Options

The Graham Norton Show Series 17 starts Friday 10 April on BBC ONE

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael McIntyre has 1.23M followers on Twitter and his arena tours consistently sell out. His DVDs have frequently broken records for 'Fastest selling comedy DVD'. It's only a minority who don't like him.

So he is about the 1000th most followed person on Twitter, not sure what that proves? Lots of other British 'comedians' with many more followers.

How many DVDs do you need to sell to be 'Fastest selling comedy DVD'? Though can never understand why someone will pay good money to watch a rather poor 'comedian' do an act that they have seen on TV then pay again for a copy on DVD.

He ruined the programme, I normally switch over / off if I see him on a programme but only stayed watching because of Kylie, the programme would have been far better if Norton just had her as the single guest.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    So he is about the 1000th most followed person on Twitter, not sure what that proves? Lots of other British 'comedians' with many more followers.

How many DVDs do you need to sell to be 'Fastest selling comedy DVD'? Though can never understand why someone will pay good money to watch a rather poor 'comedian' do an act that they have seen on TV then pay again for a copy on DVD.

He ruined the programme, I normally switch over / off if I see him on a programme but only stayed watching because of Kylie, the programme would have been far better if Norton just had her as the single guest.

I don't mind MM - often chuckle at him - but on last nights show he was intolerable with his constant ' look at me' interruptions over the other guests. It was very rude mannered. Particularly as Kylie and Penn just sat there and let him have most of the show.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...And still-tubby folk banging on about losing a bit of weight as if they're stick-thin now. Nobody cares Michael..... Not even your wife, as long as the money keeps coming in.

McIntyre is a perpetrator of "observational comedy" otherwise known as "point out the bleedin' obvious in a silly voice and make a tidy living from it". It's no wonder his fellow comics utterly loathe and despise him.
  • Options
    JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night completely cemented my 'going off' of Michael McIntyre, I found him really tiresome, thank god Simon Pegg was there...Kylie was fairly vacuous as usual.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    ...And still-tubby folk banging on about losing a bit of weight as if they're stick-thin now. Nobody cares Michael..... Not even your wife, as long as the money keeps coming in.

McIntyre is a perpetrator of "observational comedy" otherwise known as "point out the bleedin' obvious in a silly voice and make a tidy living from it". It's no wonder his fellow comics utterly loathe and despise him.

They despise him because they're jealous. Simple as that.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ericos wrote: »
    You're very dillusional arent you, you seem to be only one in this thread who is pro the pillock, you his agent or something.
    His own show was s crapped because the majority of people though he was crap

I think the sales of his DVDs and show tickets speak for his popularity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They despise him because they're jealous. Simple as that.

His entire act is "Look at that ordinary, everyday thing I'm highlighting - Isn't that amusing?" Repeat for 90 minutes interspersed with 5 minutes on his wobbly hair.

That's why they hate him because his act is nothing. It's lowest common denominator stuff - Just the communal herd-laughter of recognition at the trite, everyday absurdities of day to day life. There's no intelligence, wit or thought behind it whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    I think the sales of his DVDs and show tickets speak for his popularity

Eastenders is popular. Doesn't mean it's any good and as with McIntyre, more people don't watch than do so to cite "popularity" as an arbiter is to knowingly ignore the vast majority of people who are ambivalent at best.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders is popular. Doesn't mean it's any good and as with McIntyre, more people don't watch than do so to cite "popularity" as an arbiter is to knowingly ignore the vast majority of people who are ambivalent at best.

Name me any show that more people watch than don't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His entire act is "Look at that ordinary, everyday thing I'm highlighting - Isn't that amusing?" Repeat for 90 minutes interspersed with 5 minutes on his wobbly hair.

That's why they hate him because his act is nothing. It's lowest common denominator stuff - Just the communal herd-laughter of recognition at the trite, everyday absurdities of day to day life. There's no intelligence, wit or thought behind it whatsoever.

That's why it's funny, though. Because it's ordinary everyday stuff you don't notice until he points it out and shows up how stupid it is.

The other comedians are just jealous because they'll never had the success he's having and they should be ashamed of their blatantly unfunny bullying of Michael McIntyre.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mcintyre must be popular I guess , but I always find him annoying , and he was a real nuisance last night .

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not the point I'm making.
    That's why it's funny, though. Because it's ordinary everyday stuff you don't notice until he points it out and shows up how stupid it is.

I think "banal" or "trite" are the words you're unknowingly groping for...
    The other comedians are just jealous because they'll never had the success he's having and they should be ashamed of their blatantly unfunny bullying of Michael McIntyre.

They're undoubtedly jealous of his money but I guarantee you not a single one of them envies his "talent" or lack thereof.
  • Options
    rebecca87rebecca87 Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McIntyre reached peak obnoxiousness two minutes in. He seemed to forget it wasn't his own appalling chat show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rebecca87 wrote: »
    McIntyre reached peak obnoxiousness two minutes in. He seemed to forget it wasn't his own appalling chat show.

You mean the 'appalling chat show' that consistently got between one and two million viewers at 10:40pm on a Monday night and which has been recomissioned for a yet-to-be-broadcast series 2?

