Options

Question Time, BBC1 10.35pm, 9th Dec

Comments

• Options
    AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a woman half way through talking about how important the EMA was to her students. I never got EMA when I was in post-16 education and it's a relatively new thing so it's ridiculous to even claim that it would be impossible to exist without it. Plenty had to and plenty DID.
  • Options
    spoonfulofsensespoonfulofsense Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah Aaron Potter, though I remembered the name.....

He was on Ian Collins Radio show and whilst debating the importance of many today's courses being taken up today and their relevance to society, Collins asked...

"What percentage of graduates go on to get jobs like Doctors, Dentists and other vital jobs and what percentage go on to do nothing with their degree"

A perfectly reasonable question given the line of the debate but jnstead of answering, Potter accussed Ian Collins of being rude and hung up!!!

Even he knows that 60% of the people who he is sticking up for a just getting a wasted qualifacation.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    The Tories have played a blinder...the LibDem man is copping all the grief. Liam's hardly said a word.

Tedious episode..where's the balance in the audience and why do so few have any idea of the detail?
  • Options
    steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paralax wrote: »
    I can't be bothered with Question Time while they keep giving publicity to the idiot students, and if they only voted Lib Dem because of tuition fees, in the belief they could actually win, they are idiots. Anyone with half a functioning brain cell knew the Lib Dems wouldn't be able to win, and when the country is bankrupt it is hardly a realistic expectation. Everyone is taking a hit because of Brown and Co. why do students think they have the god given right to be exempt.

Trust the lefty BBC to keep it going.
    Where did they get this audience from, they all seem to have a self interest in the fees, from university workers to students, to the black "poor" parent.

I live in a university town, and have to watch as students get cheaper drink in the pubs, student deals at the takeaways & restaurants, cheaper bus fares etc etc.

When the terms end, you can get a doctors appointment the same week, when the students are in town, its impossible.

Council tax we pay, a one bedroom flat is the same as a 3 bedroom house that is 4 miles out the town, probably down the amount of housing that has been bought and turned into student accomodation, where they still want all the "works", yet no one in the building is paying council tax for the services, thats down to the tax payer.

When ever its freshers week, everything is put down to "high spirits", yet if a local did it, they would be locked up, similarly at the end of the year, students get a chance to hand anything they have nicked into the police station, no questions asked!

Problem i have is that, looking into the above, in my town, students are already in a better situation that many of us, who have to earn a living to survive, week in, week out, and i know that a lot of rooms that are privately rented out, go for anything up to £500 just for a room, so if parents are prepared to be paying that, then surely they aren't short of a bob or two, to be paying for their childs education, rather than the tax payer?
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    The Tories have played a blinder...the LibDem man is copping all the grief. Liam's hardly said a word.

Tedious episode..where's the balance in the audience and why do so few have any idea of the detail?

only the black guy in the audience spoke sense
  • Options
    DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got no EMA during college - my family had to scrape whatever they had to put me and my two sisters through college. My friends got EMA and they all spent it on computer games, alcohol and fast food. I don't know anyone who spent it on books. In fact you only need to buy two or three books which require a one off payment of maybe £15. Hardly justifies £30 a week for an entire year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MegaWhat? wrote: »
    I agree to an extent. Over the past 10-20 years the post 16 educational focus has become fixed on A Levels and Uni BA & BSc. With BTEC Nationals, HNC/D following behind.

There's been a complete disregard to NVQs and other vocational qualifications such as City & Guilds, plus lots of other voactional and work based, or even work based professional paths.

Everything is politically motivated towards the base GCSE and then a political motivation from there to forward that the A Level and then a BA/BSc. There's no political talk or motivation to the others, there's no press coverage of the others. They are not specifically less worthy. An NVQ L4 is an HNC/D and an NVQ L5 is at least a degree etc.

