Options

Robert Downey Jr walks out of C4 interview

Comments

• Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Because they can't use their private life when it suits and then complain when it is used by the press.. everyone knows that.

I mean would it have killed RDJ to just answer the question? I mean what is the worst that could come from it? all the interviewer wanted was for him to clarify comments he made.. which he was happy to do at that time. I don't think it was unreasonable. Couldn't he have just said "i don't want to talk about that, let's move on" until the time was up? they had 3 minutes left (the PR girl said) so it wouldn't of killed him.. getting up and walking out like a petulant school kid made RDJ look bad - and the interviewer got a reaction and world headlines because of it so RDJ lost..

Just think these celebrities need a reality check and there lives are not hard, they can be a bit more controlled.

It was the film rep that ended the interview not RDJ.
    At the end of the day he's under contract by the film company to promote the movie which is why he kept looking over at her (the film rep) as she would of be saying whether or not it's ok to answer certain questions or not.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Murthy was almost bearable on Newsround.
  • Options
    AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Robert Downey Jr didn't come across badly at all. Why should he have to answer personal questions that have nothing to do with the film at all? Channel 4 will get themselves a bad reputation for interviewing film stars if they're not careful. They've most likely lost the chance to interview Robert Downey Jr ever again.

BIB No great loss to C4 there then! And KGM says he did agree the questions (explicitly) with Downey's PR, so if that's true then if anyone other then RDJ is to blame it's her.

Now I don't normally agree with Piers Morgan but think he's on the money here. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3052201/PIERS-MORGAN-Ironman-wouldn-t-run-away-interview-Mr-Downey-Jr-Man-stop-pampered-overly-sensitive-prima-donna.html Either play the game, or don't bother giving interviews at all.
  • Options
    Nick_DKNick_DK Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who is in recovery from an addiction and I can tell you it's a daily challenge to not go back. Having spent a few years of being free I can tell you it's not fun talking about it especially years of fighting it and not giving in. Let say tomorrow when I go to work, my colleagues start talking about football and randomly out of the blue 1 of them just turns to me and starts talking "so your addiction years ago". I'd walk.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Robert Downey Jr didn't come across badly at all. Why should he have to answer personal questions that have nothing to do with the film at all? Channel 4 will get themselves a bad reputation for interviewing film stars if they're not careful. They've most likely lost the chance to interview Robert Downey Jr ever again.

No, I meant the reliance on his PA and such. He just kind of tailed off and seemed to be looking to 'his people' for guidance. He seemed uncertain. He could have made more of the moment and taken control by putting KGM in his place. For example, saying something like, "My personal life is already in the public domain. You are here to interview me about my film. Anything else is irrelevant and will not be discussed." In my opinion, he came across quite badly- just not quite as badly as his smug interviewer.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't blame him for walking out. He was there to talk about the film.

And what was Krishnan Guru-Murthy doing there? He's no film critic!
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    One look at his eyes should have told the interviewer how upset he was. Perhaps the goal is to get interviews terminated and get some extra press?
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    Oh dear. Someone doesn't gush over the new film and massage the Downey ego so he throws his toys out the pram and stomps off.

I don't blame him,the guy doesn't have to talk about his past or his personal life when he's there to talk about his work,if you watch the video he didn't stomp off either he just stopped the interview -good for him IMO
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_DK wrote: »
    As someone who is in recovery from an addiction and I can tell you it's a daily challenge to not go back. Having spent a few years of being free I can tell you it's not fun talking about it especially years of fighting it and not giving in. Let say tomorrow when I go to work, my colleagues start talking about football and randomly out of the blue 1 of them just turns to me and starts talking "so your addiction years ago". I'd walk.

Me being in the same place personally as you I also would walk too,
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    One look at his eyes should have told the interviewer how upset he was. Perhaps the goal is to get interviews terminated and get some extra press?

Absolutely! They were blazing! He was breathing really hard too.
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Good for RDJ to stop the interview, he is there for the film promo interview as not with single reporter Krishnan Guru-Murthy but with other reporters, as great example on the film promo scene in Notting Hill film. RDJ is one of actors who kept his personal life private, well his latest life, you don't see photos of him with his wife and children?