Yeah, such a 'appalling chat show'...
  • Options
    tellymadmantellymadman Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    You mean the 'appalling chat show' that consistently got between one and two million viewers at 10:40pm on a Monday night and which has been recomissioned for a yet-to-be-broadcast series 2?

Yeah, such a 'appalling chat show'...

The crappy chat show that is not coming back. He has previously confirmed that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The crappy chat show that is not coming back. He has previously confirmed that

Only reports have 'confirmed' it as apparantly the result of his new TV production company behind Sunday Night At The Coliseum'. He hasn't said personally it isn't coming back and when he's under contract for a second series, I don't see how he could back out of it without contractual legal issues.
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if it's true that other comedians 'despise' mcintyre (i'd like to see the evidence, not saying it's not out there, i'm too lazy to look ;)) maybe it's for similar reasons to jack vettriano apparently being despised by the art world. vettriano is an artist of pieces that some say are dumbed down, painting by numbers and not a true representation of what a 'real' artist would paint. however he is hugely popular and his paintings sell for large sums.

maybe, if it's true that mcintyre is despised by his peers, it's for similar reasons i.e. he does a relatively low level type of observational comedy with funny walks and funny faces thrown in however, like vettriano, he's hugely popular and sells vast numbers of tickets for his arena tours.

so, both are doing something 'right' whether or not you personally like them or their product. i do as it goes ... and don't care what anyone else thinks :)
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,971
    Forum Member
    You don't have to dislike MM as a comedian (I quite like him) to criticise his appearance last night. The problem is, I feel, that whilst others such as singers and actors are only expected to talk about things we might be interested in, comedians just bring their act with them. The best comedians will talk seriously about their careers.
  • Options
    rebecca87rebecca87 Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have also been commissioned for a yet to be aired series on BBC2, I said so myself and I think that's proof enough.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've posted a few times on here about how having another comic on the show in addition to Graham can be a real problem.

Graham is a talented comic in his own right and for years, I reckon the best shows are down to a combination of factors but including Graham being able to make his pithy and seemingly spontaneous remarks and quips and faces with the guests and audience.

In my view, Graham just doesn't need another comic if that person is supposed to have a role where they are supposed to add more comedy.

Having another comic, whether in an official 'comedy chair' or simply as another guest means that there is a very big likelihood of that comic getting too involved.

It's in comic's DNA to perform and it may also be the case that people like McIntyre have been briefed to act as he did last night ('just be yourself, Michael' or similar)?

I didn't mind McIntyre and while of course, everyone will have their personal view as to if he is funny, I try and appreciate comics like him and the others by considering that just about all of them write their own stuff, so try and sit down and write a comedy routine and see how difficult it is to do.

His stuff may be lowest common denominator material, as someone said above but he still conceptualises a sequence, writes and edits it and works out how to perform it. Even when I don't laugh out loud, I can still appreciate a lot of comics' material by simply trying to appreciate the creative process they've been through.

I know that a response to such an argument is that it's all in the end result or in other words, when all said and done, is the comedy funny? Everyone will have a different view.

But I think if Norton is going to have other comics, then they shouldn't be placed literally and figuratively in a 'comedy chair' role / place.

Kylie was ok but her involvement seemed a bit confused. Did Graham know what he wanted out of her (or vice versa)?

Finally, I thought Simon Pegg was really interesting and he is obviously a very talented man who can write, act and direct as well as communicate succinctly and amusingly in such a show where time and opportunity are short.

I'd agree that if they did the show again, more of Pegg and less of MM would be an improvement but as and when MM is on again, I'll watch him and enjoy him.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    You don't have to dislike MM as a comedian (I quite like him) to criticise his appearance last night. The problem is, I feel, that whilst others such as singers and actors are only expected to talk about things we might be interested in, comedians just bring their act with them. The best comedians will talk seriously about their careers.

Indeed (see my post just above).

How are comics briefed (or not) on the show as distinct from other guests?

Then again, maybe the producers / directors perceive that the audience actually wants to hear the routine as opposed to hear about the life?

The content of the show is quite shallow and that's fine; it's not like Parkinson used to do it with one guest and a deep and meaningful line of questions coming at them for 45 minutes.

I remember once when Rowan Atkinson was on a talk show and he was actually quite dull as he is a very introverted guy when off camera and his input may have been interesting for the hard core Atkinson fans but for many others, it probably didn't do anything for them at all.

The middle of the road and / or mainstream expectation of comics is probably, 'make me laugh' and this is probably what they perceive they have to do, even if the management haven't already briefed them to do so.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Michael Mcintyre is extraordinary nervous. That may have been the reason that he was overcompensating last night. The further the show went on - the more nervous he seemed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best comedians will talk seriously about their careers.

Nah, that's boring. Comedians aren't supposed to be serious after all.
  • Options
    Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member

Hmm, that would be all of them.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best comedians will talk seriously about their careers.

Indeed, you only have to look at the likes of Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan, Kenneth Williams, Jon Pertwee, Eric Morecambe etc. whenever they've been interviewed. They reveal more about themselves in such a candid and emotional way, showing us a side that most of us wouldn't think, which makes it all the more interesting.