Options

Simon was robbed

Comments

• Options
    Tracker321Tracker321 Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon was in the dance off and had to be saved too many times. If he had been really popular, he wouldn't have been bottom two.

The fact that he was in the bottom two shows how much he improved during the series. I would have liked him to win.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tracker321 wrote: »
    The fact that he was in the bottom two shows how much he improved during the series. I would have liked him to win.

me too. His enthusiasm and love for dancing also impressed me.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caroline was always overmarked. I will probably get abuse for saying this. I don't care what people say, Simon didn't win because he is not white. Louis Smith won because he is mixed race and represented the country in the Olympics. Alesha Dixon won because again she is mixed race. Have to be honest, Simon did get a lot of abuse on these forums.
    Some people on here found it really difficult to say anything positive about him.

He laughed, smiled and it was seen as he was up himself. The poor guy could do not right.

I personally found it very hard to warm to Caroline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Nicola123 wrote: »
    I agree I wanted Simon to win but i think Caroline won because Natalie lost last year she was the best dancer she has the best average dance score ever. How can it be one rule for one and another rule for caroline. All though people said it was unfair for Natalie being on last year because she had dance experience. If Caroline was known to be a trained dancer earlier would she have been given all that criticism aswell or not.

If there's only one ringer, they tend to be more obvious. This year there were several in that class so it was less so.

Exactly why Caroline has the best average dance score ever compared to dancers of previous seasons is a question that might pointedly be asked of the judges.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Simon was robbed, he was in the bottom two three times, improved massively, became a lovely ballroom boy and ran a close race in the final, I hope.

He did bloody well.:)

I'd have liked him to win, but didn't really see it as possible.
  • Options
    Twinkle toes noTwinkle toes no Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cj1234 wrote: »
    I've never really liked Ginger Rogers, so just goes to show its not about dancing ability - its who you warm to and feel you cannot take your eyes off. I didn't like watching Simon either. And I am getting sick of this if you go to stage school you have dance training. For people that complain do you know how many years of blood, sweat and tears and dedication it takes to be a first class dancer, particularly ballet dancers. A few years at a stage school does not give you that kind of training - it just points you in the direction of it.
    How about next year anyone that starts moaning we just don't answer.

Here here! It's all so tedious and repetitive >:(
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Simon was robbed, he was in the bottom two three times, improved massively, became a lovely ballroom boy and ran a close race in the final, I hope.

He did bloody well.:)

I'd have liked him to win, but didn't really see it as possible.

I agree. I knew that he wouldn't win but he made the top 3, which is fantastic. Well done, Simon and Kristina. 😃
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    houdi wrote: »
    I respect your opinion, but if this is the criteria for choosing a winner what is the point in there being any female celebrities in the competition? And are the girls less profficient because they are being led? You are implying that every male celebrity, no matter their skill level, must ultimately be better than amy female celeb simply because they lead. Surely that can't be right?

In some ways it's actually easier for the male celebs towards the end of the competition because they can be seen to be leading. But this counteracts the advantage the female celebs have in the early stages when it's easier for their pros to lead them (whereas for the female pros it's too easy to come across as "dancing around the male celeb who does nothing".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Reem2011 wrote: »
    I'll be surprised if a black man wins

What a ridiculous comment. There have already been black winners of Strictly. Did you not watch last year when Louis won? Or the year Alesha won? Or Mark Rampakash?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    And yet you thought that the BNP actually make such chants? :o

I may not be the one who needs to seek help. :D

I just find it amusing that a claim is made that a black man could never win because the SCD audience is racist.

Louis Smith is pointed out, and Mark Ramprakash too, but then suddenly they arw declared not black enough. Because apparently racists always consider mixed-race individuals to be white. :D

Well I got what you was saying and completely agree with you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a ridiculous comment. There have already been black winners of Strictly. Did you not watch last year when Louis won? Or the year Alesha won? Or Mark Rampakash?

The contestants you mentioned are not black. They are of mixed heritage. Mark Ramprakash is or Indian decent. It is not a ridiculous comment. Only to people who don't think racism exists. We know it does.>:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    Caroline was always overmarked. I will probably get abuse for saying this. I don't care what people say, Simon didn't win because he is not white. Louis Smith won because he is mixed race and represented the country in the Olympics. Alesha Dixon won because again she is mixed race. Have to be honest, Simon did get a lot of abuse on these forums.
    Some people on here found it really difficult to say anything positive about him.

