Options

What flag do you have on your car number plates ..

Comments

• Options
    Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mainly this ^

I think the pro Eeuropeans are of shamed to be British.>:(
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No flag on my number plate. If there was an eu one, I'd stick something over it.

When the new driving licences came out, my father got a tiny union jack sticker and put it over the eu symbol :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then you think wrong. I am very proud to be British. I believe we can benefit greatly from being part of the EU and I hope we stay that way.
  • Options
    SoyokazeSoyokaze Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...or if not a flag what do you have instead?

I ask because the EU wants to axe our plate system and have a common one across all member states so I guess one difference would be the EU flag stuck on the end.

I have the UK union flag which I bought and stuck over the existing EU one, what have you?

I hope you realise that this 'news' is yet more tabloid fiction?

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/licenced-to-mislead/
    Stories suggesting that “British car number plates could be axed by a vote in the European Parliament next week” (Daily Express) are utterly untrue.

There is no proposal or amendment on the table that would create a standard design for all car number plates in the EU. Nobody has any intention of making such a proposal.

The European Commission put forward in April 2012 a proposal for an EU law to simplify the transfer of vehicles within the EU. Each year, individuals and companies have to move some 3.5 million vehicles to another Member State and need to get them registered according to national legislation.

This can be a bureaucratic nightmare, as rules for registering cars are often different in each Member State. So simplified rules might for example make life easier for the one million UK citizens living in Spain who might want to export a British car there either permanently or for a large part of the year.

The Commission proposal says nothing about common number plates or common colours.

Elsewhere in the amended text the MEPs propose, they make even more explicit that the whole Regulation only applies to cars being transferred by their owners between Member States and NOT to other cars.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...or if not a flag what do you have instead?

A small selection of letters and numbers....
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No flag. I always insist on no EU symbolism whenever I buy a new car.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    All of these posts remind me that I must remove the corrupt EU emblem from my number plates - And regarding the union jack - no thanks.

Why? what nationality are you?
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »

It'll never catch on.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    No flag. I always insist on no EU symbolism whenever I buy a new car.

Where was your last new car built?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »

Not seen that before, are they your postcode?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Soyokaze wrote: »

Ta for that, I'll continue having my plates as they are though.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I don't have a flag on my number plate, don't really want one either.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? The two concepts aren't incompatible. You can be proud of being British while also enjoying being a member of a larger family, It shows strength of character and a confidence in our culture. It also shows that other people appreciate our qualities and want to work with us.

Historically Britain has always operated on the world stage. There's nothing isolationist in our history and I don't see why we should start now.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    And some of us believe that our country is strong enough to retain its identity even if it's part of a larger super state. I feel a bit sad and depressed about people who think our national identity is so weak that being part of an EU superstate would destroy it. We're better than that. I think we're strong enough and good enough that we'd enjoy being closer partners and adding our own culture to the European whole. It might even give us renewed strength to spread our ideals further afield.

Good post Andrue although wasted on some members who wear tin foil hats... and there are quite a few on DS lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    If I don't have a flag does that mean that if I venture abroad some foreign power can annexe me?

Only if your car is Polish. :D
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    None, as it didn't come with any flags on it.

If it had the EU symbol on it I wouldn't give a toss. Loads of countries have the EU symbol on their cars (Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Ireland, etc) and none of them seem to cover up the EU flag.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the standard EU flag on my numberplate as that is what it came with from the Lease company.
    I have no intention of changing it. Any legal numberplate is fine with me.
    What frustrates me is the twits who have illegal number plates in stupid illegible writing or on graphic backgrounds that make them unreadable. I always question the motives of someone who wants to make their numberplate less clear to other road users.
    Having a uniform plate design across Europe makes sense, it makes vehicles easy to identify and means you don't need a county code sticker when you drive abroad :)
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a proper number plate with the EU flag.

When we went to Malta in 2004 a few months after they joined the EU the majority of even old cars had proper number plates with the EU flag.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »
    No flag on my number plate. If there was an eu one, I'd stick something over it.

When the new driving licences came out, my father got a tiny union jack sticker and put it over the eu symbol :D

I have no flag on my number plate. I have a GB sticker on my tailgate as you need that to travel to the EU.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am ashamed of your English. You must be foreign with a sentence structure like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Joe* wrote: »
    I have the standard EU flag on my numberplate as that is what it came with from the Lease company.
    I have no intention of changing it. Any legal numberplate is fine with me.
    What frustrates me is the twits who have illegal number plates in stupid illegible writing or on graphic backgrounds that make them unreadable. I always question the motives of someone who wants to make their numberplate less clear to other road users.
    Having a uniform plate design across Europe makes sense, it makes vehicles easy to identify and means you don't need a county code sticker when you drive abroad :)

I hate that as well.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I am ashamed of your English. You must be foreign with a sentence structure like that.

Ho easy. I got a ban a few weeks ago for making a similar remark about someone's illegible bad spelling and grammar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soyokaze wrote: »

No surprise really. The OP didn't provide a link.

You will never guess where the headline came from. It's the Daily Mail:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2601201/UK-number-plates-axed-EU-Proposals-common-colours-ID-tags-vehicles-tracked-condemned-critics.html
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the EU flag.

I didn't realise people got so.. uppity about it. I mean, really, tip-exing it over? Sticking stickers over it..? :confused:

IMO it should be compulsory, for no reason other than to piss off people who think it matters :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I have the EU flag.

I didn't realise people got so.. uppity about it. I mean, really, tip-exing it over? Sticking stickers over it..? :confused:

IMO it should be compulsory, for no reason other than to piss off people who think it matters :D

I would have thought that would be illegal:confused:

You don't need it in the UK but you do need something if you travel to the EU, that's why I have a GB badge.