Options

Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    'The Groove' was a very popular track in clubs / discos at the time and the track created a short-lived dance craze called "The Freeze". Basically when the music stopped during the track the dancer would "freeze" on the spot until the music restarted.

The single was very popular in the south, especially in the London area, and I'm guessing a large percentage of its sales were from the south. The single topped the Record Mirror Disco chart for 3 weeks in mid to late May 1980 - I think most of the DJ's who provided the data for the chart were southern based.

Another record that was popular during the short lived craze of "The Freeze" was 'The Scratch' by Surface Noise. That record made number 26 in June 1980. Top Of The Pops was off-air when this record was in the top 40 - goodness knows what dance routine Legs & Co could have done to this one as their dance routine to 'The Groove' was abysmal!

'The Scratch' is a nice, mellow, jazz-funk track that seems to be long forgotten these days. Again, like 'The Groove', it reached number 1 on the Record Mirror Disco chart, this time for one week on the chart dated 5 July 1980 - the same day that Bjorn Borg beat John McEnroe at Wimbledon in a 5 set thriller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPYNIc_M1ng

I think we just 'freezed' each other there … ;-)
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I think we just 'freezed' each other there … ;-)
    :D I've just noticed your post - I've been that busy on the phone that I took so long to make my post (and then to edit it), I didn't notice you'd posted about "The Freeze" almost 10 minutes before me!
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    I don't like much of Kate Bush's music. There, I've said it.

:o:o

Kate's music is definitely an acquired taste. But love it or hate it - you can't deny that Kate was a child genius of her time. :)
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    An unusual show last night. Most of the songs have not stuck in memory. It was pretty much just The Beat, Geno and Johnny Logan that I knew. Enjoyed it though. Vance got some guitar based rrrrrock to introduce.

And Lulu's knickers were a highlight.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

And Lulu's knickers were a highlight.

They all were, and as I said, Kate looked naked inside that polythene bag:o
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Gary Glitter number gets played on next weeks edition, it's actually quite good.

Maybe not the early edition though?
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I will watch the main contest, but the semi's are just a waste of time.

Woah, some good songs never get out the semis, as the contest is hardly known for always rewarding songwriting over staging/looks etc

Replying to some other comments:
    Of the Whitesnake songs mentioned I think Guilty of Love sounds the best.

I agree The Scratch one is decent easy going funky stuff.

Mari Wilson's classic is surely Just What I Always Wanted.

On the episode:
    I remember liking the promotional video for World of Water in the past. I'd take it over that mimed performance I think.

It was nice to see a performance for The Groove, though I didn't really like the dance much. The best moment may have been the single dancer at the end, but then they had the hands up from behind the sofa which looked silly.

It was nice to see the Jimmy Ruffin one performed too.

The Beat, nice lively song, audience not lively enough yet.

After the classic sounding verse Breathing's chorus for me is a bit weaker than Bush at her best.

Logan's best track I guess plays out on the credits.
  • Options
    bluemeanie39bluemeanie39 Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    My thoughts on this weeks show
    Leon Haywood Good start
    New Muzik Brilliant follow up to Living By Numbers
    Narada more good stuff
    The Chords Never heard this before but sounds ok on first listen
    Rodney Franklin Good performance from Legs and Co
    Whitesnake Standard 80s rock video
    Jimmy Ruffin Ok but never really been into soul music
    Saxon Not heard this for years until these repeats,will be adding this to my mp3 player
    Hot Chocolate classic
    Motorhead Not one of their best but love the 3 headbangers in the audience
    Nolans like this track r.i.p Bernie sounded like live vocals. ?
    The Beat Another good tune
    Kate Bush Some really good songs this week
    Dexys Great number one
    Johnny Logan On his way to the top spot
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a few tapes with him doing the charts on it in bits and pieces, the earliest from February 1982 the week Kraftwerk went to No1 with The Model all the way to September 1991 when he stood in on the chart show and Bryan Adams was No1 for about the 11th week with that song.

Nothing uncool about Tommy Vance in my opinion.

More a puddle, but enough to cause trouble when it's coming through the electric ceiling light into a bucket. I nearly gagged when I saw what the first tune on TOTP was tonight after the last night I had! Infact I think the Bucket Of Water Song by the Tiswas gang gets an appearance on TOTP soon doesn't it? I'm aware it was a modest hit in May 1980, entering the charts this very TOTP week for The Four Bucketeers.

Isnt The Four Bucketeers on a Dlt edition?

The only time we'll see it on BBC Four is as part of the Big Hits 1980 compilation.

(That is something I dont understand. I was under the impression Dlt & Savile shows were blocked from the researchers or arent they?)
  • Options
    huddiepuddieshuddiepuddies Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Tommy Vance was married to "Miss Diane" from Crossroads I believe.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. He married Susan Hanson in the late 1960s but the marriage didn't last very long. Hanson went on to marry former The Move singer, Carl Wayne.

Tommy Vance's real name was Richard Anthony Crispian Francis Prew Hope-Weston which is a bit of a mouthful!
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    I don't like much of Kate Bush's music. There, I've said it.

