Options

Soap Actors Who Smoke But Their Characters Don't?

Comments

• Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    GH Online wrote: »
    The older actors are adults. The child actors are exactly that and it's up the the soap bosses to help them make the right lifestyle choices.

It might be seen as undermining efforts to cut youth smoking if known teenage smokers are seemingly rewarded with parts in EastEnders (Melissa Suffield) or chart success (Billie Piper).

At the end of the day, they are not restricted to smoke or not smoke, as long as it doesn't harm the soap, what's the problem?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re-read my posts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maggie Jones AKA Blanche Hunt in Corrie smokes in real life, but to my knowledge, Blanche has not smoked in the past few years I've been watching. Everyone seemed to smoke at one point in the 1950s-1970s so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the older Corrie regulars lit up onscreen or offscreen at some point.
  • Options
    2MILLWALL2MILLWALL Posts: 2,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alison King= Carla Connor does!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Re-read my posts.

There's no need...the media isn't the main reason a young person would start smoking - what about peer pressure?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's certainly an age-old problem - if only we could encourage young people to think for themselves and be their own people rather than be sheep and copy their friends just to "fit in".

It would be wrong of me to say all young people would take up smoking just because a soap actor/actress the same age as them does but some would, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's certainly an age-old problem - if only we could encourage young people to think for themselves and be their own people rather than be sheep and copy their friends just to "fit in".

It would be wrong of me to say all young people would take up smoking just because a soap actor/actress the same age as them does but some would, unfortunately.

Very few, if that I think
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gemma bissix does, and zoe lister ( zoe carpenter from hollyoaks), and im sure a saw a picture of andrew moss and darren jeffries smoking 2 ( reece and ob!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suddenly those two are that much less fanciable... :cry:
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malcolm Hebden - Norris Cole - is quite a heavy smoker in real life.

Jenny Platt also smokes (though I think she said she was trying to give up)

And the actors who play the Morton twins smoke, but that's probably a topic best avoided....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally the younger cast in Ender, Hollyoaks and Emmerdale don't smoke though a number are rumoured to off screen. On screen Leanne Battersby, Jamie Baldwin and Little Den are the only young smokers I can remember seeing in recent years and all seemed to quit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laurat wrote: »
    Generally the younger cast in Ender, Hollyoaks and Emmerdale don't smoke though a number are rumoured to off screen. On screen Leanne Battersby, Jamie Baldwin and Little Den are the only young smokers I can remember seeing in recent years and all seemed to quit.
    Jane Danson once categorically stated she was a non-smoker, despite already having been seen lighting up when she first arrived in Corrie.
  • Options
    Jessica.RabbitJessica.Rabbit Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    I can't believe Melissa Suffield smokes :o

Where did you see/hear this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    2MILLWALL wrote: »
    Alison King= Carla Connor does!!!!

Really??? Smoking is gross!!
  • Options
    trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I think the majority of actors, Tv stars and other celebs smoke - it's probably more difficult to come up with those who don't - some are just better at hiding the habit than others!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that Aaron Sidwell smokes, but his character Steven Beale doesn't. Lacey Turner also smokes, but her character Stacey Slater doesn't.
  • Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the actor who plays David Platt smokes aswell.. Although I might be mistaken
  • Options
    Daniel_HatcherDaniel_Hatcher Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    God, can't believe how many actors/actresses smoke. Such a disgusting habit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Just going bck to the title-and im not having a go or a moan-but it seems to me that it is the wierdest question ive ever seen on here (and thats going up against 'Is Arthur Fowlers Bench Gay?'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rupert Hill who plays Jamie Baldwin in Corrie smokes but i don't know if his character does
  • Options
    judy08judy08 Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Lucy Beale is no role model and only like minded kids would take up smoking just because they see Melissa smoke in real life. I think it is a shame that a young girl her age smokes but it is not an illegal substance yet. I gave up yet again five months ago and am craving one right now so I know how hard it is to kick the habit but don't go around telling people to give up. It's their choice, like it or not
  • Options
    Jessica.RabbitJessica.Rabbit Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    judy08 wrote: »
    Lucy Beale is no role model and only like minded kids would take up smoking just because they see Melissa smoke in real life. I think it is a shame that a young girl her age smokes but it is not an illegal substance yet. I gave up yet again five months ago and am craving one right now so I know how hard it is to kick the habit but don't go around telling people to give up. It's their choice, like it or not

Agree! It is pretty shocking
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the old days characters did smoke quite frequently. I should imagine the reason they don't now is because smoking is banned in most workplaces in real life and they are trying to reflect this in The Bill.

When the smoking ban was first introduced I think the gus were on an undercover op and a guy lit up and someone said "your not allowed to do that in here any more" and it hasn't seemed to be mentioned since.

I think Gina gave up after she had cervical cancer, come to think of that she never goes to any check ups does she?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    crazy-amy wrote: »
    I think Gina gave up after she had cervical cancer, come to think of that she never goes to any check ups does she?

Not that we see anyway
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ThaGazBoi wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the actor who plays David Platt smokes aswell.. Although I might be mistaken

You're not mistaken - he does smoke.

Actress who plays girlfriend Tina exclusively revealed all (and mentioned that Jack P Shepherd smokes :rolleyes: )