Options

100 school kids sent home for wearing the wrong shoes

Comments

• Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Yes it does. It helps to create a clear separation between a learning environment and life outside. It also helps to instil discipline and help children to understand that in real life they can't always do what they want and that they will sometimes be expected to adhere to certain dress codes. In some cases, their parents are a sad warning of the possible outcome if they can't accept this.

Ah that explains why elite educational establishments like Oxford and Cambridge require their students to wear uniforms.

Also why don't schools require staff as educational role models to wear such similarly tightly regulated school uniforms?
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    The school is only 'making a fuss' because some parents and children thought the rules didn't apply to them.
    Ok. Any thoughts about the actual point I was making though?
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All adult education classes should be contingent on learners wearing school uniform. Show the kids how it should be done!
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    Ah that explains why elite educational establishments like Oxford and Cambridge require their students to wear uniforms.

Also why don't schools require staff as educational role models to wear such similarly tightly regulated school uniforms?

There is a clear difference between a learning environment where the participants have chosen (and paid) to attend, and compulsory education. There is also a difference in maturity (one would hope) between adults and children. Indeed, our local school's sixth form has no specific uniform requirement.

And many schools have dress codes for staff. Indeed, some do have a uniform, requiring gowns (although they tend to be in the private sector)
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schools should be stopped from taking the piss, they have become power mad control freaks.

A pair of shoes is hardly going to affect their education, until the school send them home, stopping them from learning...
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schools should be stopped from taking the piss, they have become power mad control freaks.

A pair of shoes is hardly going to affect their education, until the school send them home, stopping them from learning...

My school would let you stay, but you had to do your work in an 'isolation unit' instead.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    If a parent kept their kid off school for a reason as petty and unimportant as that, they'd be threatened with a fine, if not hit with one immediately. I really don't think people who make moronic decisions like this should be in positions of authority over others.

I agree, it's pretty stupid. Schools (or the ones in charge of attendance anyway) give parents a hard time for keeping their kid off when they're genuinely ill, yet they think it's okay for a kid to miss lessons because they're wearing the wrong shoes? Seriously?

My daughter is due for surgery to correct ingrown nails on her big toes in a couple of months, and the nurse at the hospital where we went for a consultation told me she'll likely need to stay off school for a week as she won't be able to do much walking. I'm already loathing at the prospect of having to deal with the school's attendance team on this one. I'm keeping a calendar of all the dates though and I will protest if they decide that any of her absences from this are 'unauthorized'. I had issues with them last year, it was like talking to a brick wall.
  • Options
    willow32willow32 Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Those look like trainers to me! Admittedly I don't think they'd actually be much use for playing serious sport in, but they certainly don't look like something I'd expect a lad to wear for formal events. Maybe I'm just gettin' old - what happened to laces?

No, you're not getting old, they look like trainers to me as well. To the poster making the point that they wore velcro ones in '91, for me, the rise of the sole at the side, they look like trainers. Shoes would have a flat/lower sole.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is alot for it to be the kids fault, however we get this every year when the kids go back to school, and with good reason, now is when the schools needs to crack down, if they go easy now, they will never win.
  • Options
    Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    I have to say I'm surprised at the general opinion on this thread that the school overreacted. They may have done, I suppose, but the fact is that 100 pupils turned up at school blatantly flouting uniform code.

You can argue about the effectiveness of school uniforms till the cows come home, but if they're there, they're there.

How many of these parents genuinely thought a pair of black trainers were actually regulation formal shoes? And how many just don't give a shit?

Yes, wearing a certain set of clothes probably doesn't affect learning ability, but learning to follow rules when you are a child, within reason, does prepare you for the wider world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I've often wondered about this kind of overly proscriptive uniform which is only available from one outlet - has anyone investigated whether there is some sort of backhanders going on between the shop and the school authorities?

When I took my daughter to the open night before she was due to start secondary school, they were handing out little leaflets as you went out the door advertising that you could buy the school uniform at a shop in town. I don't know how many people went there, but there's another shop much closer and considerably cheaper than the one they were plugging. The most expensive thing was the school blazer at £30, the rest of it we just bought at BHS or Asda. The PE kit also has to be bought at a uniform shop but it wasn't too expensive. I bought the socks from Sports Direct though, about half the price.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God knows what would have happened if they'd turned up wearing the wrong trousers.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    God knows what would have happened if they'd turned up wearing the wrong trousers.