AND Krishnan Guru-Murthy is not film reporter?!?
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,496
    Forum Member
    KGM has always been an unlikeable little shite. I remember the BBC programme 'Open To Question', where an audience of teenagers asked questions of invited guests. It was usually interesting and often quite perceptive until I noticed this same face stating to ask these more 'difficult' questions, seemingly intended to be controversial and edgy. Guess who it was...
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a complete idiotic dick he is.
    .....I am talking about Murthy. ;-)
    He should have picked up on the hint 2 minutes earlier.
    "ARE WE HERE TO TALK ABOUT THE MOVIE?"
    This guy has a very short future in media, (If channel 4 has any sense)
    Finding parallels between Iron Man's life and RDJ's life. Clever....:confused:
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't blame him for walking out. He was there to talk about the film.

And what was Krishnan Guru-Murthy doing there? He's no film critic!
    To be honest though, and this ain't a slight on Krishnan

film critic =/= TV host

Are they normally one and the same?
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    No, I meant the reliance on his PA and such. He just kind of tailed off and seemed to be looking to 'his people' for guidance. He seemed uncertain. He could have made more of the moment and taken control by putting KGM in his place. For example, saying something like, "My personal life is already in the public domain. You are here to interview me about my film. Anything else is irrelevant and will not be discussed." In my opinion, he came across quite badly- just not quite as badly as his smug interviewer.

So what, he came off badly for showing himself as human rather than reliably having a stock PR-friendly soundbite ready at all times?:confused:

I was all set to be slagging off RDJ when I started watching the vid, but I've gotta say I'm totally with him here, Krishnan comes across quite slimy and desperate.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    I don't blame him,the guy doesn't have to talk about his past or his personal life when he's there to talk about his work,if you watch the video he didn't stomp off either he just stopped the interview -good for him IMO

Actually I would have had more respect for him if he had just walked out, instead of pausing and looking at his manager first, and waiting for them to give him the "okay" which he clearly did. The fact he had to stop and look for permission makes him look a bit of a wally.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Because they can't use their private life when it suits and then complain when it is used by the press.. everyone knows that.

I mean would it have killed RDJ to just answer the question? I mean what is the worst that could come from it? all the interviewer wanted was for him to clarify comments he made.. which he was happy to do at that time. I don't think it was unreasonable. Couldn't he have just said "i don't want to talk about that, let's move on" until the time was up? they had 3 minutes left (the PR girl said) so it wouldn't of killed him.. getting up and walking out like a petulant school kid made RDJ look bad - and the interviewer got a reaction and world headlines because of it so RDJ lost..

Just think these celebrities need a reality check and there lives are not hard, they can be a bit more controlled.

I don't think that walking away from someone who is potentially goading you with questions you don't want to answer is childish at all. If he had sat there for 3 minutes straight saying "I don't want to talk about it, I don't want to talk about it, I don't want to talk about it", he would still have been criticised and called childish. Some celebs can't win.

Celebs can talk about their private lives whenever they want. He's talked about his troubled past before and he talked about his son when he was having issues. That does not mean he has to talk about his private life during an interview about a new film if he doesn't want to. He doesn't owe that to anyone.

I think some people here need reality checks. Having fame and money does not automatically make life easy. RDJ has clearly not had a smooth life, but he doesn't need a reality check because he doesn't always fancy talking about it. The fact that some people feel entitled to his private life at all times shows that being famous is not as easy as they think.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Jr. wasn't drug-addled maybe he could have philosophically pondered on whether C4 was hijacking his film spot to talk about the life of a celebrity drug addict, or whether someone who was mainly interesting re drugs and stuff was hijacking a film talk slot.
    I don't even know the answer
    :kitty:
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought RDJ handled it very well.
    those interviews are clearly just to plug the film they see 40+ reporters per session with strict time limits. The Questions being asked take months of agreement and normally set piece interviews.

