Options

Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    How many episodes has bbc4 aired so far.
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    Kate wrote 'The Man With The Child In His Eyes' at 13 and recorded it at 16. She may not have been a 'child star' in the traditional sense of the term, but her musical career did begin when she was a child (technically).

I would argue that it's her sheer bloody-mindedness that makes her a true artist. The choices she's made have never really been driven by landing 'big hits' - they've been driven by what she wanted to do. She's not interested in being commercially accessible or consistent - any more than David Bowie was in the 70s. Is some of her work more accessible than other parts of it? Sure. But I don't think that's harmed her career. She was just lucky enough that EMI let her find her own path - something that's unthinkable now.
    True. Joni Mitchell is another female artist who is a truly outstanding musical talent. Albums like 'Blue' and 'Court And Spark' very much rank alongside the very best albums that have ever been recorded.
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mistake. Yep, Peter hosts next week's show. But no sign of Gary Glitter. I don't think he appeared until later in 1981 with his cover of 'And Then (He) She Kissed Me'.... the irony! I don't think he appears at this time.

Of course Garry Glitter isn't appearing on next weeks show, one of his songs is. Anyway, 2 of my favourites are appearing on the same episode, Jonna Lewie and OMD
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly, We wont get that edition. The Beeb won't screen DLT shows now. :(
    Torch81 wrote: »
    My onscreen TV guide says (perky) Peter Powell's presenting next weeks? :confused: It could be wrong though, its certainly not always reliable.

Here's an official link to what's on TOTP80 and when from the BBC site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00704hg/broadcasts/2015/05

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00704hg/broadcasts/upcoming
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    True. Joni Mitchell is another female artist who is a truly outstanding musical talent. Albums like 'Blue' and 'Court And Spark' very much rank alongside the very best albums that have ever been recorded.

I don't like her music either. I find her voice unpleasantly shrill.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    How many episodes has bbc4 aired so far.

Around 200.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly, We wont get that edition. The Beeb won't screen DLT shows now. :(

Its a shame the BBC won't show DLT etc episodes as they've been showing episodes with a group who had a band member at the time who got jail time for worse than what some others have done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Around 200.

No I mean 1980s ones.
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Its a shame the BBC won't show DLT etc episodes as they've been showing episodes with a group who had a band member at the time who got jail time for worse than what some others have done.

Yeah that has pissed me off as well. I could always write to BBC and complain at my disgust for them not showing a old episode but Id be wasting my time. Youtube isnt always the best quality and they dot have all the missing episodes.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youtube isnt always the best quality and they dot have all the missing episodes.

While that's true, at least they are there. I would guess that most of the episodes from that period on YouTube are from old VHS videos from the time so the quality will be diminished.
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    I don't like her music either. I find her voice unpleasantly shrill.

Maybe. However i do like Joni's voice. Although her background was originally as a folk singer, and Kate Bush's style often appeared more theatrical by nature (including the use of dance etc), there are a great many musical similarities between them, and more than first meets the eye (or ear). Both are musically rather complex, and are also wildly experimental at times too (including both their use of world music on occasions). Mid seventies Joni albums like "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns" and "Hejira" are really not that far removed in places from Kate's "The Dreaming" and "Aerial" etc. Joni is one of the few female artists where it is possible to have an inkling of where some of the source may have come from with regards to Kate. I'm not sure though whether Kate has ever made any comment with regards to Joni ever influencing her.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like some Joni Mitchell songs, but not really a full album.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Doesn't DLT's suspended sentence finish by the end of this year?

Surely there is nothing legally preventing his shows from 1981 onwards being shown?
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ML11 wrote: »

Thanks for the links. I sort of like knowing what's coming up in the next edition and frequently can't resist the temptation to find out, but I also like being a bit surprised by whoever comes on next when I don't know, so I'll use them in a discretionary capacity. ;-) :)
    starry wrote: »
    I like some Joni Mitchell songs, but not really a full album.

