Options

My house can't function normally without free supermarket carrier bags

Comments

• Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Been a Lidl shopper for a year now, and as there are no free plastic bags in that store we are already living without free plastic bags.

Firstly, the long life heavy duty lidls bag last for many months. Don't bother buying the normal lidl plastic bags.

We can buy bin liners and other small plastic bags very chaply.
    yes I do the same with black bags for rubbish but then how are we helping if plastic is so hard to dispose of.. why not sell large stronger paper bags that can decompose.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BUY? Did you deliberately miss the whole point?

We are being forced to pay now for something we should get free.

So yes we are now being forced as we won't be able to get what has been given free of charge for 100s of years thank to liberal hippies and their green nonsense being forced on everyone.

Classic.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Since the charge for all bags started my household is struggling to live without free carrier bags. We used to always have a pile of about 50 sitting in the kitchen and now there is never any.

Taking may sandwiches to work I need to throw them in a bag, now I can never find one!!

Cooked half a pizza and left half in the fridge, no carrier bag to wrap it up in!!

Went to swimming, used to always take 3 carrier bags for the wet stuff after swim, now no bags for wet stuff!!

Muddy trainers or wellies, now no carrier bags to put them in!!

It might be good for the environment, but how am I meant to cope with no bags!!

Lol, I feel your pain, I thought I was the only person in the world struggling through the day without a wodge of carrier bags.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After some reflection, it appears I may have been a little harsh in my previous opinions on the British Empire. Whatever its failings, it was quite a feat of human endeavour to have achieved all that conquest and colonisation without free carrier bags.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,053
    Forum Member
    When does the new charge for bags in all supermarkets come in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    When does the new charge for bags in all supermarkets come in?
    in Scotland it started last year I think..but then we get all the good stuff first like the Poll Tax;-)
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

So yes we are now being forced as we won't be able to get what has been given free of charge for 100s of years thank to liberal hippies and their green nonsense being forced on everyone.

Plastic bags have never been free. Now you may have to pay for them directly up front. Before that the cost was incorporated into the general price of items.

Next you'll be telling me that sofa sales from places like DFS are not making a profit in spite of the discounts.

In other words, you've always been paying for your plastic bags. Now you may have to pay directly, whereas before you paid indirectly.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    After some reflection, it appears I may have been a little harsh in my previous opinions on the British Empire. Whatever its failings, it was quite a feat of human endeavour to have achieved all that conquest and colonisation without free carrier bags.

The EIC and the British Army provided bags for life free of charge
  • Options
    caroilcaroil Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    calamity wrote: »
    in Scotland it started last year I think..but then we get all the good stuff first like the Poll Tax;-)

And even you were late to the party as the little heard of part of the UK, Wales, has had the charge since 2011 and the completely forgotten part, Northen Ireland, since 2013.Yet the sky hasn't fallen in and people still seem to alive. Of course now it is going to affect England it is headline news!:D
  • Options
    puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Why should shops give you a bigger bag than what is actually needed for what you've bought from them? :confused:

because it is frustrating like i've already said and i can actually shop elsewhere. the tiny bags are so small you can't hardly carry them by the handles, or the handles snap and you end up putting it under your arm, so then it isn't technically a carrier bag anymore is it if it's too tiny or fragile to carry anything the clue is in the carry part. don't even get me started on the passive aggressive assistants who been told to sit there dumb and not even ask you do you want a bag and i just continue to stand there waiting for them to ask me do you want a bag with that to which my answer is always what do you think considering i just bought multiple things, have only got one pair of hands,may very well go into further shops i would not like to be mistaken for a shoplifter clutching random goods unbagged
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    because it is frustrating like i've already said and i can actually shop elsewhere. the tiny bags are so small you can't hardly carry them by the handles, or the handles snap and you end up putting it under your arm, so then it isn't technically a carrier bag anymore is it if it's too tiny or fragile to carry anything the clue is in the carry part. don't even get me started on the passive aggressive assistants who been told to sit there dumb and not even ask you do you want a bag and i just continue to stand there waiting for them to ask me do you want a bag with that to which my answer is always what do you think considering i just bought multiple things, have only got one pair of hands,may very well go into further shops i would not like to be mistaken for a shoplifter clutching random goods unbagged

Of course they should give you decent bags, but you can't really insist they are big and strong enough to put all your personal stuff in as well!

And the assistant doesn't know whether you have your own bag or not, to put things in.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Been a Lidl shopper for a year now, and as there are no free plastic bags in that store we are already living without free plastic bags.

Firstly, the long life heavy duty lidls bag last for many months. Don't bother buying the normal lidl plastic bags.

We can buy bin liners and other small plastic bags very chaply.

