief and pain and apart from throwing herself on the floor and wailing there ain't much she could do. I think she said it all in her facial expression. She's bewildered and confused and has nowhere to turn for help. I thought she conveyed that really well last night.

Yeah, I didn't have any problem with Fiz last night either. My issue was with Tyrone running off like that. I just wanted to scream "Man up!". I know it must be really tough having that kind of conversation with your child but you have to put on a brave face and have your wobble away from the kids!
  • Options
    Happy_MummyHappy_Mummy Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg so glad other people agree with me on her acting ability! She's not good at this emotional stuff. Her daughter could die and she's waking around sometimes smiling and acting like she's ok. They should show more scenes of her breaking down or crying silently as she's putting her to sleep. So far it has been absolute rubbish and I haven't connected with her emotions at all! And I'm a mum myself but she hasn't made me cry yet! Shabnam in Eastenders however made me cry, she was brilliant at acting her still birth!
  • Options
    CorstemmeeCorstemmee Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From my perspective, there's something missing with the way this story line's playing out so far.

I should feel some emotion, but I don't. I should have had a tear in my eye, but I didn't. I'm just not that bothered.

Question is why?

Acting? Writing? Don't know. But there's something definitely missing.
    :confused:
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been dreading this storyline ever since I heard about it due to Jennie McAlpine's horrific acting.

Was about to post the same! All that baby voice - either that or shrieking! - and the 'looking into the distance', pi$$ poor.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The episodes last night were truly awful.

Corrie cannot tackle real-life illnesses and making a four year old girl 'try to act' as if she is sick, just doesn't work.

The girl who plays Fizz's daughter clearly doesn't know what the heck is going on. I know she is only four but was she seriously the best child actor Corrie could have hired???

And Fizz - sorry, just using character names here - the acting sank to a new low level last night

Dire beyond belief.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think this storyline might be a way of quietly recasting Hope. I think the reason people can't connect with it is that Hope just doesn't talk. She has no personality. She doesn't do anything so I can understand many find it hard to care.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this storyline might be a way of quietly recasting Hope. I think the reason people can't connect with it is that Hope just doesn't talk. She has no personality. She doesn't do anything so I can understand many find it hard to care.

I think the point is we are meant to care about Fiz not Hope which won't work as Fiz is one of the most annoying characters in the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corstemmee wrote: »
    From my perspective, there's something missing with the way this story line's playing out so far.

I should feel some emotion, but I don't. I should have had a tear in my eye, but I didn't. I'm just not that bothered.

Question is why?

Acting? Writing? Don't know. But there's something definitely missing.
    :confused:

Having now caught up, I think it's definitely the appalling writing. All the dialogue in the Hope scenes is 'right' per se, but it's just so mechanical. There's no personality or emotion to the writing; Alan Halsall and Jennie McAlpine really have nothing to work with, the writing is so staid and rigid. It's also obvious that Hope is no actress. It's just utter cringe.
  • Options
    kikkakikka Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fast forward through all the bits of the programme pertaining to this storyline as I simply can't abide watching the dreadful performances of 'Fiz' in particular ...

Anthony Cotton ? ... well it's all been said before - and yet he's still there :-(
  • Options
    CorstemmeeCorstemmee Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having now caught up, I think it's definitely the appalling writing. All the dialogue in the Hope scenes is 'right' per se, but it's just so mechanical. There's no personality or emotion to the writing; Alan Halsall and Jennie McAlpine really have nothing to work with, the writing is so staid and rigid. It's also obvious that Hope is no actress. It's just utter cringe.

You could be right.:)

I'd need to re-watch it to be more analytical. Problem is, I can't really be bothered!

But I will be trying to take more notice of the writing/acting this week. Maybe I'll be able to put my finger on it. :confused:
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have much to say about the quality of the acting. There's nothing particularly wrong with it but for me the whole storyline is a dreadful idea. We just don't need to see it.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiz is played by a one dimensional actress. All she can do is screw up her brow and nose, which makes her look snarly. In the scenes when she has a go at Ty and Aidan, she could have played them with high emotion but with some hint of desperation and sadness. But no, it's just full on foghorn and nastiness.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Actually thought Fiz's best scenes were the ones where she didn't say much or kept schtum.

Breaking the news to Roy and getting the diagnosis from the doc.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Fiz is played by a one dimensional actress. All she can do is screw up her brow and nose, which makes her look snarly. In the scenes when she has a go at Ty and Aidan, she could have played them with high emotion but with some hint of desperation and sadness. But no, it's just full on foghorn and nastiness.

She has a comedic face. And the teeth don't help. She should have got new ones years ago.

In the meantime, she should be doing comedy. She was perfect for Little Britain. That required little acting skills. The only requirement is the character looks stupid. And she wouldn't need any make up. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She has a comedic face. And the teeth don't help. She should have got new ones years ago.

In the meantime, she should be doing comedy. She was perfect for Little Britain. That required little acting skills. The only requirement is the character looks stupid. And she wouldn't need any make up. ;)

I just think you're getting a bit personal and nasty about the actress now, to be honest.