Options

2014/15 Premier League TV Fixtures Thread

Comments

• Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ryan_Kerr1 wrote: »
    They rang me back to now say there has been a delay and that they will be out on Monday or the latest Tuesday

So you're telling me that the Premier League have nothing better to do than ring you to give you regular updates on when the fixtures will be released. Why on earth would they ring you back?
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    So you're telling me that the Premier League have nothing better to do than ring you to give you regular updates on when the fixtures will be released. Why on earth would they ring you back?

im not going to say what i really think..
  • Options
    Ryan_Kerr1Ryan_Kerr1 Posts: 154
    Forum Member

Don't know why they did but they've done the same with a few other people that I follow on twitter. At least they have given us a bit of information unlike Sky or BT or people who's mates mum sister who works in the Man City box office
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know why they did but they've done the same with a few other people that I follow on twitter. At least they have given us a bit of information unlike Sky or BT or people who's mates mum sister who works in the Man City box office

Thanks for letting us know.
  • Options
    Ryan_Kerr1Ryan_Kerr1 Posts: 154
    Forum Member

That's good because no one has asked what you really think
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What do you really think? :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's good because no one has asked what you really think
    What do you really think? :D.

oo look someone has, but dont worry, im not going to say...
  • Options
    TangoTango Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know off topic

Suarez Deal Agreed for sale to Barcelona

>:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tango wrote: »
    I know off topic

Suarez Deal Agreed

>:(>:(>:(

about time too, all that liverpool did for him, then he did it again...
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're right, it is off topic.
  • Options
    TangoTango Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    You're right, it is off topic.

Well I thought I post as most of us are probably football fans., also it probs means the fixtures wont be released today. :cry:
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,408
    Forum Member

Another win for Sky, they will get his league games and champions league, BT Sport don't get to show him next season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I thought I post as most of us are probably football fans., also it probs means the fixtures wont be released today. :cry:

No, it has no relevance whatsoever to the PL TV fixtures announcement. Why do people keep saying things like this? Even if it did, surely it means that they would be more likely to be released today, as more people would be watching SSN to see the announcement.
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chelsea have just announced this
    (as they were expecting to be able to sell on Monday !!)

Chelsea FC @chelseafc
    Tickets for our first @premierleague home game against Leicester will not go on sale until TV dates are confirmed.
  • Options
    RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taking this purely on face value as it is from a post by someone who says they are a Man City fan on the Sky help forum saying they know someone on the inside so obviously by no means official! :)
    Newcastle v Man City Sunday 17 Aug 4pm (Sky Sports)

Man City v Liverpool Monday 25 Aug 8pm (Sky Sports)

Arsenal v Man City Sat 13 Sep 12:45pm (BT Sport)

All seems plausible enough. Just speculatively that could be all correct. While everybody waits on the announcement might be that a little piece of the puzzle has been glimpsed. Obviously it is just as possible it is entirely fabricated but at least it looks like it could fit. It's just from some comments on the Sky forum here:
    http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Programming-Channels/When-do-Sky-announce-their-Premier-League-Live-games-for-2014-15/td-p/2026046/page/3
  • Options
    Spiros_RedSpiros_Red Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Disagree, if it's next week it can be a big football story for Sky and BT to push and gives something for viewers to be excited about post the world cup. Good selling point for them too as during the world cup football coverage is dominated by non pay channels so once over Sky and BT can go on the big sell as they will then be the main football channels again and can use their TV fixtures as a big selling point.

Expect Sky and BT marketing to ramp up next week once the World Cup is over.

Can't think of any other reason for the delay as assume all the picks are sorted and agreements will police will have been reached by now. The delay is purely for BT and Sky to get the most attention for the rights they have paid considerably for.

Believe it or not BIB is not actually correct & is the very reason why there's been no announcements as yet. From what i understand Sky & BT cannot agree on a number of picks & until there's a compromise/agreement we won't hear anything.

Like a number of people on here, what games are picked doesn't impact if i watch on Sky or BT it impacts me in a way that i can't sort out travel etc as i go to every game home & away.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    I'll be a little disappointed if Sky use a first pick on Gameweek 1. It's all much of a muchness and, in my view, the first pick could be used more productively elsewhere. For instance, Gameweek 3 for the Liverpool game or the first Arsenal/Man City game.

I appreciate that Sky will want all the 'stories' on the opening weekend - LVG's first game, Man City's first game as champions of last season - but with all the 'Big 5' having games of similar quality, I don't think they'd lose out if they passed.

I suspect that they will indeed use a first pick, but I just think it could be used better elsewhere.