In Lidl last weekend, someone was doing their shopping and clearly had never been in Lidl store before because as her goods were going through the checkout, she wandered round almost to the guy scanning her products and picked up a few bags assuming they were free as per all the other supermarkets in town.

She'd been such a pain in the arse up to that point (kept wandering off to get other items mid-scanning, made the checkout guy go over to the shelves to confirm prices) that he didn't bother asking her to pay for them so she got them for free.

Result!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tumbleweed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Since the charge for all bags started my household is struggling to live without free carrier bags. We used to always have a pile of about 50 sitting in the kitchen and now there is never any.

Taking may sandwiches to work I need to throw them in a bag, now I can never find one!!

Cooked half a pizza and left half in the fridge, no carrier bag to wrap it up in!!

Went to swimming, used to always take 3 carrier bags for the wet stuff after swim, now no bags for wet stuff!!

Am I the only one who is slightly grossed out by the idea of wrapping food in an old carrier bag?! Whatever happened to cling film???
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who is slightly grossed out by the idea of wrapping food in an old carrier bag?! Whatever happened to cling film???

No you're not, I'm thinking all sorts of germs.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    The ridiculous comments on this thread are amazing!

"Why should you get bags free when the supermartket has to pay for them?"
    The shop has ALWAYS for hundreds of years paid for the bag and just see it as a thing they should supply - Then alone comes this hippy crap and people start posing that it's all now the fault of the customer to dare question their hippy nonsense.

That is what I and many others have been doing for hundreds of years and now it is changing and yet the hippies say that I'm not being forced. I am as I can no longer carry on doing what has been perfectly normal in history.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member

The hippies will tell you that it's now your job to waste your time and your paid for water washing them out, but apparently all that is not forcing anything on you.

Yes you will be forced to be green and for the council to get you to work for them whilst they make the money and you get nothing.
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who works in retail I love reading these threads.Actually cannot wait for England to start charging. Some people can be self righteous about carrier bags it buys me.
  • Options
    Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member

1 - Get a lunch box or use an old tupperware container or ice cream container

2 - Ever heard of cling film or bacofoil? Or how about a plastic container?

3 - Get a cheap sports bag from Sports direct and put it inside you existing bag. Dont tell me you just rock up with some plastic bags :o

4 - You can always ask the neighbours, also bags for life cost pennies and are replaced free by supermarkets.

Thousands shop at Lidle/Aldi every week and cope. I am no tree hugger but the world does not need more plastic bags, look how many there are floating about on a windy day.

Also for those who have loads at home you can recycle at most large supermarket chains. :)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

Yeah well you don't get something for nothing anymore. Deal with it.
    By your logic charging for anything is an infringement.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hippies will tell you that it's now your job to waste your time and your paid for water washing them out, but apparently all that is not forcing anything on you.

Yes you will be forced to be green and for the council to get you to work for them whilst they make the money and you get nothing.

Is David Cameron a hippy?
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    The ridiculous comments on this thread are amazing!

"Why should you get bags free when the supermartket has to pay for them?"
    The shop has ALWAYS for hundreds of years paid for the bag and just see it as a thing they should supply - Then alone comes this hippy crap and people start posing that it's all now the fault of the customer to dare question their hippy nonsense.

That is what I and many others have been doing for hundreds of years and now it is changing and yet the hippies say that I'm not being forced. I am as I can no longer carry on doing what has been perfectly normal in history.

The irony of you talking about ridiculous comments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The government who have passed these laws are the ones in big gas guzzling cars, big houses with many rooms to heat and light.. holidays abroad three or four times a year in planes .. so dont get me started on saving the planet when they think our poly bags are destroying it.... I have a small house that doesnt use much electricity or gas.. I dont buy newspapers anymore or magazines.. I recylcle all my cardboard and cans.. and happy to do it.. what annoys me is the hypocrisy of them telling us what to do..
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    The government who have passed these laws are the ones in big gas guzzling cars, big houses with many rooms to heat and light.. holidays abroad three or four times a year in planes .. so dont get me started on saving the planet when they think our poly bags are destroying it.... I have a small house that doesnt use much electricity or gas.. I dont buy newspapers anymore or magazines.. I recylcle all my cardboard and cans.. and happy to do it.. what annoys me is the hypocrisy of them telling us what to do..

So basically they aren't hippies then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    RiDsTeR wrote: »
    As someone who works in retail I love reading these threads.Actually cannot wait for England to start charging. Some people can be self righteous about carrier bags it buys me.

Its not really about the bags. Its just another thing for Joe public to put up with. Its not doing anything for the environment, if the government were worried about that, we would not have the stupid amount of packaging on food and other items. Its just one more thing to get us to toe the line, to be good citizens. So many fall for this rubbish all the time.