Options

What else is "unusual" about the USA and Americans?

Comments

• Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    That's a point i'd forgotten about. Obviously we do have automatic cars you can rent and buy here though the majority are manual (stick shift as you call it). Larger cars such as Mercedes tend to be more automatic with less manual.

Not sure how the US Driving Licence works but here in the UK if you pass your Driving Test in an automatic then you are only qualified to drive 'auto'....not manual. If you take your test in a manual transmission car you are allowed to drive either.

If you qualify to drive a car, you are qualified to drive manual or automatic. There are separate qualifications for multi axle vehicles like behemoth RVs and trucks. Motorcycles also have a separate qualification. In some states, drivers under 21 may face additional restrictions about passengers and driving at night. That's a fairly recent drvelopment, however.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I resisted the temptation to :p:p though!

Thought some of them hilarious......."LITERALLY NO IDEA SORRY" for virtually all of Europe! :o

Interesting that most at least managed to locate Russia.

Hhmm.....i wonder why? ;-)

Because we are all incredibly stupid (we aren't but it makes people happy to think we are, presumably it makes people feel better about themselves) and of course you posted it seeing your thread moving down the page and thought you'd dangle some bait.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're state licenses not US licenses.
    Ah you mean your registration plate? Is that the driving licence.....or vehicle tax?
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I resisted the temptation to :p:p though!

Thought some of them hilarious......."LITERALLY NO IDEA SORRY" for virtually all of Europe! :o

Interesting that most at least managed to locate Russia.

Hhmm.....i wonder why? ;-)

I thought some of them were pretty good.

But I can go tit for tat too- Half of the 2,000 people surveyed (51%) wrongly believe English is the most spoken language in the world, as opposed to Mandarin Chinese. And one in 10 think Everest is Britain's highest mountain.
    http://www.theguardian.com/education/2008/nov/19/bad-at-geography
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah you mean your registration plate? Is that the driving licence.....or vehicle tax?

And I thought we were supposed to be the stupid ones. :p That's a license plate.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard of a contactless payment card. Have I been an American for all these years and not realised it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because we are all incredibly stupid (we aren't but it makes people happy to think we are, presumably it makes people feel better about themselves) and of course you posted it seeing your thread moving down the page and thought you'd dangle some bait.
    No need to....the 'swim' is alive and well.
  • Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    :D Hooray! Someone posted *that* video, and I was sure the British one would get rolled out in response.
    We never learn, do we? :p

Excellent...!! Some argument at last. Not just a series of disconnected statements that never go anywhere which is what the majority of threads on this site end up as.

Of course there is a British one. There had to be. Who is going to have something like that drifting around the internet without it ever being challenged? I'm glad there is a British equivalent. Who would want to be ignored..? As Oscar Wilde once said: "The only thing worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about." He knew a thing or two, did Oscar.

So..... what does it all prove..? That Americans really are stupid..? Of course not. I wondered, at the time, just how many hours of "interviews" the Aussie who cobbled it all together had to make in order to get his five minutes of usable clips. Perhaps the odd twenty dollar bill changed hands too, for an iffy quote. Nudge nudge, wink, wink.

And so it is with such things. The more we emphasise our differences, the more alike we are. There is more similarity between "us and them" than there are differences.

In reply to Brooklyn Boy and his Rounders, well, I went to see the Yankees play when I was in New York many years ago and left feeling immensely pleased that nobody could ever call cricket the most boring game on earth ever again.

Now, that is something that we REALLY DO differ about.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I've never heard of a contactless payment card. Have I been an American for all these years and not realised it?

You never saw this advert? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WlRcXIO5ik
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I can see, driving on any foreign licence, in GB, is acceptable for 12 months (including State Licenses). Note that GB does not include Northern Ireland.
    Probably why Bill Clinton always gets a chauffeur when he visits Stormont.

However, Rental and Insurance companies may impose additional requirements (such as an International Drivers Permit) or refuse to accept the business for their own reasons.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

http://www.theamerican.co.uk/pr/driving.php
  • Options
    oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Every car has a license plate, just like anywhere else. You also have a driver's license, which has to be renewed like every 10 years or something. You also have to have a vehicle inspection sticker, which usually goes somewhere on your windscreen. This shows that your car passes air quality and general safety inspection. You also have to register your car every year and pay a tax and fee, for which you get a sticker that either goes on your windscreen, or in some states on your license plate. The last thing is that you have to insure your car and carry proof of insurance in your vehicle.

If you let your inspection or registration lapse you can get a ticket if you're pulled over. Same with insurance. If you don't have a license I don't know what happens, probably a big ticket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I thought we were supposed to be the stupid ones. :p That's a license plate.
    That doesn't answer the original question which concerned driving licences.....a licence to drive 'a vehicle'.
    Not sure how the US Driving Licence works but here in the UK if you pass your Driving Test in an automatic then you are only qualified to drive 'auto'....not manual. If you take your test in a manual transmission car you are allowed to drive either.
    to which you replied;
    They're state licenses not US licenses.
    So are you saying a US licence plate is your Driving licence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't answer the original question which concerned driving licences.....a licence to drive 'a vehicle'.

to which you replied;
    So are you saying a US licence plate is your Driving licence?

