Options

Doctor 11 - who do you want

Comments

• Options
    The LensThe Lens Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Just to pull on that thread until it falls apart...

Unless the next incarnation of the Doctor said "Oh I remember this adventure, umm that means you have exactly 74 days left or if you prefer that's 72 meals, 128 visits to the toilet or 11 alien encounters...sometimes more than one of those at the same time." then the Doctor surely wouldn't have any know sense of his time running out then you are I do.

We both know that some day we will die, though we have no idea why or when. The Doctor whould be no different. He is though in a far better position than us because he knows that when that fateful day day does arrive, he gets another go afterwards.

In another way though The Doctor is in a worse position than us. If we were told "You will die in Inverness on October 31st, 2024" then we'd know we have exactly 16 years to go (if we believed such a looney of course). But say the same to The Doctor and he doesn't know if he is due to step out of the Tardis into Inverness in 2024 tomorrow, the next day, three months time, sixteen years time, or seventy eight years later.

Of course on the day he does look down and see a copy of the Inverness News dated October 31st, 2024 he might think "Oh C/ck". :D

The Doctor would NEVER pass on that information to his previous incarnation, just as River Song wouldn't divulge any of her "spoilers".

The Doctor cannot interfere with his own (or anyone else's) timeline or risk changing history.

That will, I'm sure, be a big part of the Christmas special. The "next" Doctor knows when his tenth self will die, but he is absolutely powerless to do anything about it...
  • Options
    hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A black timelord...right...

Like the one we saw in The Sound of Drums, right? (Which I thought was daft)

This is a crazy idea.... like having a yellow Andorian. This isn't about racism but about history.

It's like the people who want a female Doctor.

The Doctor's a white bloke....

Paterson Joseph is a brilliant actor and he's usually fab in everything he does.... but casting him in the role of the Doctor would be inappropriate.

My vote would be for Bill Nighy, Sean Pertwee or Michael Sheen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardylane wrote: »

This is a crazy idea.... like having a yellow Andorian. This isn't about racism but about history.

Paterson Joseph is a brilliant actor and he's usually fab in everything he does.... but casting him in the role of the Doctor would be inappropriate.

My vote would be for Bill Nighy, Sean Pertwee or Michael Sheen

Why shouldn't there be a black Time Lord? What history have we seen to show that they all have to be white? We've seen relatively little of them, and so what you say is like saying that just because there are no black people in The Invasion, Inferno and Earthshock, it automatically means that all humans are white! :eek:

The Doctor's a bloke, but he's changed his physique and hair colour many times, so why not his colour? I'd hate to have a woman Doctor, but the only difference if we had a black Doctor would be a slight difficulty when trying to blend into surroundings in historicals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why shouldn't there be a black Time Lord? What history have we seen to show that they all have to be white? We've seen relatively little of them, and so what you say is like saying that just because there are no black people in The Invasion, Inferno and Earthshock, it automatically means that all humans are white! :eek:

The Doctor's a bloke, but he's changed his physique and hair colour many times, so why not his colour?

He's never been ginger though...:(
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Now this idea I do kind of like....would be a quirky choice though,so probably won't happen....:)

Stephen Fry is probably too old (as in, my age) and definitely not agile/athletic enough.

I'd like to see Catherine Tate, but not as Donna Noble. I don't want a human Doctor, but perhaps they could come up with some explanation having to do with the aborted regeneration in Journey's End causing her DNA to imprint on him or some such nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd hate to have a woman Doctor, but the only difference if we had a black Doctor would be a slight difficulty when trying to blend into surroundings in historicals.

They'd just do what they did with Martha - ignore it when they wanted to, and make an issue of it when they wanted to do that. In most historical periods a dark-skinned man dressed appropriately is less of an anomally, after all, than a light-skinned man in an early 2000s pinstriped suit and trainers.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the Chameleon Circuit at work. They don't notice the attire (unless it's needed for plot purposes) or anything else the writer doesn't want them to.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,480
    Forum Member
    I guess they're going to stick with someone between about 28 and 40. The Doctor is becoming an increasingly physical role and I expect them to keep opting for relative youth as opposed to going back to a 'Grandad' figure again, which would rule out a lot of suggestions.

Besides, the promotional benefits of a reasonably good looking lead (with possible chemistry with a companion) is too good to turn away from. That said, they might want to opt for more of thoughtful, Ecclestone-type Doctor as opposed to the sheer manic pace of Tennant.

I don't expect an absolutely massive name - more one of those actors who've been in a few dramas - but haven't been in anything that defines them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sn_22 wrote: »
    I don't expect an absolutely massive name - more one of those actors who've been in a few dramas - but haven't been in anything that defines them.

