Options

TV adverts from years ago?

Comments

• Options
    JukeJiveJukeJive Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember how old I was at the time, but this one advert sticks in my mind. When people talk about something making them so sad that they cry ( it's usually a film or a book or a TV episode ) I always think of this old advert and grin inside. It made me so sad I'd well up with tears in my eyes each and every time it came on. It's an ad for a new Hoover which picks up all the crumbs at the edges of the carpet... so the poor little mouse has to leave home and find somewhere else to get it's food... it's a cartoon mouse with all it's posessions wrapped in a hanky in a pole across it's shoulder and a huge tear is falling down it's cheek as it's slowly walking away.

Ah bless...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    4444 wrote: »
    An advert for Barclaycard in the late 1980's, I think, featuring young work experience-type laddo:

"It's not all work, work, work."

Is this the one you mean? Its for NatWest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbz95LdqMko

This advert is one of my earliest memories as a child. I don't know why, but I remember watching this ad on the telly when I was very young!
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    British Gas ad with the dog, cat & mouse. loved it:)

Wasn't for British Gas, it was for Real Fires - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4tB6p6yGac
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creature comforts Electricity ads

And one from the very early days The ESSO BLUE Dealer How many remember him??
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    James2811 wrote: »
    Is this the one you mean? Its for NatWest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbz95LdqMko

This advert is one of my earliest memories as a child. I don't know why, but I remember watching this ad on the telly when I was very young!

That's the one!! Haven't seen it for years, thanks.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having munched four of them tonight I should also bring up Turkish Delight - Full of Eastern Promise.
  • Options
    tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Wasn't for British Gas, it was for Real Fires - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4tB6p6yGac

ahhh that's the one. its still got it. thanks Fizzbin:)
  • Options
    martinamerlotmartinamerlot Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PDJames wrote: »

Hilarious! I'm sitting here laughing like a loon! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Sony playstation advert.
  • Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the Smash advert were the spacemen laugh so much, that sticks in my mind.
    The Hamlet advert was another good one where he would take ages positioning himself in the photo booth then when the flash goes his chair falls!
    I just adored the one with Joan Collins and Leonard Rossiter with a drink. He always managers to spill the contents over her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It's too orangie for crows, it's just for me and my dog!"
    5 points to whoever remembers where that one is from :)

(No googling now! :D)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c0lefax wrote: »
    "It's too orangie for crows, it's just for me and my dog!"
    5 points to whoever remembers where that one is from :)

(No googling now! :D)

That's easy - Ki-ora (or however it's spelt) - 'I'll be your dog' :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigGayL wrote: »
    That's easy - Ki-ora (or however it's spelt) - 'I'll be your dog' :cool:

Winner! (Yea it was a bit easy)
  • Options
    mumofmitzymumofmitzy Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JukeJive wrote: »
    I can't remember how old I was at the time, but this one advert sticks in my mind. When people talk about something making them so sad that they cry ( it's usually a film or a book or a TV episode ) I always think of this old advert and grin inside. It made me so sad I'd well up with tears in my eyes each and every time it came on. It's an ad for a new Hoover which picks up all the crumbs at the edges of the carpet... so the poor little mouse has to leave home and find somewhere else to get it's food... it's a cartoon mouse with all it's posessions wrapped in a hanky in a pole across it's shoulder and a huge tear is falling down it's cheek as it's slowly walking away.

Ah bless...

I am crying just by your description:cry:
  • Options
    mumofmitzymumofmitzy Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full moon. Half moon. Total eclipse. :cool:

Ate a whole box in one day last week!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else remember the soup one with the scarecrow outside? It has a turnip for a head and comes inside when no-one is looking. Kinda creepy.

Have looked everywhere for it on YouTube but to no avail. I'd love to see it again.
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Oy - you're nicking my beer

Follow the bear

Get mash get Smash

The PG Tips chimps

I remembered loads from the C4/E4 "100 greatest TV ads" thing which they sometimes repeat, I was astounded at how long ago some of them were actually aired but I remember them well from childhood (I'm mid 30s now)
  • Options
    kalikikikankalikikikan Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    'Watch out, watch out, there's a Humphrey about.' for milk

Everyone's a Fwuit and Nutcase.... voice over from Frank Muir

Follow the Bear

The Lorraine Chase campari ad, 'Were you sent from Paradise.?'... 'Nah, Luton airport'

and I think my memory is playing tricks on me but I think there was one for eggs... something like 'e for b and Georgie Best
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fly fishing by J R Hartley. I remember it becoming a bit of a meme in the day with Harry Enfield doing a sketch on it with Tim looking for the book.

Maureen Lipman on them BT adverts, "He's got an ology!".

I'm trying to think of more but I was only about 7 or 8 at the time of these. Milk tray adverts with the james bond sort of theme, and one advert I remember vaguely was a woman eating a flake in the bath while there was an iguana on the telephone.
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The various Charley The Cat safety adverts.
  • Options
    laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benny1982 wrote: »
    Hi

How about the Toys R Us adverts from years ago when they sang "Theres millions of prezzies all under one roof, Its called Toy R Us, Toys R Us, Toys R Us, Toys R us.

The Equilon stomach settlers ads.

Ben

Sorry to be pedantic, but wasn't it "There's millions, said Geoffrey, all under one roof"? Geoffrey the Giraffe was the mascot or whatever you call it for Toys R Us. I used to think it sounded like "There's millions of Geoffreys" :D

Anyone remember the one for Nairn Cushionfloor (a fancy type of lino) where little cartoon bubble people lived underneath it and got squashed flat every time someone walked on it? I used to feel quite sorry for them :o

And finally the Country Life Butter ads featuring the Butter Men who would sing quaint West Country ditties and then turn into a lump of butter at the end. Way better than John Lydon :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c0lefax wrote: »
    Winner! (Yea it was a bit easy)

I await my promise 5 points with great anticipation :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Sierra XR4i - man and machine in perefect harmony

Moulinex makes things simple and that includes the price

Granada Rental - this clever leopards gone and changed his spots.

D-E-R - come in and play

Fine Fare - thats fine by me

Austin Metro - a british car to beat the world

Tip Top

J Sainsbury - where good food costs less

Saab 900 turbo - the aircraft manufacturer
  • Options
    benny1982benny1982 Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    Hi

Now you mention it that Toys R Us advert did say something like "Geoffrey". For a while I thought they said "Theres millions of Geoffrey all under one roof" but that didnt make sense as how can there be millions of Geoffrey so I assumed they said prezzies instead of Geoffrey.

The R Whites Lemonade advert where that man is dancing and I think he is miming.

Glade Plug It In from 1993.

Ben
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    benny1982 wrote: »
    Hi

The R Whites Lemonade advert where that man is dancing and I think he is miming.

Ben

I think thats Elvis Costello's Dad, but I'm too lazy to double check. Or maybe he wrote the music. Hey! there's nothing like a half-baked fact!