Options

BBC2 - Lambing Live

Comments

• Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think BBC should be thinking about not trying to cut costs for things which have been around a long time, and wasting money on other things. A whole week dedicated to something like Farming Live. I know they are trying to explore new levels of TV. Is it convincing all licence fee payers it's worth thousands of man hours & money to put this together?
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I can not really believe how much lightening equipment is in the shed where all the sheep are. This must be costing a hell a lot of time and money.

Very few people outside the industry appreciate how much time and money goes into making TV programmes.

I just think BBC should be thinking about not trying to cut costs for things which have been around a long time, and wasting money on other things. A whole week dedicated to something like Farming Live. I know they are trying to explore new levels of TV. Is it convincing all licence fee payers it's worth thousands of man hours & money to put this together?

I want to see 6Music saved as well, but there's no reason why both can't be afforded. Yes, this programme probably is quite costly but it's filling five hours of air time and I can pretty much guarantee it will get a respectable audience. I doubt it's costing as much as Springwatch.
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish Badger Watch would return
  • Options
    AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to watch this programme but found that within 8 minutes of the start I was wishing someone would shear the ubiquitous and annoying Humble and throw her in a vat of sheep dip! :mad:
  • Options
    farmermikefarmermike Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    All I can say to those of you who are knocking this programme, is how many of you predicted a regular 6 million audience for prime time Countryfile? By the end of its run, this is going to build a decent following. But why start up against Lark Rise?
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmermike wrote: »
    All I can say to those of you who are knocking this programme, is how many of you predicted a regular 6 million audience for prime time Countryfile? By the end of its run, this is going to build a decent following. But why start up against Lark Rise?

"Ratings" are the only thing that seem to matter to the BBC.
    BBC1 and BBC2 are run by different people.
    Regardless of any nonsense they might say, the two controllers of these channels will see each other as "rivals."
    Therefore they will sometimes offer "competitive" programmes at peak times, when really viewers would prefer "alternative" scheduling.
    No disrespect intended, but you've proved a point in that many who would watch a "feelgood" programme like "Larkrise" would also watch a programme about "cuddly lambs."

"I'm reliably informed" Kate Humble will soon be making a cameo appearance as a shepherdess in "Larkrise," bringing some of her lambs with her.

You heard it here first.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does my V-Box demand a "Pin" no to watch this? its on at 8pm, do they show the Lambs being Slaughtered at the end? (Haven't watched it till the end yet)
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    She's a favourite of the "BBC suits" as she has the most important quality required as a female presenter. "A face for television."
    She's been described in trailers as "an expert diver" and wait for it, in the credits of a documentary as "the naturalist."
    She belongs with Matt Baker on Blue Peter.

:yawn::yawn: No offence doghouse but you have said the same thing in about 20 threads. Whats the point of constantly repeating yourself.
    No one else shares your opinion. So why keep repeating the same rubbish in every thread, whenever theres a new factual show on the BBC. Its all very:yawn:
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    The BBC trust must be braveing themselves with complaints. Wasting TV licence fee on this, garbage.

How clueless are you? They only people, who complain to the trust are mail readers and they will lap this stuff up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    I wish Badger Watch would return

My vote's for beaver watch :cool:
  • Options
    b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    It was pretty well done, I'll be tuning in again despite Kate Humble's piss poor presentation ;)

the farmers wife would be better doing the presentation than kate humble . bet thats the first time shes had a pair of balls in her hand although shes married .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    :yawn::yawn: No offence doghouse but you have said the same thing in about 20 threads. Whats the point of constantly repeating yourself.
    No one else shares your opinion. So why keep repeating the same rubbish in every thread, whenever theres a new factual show on the BBC. Its all very:yawn:

Hmm..

"No offence" but, have you been appointed "official spokesperson" after so few posts?

"same"
    "constantly"
    "no one else"
    "same"
    "whenever"

Don't you think you're exaggerating just a tad? Why does it bother you what I post? When, conversely....
    Yawning twice? Perhaps you need some early nights?

Chill out, it's just a message board, it isn't important, try to see the humour in postings even though there's no smilies (they ain't compulsory).

You obviously liked this programme. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I wouldn't criticise you for doing so, why should I care?
  • Options
    emzi27emzi27 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm with you Doghouse. It really feels like people come in here just to critisise others. No control in real life maybe? I always feel like if I don't put IMO at the start of my sentence I will get lynched! Well IMO I didn't mind the program, it was good enough to forget to turn back over to ITV and I missed kieron's performance! We used to have sheep so it brought back some nice memories but I won't be rushing to watch it again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Hi all, I found this discussion about the Lambing Live series quite interesting. It is interesting to see the different attitudes to the series from different parts of society. I am part of a farming forum community and there is much criticism on there about the level of detail they are going into whilst on this forum the criticism is all about BBCs choice of subject! The one thing both have in common it seems is criticism :) Don't get me wrong, constructive criticism is good!

I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are on my lambing webcam website, which has become associated with the lambing live series as a result of it being highly ranked on google for related searches.