Absolutely. It was hard enough for Catherine Tate to overcome the weight of all the characters she'd played on a sketch comedy show. Mind you, as with Peter Davison, there's no reason it couldn't be someone who's played a supporting role in something.
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Coyle gets my vote
  • Options
    hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Doctor's a bloke, but he's changed his physique and hair colour many times, so why not his colour? I'd hate to have a woman Doctor, but the only difference if we had a black Doctor would be a slight difficulty when trying to blend into surroundings in historicals.

Because pigment is genetic. His appearance might change, but his Gallifreyan DNA??

Black, woman... no different... both wrong
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because pigment is genetic. His appearance might change, but his Gallifreyan DNA??

That's ridiculous so Gallifreyans are all white are they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You still haven't given any possible reason why a Gallifreyan can't be black.

Pigment is genetic, but so is hair colour, eye-colour, height etc., and all of these have changed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    I think John Simm would make an excellent Doctor. I would also love Chris to return.
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're talking rubbish. Romana was nearly blue FFS!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think someone is taking this way too seriously. It's science fiction not science fact, the Doctor is a fictional character of a fictional race, you speak of his "Gallifreyan DNA" as if we were discussing real science.

Changing his skin colour would be no less logical than drastically changing his general apperance like he does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Howabout Richard E Grant to reprise his role?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Sue Pollard - its rubbish she rubbish perfect
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think John Simm would make an excellent Doctor. I would also love Chris to return.

John Simm would be great but wouldn't it be a bit weird given how he's previously played the Master? I know PD had a role in DW before he was cast as the Fifth Doctor, but AFAIK it wasn't as major as Simm's.

Mind you I agree about Chris, as long as he dressed differently and played the part from a somewhat different angle I think I could warm to him as the Eleventh Doctor. His tenture as the Ninth was far too short. I think we're more likely to see William Hartnell return though. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moira Stuart
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its going to be catherine tate.................. isnt it??? would love eccleston to come back. would love david to continue
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You idiot. Everything is genetic - hair colour, face structure, skin colour, eye colour, height, foot size. You can't say the doctor can't change skin colour because it's genetic, but oh it's okay for him to change everything else.
    It' just you trying desperately to disguise your infantile prejudice.

They should simply choose the best available actor, and leave it at that. Personally i would be very happy with david morrisey as the doctor. If anyone else has seen his amazing performance in state of play they will know why. Or paddy considine, although he's almost an a-list movie star now so probably a bit out of reach. Or Mark Strong who, above anything else, has serious Authority, with a capital A.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member

So could you tell us what percentage of black (or i assume asian) ancestry disqualifies someone from playing the dr in you eyes?
    or is it more an issue that you have a dulux like colour chart in which case please explain the darkest shade eligible
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK the next doctor should (even has) to be Peter Davidson :D

Now follow me round on this -

What we could have is PD emerging from the TARDIS shower (it has to have 1 surely) and everything that happened since was all a bad dream

I know this might have been done before but think about it - no Colin Baker being grumpy wearing the worst coat ever, no Sylvester McCoy (surely that is enough) and the just plain annoying Ace, no licourice allsort monster, no film made for the americans, no Chris Eccleston being grumpy and wearing the same jumper for a year, Peter Kay, Billie's teeth, the amazing reset switch the universe seemed to have installed

It makes sense people - come on you know it

OK if I can't have that can we have Eddie Izzard ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matthew007 wrote: »
    OK the next doctor should (even has) to be Peter Davidson :D

Now follow me round on this -

What we could have is PD emerging from the TARDIS shower (it has to have 1 surely) and everything that happened since was all a bad dream

I know this might have been done before but think about it - no Colin Baker being grumpy wearing the worst coat ever, no Sylvester McCoy (surely that is enough) and the just plain annoying Ace, no licourice allsort monster, no film made for the americans, no Chris Eccleston being grumpy and wearing the same jumper for a year, Peter Kay, Billie's teeth, the amazing reset switch the universe seemed to have installed

It makes sense people - come on you know it

OK if I can't have that can we have Eddie Izzard ??

That would mean The Caves of Androzani didn't happen by default. Therefore it's made of fail. ;)

Not to mention the fact that a lot of people, um, rather like the last four years (including me, of course). David Tennant is actually, um, rather popular! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Richard Coyle has to be favourite, surely.

Steven Moffat isn't going to be interested in casting a shallow buffoon. He'll naturally look at people he's successfully worked with in the past. I assume he'll want someone with comic ability, doctorish energy, and depth, all of which RC has.

The idea of Doctor Who with a hint of Coupling is just so mouth watering!!!

He'll look around, I suppose, but RC has got to be near the top of the list already - unless he doesn't want it, of course.