Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see why Channel 5 put it on Sundays but it hasn't worked, I agree that 5USA would be good as a new home and imagine would do fairly well for them. I do think Sundays should remain home to movies, Channel 4 are stealing their thunder with premieres every week.

The Goonies did really well, Legally Blonde did good considering it was shown last week. They do need newer films to show, Channel 4 have got the likes of Narnia and The Kings Speech coming up.

I think perhaps they should make Saturday a film night and have the US imports showing after 10 during the week,
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    I read that this morning. He's certainly quite a strong character!

I particularly enjoyed:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/mar/24/bbc-comedy-boss-shane-allen

Quite refreshing to anyone whose ever sat through one of those tedious 'Meet the Controller' sessions at the Edinburgh TV Festival. Everyone always bangs on about wanting "bold, original, edgy" stuff then goes and commissions the usual knock-offs anyway. :p

It's a great article, a must read!

Having been to Jay Hunt's 'Meet the Controller' session at last year's festival, she came across as quite a boring and arrogant individual. Her visions are very blurry and the troubles C4 have had in the last 6 months are no surprise.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    jda135 wrote: »
    It's a great article, a must read!

Having been to Jay Hunt's 'Meet the Controller' session at last year's festival, she came across as quite a boring and arrogant individual. Her visions are very blurry and the troubles C4 have had in the last 6 months are no surprise.
    Problems have been around for a lot longer than 6 months!
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Channel 4 did well with The Eleven O'Clock Show which brought us people like Ricky Gervais and Sacha Baron Cohen, they managed to do well with Alan Carr who I imagine has had offers to jump ship, same with Jimmy Carr although I don't think he's exclusive to Channel 4.

I wonder if Ricky Gervais offered Derek to The BBC or was it always intended for Channel 4.

Well, this is the thing, they found Ricky Gervais on the 11 O'Clock Show, only offered him a rubbish spoof chat show and then he went and did The Office on the BBC and became famous. Could he have done that on C4? They didnt seem that bothered. Same with Simon Amstell, he was a C4 discovery on Popworld, they never bothered offering him any other stuff and then he went to the BBC and they gave him the right format and then let him do what he wanted to do. They don't offer the talent opportunities to shine.

This goes back a bit, though, the reason Reeves and Mortimer went to the BBC was because they wanted to do new things, including a series of The Weekenders, but C4 just wanted more Big Night Out.
    Brekkie wrote: »
    I couldn't see Alan Carr working anywhere else though - and the BBC wouldn't want to end up with another Graham Norton situation where they sign someone up and have no show for them, so end up giving them any old Saturday night dross even though their strengths lie elsewhere. (That said Alan Carr has a Radio 2 show I believe).

Had a Radio 2 show, he gave it up a year or so ago. Alan Carr worked well enough on Saturday Night Takeaway and has a mainstream fanbase, I think - my mum likes him and he works well with people like Brucie (can someone tell me why Brucie has never been on The Graham Norton Show, I'd love to see him on there). In fact I think he's too mainstream for C4, to be honest.
    jda135 wrote: »
    I don't think Frankie Boyle is an idiot. I fully understand why he left Mock the Week. Everyone I know would agree in saying that the show has gone downhill since he left. Anyone who takes everything he says seriously is very narrow minded, and can't take a joke.

I don't mean he's an idiot because of the jokes he tells, I means he comes across as an idiot moaning about nobody giving him creative freedom and then doing a load of rubbish sub-Jerry Sadowitz stuff. I hate Mock The Week but I could appreciate he could construct and deliver a joke but by the end of his time on there, because he had this persona every joke had to be accompanied by endless shots of the other panellists with their heads in their hands pretending to be offended, killing the gags stone dead. His reputation as the enfant terrible of comedy was getting in the way of the jokes.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good night for BBC1 really.

Who thought Foyle would be only 1.4m ahead of Our Girl and only 1.6m ahead of Antiques Roadshow - and only 350k ahead of Countryfile that should have been squished by the rampant Corrie?

Without Corrie, you can't help wondering whether Foyle would have even cleared 6m - we know how much the audience dropped off.

I'm the ying on this thread to the ITVista yang. That's all. :)

It said in The Times today that the aim is to show the series online towards the end of the year with the broadcast version a few weeks later.

Wonder if they are aiming to launch it on proper telly at Christmas?

Good. At least the cold snap continuing will minimise the risk of the overnights getting barbecued, and I don't see millions dashing to the beach either and lingering over their return home....

No they will just flee the country for warmth elsewhere.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale: 7.19m (32.0%)
    Corrie: 9.77m (40.1%)
    EastEnders: 7.73m (30.8%)
    Corrie: 10.12m (39.3%)
    Broadchurch: 6.88m (28.1%)

Boris on BBC2 had 2.39m (9.8%)
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant for Boris.

Corrie on a roll, why have people suddenly started watching this in great numbers, or is it just down to the snow in its heartland areas of the north and Ulster?