Ditto. Mainly via recommendation of others, ("oh, listen to 'Blue', you'll love it", "check out 'Court & Spark', etc its great!", I've tried to like Joni Mitchell's music, really tried at times, but I always find it a right struggle. I just find a lot of it very boring. I eventually tried the supposedly easy option and put a 15 track 'Hits' CD on the ipod, but that puzzled me, when in fact her 'hits' as such probably only necessitate the need for a 7" single. And having that compilations been no better. If the ipods on shuffle and a track from it I don't know comes on, I tend to think, "what the hell's this dirge?!". In conclusion, I suspect that a bit like Kate Bush for many, Joni's one, (for me anyway) to file under 'acquired taste'.

Looking forward to tomorrow. It seems like ages since the last 1980 TOTP, or maybe I've just had a very long week! :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    While that's true, at least they are there. I would guess that most of the episodes from that period on YouTube are from old VHS videos from the time so the quality will be diminished.

Yeah be nice to get everything in good quality.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    In conclusion, I suspect that a bit like Kate Bush for many, Joni's one, (for me anyway) to file under 'acquired taste'.

Doesn't Kate Bush have more variety?
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Doesn't DLT's suspended sentence finish by the end of this year?

Surely there is nothing legally preventing his shows from 1981 onwards being shown?

Legally? No. However, you can see the Scum/Daily Heil headlines already … and the BBC already has major issues ahead with the new government - so it would be unwise for it to create more bad publicity for itself by appearing to grant a reprieve to DLT.

While I'd never condone sexual harassment, what jars for me with the DLT case is that many others, then, since and now, do what he was alleged to have done and worse, and get away with it. But DLT is the official bogey man as far as instances like this go, and I very much doubt he will ever have a public profile again.

However, I still fail to see why he could not be edited out of episodes he presented. After all, we see weekly edits made to the 7:30pm broadcast … so what exactly is the problem? :confused:
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    Doesn't Kate Bush have more variety?

Oh absolutely! I think to many she's is still quite a marmite type artist though. It took me years and years, decades in fact, to 'get' her.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,021
    Forum Member
    Nolans like this track r.i.p Bernie sounded like live vocals. ?

Didn't see the extended edition but from other TOTP performances I would say all the girls were most likely singing live as they usually did.

Don't Make Waves is a great wee ditty.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are probably people who dislike the Nolans for this reason, but you know when they appear on TOTP that they're always going to give a slick, polished and professional performance.
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legally? No. However, you can see the Scum/Daily Heil headlines already … and the BBC already has major issues ahead with the new government - so it would be unwise for it to create more bad publicity for itself by appearing to grant a reprieve to DLT.

While I'd never condone sexual harassment, what jars for me with the DLT case is that many others, then, since and now, do what he was alleged to have done and worse, and get away with it. But DLT is the official bogey man as far as instances like this go, and I very much doubt he will ever have a public profile again.

However, I still fail to see why he could not be edited out of episodes he presented. After all, we see weekly edits made to the 7:30pm broadcast … so what exactly is the problem? :confused:

Please stop flogging this dead horse.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Please stop flogging this dead horse.

No, it's not dead. It's just pining for the fjords.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's not dead. It's just pining for the fjords.

:D, And Shergar's running the National this year :D
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What group?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, the "Why won't they show the DLT episodes" posts? Just cease and desist, please for the love of God, stop asking this question. The BBC dropped the ball big time with various "celebrity sex offenders" and cannot be seen to be condoning or minimising the appalling hurt and damage this caused to their victims.

Whether you think DLT should be lumped in with the rest of these people is neither here nor there, he was a BBC employee and abused his "status" many times whilst making BBC programmes on BBC property, his salary was paid by the licence payers, i.e. you and me and our parents. He is an embarrassment and will probably never work in television again. It doesn't matter if you think that's unfair or otherwise, it's the way it is and reams of pointless, bleaty posts will not change it.

ETA..there is a whole new investigation currently underway (Operations Hydrant) and no doubt many more revelations are just around the corner.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So not show something just because they get worried about some silly newspaper with headlines about it. Suprised they dont print headlines about viewers watching them on youtube.

Ive a good mind to ring the daily mail up tell them im going to watch some Saville episodes on youtube and see what their reaction would be.
This discussion has been closed.