Krishnan's entire response was just bizarre he embarrassed himself, Acting like some big drama had taken place. RDJ saw a journalist acting really stupid and took himself out of the situation
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,107
    Forum Member
    If this was an interview for Channel 4 News, then they won't see it as just a free plug for a movie. Why should a mere movie star have more control over the media than a politician or member of the public?

Many of these interviews are reporters fawning at the feet of a film star rather than an honest interview. If a reporter can put to Prime Minister their policies make no sense why can't a reporter put to an actor they found a movie rubbish?

Why the need to cosset such extremely highly paid celebs?

Didn't Downey's father give him Marijuana when he was six, his son was 20 when arrested last year for having cocaine. Didn't Downey decline with the use of drugs from the 1990's through to the noughties? Downey said at the time of his son's arrest, "unfortunately, there's a genetic component to addiction and Indio has likely inherited it"

In the interview Downey was in affect being asked if the bad period was behind him and seemed to get nervous about that question. Why not just smile and say that's in the past and move on rather than storm out.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    If this was an interview for Channel 4 News, then they won't see it as just a free plug for a movie. Why should a mere movie star have more control over the media than a politician or member of the public?

Many of these interviews are reporters fawning at the feet of a film star rather than an honest interview. If a reporter can put to Prime Minister their policies make no sense why can't a reporter put to an actor they found a movie rubbish?

Why the need to cosset such extremely highly paid celebs?

Didn't Downey's father give him Marijuana when he was six, his son was 20 when arrested last year for having cocaine. Didn't Downey decline with the use of drugs from the 1990's through to the noughties? Downey said at the time of his son's arrest, "unfortunately, there's a genetic component to addiction and Indio has likely inherited it"

In the interview Downey was in affect being asked if the bad period was behind him and seemed to get nervous about that question. Why not just smile and say that's in the past and move on rather than storm out.

Maybe because it's still extremely raw and difficult for him? Just because he's now clean, doesn't mean he doesn't have a lot of pent up issues and pain about the whole thing. He's human, just like the rest of us.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Actually I would have had more respect for him if he had just walked out, instead of pausing and looking at his manager first, and waiting for them to give him the "okay" which he clearly did. The fact he had to stop and look for permission makes him look a bit of a wally.

He might have broke his contract with the film studio if the person to Downey's left hadn't have gave him the okay to stop the interview. I think the person to Downey's left was a woman. If someone's at work, they can't just do what they want, when they want.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People don't half have some issues when it comes to celebrities. If you are famous you should apparently never get upset, never change your mind about anything, never be able to speak about what you want on your own terms and never remove yourself from a distressing situation.

The comparison to politicians is pointless too.

I think some of you people have a real problem with anyone but yourselves controlling a situation. Some of the contempt for celebrities in this thread is just sad as the critics seem to not care too much that at the end of the day they are people just like you and me with feelings that can't always be neatly managed. Lastly, I think you are muddying the waters and lumping in someone who has an actual career (in this case acting) with those z-listers who DO make a living selling the stories of their every fart. The two types of celeb are not in fact one and the same.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RDj is not a politician with power over peoples lives, that would be the only moral justification for that type of ambush.

Just possibly a case to do that with a film director, as long as it's a film director with a lot of power over the films they are involved with. But some rich actor? No.

There is no public interest in what Krishnan did, he was behaving like some kind of nasty tabloid hack out to get a juicy story.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »
    People don't half have some issues when it comes to celebrities. If you are famous you should apparently never get upset, never change your mind about anything, never be able to speak about what you want on your own terms and never remove yourself from a distressing situation.

The comparison to politicians is pointless too.

I think some of you people have a real problem with anyone but yourselves controlling a situation. Some of the contempt for celebrities in this thread is just sad as the critics seem to not care too much that at the end of the day they are people just like you and me with feelings that can't always be neatly managed. Lastly, I think you are muddying the waters and lumping in someone who has an actual career (in this case acting) with those z-listers who DO make a living selling the stories of their every fart. The two types of celeb are not in fact one and the same.

There are far more 'issues' on display from regular posters on the celebrity threads than from the celebrities themselves. This thread is very far from being the worst.