Our live webcam has been "lambing live" on the internet now for over 2 years and this year will be no different!

http://www.lambwatch.co.uk
  • Options
    comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who works in the farming community, i have got to say i am enjoying the programme. It is about time that the BBC notices the important role that farmers play and the media recognises how valable this industry is to the United Kingdom, because sadly some areas of the farming industry are in an incredibly worrying state of affairs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedy89 wrote: »
    As someone who works in the farming community, i have got to say i am enjoying the programme. It is about time that the BBC notices the important role that farmers play and the media recognises how valable this industry is to the United Kingdom, because sadly some areas of the farming industry are in an incredibly worrying state of affairs.

The BBC could help a lot more if they hadn't made "the new improved Countryfile" more about "young presenters doing stuff" rather than bringing farming issues to the attention of the public.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    The BBC could help a lot more if they hadn't made "the new improved Countryfile" more about "young presenters doing stuff" rather than bringing farming issues to the attention of the public.

Totally agree
  • Options
    JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    Interesting features, bit like Countryfile in places, which I enjoy. Farmer Adam is good, and it's fascinating to learn about the economics of farming. Kate H might be a looker, but she's also nutty! On the other hand the farmer's wife tonight would make a good presenter - clear, calm, articulate, good looking - be surprised if she doesn't get media work in the future.
    b.lever wrote: »
    the farmers wife would be better doing the presentation than kate humble . bet thats the first time shes had a pair of balls in her hand although shes married .

I'm probably biased in that I'm not a fan of the over excitable Ms Humble, but I agree that the farmer's wife is very watchable. She's knowledgable but manages to explain things well while remaining calm!!

I could imagine her fronting other farming/nature programmes - experts who have first hand experience are always better than those without and she has an easy manner.

As far as costs for the programme go, it will have cost thousands less than a programme with actors and rented locations.

I'm sure there is an audience for the programme and although I've only watched 2 out of 4 thus far, I have no objection to the money spent.
  • Options
    ScrumperScrumper Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next year she'll be back at the slaughter house for Lamb Chop Live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member

Agreed.

I'm tired of the "Blue Peter-isation" of the countryside.

"Ooh look a bunny wabbit". Ooh lets go paragliding. Lets go jumping of cliffs.

It's a great programme for city folk who view the countryside as a playground who can get into their cars and clog up the roads at the weekend (hey, it's ok though, their sandwiches are organic......). Ever been on the M5 on Friday night?

But it's not really what Countryfile should be for.

I don't care about the audience figures for Countryfile. It should be a programme about farming and country issues with good journalistic reporters. Like it was until recently until the BBC farmed out anyone female and over the age of 40.

Countryfile, Lambchop Watch, Animal Park (and any other programme involving Humble, Fogle and Co.) make Blue Peter look gritty in comparison.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A neighbour of mine has enjoyed this enormously, she was a country gal in early life but not today, so as a kind of informed if not too detailed view of the countryside it seems to have been just right for her.
  • Options
    m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Groundhog wrote: »
    But it's not really what Countryfile should be for.

I don't care about the audience figures for Countryfile. It should be a programme about farming and country issues with good journalistic reporters. Like it was until recently until the BBC farmed out anyone female and over the age of 40.
    Well the BBC care about ratings. And Countryfile is still about farming, rural issues and pursuits, so I don't see your problem. Ratings have frequently topped the the 6m viewer mark, much more than was expected for this type of programme. As for Lambing Live, it too has done well gaining over a more than respectable 3m viewers for BBC2. So you see, viewers (including myself) like these programmes. By the way Kate Humble is over 40, and Julia Bradbury in Countryfile is under 40, so your argument doesn't hold up there either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gareth56 wrote: »
    There's the BBC threatening to close 2 radio stations and they go and put this garbage on for 5 nights.

The BBC's needs to re-examine its priorities.

Very good point. It was hardly riveting TV. One night would have been enough.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    A documentary on Motown by Martin Freeman has been shifted to after midnight to make way for...highlights of Lambing Live! What highlights!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    m06een00 wrote: »
    Well the BBC care about ratings. And Countryfile is still about farming, rural issues and pursuits, so I don't see your problem. Ratings have frequently topped the the 6m viewer mark, much more than was expected for this type of programme. As for Lambing Live, it too has done well gaining over a more than respectable 3m viewers for BBC2. So you see, viewers (including myself) like these programmes. By the way Kate Humble is over 40, and Julia Bradbury in Countryfile is under 40, so your argument doesn't hold up there either.

Obviously ratings are important but it's only because they've dumbed it down, got some totty in and moved it to prime time. People like watching it. Fine. Good for them.

But the reason it gets good ratings is because it isn't what Countryfile was intended for. It's very well made. I don't have a problem with that but why call it Countryfile? John Craven gets a few minutes to do his "thing". i.e being a journalist. Adam's Farm is always interesting and he's very good. It's all the froth and Blue Peter nonsense that shows where the dumbing down (sorry, ratings chasing) has taken place.

It's so patronising. I feel like I'm being spoken to like a 12 year old when I watch it (and anything with Humble and co.). Obviously people enjoy this format. Good for them.

In the "good ol' days" (;)) the BBC had Countryfile for the serious stuff and Country Tracks for the messing about.

As for women of a 'certain age'. I was wrong about 40. I should have said 50.
    The former Countryfile presenter Miriam O'Reilly is to sue the BBC for age and sex discrimination after she was one of four female presenters dropped as part of a revamp of the BBC1 show, according to a report today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/feb/02/countryfile-miriam-oreilly-sue-bbc