Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerrard was outrageous today. Nice he's apologised but unbelievable a player of his stature could do that. We go in 1-0 after United couldnt capitalise by more on their dominance and he does that! Effectively giving us next to no chance.

LVG set United up brilliantly in that 1st half but you sense with eleven we could have beaten them still in the second. No chance after the Gerrard stamp.
  • Options
    South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,381
    Forum Member
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    Stevie, we forgive the slip against Chelsea last May but we cant forgive that.
    I wouldn't be surprised of that was effectively the end of his Pool career.

Speak for yourself please.

His actions today were stupid but that doesn't mean they are unforgiveable.

He has given far more to LFC than he has taken away.

He had an adrenaline fueled red mist and lost it for a few seconds. He isn't the first to do that and he won't be the last.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    It's always the case. Nevermind the run we have been on. It's one defeat in 14 yet some act as if it's a crisis. There are more than enough games left and to give up after losing today is ridiculous.

The reaction to Gerrard is ott as well. Yes he made a mistake, a grave error but the end of his Liverpool career. Please.

United still have to play all of the top 3, so finishing in the top 4 is still possible, it will be hard, but it can be done.
  • Options
    bexmil89bexmil89 Posts: 4,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad people on here are talking sense about Gerrard. Yes he did a very stupid thing and it affected the game but this is stevie Gerrard: Liverpool legend. There has been so many times when he has singlehandedly won games for us and has given just everything for this club
    I for one find it easy to forgive him
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    bexmil89 wrote: »
    I'm so glad people on here are talking sense about Gerrard. Yes he did a very stupid thing and it affected the game but this is stevie Gerrard: Liverpool legend. There has been so many times when he has singlehandedly won games for us and has given just everything for this club
    I for one find it easy to forgive him

damn straight!

any talk of an unforgivable act is just plain madness!!
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how many games Skrtel will miss.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Wonder how many games Skrtel will miss.

3 I would imagine, which would be pretty devastating considering his form has been almost immaculate since November.

He, Sakho and Balotelli are the only players in the side I feel confident will win the majority of their aerial battles. And Balotelli hardly plays as it is.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Skrtel would actually be a bigger miss than Gerrard if he gets a 3-match suspension.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Far too many people quick to jump to the defence of Gerrard on this. Therefore making him bigger than the club. He was completely idiotic. If ANY other player had done that they would be getting absolute stick. Could you imagine if Balotelli or Sterling had done it? It lost us the game and his history is absolutely no excuse!

On to the Sterling thing. It worries me the abuse he's getting off home supporters. He's being asked to play yet another foreign position. Probably because he is capable and not many others are. Similar to what was asked of Henderson. It's completely thankless yet he's getting all sorts of grief. He's 20 years old for God sake. People need to give him a break. Yes he wasn't great yesterday but how many were?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Skrtel would actually be a bigger miss than Gerrard if he gets a 3-match suspension.

Much bigger miss. We wouldn't miss Gerrard if he didn't play another game this season. That's where he is now as sad as it is to say. But I'm not afraid to say it!
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Far too many people quick to jump to the defence of Gerrard on this. Therefore making him bigger than the club. He was completely idiotic. If ANY other player had done that they would be getting absolute stick. Could you imagine if Balotelli or Sterling had done it? It lost us the game and his history is absolutely no excuse!

On to the Sterling thing. It worries me the abuse he's getting off home supporters. He's being asked to play yet another foreign position. Probably because he is capable and not many others are. Similar to what was asked of Henderson. It's completely thankless yet he's getting all sorts of grief. He's 20 years old for God sake. People need to give him a break. Yes he wasn't great yesterday but how many were?

Is anyone defending what Gerrard did?

It's more like defending the players career and how a moment of madness doesn't take precedence over a great career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's more like defending the players career and how a moment of madness doesn't take precedence over a great career.

His career has nothing to do with what he did yesterday. People need to separate the 2. Like I said any other player gets pelters for that. Some people have Gerrard bigger than the football club. Despite saying no one is bigger than the football club. He should be thoroughly ashamed of himself. Sad end to his career here. He will be quite rightly remembered for the good stuff but yesterday he cost us any chance of coming back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not the act, per se.

I blame Rodgers, his non-selection along with Lucas in that starting midfield with Allen and Lallana staring on the bench might just have been the reason Gerrard had to sit there and stew after seeing the side steam-rollered for the first 30 minutes.