He laughed, smiled and it was seen as he was up himself. The poor guy could do not right.

I personally found it very hard to warm to Caroline.

What do you mean he's not white? How is this possible? First Caroline is white and now Simon isn't. Why did no one tell me any of this?

Try wearing an extra jumper or turning the central heating up. I find this always warms me up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean he's not white? How is this possible? First Caroline is white and now Simon isn't. Why did no one tell me any of this?

Try wearing an extra jumper or turning the central heating up. I find this always warms me up.

Oh really! Do I care?
  • Options
    Twinkle toes noTwinkle toes no Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D. You do make me smile. Sometimes ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I should use a jumper to cover my eyes and pretend certain things don't happen in the real world.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I don't think he was robbed, I only warmed up to him in the final didn't care for him most of the way through the series. I had placed all my votes by the time he did his AT otherwise they would have all gone to him and Kristina for the emotion coming off them and after that dance.

As it was I didn't care who won out of the final 3 but gave my votes to Caroline because I liked their show dance the, which is saying something as at the start of the series I was routing for Frankie but they waned for me somewhat, maybe if the bench thing wasn't in their show dance it would have been alright.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe I should use a jumper to cover my eyes and pretend certain things don't happen in the real world.

Please don't tell me this isn't the real world. What are you trying to do to me? I'm still reeling from the shock that Simon isn't white. Do his parents know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »
    Simon could have done it if he had a more likeable personality.

Precisely. There were a few times he did things that probably didn't help his popularity with the public. For example, falling on the floor in such a silly way when he won the dance off, and his reaction when Claudia asked him such a simple question, 'Where do you come from?' I thought his reaction to that showed a certain amount of arrogance, as if he assumed everyone should know he came from Liverpool just because he was in a boy band.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant stand trolls and stalkers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The contestants you mentioned are not black. They are of mixed heritage. Mark Ramprakash is or Indian decent. It is not a ridiculous comment. Only to people who don't think racism exists. We know it does.>:(

Of course racism exists, no one is trying (I hope!) to say otherwise, or to negate the lived experiences of forum members,. That's why I don't think we should be shutting down discussion of the topic, it's an important issue to all of us, personally and politically, even though we may not realise it.

......................................;.....

My thoughts are: rascists don't like people of colour, no matter how light or dark their skin, or the country on their passport, or their accent. Think of the old 'send them back' argument (parodied elsewhere in the thread), it's not nearly sophisticated enough to differentiate, is it?

Hopefully, the fact that strictly has had a number of non-white winners (and finalists, and semi finalists) means that in this particular instance, people are more interested in dance ability, or personality, or previous achievements, than they are prejudiced against a persons heritage.

Louis' SCD success cannot be explained away purely by his Olympic achievement earlier that year, because it certainly didn't help Ms Pendleton :)

As an aside, the pro dancers are not nearly as diverse as the celeb competitors, is that reflected all over the Ballroom/Latin world? I'm not implying anything sinister mind!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I cant stand trolls and stalkers.

Bit random. Still, as long as you know what you're on about.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thought you didn't care?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D:D. You do make me smile. Sometimes ;-)

Yeah, I know, you love me really even if I am a bit of a t**t :)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely. There were a few times he did things that probably didn't help his popularity with the public. For example, falling on the floor in such a silly way when he won the dance off, and his reaction when Claudia asked him such a simple question, 'Where do you come from?' I thought his reaction to that showed a certain amount of arrogance, as if he assumed everyone should know he came from Liverpool just because he was in a boy band.

He's from Manchester ;-)

I have to say that when Simon was on IAC a few years back, he came across as not having that much personality. He seems a nice guy and is very attractive but he doesn't really have a spark imo.

Caroline reminded me of Alesha Dixon in a lot of ways that her enthusiasm and sheer love of what she was doing every week was infectious and made people warm to her in a way they didn't take to some of the others
  • Options
    Forum Member

Strictly viewers vote for the best dancer or their favourite dancer. That is the simple fact. That is what they judge their vote on. Colour has absolutely nothing to do with it, and you are trying to cause trouble where there is none.
    Michael Jackson was the most popular entertainer in the world in his lifetime and a most brilliant dancer, so that knocks your 'racist' theory on its head.
This discussion has been closed.