They would have stolen priceless diamonds and had a train chase?
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok. Any thoughts about the actual point I was making though?

Sorry, what points?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, what points?
    It was in that post you quoted where you picked at the usage of a specific phrase while ignoring what the thrust of the message was supposed to be about.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was in that post you quoted where you picked at the usage of a specific phrase while ignoring what the thrust of the message was supposed to be about.

It would have been easier to just restate what your point was, assuming there is one??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It does affect their education. As has been already posted, if a child realises he can break one school rule, it won't be long before he tries it with another rule. Next he is challenging everything and ignoring lessons.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, it's pretty stupid. Schools (or the ones in charge of attendance anyway) give parents a hard time for keeping their kid off when they're genuinely ill, yet they think it's okay for a kid to miss lessons because they're wearing the wrong shoes? Seriously?

My daughter is due for surgery to correct ingrown nails on her big toes in a couple of months, and the nurse at the hospital where we went for a consultation told me she'll likely need to stay off school for a week as she won't be able to do much walking. I'm already loathing at the prospect of having to deal with the school's attendance team on this one. I'm keeping a calendar of all the dates though and I will protest if they decide that any of her absences from this are 'unauthorized'. I had issues with them last year, it was like talking to a brick wall.

I would make sure I give the school plenty of notice and ask the consultant carrying out the procedure to provide a sick note for you to give that to the school. They will be more than happy to do that.

If the school's attendance team, (They really have those now? What a waste of money), have an issue with her being off school you can suggest they take it up with the hospital who carried out the procedure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been easier to just restate what your point was, assuming there is one??
    Perhaps but given the poster deliberately ignored it and continues to do so, why do the legwork for him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tony, you're just being obtuse. What's the question?
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of my school uniform at the last school I was at was bought from them, just handed in a form and the money at reception and they gave you your order.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony, you're just being obtuse. What's the question?
    Oh alright, since I'm feeling particularly benevolent today, I will repost it just for you:
    On the other hand, if such a fuss is made about the petty, arbitrary rules, couldn't kids start to resent and lose respect for all of them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would make sure I give the school plenty of notice and ask the consultant carrying out the procedure to provide a sick note for you to give that to the school. They will be more than happy to do that.

If the school's attendance team, (They really have those now? What a waste of money), have an issue with her being off school you can suggest they take it up with the hospital who carried out the procedure.

Thanks, I will do that, but last year I gave them photocopies of her appointments for medical reasons and I still got a hard time from them. She was also off ill for 3 days, vomiting and such, and I called the school every day to let them know and ended up with them phoning one afternoon to 'discuss' her attendance. They said they could send someone from the school over to 'make sure' she was actually ill. I told them to go right ahead. If they can afford to hire extra staff to send out to check on kids who 'might' be faking an illness, it's no wonder people think the education system is a joke. And I do understand that it isn't the school per se that makes these decisions, they've been handed a mandate by Ofsted where all pupils have to meet 95% attendance or something and probably face repercussions for not meeting them. It's all so silly though. All they had to do was look at my daughter's attendance before she had medical issues and compare it to when the issues began to see that there was an obvious pattern and she wasn't a habitual skiver.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh alright, since I'm feeling particularly benevolent today, I will repost it just for you:

That doesn't make sense. The school was not 'making a fuss' when it originally set the rules. It was only the parents & children who caused the fuss by ignoring the rules.

To put it another way - the parents had plenty of notice about the dress code, but still sent their children to school in the wrong type of footwear. There would have been no 'fuss' if these people had followed the rules.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Finland. Considered to have best education system in Europe and arguably the world. NO school uniform. Go figure.

Uniforms no more 'necessary' for schools than for universities. Academically the best state schools in my area have a more laid back attitude to the minutiae of uniform adherence.

So little Jimmy with rich parents goes to school in all the latest designer gear, while little Aaron from a poor family goes to school in tatty hand me downs and gets bullied.? Everyone in school uniform means no discrimination. And why the awful Americanism at the end of your sentence.?