Yep, I have a grandson doing a 4 year apprenticeship combined with Tech College for Electrical Engineer. He is being paid £15k pa, tuition covered and guaranteed £40k+ pa at the end of his time. He's 20 years old, by age 22 it will all be done and dusted for him - with no debts. Grand-daughter is following same route for her chosen career - and you know? I couldn't be more proud of them! They don't need the hassle of Uni.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    .I have no problem with doctors, midwives, teachers etc receiving free education.

Simple solution: if you qualify as a teacher then your tuition fees will be written off if you work 5 years in a State school. If you qualify as a doctor your tuition will be written off after working in the NHS for 10 years.
  • Options
    jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah Aaron Potter, though I remembered the name.....

He was on Ian Collins Radio show and whilst debating the importance of many today's courses being taken up today and their relevance to society, Collins asked...

"What percentage of graduates go on to get jobs like Doctors, Dentists and other vital jobs and what percentage go on to do nothing with their degree"

A perfectly reasonable question given the line of the debate but jnstead of answering, Potter accussed Ian Collins of being rude and hung up!!!

Even he knows that 60% of the people who he is sticking up for a just getting a wasted qualifacation.

There will be some people who take, for example, a Computing degree, only to find they hate it when they've been doing it for some years. They might become a farmer, or start running a day nursery, or a company making cardboard boxes. There will always be people who change their mind about their career.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    Yep, I have a grandson doing a 4 year apprenticeship combined with Tech College for Electrical Engineer. He is being paid £15k pa, tuition covered and guaranteed £40k+ pa at the end of his time. He's 20 years old, by age 22 it will all be done and dusted for him - with no debts. Grand-daughter is following same route for her chosen career - and you know? I couldn't be more proud of them! They don't need the hassle of Uni.

Good for them!

I'm funding around 170 workers through BSc / MSc and PhD - all of whom work at my place - all will have no debt - all are earning while they work.

It's the way forward

(I hold the budget - not funding them through my own money)
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Simple solution: if you qualify as a teacher then your tuition fees will be written off if you work 5 years in a State school. If you qualify as a doctor your tuition will be written off after working in the NHS for 10 years.

Perfect solution, similar to the Army sponsored schemes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Perfect! and dentists have to do NHS work for a specific period of time too? Vital these days!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aaron toeing the (Labour) Party line well this evening!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Good for them!

I'm funding around 170 workers through BSc / MSc and PhD - all of whom work at my place - all will have no debt - all are earning while they work.

It's the way forward

(I hold the budget - not funding them through my own money)

Whatever - we need more like you! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    Perfect solution, similar to the Army sponsored schemes.

Hmm, without the maths I don't see how you can describe it as 'perfect'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tories have done an astonishing turnabout on prison policy since Michael Howard. Shame they're only doing it because they think it'll be cheaper.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "boo! don't remind us of our parties failings! boo!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha sidiq is losing it more. "grow up" he says
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC political correctness, give the one black guy two questions :D
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Hmm, without the maths I don't see how you can describe it as 'perfect'.

Keeping our home trained staff to work for us rather than employing from abroad would save us money instantly.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MegaWhat? wrote: »
    I have no debts at all. How's that?

That's not the point, although I realise you want to 'big up' the apples of your eye.

I wouldn't have wanted to work more than 8-12 hours a week (which is most likely to be NMW today for most students) during semester and more than 50-60 during the summer. The former is the most important as it takes time away from lectures, seminars, practicals, reading time and 'field work' as part of the degree.

Did you do a FT degree?

I haven't got any debts either although I did have a mortgage for twenty two years.

I did two degrees, one full-time and one part-time and I did them both as a mature student, and the second at my own expense because I saved. And I was also a full-time mother. So my "leisure time" was limited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

was he the same one? oh well he made sense before so its ok
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nah - he had a comment and a question - it happens all the time
  • Options
    PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Good to see the audience rejecting Liam Foxs oversimplistic argument that the deficit is all down to Labour overspending.As Sadiq says Liam and indeed the tories should grow up
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see the audience rejecting Liam Foxs oversimplistic argument that the deficit is all down to Labour overspending.

Who was it down to :confused: