Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 19)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,990
Administrator
Heck, don't say that! :eek:

Sounds logical. I shall give them until the morning to update their EPG, otherwise I'll manually record the whole day on Sky Sports 1.:) Thanks. :)
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1695356

Comments

• Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      New Thread :)

Serena-Vika tomorrow and I have Monday off work :D
    • Options
      alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      This has been a great US open for the british, Murray is in the final as is Liam broady in teh boys singles, Kyle edmunds won the boys doubles title with his portguese partner(well done to him as well) and Laura Robson did surprisingly well in the women's draw, being the first british woman to get to the fourth round in a grand slam since 1998. (and since 1991 in the US open).
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I really hope Ferrer can win tomorrow and pull off an 'upset'!
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      abby103 wrote: »
      I really hope Ferrer can win tomorrow and pull off an 'upset'!

I don't , i'd prefer I final where murray is expected to lose, becuase if he was expected to win I don't think I could handle the stress, if Murray were to lose to Djokovic in the final he wouldn't be as bothered because Djokovic would be the favourite. However if he were to lose to Ferrer I think Murray would be devasatated becuase that would have been his big chance to win a slam.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I don't , i'd prefer I final where murray is expected to lose, becuase if he was expected to win I don't think I could handle the stress, if Murray were to lose to Djokovic in the final he wouldn't be as bothered because Djokovic would be the favourite. However if he were to lose to Ferrer I think Murray would be devasatated becuase that would have been his big chance to win a slam.

This.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Not very often, but sometimes, I love The Guardian. Thought I'd jump in and change the subject from the semis and the awful weather by quoting bits of this article. Especially at the beginning of a new part. :) It sums up 'zactly why I adored Fed's tennis but cant stand the man himself.
      Nothing divides opinion in tennis like a debate about Federer, both his future as a player and the way he either delights or incites the fans and the media. Often, Federer press conferences sound like prayer meetings as fans with laptops, but little objectivity, queue up to pay homage. However, when he states, redundantly, that he has done great things, he feeds the view that he is either insecure (as many champions are) or so lacks self-awareness that he can't hear the sniggering in the background.

There is a tweeter called @PseudoFed who preys on his serial self-glorification mercilessly. Federer knows about it, and he is not amused. You would not blame him. Yet he continues to provide his tormentor with ammunition. A classic example was his response to losing to Tomas Berdych in the quarter-finals here. "I really expected myself to play better tonight," Federer said. "Especially at night, I have had such a great record. I don't know. I felt good, you know. Such an amazing summer I had. I really thought I was going to come out and play a solid match. I didn't do that tonight. Obviously there is a bit of a letdown now."

The letdown ought to be that Federer struggles to do humble. Where was the respect for Berdych? Where was the acknowledgment that the player on the other side of the net had the right — and the ability — to beat him in an important match? His praise for the winner was almost an afterthought.

He did the same when Berdych put him out of Wimbledon two years ago, claiming a thigh injury he had picked up in Halle (where Lleyton Hewitt beat him on grass for the first time in 13 attempts) hampered his game. That is a serious breach of player protocol. When told of Federer's excuse, Berdych was livid. They have hardly spoken since.

Substitute Berdych for ANYONE who beats him, then people aren't crazy to call him an arrogant prat. Can you imagine Rafa or Andy coming out with such self-praise?

Now the very real danger od Tomas is out the way I'm going to be his biggest supporter whenever he plays the mighty one again. :p

Full article HERE

I agree with every word. Oh, and if you're on Twitter, follow PseudoFed. He's a complete hoot and has me howling with laughter. Get a sense of humour Rog, it's very witty and very well done.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

I agree with what you're saying... I was just thinking of it from a purely impartial view out of Djokovic and Ferrer... but I definatly think Murray would feel more comfortable playing Djokovic, as he always seems to try slightly hader against the biggies... I fear Ferrer would be too unpredictable!
    • Options
      kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

I agree.

Not to mention it would ease my superstitions :o
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      PseudoFed was on fire tonight - Tornado Roger
    • Options
      SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
      Forum Member
      tally wrote: »
      Not very often, but sometimes, I love The Guardian. Thought I'd jump in and change the subject from the semis and the awful weather by quoting bits of this article. Especially at the beginning of a new part. :) It sums up 'zactly why I adored Fed's tennis but cant stand the man himself.

Substitute Berdych for ANYONE who beats him, then people aren't crazy to call him an arrogant prat. Can you imagine Rafa or Andy coming out with such self-praise?

Now the very real danger od Tomas is out the way I'm going to be his biggest supporter whenever he plays the mighty one again. :p

Full article HERE

I agree with every word. Oh, and if you're on Twitter, follow PseudoFed. He's a complete hoot and has me howling with laughter. Get a sense of humour Rog, it's very witty and very well done.

:mad: :rolleyes:

Do we really expect anything different from that AS?
    • Options
      Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      tally wrote: »

Full article HERE

Interesting article but not sure I agree that Federer is finished. I don't think Roger is mean spirited at all, but there is a definite air of arrogance that I think comes from his winning mentality. Having won the amount of titles he has it would be hard not to feel some sort of superiority.

I just don't think he gets how other players feel, for example after beating a crying Roddick in the Wimbledon final of 2009 he said to him something along the lines of 'don't worry I felt exactly the same last year'. Roddick replied 'Well it's a bit different when you've won the thing 5 times already'.

His breakdown in Australia in 2009 showed how much this sport means to him and I think he thought that signalled the 'twilight' of his career. I think he has done brilliantly since the emergence of Nadal and Djokovic and would say his comments shouldn't be criticised so much considering his brilliance.
    • Options
      VolVol Posts: 2,393
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I agree with everyone who says that Ferrer making the final and beating Murray would be an absolute disaster. Not that I have anything against Ferrer, on the contrary I would be more than happy to see him win a slam - just not before Murray does.

Could you imagine how crushing it would be for Murray to lose his 5th GS final to an opponent in their first? I actually don't think a loss to Djokovic would affect Murray that much, he certainly wouldn't be as upset as he was to lose the Wimbledon final.
    • Options
      KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I really hope Ferrer can beat Djokovic. He is such a hard worker as well as being such a great player. Such a shame he couldn't have captured the first set and maybe a break in the second today before delay.
    • Options
      lalalala Posts: 21,175
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Is there any highlight of the US Open on FTA tv? :( I don't fancy subscribing to Sky Sports
    • Options
      Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,075
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      lala wrote: »
      Is there any highlight of the US Open on FTA tv? :( I don't fancy subscribing to Sky Sports

Nope,

You can watch the matches via on line streams.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I think he'd be gutted to lose to Nole just as much as Ferrer, who I have a real soft spot for.

At this level it's all about getting the W, regardless of your opponent. It would round of a wonderful summer of sport for GB. :p But I never do predictions! The last one I made re Andy was in 2006 when I said he'd win the US in 2008! :D Sort of have to do a :rolleyes: @ myself after that one.

:) All I do is shriek at the telly and get stressed!
    • Options
      CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
      Forum Member

I think Murray would win either way but Ferrer would be lovely. Andy is insanely consistent against lower ranked players in slams (lost to one since this time 2 years ago). Ferrer please
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      CGG_12 wrote: »
      I think Murray would win either way but Ferrer would be lovely. Andy is insanely consistent against lower ranked players in slams (lost to one since this time 2 years ago). Ferrer please

but the one time he DID lose to a lower ranked player? guess who it was? David Ferrer (in the french open this year) so forgive me if i'm not as confident as you.
    • Options
      CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
      Forum Member
      but the one time he DID lose to a lower ranked player? guess who it was? David Ferrer (in the french open this year) so forgive me if i'm not as confident as you.

Ferrer LOVES the clay. Andy hates it! ferrer wouldn't be easy but Andy is a better player and would certainly beat him imo. Novak way tougher but still very winnable
    • Options
      TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      CGG_12 wrote: »

Agree , Ferrer everyday , Murray would win the match 8/9 times out of 10.
    • Options
      TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Mr Jazzman wrote: »
      Interesting article but not sure I agree that Federer is finished. I don't think Roger is mean spirited at all, but there is a definite air of arrogance that I think comes from his winning mentality. Having won the amount of titles he has it would be hard not to feel some sort of superiority.

I just don't think he gets how other players feel, for example after beating a crying Roddick in the Wimbledon final of 2009 he said to him something along the lines of 'don't worry I felt exactly the same last year'. Roddick replied 'Well it's a bit different when you've won the thing 5 times already'.

His breakdown in Australia in 2009 showed how much this sport means to him and I think he thought that signalled the 'twilight' of his career. I think he has done brilliantly since the emergence of Nadal and Djokovic and would say his comments shouldn't be criticised so much considering his brilliance.

I read that as sort of a spoilt kid who's been told 'no more'.

Rafa was on fire at that point and Fed had no answers , think it dawned on Fed that he was going to be a struggle to win many more slams or at least as many as he would of liked so he blubbed like a spoilt brat does when he gets told no.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
      Forum Member
      Somebody asked about this tweet from a player yesterday. I was going to quote but it seems you can't do that with a new thread...

Vania King ‏@queen_v21
      I wonder if tennis could strip players of titles, not just money, like in cycling if caught doping--how much less doping there would be.

I think she is talking about this, the cycling link is there, it's a recent story and both Errani and Ferrer have/had SF's the last few days? and against opponents highly rumoured by some to be helped via the process of doping? Seems odd. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/tennis/sara-errani-defends-herself-consulting-banned-doctor/story-fnbe6xeb-1226466829023
    • Options
      Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Responding to Sparkle's post from the old topic.
      It's awful, isn't it?

I sometimes go on there to get a feel for the views of tennis fans who watch a lot more than me, but I normally give up after a few minutes, because it's such hard work trying to find the sensible posters amongst the bitter ones who think it's hilarious to give the players insulting nick-names, except for the one or two they somehow like amidst all of that hatred.

It's not just that I don't trust the opinions of people that carry so much hate and an utterly misplaced sense of competition, and plainly no idea of what it actually takes to achieve anything for themselves in life. All of those nick names leave me more than confused. The only way to make sense of them is to imagine things from the point of view of someone with an ugly personality, and I'd rather not.

*polishes halo*
      The Murray hatred is excessive, mostly from bogans and Eastern Europeans. Such a negative mindset.

It is possible to support players without castigating their rivals (hint hint, crazed Serena fan from the last topic who laid into Henin on the basis of one alleged incident whilst turning a blind eye to Serena's numerous incidents...). Acknowledging your fave has faults is progress. I'm a Murray fan but I don't necessarily like his habit of feigning injury after losing points. Fed comes across as somewhat arrogant but he's earned the right to be.
    • Options
      jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,090
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Im guessing the Semi Final between Djorkovic and Ferrer will be on Sky Sports 4, as the other channels all have Live sport on at that time
    • Options
      LushnessLushness Posts: 38,173
      Forum Member
      I don't see what the deal is if if Fed is arrogant, it's not like he is unpleasant and he has more than backed it up. It's a lot worse to be arrogant and you haven't done anything of note.
    This discussion has been closed.