No probs. At least you made your point without swearing. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed. He married Susan Hanson in the late 1960s but the marriage didn't last very long. Hanson went on to marry former The Move singer, Carl Wayne.

Tommy Vance's real name was Richard Anthony Crispian Francis Prew Hope-Weston which is a bit of a mouthful!

I didn't realise that Tommy was married to Susan. I've been watching Crossroads on the Midland's cable channel. They're on the 1975 run but so many episodes have been junked! :(

http://www.bigcentre.tv/watch-again

They make you log in. Just make up a username and a fake email address.eg John Smith jsmith-49@yahoo.co.uk

Change the name anytime you log in or you'll get a lot of spam mail.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ML11 wrote: »
    A Gary Glitter number gets played on next weeks edition, it's actually quite good.

I think (hope) we are going to get it in the early edition which is going to get a big thumbs up from me. I love it. Brilliant cover version.

I think we'll also get another subsequently very successful synth pop acts debut.

:o Well I never knew that! Love the way this thread continually informs and educates. :)

That get's two :o:o No wonder he reverted to the more simplistic 'Tommy'. :D
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benny Green (Terry Sue-Patt) from Grange Hill has been found dead earlier in his home at just 50. Many of a certain age on here will remember him well. Rather sad to hear. Thought I'd mention it with the amount of 40 somethings on here into late 70's early 80's Grange Hill when at its grittiest best.

Never knew Tommy Vance had that strangely long name and was a fellow Rich! He chose a cool sounding radio name though. Had to look up the Crossroads actress and I did recognise her face immediately. Funny that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ML11 wrote: »

Sadly, We wont get that edition. The Beeb won't screen DLT shows now. :(
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly, We wont get that edition. The Beeb won't screen DLT shows now. :(

My onscreen TV guide says (perky) Peter Powell's presenting next weeks? :confused: It could be wrong though, its certainly not always reliable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Benny Green (Terry Sue-Patt) from Grange Hill has been found dead earlier in his home at just 50. Many of a certain age on here will remember him well. Rather sad to hear. Thought I'd mention it with the amount of 40 somethings on here into late 70's early 80's Grange Hill when at its grittiest best.

No way! That's so sad. We all grew up with Tucker, Allen, Benny and 'Gripper' Stebson in the late 70's early 80's.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way! That's so sad. We all grew up with Tucker, Allen, Benny and 'Gripper' Stebson in the late 70's early 80's.
    Just heard it on the 11pm news on LBC as I sit browsing the thread this quiet Friday night. Knowing the age dynamic on here I thought it worth a mention.

Watched the Eurovision at 60 documentary on BBC4 earlier tonight. Had to gasp at Terry Wogan reckoning that Johnny Logan should have been bigger than Elvis Presley just because he won the thing twice, in 1980 and again in 1987. I mean really Wogan, get a grip or is it the onset of senility? :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Damn - forgot the time and missed the first couple of tracks. World of Water is a good one, too. For those new to New Musik you should definitely check out the debut album From A To B, it's great.

Because I loved "Living by Numbers", I took this advice and now like "Straight Lines" and "She's a Magazine". Very underrated band.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't realise that Tommy was married to Susan. I've been watching Crossroads on the Midland's cable channel. They're on the 1975 run but so many episodes have been junked! :(

http://www.bigcentre.tv/watch-again

They make you log in. Just make up a username and a fake email address.eg John Smith jsmith-49@yahoo.co.uk

Change the name anytime you log in or you'll get a lot of spam mail.

Anyone see the Meg & Hugh wedding reception episode last week?

That Stephanie De Sykes 'performance' was cringeworthy wasnt it?

Shame they wiped the episodes featuring ' Born With A Smile On My Face' & Harriet the car!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes - my friend mentioned it too! :(

Didn't there used to be a Gripper Stebson that commented on this TOTP forum? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Watched the Eurovision at 60 documentary on BBC4 earlier tonight. Had to gasp at Terry Wogan reckoning that Johnny Logan should have been bigger than Elvis Presley just because he won the thing twice, in 1980 and again in 1987. I mean really Wogan, get a grip or is it the onset of senility? :blush:

I saw the documentary too! Not bad. But for some reason I always grew up thinking Johnny Logan had won his second one in 1990 not 1987. He also wrote another winning song for it later too!
    I don't think I liked any of Johnny's songs to be honest (unlike Terry Wogan ha!) & I've never been a fan of ballads - but they always seem to win Eurovision for some reason! :(
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    I do worry about these broadcasts of TOTPs 1980s because all it will do is give topofthepopsfan on ioffer another chance of flogging episodes at a tenner. How that guy is allowed to do this ive no idea.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Never knew Tommy Vance had that strangely long name and was a fellow Rich! He chose a cool sounding radio name though. Had to look up the Crossroads actress and I did recognise her face immediately. Funny that!

Sad to hear that - The opening episode of Grange Hill begins with Benny kicking his ball down the street. Who else was glued to the re-runs of GH that were shown on Sunday mornings in the early 90s? Wish they'd do that again - the DVD releases don't go far enough.
This discussion has been closed.