Broadchurch underperformed given the lead in.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Broadchurch down half a million from last week, underperfomring compared to last Mondays episode and looks like some people who watched last week got bored of it.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant for Boris.

Corrie on a roll, why have people suddenly started watching this in great numbers, or is it just down to the snow in its heartland areas of the north and Ulster?

Corrie has had two big storylines last week and this week.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Broadchurch averaged 7.2m with +1. Still a superb rating for a weeknight 9pm drama, and only 0.4m below last week.

To the people who say it is underperforming, I'd be fascinated to find out when the last new drama on BBC1 on a weeknight got an audience like that.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    ITV2 Roman Inbetweeners - 840k
    sorry I mean Plebs - 743k
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear something went wrong:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Broadchurch averaged 7.2m with +1. Still a superb rating for a weeknight 9pm drama, and only 0.4m below last week.

To the people who say it is underperforming, I'd be fascinated to find out when the last new drama on BBC1 on a weeknight got an audience like that.

Last Tango in Halifax
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Last Tango in Paris?

erm Halifax :)

unless Beeb really did do a tv version of the Brando film :p
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great stat from TV Scoops here:

https://twitter.com/tvscoops/status/316486871876251648

'Broadchurch' official ratings so far are all 9m+ (inc+1), on course to become most watched 1st series of a new weeknight drama since 2004.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last Tango in Halifax

No it didn't. The overnights for that were nearly a million below what Broadchurch was getting and the officials were around 1.5m below.

Looks like a decent enough start for Plebs and it seems to have gone down fairly well. I notice they're repeating it after Celebrity Juice on Thursday so hopefully it'll pick up a few more there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »

Broadchurch is underperforming? Who said that nonsense?
    Last Tango in Halifax
    Last Tango In Halifax did well but it was getting over 7m in the finals, Broadchurch is getting over 8m in the finals rising to 9m with +1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Broadchurch is underperforming? Who said that nonsense?
    Last Tango In Halifax did well but it was getting over 7m in the finals, Broadchurch is getting over 8m in the finals rising to 9m with +1.

Robbie and Samuel both did just a few posts up. The most watched new weeknight drama since 2004 is clearly underperforming of course.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    A great stat from TV Scoops here:

https://twitter.com/tvscoops/status/316486871876251648

'Broadchurch' official ratings so far are all 9m+ (inc+1), on course to become most watched 1st series of a new weeknight drama since 2004.

Laughable even for Robbie standards to state it is underperforming. Yeah, right.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant for Boris.

Coro is the far superior soap, the ensemble cast that just seem to want to be there and masterful structuring and layering of storylines ... it's leagues away from EastEnders which is nearly a sitcom now with an increasingly unrecognisable cast. Shame as in 1998-2001 EastEnders was hallmark British TV.

Consider Corrie as Waitrose, and EastEnders as Lidl. I'm not sure EastEnders can ever recover actually unless it drops one or even two episodes a week. It started declining in 2006ish with a brief upsurge for its 25th.

And of course Corrie's had some storming plots lately, with the fire and this week the anticipated domestic abuse trial and exit of Krazy Kirsty. I don't think its current (outgoing) producer has taken his foot off the gas for much of his reign in terms of the show's plotting, cast (Sue Johnston is in it now FGS) and even cinematography and direction.

I've noticed they are building better cliffhangers into Monday's second episode now to hook viewers into Wednesday - it's a slick operation and a very enjoyable show. The best it's been since the early Noughties for sure.

As for Broadchurch, it's quite clear the old adage about overnights being irrelevant couldn't be truer here. I'm sure it'll time shift 2.5-3m.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fantastic 2.67m watched Motorway Cops last night.......nearly bested by Boris
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Eastenders is going through a persisent ratings rot for the last two years. Big major characters have left the soap and the replacements have been poor. Also there has been an increased emphasis on young teenage characters which is off putting for older or middle aged viewers. Coro St. has well loved characters of all ages and is something everyone can watch and a cosy soap. Eastenders on the other hand is cold on the surface and too many young characters who viewers dont care about. The writing and storylines in EE are also not good and go round in circles all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we have ITV incl. +1 yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Eastenders is going through a persisent ratings rot for the last two years. Big major characters have left the soap and the replacements have been poor. Also there has been an increased emphasis on young teenage characters which is off putting for older or middle aged viewers. Coro St. has well loved characters of all ages and is something everyone can watch and a cosy soap. Eastenders on the other hand is cold on the surface and too many young characters who viewers dont care about. The writing and storylines in EE are also not good and go round in circles all the time.
    For the first time ever, I actually agree with you.

I really feel for EastEnders in a way. I actually don't know quite how I'd fix it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're an ITV fan and the BBC has a good rating or a BBC fan and ITV has a good rating, you can say well done. The world won't end! I hate some shows but I do actually like all of the channels to have a popular show, it helps keeps everybody on their toes to try harder.
This discussion has been closed.