He is still the club captain, now he's got to sit out some more games as a result of his own actions. He'll be back to sign off - let's hope the remaining available players leave us in a position for his return to be meaningful. I doubt you will find him wanting in that situation.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually feel sorry for Gerrard two horrible moments towards the end of his career one of them a moment of madness because he was too fired up, anyone who turns on Gerrard because of these should be ashamed.

Gerrard needs to get out and have a good time in the US, I just hope we can grab that last bit of major silverware for him more than anything.

Just to say he deserved to be sent off of course and he likely cost a CL spot, but I'll get over it.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He IS ashamed of himself, he wouldn't have apologised otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to say he deserved to be sent off of course and he likely cost a CL spot, but I'll get over it.

Really. So the 37 other games don't count?
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really. So the 37 other games don't count?

He blew it for us just admit it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He blew it for us just admit it.

No his actions meant winning yesterday was unlikely but to blame him for any potential missing out on the top 4 is absurd. The season is 38 games and if we miss out its because we were not good enough over 38 games.
  • Options
    Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man United were excellent in the first half and deserved their win based on that half as with Gerrard getting send off as soon as he came on the pitch, we never know how the 2nd half would have panned out 11v11. Herrera, Mata and Fellaini were brilliant for them whereas our midfield was nowhere to be seen.

Coutinho was the only player who played well for us. As for Sturridge, his lazy performances are hindering our pressing from the front. Against City, we had Sterling up front pressing and we had their defenders under pressure, yesterday when Coutinho and Lallana pressed, there was always an easy pass to a centre back, only for Sturridge to meander across now and then.

Top 4 still isn't over, but we'll have to win all our games now to have a chance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's early days still for Sturridge due to his injury but I can't help thinking with Suarez in the team he had to work that little bit extra to compete with him.

I have to say I am disappointed. United wanted the win more than we did. We bottled it. We let them play their game. Liverpool could have won yesterday with right pressure applied. United compared with past squads are not a good team. They are still a bit shaky at times.

Wrong tactics and attitude lost us the game.
  • Options
    Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squibbles wrote: »
    I know it's early days still for Sturridge due to his injury but I can't help thinking with Suarez in the team he had to work that little bit extra to compete with him.

I have to say I am disappointed. United wanted the win more than we did. We bottled it. We let them play their game. Liverpool could have won yesterday with right pressure applied. United compared with past squads are not a good team. They are still a bit shaky at times.

Exactly, whenever we went to press high up the pitch, the one player that didn't seem to give it his all was Sturridge, that allowed them to play their game.

We need a quality striker and centre mid for next season. The rest of the squad seems fine.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He IS ashamed of himself, he wouldn't have apologised otherwise.

Where is his apology to Herrera for stamping on him? I have yet to see any apology to him on a personal level.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squibbles wrote: »

I wonder if you have a dilemma on your hands, as it seems that your best period was when Sturridge was out injured and Sterling played up front, or in a central area, (rather than out wide), has playing Sturridge hurt you more than anything, as it has meant that Sterling is pushed out wide, where he seems to be less effective for you.

If your manager is brave enough, would he bench Sturridge, if it meant the team would be better?
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    It's not nice losing to Utd at Anfield, it's not nice losing any game but for obvious reasons this particular fixture raises the temperatures etc

But it's not the end of the world

Top 4 is still, imo, well on the cards, Both us and Utd have a few tricky fixtures left, Utd's look more sticky, anything could happen, it's definitely not a given that Utd will finish ahead of us in this top 4 race

If we can keep this 2015 form up grinding out the results then there's still a great chance

Mata's goal though, special piece of entertainment there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Draca_Noir wrote: »
    Man United were excellent in the first half and deserved their win based on that half as with Gerrard getting send off as soon as he came on the pitch, we never know how the 2nd half would have panned out 11v11. Herrera, Mata and Fellaini were brilliant for them whereas our midfield was nowhere to be seen.

Coutinho was the only player who played well for us. As for Sturridge, his lazy performances are hindering our pressing from the front. Against City, we had Sterling up front pressing and we had their defenders under pressure, yesterday when Coutinho and Lallana pressed, there was always an easy pass to a centre back, only for Sturridge to meander across now and then.

Top 4 still isn't over, but we'll have to win all our games now to have a chance.

I don't think the system suits Sturridge. He needs players around him but if we want to play Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho in the same team I think we may need to go back to a diamond formation. However 3 at the back has improved us defensively so its a tough one.
This discussion has been closed.