Options

What else is "unusual" about the USA and Americans?

Comments

• Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    :D Hooray! Someone posted *that* video, and I was sure the British one would get rolled out in response.
    We never learn, do we? :p

haha, I only do it to make a point! Unlike Corkhead I don't live by stereotypes and I don't subscribe to collective guilt.

I like to think I'm slightly more sophisticated than your average DS WUM. :p
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    We don't pay for everything with plastic. There are BYOB restaurants that are cash or check only. I find that paying cash makes me more aware of what I'm spending.

I'm such a spoiled, brat, American. I hate "cash only" places. The ATM is out of the way, and even then I almost never have more than $20 in cash in my wallet. Grr, it just makes me peeved thinking about it, I try to avoid them, it also makes me wonder how many of them are just fronts for money laundering, lol.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Why don't ex-pats drive in the UK (if they don't get a company car)?

Is it the cost, or nowhere to park the car in big cities or other reasons?

My Texas chum simply couldn't do with the stress (he had a hire car). London is brutal and unforgiving at first sight. The man was no wuss and is an Anglophile.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Checks are still common here. I like that I can deposit them in my account using an app on my phone just by taking a photo of the check.

What do they normally get used for?
    I've still got my old chequebook, but I notice even before they stopped processing them, I hadn't had need to use one for years (2003 was the last one I wrote!). It used to be for when you wanted to give money to friends and stuff, but since the internet, that hasn't really been necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm such a spoiled, brat, American. I hate "cash only" places. The ATM is out of the way, and even then I almost never have more than $20 in cash in my wallet. Grr, it just makes me peeved thinking about it, I try to avoid them, it also makes me wonder how many of them are just fronts for money laundering, lol.

It's probably because they're on very narrow margins and they don't want to pay the merchant transaction fees.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've still got my old chequebook, but I notice even before they stopped processing them, I hadn't had need to use one for years (2003 was the last one I wrote!). It used to be for when you wanted to give money to friends and stuff, but since the internet, that hasn't really been necessary.

We use them when we haven't got any gold pieces or magic beans to perform trading transactions with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get checks from my in-laws for my birthday and we pay the window cleaner and dance teachers with them, so they haven't completely disappeared here.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I take it you mean stopped processing cheques in shops? Cheques are still used otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mostly rent I think, sometimes utilities or the cable company charges an extra fee for processing card payments. Old women in front of me in the supermarket always use checks and it always takes them 10 minutes to pull out their ID, it's the only time I ever feel like punching senior citizens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A lot of people won't know how to drive stick shift....and it's the other side of the road. I can do it when visiting but a lot can't.

Automatics are available if you want them! :D

And we switch everything around in the cabin too, so all you have to remember is to do everything back to front and its easy.
    But don't reverse when you mean to go forward; I just mean left<->right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We use them when we haven't got any gold pieces or magic beans to perform trading transactions with.

Ahhh........makes sense.......
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I can definitely relate to that- I miss driving and my car so much. Even more than chili rellenos, I think.

The other thing that stood out were pickles, apparently ours, are not like yours. I dont like them so would not have a clue :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other thing that stood out were pickles, apparently ours, are not like yours. I dont like them so would not have a clue :D

Yep. It's a Kosher dill or nothing for me!
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Oh that's an issue with self confidence then. Odd really as my ex-wife is Swiss and had never driven in UK before she met me, but soon picked it up. They have to want to do it first though.

Its not really odd. Your wife was just one person, I'm not saying no Americans drive here, but a lot didn't who were on that forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    I take it you mean stopped processing cheques in shops? Cheques are still used otherwise.

Yes, I meant for retail. According to the UK Payments Council, it's not until 2018 that clearing houses won't accept them.

I guess we still have elderly folk who don't like using phone banking (or internet banking) who need to pay tradesmen. I guess by 2018, most trades will be able to have 3G/LTE C&P readers.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Driving is big cities is stressful and frightening these days.

I drove in, across and around London (M25, North and South Circulars) for 20 years and hate it now. In fact it often seems to take 20 years to get anywhere.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BYOBs, though? Usually they are start up restaurants that don't want the hassle of credit cards. The chefs are probably way above average, but without a liquor license, they aren't bringing in a big profit. At worst they might not be reporting all the cash they take in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably because they're on very narrow margins and they don't want to pay the merchant transaction fees.

Yeah I can see that in some cases. I even understand it to a point, it's just not at all convenient for me.
    BYOBs, though? Usually they are start up restaurants that don't want the hassle of credit cards. The chefs are probably way above average, but without a liquor license, they aren't bringing in a big profit. At worst they might not be reporting all the cash they take in.

I don't mean special things like that, I mean the little or sometimes big shops, that usually have a bunch of annoying rules including cash only. They don't take cards, they have no return policy, signs about how children need to be supervised, you know the kind.

I mean like I aspire to support little mom and pops, but convenience for me comes way above supporting them, and shopping local. And usually these are the kind of places that don't take cards.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

Fully agree apart from the last sentence. There's something bizarre about a North London BYOB where half the glasses are for pious Muslims, half for drinkers like me, and we co-exist on good terms. What did my head in was down the street: a shop that sold wet fish and did mobile phone unlocking!
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I meant for retail. According to the UK Payments Council, it's not until 2018 that clearing houses won't accept them.

I guess we still have elderly folk who don't like using phone banking (or internet banking) who need to pay tradesmen. I guess by 2018, most trades will be able to have 3G/LTE C&P readers.

Cheques are not being phased out in 2018 anymore.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of people won't know how to drive stick shift....and it's the other side of the road. I can do it when visiting but a lot can't.
    That's a point i'd forgotten about. Obviously we do have automatic cars you can rent and buy here though the majority are manual (stick shift as you call it). Larger cars such as Mercedes tend to be more automatic with less manual.

Not sure how the US Driving Licence works but here in the UK if you pass your Driving Test in an automatic then you are only qualified to drive 'auto'....not manual. If you take your test in a manual transmission car you are allowed to drive either.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    That's a point i'd forgotten about. Obviously we do have automatic cars you can rent and buy here though the majority are manual (stick shift as you call it). Larger cars such as Mercedes tend to be more automatic with less manual.

Not sure how the US Driving Licence works but here in the UK if you pass your Driving Test in an automatic then you are only qualified to drive 'auto'....not manual. If you take your test in a manual transmission car you are allowed to drive either.

They're state licenses not US licenses.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I resisted the temptation to :p:p though!

Thought some of them hilarious......."LITERALLY NO IDEA SORRY" for virtually all of Europe! :o

Interesting that most at least managed to locate Russia.

Hhmm.....i wonder why? ;-)