No I am not saying that at all and you're baiting. Two other posters have answered all your questions about the subject already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    In reply to Brooklyn Boy and his Rounders, well, I went to see the Yankees play when I was in New York many years ago and left feeling immensely pleased that nobody could ever call cricket the most boring game on earth ever again.

"Rounders"?!!! :o:o

I'm surprised you didn't get deported....or shot!! :D:D
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

To be fair, some of those are not bad. I suspect there are some British students who couldn't do much better and we live in the same continent!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every state has its own rules and regulations and does its own driver's licenses. We don't have a national driving licence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent...!! Some argument at last. Not just a series of disconnected statements that never go anywhere which is what the majority of threads on this site end up as.

Of course there is a British one. There had to be. Who is going to have something like that drifting around the internet without it ever being challenged? I'm glad there is a British equivalent. Who would want to be ignored..? As Oscar Wilde once said: "The only thing worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about." He knew a thing or two, did Oscar.

So..... what does it all prove..? That Americans really are stupid..? Of course not. I wondered, at the time, just how many hours of "interviews" the Aussie who cobbled it all together had to make in order to get his five minutes of usable clips. Perhaps the odd twenty dollar bill changed hands too, for an iffy quote. Nudge nudge, wink, wink.

And so it is with such things. The more we emphasise our differences, the more alike we are. There is more similarity between "us and them" than there are differences.

That's nice. At least I'm not so stupid as to go and pay to watch a sport I think is the most boring game on earth. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a reverse conundrum. If Brits don't play baseball why on your TV shows during 'scary stuff is about to happen' scenes do people pull baseball and not rounders bats out from under their beds or from their back seats?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Known in the UK as a registration plate. I believe they are administered differently though. I think in America, you tend to take your plate with you between cars? In the UK, they are almost always associated with the car (which also has a vehicle identification number to identify the chassis) - unless you have paid for a special number that is either short or reads like a word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I am not saying that at all and you're baiting.
    I'm not 'baiting' at all.....not my style even though you appear to think so. It's a genuine question.

What we call Driving licence it seems you call State licence....is that correct or not?

If so the next thing i want to know is does that restrict the holder to driving only within that State.....or what?

Genuine question!!!
    Every state has its own rules and regulations and does its own driver's licenses. We don't have a national driving licence.
    Thank you........thats what i was after and only just spotted your post!

So if driving say from east to west coast, do you need to apply for a licence in each State or does your New York (for examples sake) licence cover you through all States en rout to the West coast?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Nowt wrong with cricket!! :)
    I was playing in an inter-village match last weekend. We were all terrible, but that's not the point - the point is that the rest of the villagers can take a picnic rug and laugh at us playing, and that during the tea break, the ladies put on a marvellous spread of sandwiches and cream cakes (and some nice local ales to boot!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not 'baiting' at all.....not my style even though you appear to think so. It's a genuine question.

What we call Driving licence it seems you call State licence....is that correct or not?

If so the next thing i want to know is does that restrict the holder to driving only within that State.....or what?

Genuine question!!!
    Sorry, don't believe you.

That said, I didn't say we call them state licenses. They're Drivers Licenses. I said they aren't US licenses, they're state licenses. That's because they're issued by each state as another poster has already told you which is why I don't think you are genuinely interested at all.

As to your last point, you have a UK license, does that mean you can't drive elsewhere in the EU? No, it doesn't and here if you have a New Jersey license for example, it doesn't mean you couldn't drive in Maryland. If you move from one state to another however you do have to change your license to one from the state you move to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a reverse conundrum. If Brits don't play baseball why on your TV shows during 'scary stuff is about to happen' scenes do people pull baseball and not rounders bats out from under their beds or from their back seats?

Probably because you can do more damage with a baseball bat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, don't believe you.

That said, I didn't say we call them state licenses. I said they aren't US licenses, they're state licenses. That's because they're issued by each state as another poster has already told you which is why I don't think you are genuinely interested at all.

As to your last point, you have a UK license, does that mean you can't drive elsewhere in the EU? No, it doesn't and here if you have a New Jersey license for example, it doesn't mean you couldn't drive in Maryland. If you move from one state to another however you do have to change your license to one from the state you move to.

Worryingly, you can drive in the UK for a year on a licence from anywhere. I have friends who have licences gained in India, where at best you drive for a few hundred yards and you pass, or better still you don't set foot in a car and pay the man a bit extra and they give you a licence! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Known in the UK as a registration plate. I believe they are administered differently though. I think in America, you tend to take your plate with you between cars? In the UK, they are almost always associated with the car (which also has a vehicle identification number to identify the chassis) - unless you have paid for a special number that is either short or reads like a word.

Cars here have VIN (vehicle identification numbers) etched into the frame. Those don't change. Licence plates are issued to the car and registered by the state. They can be changed out for personalised plates or a new number could be issued or the plate could be transfered to a new car within the state. That is a variable situation depending on the jurisdiction.

What isn't variable is that every year there is a yearly registration fee. Most states issue a little adhesive backed tag that is affixed to the licence plate so that at a glance you can tell it's up to date.