What date were the games announced in 2010? Was it during the World Cup?
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really give a sh*t who's using a first pick on which weeks, I just want to know which games are on tv and when so I can start making plans for those I'm able to attend. But as per usual the match-going supporter is the last to be considered.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It doesn't seem that implausible to me. It's not as if it will be Richard Scudamore sat in his office ringing people back. I worked in admin once for a few months and it's pretty common practice if you get an enquiry to give what information you can, take a contact number and get back to them if you are updated on any new information.

I also don't see any problem with ringing the Premier League/Sky directly if someone is interested in the information (as it seems many people are.) A 2 minute phonecall seems far more efficient and worthwhile than speculation on here on a daily basis as to whether it will be today, tomorrow or the week after.

I don't quite see how there could be any dispute between Sky and BT over picks though. It's surely quite clear, just as it was last year. Sky have 20 first picks to use on 20 weekends of their choice. BT get first pick for all the rest. I don't see how there can be any ambiguity or genuine conflict about that process.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gray77 wrote: »
    I tend to agree with this. Just announce the fixtures complete with the TV dates (up to Dec or the New Year) at the same time. Then everyone knows where they stand from the start.

You do know this would pretty much kill of this thread! :p

I don't see too much wrong with the current process to be honest. I'd rather have the fixtures as soon as possible - at least that way you can do some planning for events if you know the weekends when the home fixtures will be for instance.

And presumably that process wouldn't get the information out any quicker? Part 2 would still come out at roughly the same time, it would just be that part 1 would be delayed for a month or so which I can't really see benefits anybody
  • Options
    TLG86TLG86 Posts: 11,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spiros_Red wrote: »
    From what i understand Sky & BT cannot agree on a number of picks & until there's a compromise/agreement we won't hear anything.

If true that would imply that our assumptions about how control of the picks works are incorrect. The main assumption is that the pack with the most of a certain type of pick has control.

Last season's picks by Sky would suggest that they had complete control. We've discussed why Sky might have used a first pick in week 7, but another that looked odd was week 21 when they took:

Man Utd v Swansea - Saturday 17:30
    Newcastle v Man City - Sunday 14:05
    Stoke City v Liverpool - Sunday 16:10
    Aston Villa v Arsenal - Monday 20:00

This left BT to take Hull v Chelsea as a fifth pick in package G. Sky may have decided to take first pick to ensure they got Stoke v Liverpool which enabled them to fill Stoke's minimum quota in package D.

Sky also took first pick in week 29 to ensure they got Chelsea v Spurs. This also appeared odd when they could have taken Chelsea v Arsenal in week 31. But when the picks for week 29 were made it was possible that Chelsea v Spurs would move to much later in the season were Chelsea to still be in the FA Cup.

Also, I think Sky took the view that the priority was to ensure they had complete control of the run in. We can't know for sure, but I haven't seen any evidence that Sky don't control the picks.

My guess the TV companies just want to wait until the World Cup is over before announcing
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One point to note is that Scudamore is apparently off work at the moment.

I don't really think it's a question of any conflict - I guess it's more a matter of "conditional swaps" - ie quite how much the PL will allow in terms of conditionality dependent upon the CL draw.

I have no idea re the inner workings of the PL but I guess it's possible that Scudamore himself has previously been involved in either any negotiations or giving the final all clear.

If he is now off work it might make things a bit more difficult in terms of a deputy less familiar with the process taking any final decision or maybe stuff is being referred to Scudamore at home.
  • Options
    TLG86TLG86 Posts: 11,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    I don't really think it's a question of any conflict - I guess it's more a matter of "conditional swaps" - ie quite how much the PL will allow in terms of conditionality dependent upon the CL draw.

I'd have thought the detail of the contracts would address this issue. For instance, Package D has the right to take Saturday 12:45 and some compensation is paid to the holder of Package A.

If it isn't addressed in such a way then I suggest the PL sort it out for next time! Looking at the fixtures I'd say this is most likely to be a problem in weeks 10 and 12.

In week 10 I'm sure Sky would want to show both Man City v Man Utd and Newcastle v Liverpool. I know you've suggested that it would be sensible for UEFA to keep City and Liverpool on separate nights given their seeding, but I don't think we know what's happening with that yet.

In week 12 I think Sky will take Arsenal v Man Utd and possibly Crystal Palace v Liverpool. Again Arsenal and Liverpool may be on different nights, but we'll have to see.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it be a good idea to only announce the TV games up until the end of September, then wait until the draw for the CL group stage is done before announcing the dates for any more TV games?

That would still allow fans a month to make their travel arrangements.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »

For the record, this delay affects all matchgoing supporters, even local ones who might be shiftworkers who could need to arrange time off.

Or those who work Saturdays, Sundays or evenings as part of their working week and might need to organise or put in for annual leave.

For the record, everyone KNOWS this.

You can make arrangements based on cost of transport, and your annual leave once you know the dates and times of the matches.

If people REALLY want to go to the matches they will go.