Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well ...

against my better judgement i watched it all

and

all I can say is ....

" I can remember when comedy used to be funny .... "

Yawns and goes off to scrub myself clean with a wire brush and carbolic
    Especially after viewing that dirty greasy slimeball character Angelos Epithemiou presenting this backstage shoulder rubbing.
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Force Majeure DVD is getting diabolical reviews.
  • Options
    Rotsea RoverRotsea Rover Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonathan Ross not happy

"Hi. Hope you enjoyed The Comedy Awards. Channel 4 are ****ing idiots for cutting Steve Coogans speech off for a REPEAT of Goggle Box."
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boring, tiresome, humourless ..... Not the Comedy Awards, no I really enjoyed them...
    I am referring to most posters on this thread!

Paul Whitehouses 1st speech :D
    Jonny Vegas :D
    Ron Burgendy :D

In my day you could get a Two Ronnies for a sixpence and still have enough change for some Young Ones and a Little Britain... and a quick flight on Concorde

Now it's... (bleeeh) Jack Whitehall and Nina Conti (bleerk)

The real comedy talent at these awards knew it was a night of 2nd raters.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to be young and cool and...sigh

I do believe a lot of the new talent is deeply unfunny
    dont think its down to just getting older it seems it takes very little to get a show now fill it with surreal rubbish. walk on stage like a cross dresser out on Care in the Community and that's deemed as funny.

The Quality of the nominees was really weak tonight I think that said a lot. Keith Lemon has been doing that mask thing for years
    I cant believe when she did the same thing. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Ross not happy

"Hi. Hope you enjoyed The Comedy Awards. Channel 4 are ****ing idiots for cutting Steve Coogans speech off for a REPEAT of Goggle Box."

The show was an unfunny shambles but that cutoff of Steve Coogan, Britain's greatest comedy actor/writer was diabolical and the most stupid tv decision in a long while.
    His acceptance speech would have been a banker for a good laugh but hey, it wouldn't have fitted in with the rest of the unfunny shyte all evening.

Congrats to Getting On, Paul Whitehouse and finally, the brilliant Steve Coogan.

Don't bother broadcasting it next year.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show was an unfunny shambles but that cutoff of Steve Coogan, Britain's greatest comedy actor/writer was diabolical and the most stupid tv decision in a long while.
    His acceptance speech would have been a banker for a good laugh but hey, it wouldn't have fitted in with the rest of the unfunny shyte all evening.

Congrats to Getting On, Paul Whitehouse and finally, the brilliant Steve Coogan.

Don't bother broadcasting it next year.

It was shown on E4, was OK
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonathan Ross not happy

It will be really interesting to see other comedy people's twitter accounts to see what they are REALLY thinking about this 2 hour long bad joke tonight, which ended up with a nice punchline unable to be delivered.
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a disgrace that they cut Coogan off.

And to think they wasted all that time on that tosser Whitehall who isn't fit to eat Coogan's shite.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    These jokes are fine to me, the audience are dead!

The Ross opening has been the funniest bit of "stand up" of the year for two decades.

It is "interesting' to see the grim humourless faces of the audience, until they see the camara pointing at them.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    It was a disgrace that they cut Coogan off.

And to think they wasted all that time on that tosser Whitehall who isn't fit to eat Coogan's shite.
    Steve Coogan could sneeze into Jack Whitehall's face and double his comedy talent DNA.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul Whitehouse is a deserving winner and mentioned Felix Dexter.

I liked Ideal but Johnny Vegas does get on my tits when I'm not in the mood. Which most of the previous 90 minutes has managed.
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Felix Dexter dedication. That's brought a tear to my eye. Rip Felix.

Paul W went even higher in my estimation of him for that. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonathan Ross not happy

That's one way of looking at it. Another would be to say the host failed to run the show even vaguely to time, and that it suggests an arrogance and self-importance of some magnitude for him to think the C4 schedule should be worked round him and his comedy establishment cronies.

Perhaps if it had been even vaguely entertaining C4 would have risked the wrath of the advertisers and allowed some over-run. As it was, they probably made the right decision. I'd put it right up there with the Sam Fox/Mick Fleetwood Brits Awards, which is closer to the time when many of tonight's turns were last on their toes. (Whitehouse/Higson aside) they got complacent and lazy. Shame.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    Seems pretty pathetic to cut off in the middle of a speech for a repeat. If you show a live event like this, you surely expect it could overrun. Blimmin' fools.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joooe wrote: »
    Seems pretty pathetic to cut off in the middle of a speech for a repeat. If you show a live event like this, you surely expect it could overrun. Blimmin' fools.

If seems to happen all the time with the life-time achievement awards which are invariably at the end; these shows always overrun, and the life-time award-winner is under pressure to rush through their speech.

I also can't understand what harm it would have done to have extended the broadcast slot a little, or to have programmed a longer slot in the first place, or they could just have recorded it then shown a (slightly) edited version (ie. with Coogan's speech but minus Vegas' ramblings). (And that stuff about watching the rest on E4 doesn't help when you're watching on time-shift, and apparently they didn't even bother with it.)
  • Options
    Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Carr....Really??!

I can honestly say I had no idea that his profession was a comedian until a couple of years ago.

I 'found' him one time driving home from work listening to R2 and was unable to switch channels it was so bad.... Him and Mel Sykes proper car crash radio!!!
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Shambolic ending for sure. It would probably have been a funny acceptance speech from Steve Coogan had he been allowed to deliver it. I doubt he was personally that bothered though. Good to hear there is a new series of The Trip on the way.

Far too much swearing from so called 'comedians' who think that it is a good substitute for comedy - Vegas and David Mitchell in particular.

Paul Whitehouse and Harry Hill helped save it from mediocrity and Jonathan Ross did his usual solid hosting job. I always get the impression that most of this audience really don't like him though.
  • Options
    MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cutting off Steve Coogan was highly insulting, seeing as it was the biggest moment of a lacklustre and embarrassingly shambolic show. I was chuffed to see my friend Ryan (he's in a show called Plebs) presenting an award, but other than Johnny Vegas, it was just....rubbish
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't watch it but from the list of winners. The only ones I agreed with were Getting On and Will Ferrell. I mean Jack Whitehall - King of Comedy!!!???
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Coogan is a true genius. I loved what Richard Curtis said about him.
  • Options
    mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    I thought it was funnier than it has been in years. Quite surprised by the reaction in here.

Although cutting off Steve Coogan was ridiculous.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a media backlash over the use of a certain 'C' word.
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As always it was mostly dreadful.

Harry Hill, Paul Whitehouse and Lee Mack were good value, but the rest of it was so dull.

Thank God for Johnny Vegas.
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a media backlash over the use of a certain 'C' word.

It was shown after the watershead and there were warnings that there would be strong language, so why would there be a media backlash?
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was shown after the watershead and there were warnings that there would be strong language, so why would there be a media backlash?

That word is still very much taboo.