super size vs super skinny

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    Someone actually recommended this show to me and I have no idea why. It was full of cod science and nothing was followed through to any learnable conclusion.

A woman who virtually had an eating phobia was faced with the pointless, if not dangerous, task of eating a 400lb man's lousy, fatty diet - while he had to eat her starvation portions when he should have been learning how to eat properly - why? If she was likely to be turned off food completely this seemed like a good way to start.

People in the street were asked to guess the calories in 3 dishes and the recommendation from the show appeared to be eat Cornish pasties for lunch rather than grilled chicken or salad. That is bad advice unless it is explained what was in each dish. What was in the salad dressing that made it more calorific than pastry? We weren't told, but it couldn't have been the chicken.

And what was that whole thing about you can lose centimetres off your waist and hips with a stomach massage followed by a large dump? You would put this back on the first time you ate or drank. The woman doing the measuring was not an objective tester but the person selling the concept - her measurements should have been examined because they were, frankly, unbelievable.

great post, i totally agree.
    im not 100% sure but i think last week she said a fried breakfast was healthier than cereal? like you said, if they had highlighted why the chicken & salad had more calories, then it would have educated people into looking more into their choices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i forgot to add, its not all about calories, the chicken & salad provides vitamins & nutrients needed as part of a healthy diet. the show is a joke.
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    great post, i totally agree.
    im not 100% sure but i think last week she said a fried breakfast was healthier than cereal? like you said, if they had highlighted why the chicken & salad had more calories, then it would have educated people into looking more into their choices.

From this she seems to be going down the low carb route.

I know someone that was diagnosed as having late onset diabetes and when they went to see the dietician one of the breakfasts recommended was bacon and eggs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From this she seems to be going down the low carb route.

I know someone that was diagnosed as having late onset diabetes and when they went to see the dietician one of the breakfasts recommended was bacon and eggs.

cutting out a food group ie. carbs isnt healthy.
    Anyway most fried brekkies are not low carbs (bread, beans etc) and your friend is one individual case where a doctor recommended particular foods for her, whereas GM is recommending fatty foods to all viewers watching. I dont think its a good idea.
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cutting out a food group ie. carbs isnt healthy.
    Anyway most fried brekkies are not low carbs (bread, beans etc) and your friend is one individual case where a doctor recommended particular foods for her, whereas GM is recommending fatty foods to all viewers watching. I dont think its a good idea.

I'd agree with with you that cutting out carbs isn't healthy. Hell I'm a veggie. I tried the Atkins diet and lasted less than two weeks because I couldn't eat anything.

I didn't see this so I can't comment about whether she was recommending the bread and beans to be part of the breakfast. Baked beans actually aren't that bad.

If you grill the bacon and poach the eggs that would be a low fat breakfast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with with you that cutting out carbs isn't healthy. Hell I'm a veggie. I tried the Atkins diet and lasted less than two weeks because I couldn't eat anything.

I didn't see this so I can't comment about whether she was recommending the bread and beans to be part of the breakfast. Baked beans actually aren't that bad.

If you grill the bacon and poach the eggs that would be a low fat breakfast.

I'm a veggie too :) My friends tried Atkins for a while and i was going to but like you said there is nothing we are allowed to eat! i think it was only cheese but im not too sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago when it seemed like everyone and their dog was on the Atkins diet, I refused to even try it because it just didn't look healthy to me. I don't like "fad" or "miracle" diets in general. Surely they don't work well as a long-term solution?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time Lady wrote: »
    A few years ago when it seemed like everyone and their dog was on the Atkins diet, I refused to even try it because it just didn't look healthy to me. I don't like "fad" or "miracle" diets in general. Surely they don't work well as a long-term solution?

no they dont. everybody ive known that went on atkins ended up gaining back all the weight they had lost plus more because they were craving carbs and ended up eating more than they would have normally have done.
  • Options
    GinaGoldGinaGold Posts: 14,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elizabeth really has a problem with not eating enough food. It will be interesting to see how much of Stefan's food she will eat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no way I could eat all that raw garlic in that food.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good to see that Elizabeth has put some weight on at the end of the programme. I hope she carries on like that and don't go back on her prunes, garlic and brazil nut diet.
  • Options
    jellybabie68jellybabie68 Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DId anyone watch this weeks? showed Nicki Grahame (BB) talking about her eating disorders and how she will never be able to have kids as she has never had a period. It was also hard to believe that the 21st women ate so healthy and the 6st women ate pure junk and crap all day its like they had them mixed up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    Someone actually recommended this show to me and I have no idea why. It was full of cod science and nothing was followed through to any learnable conclusion.

A woman who virtually had an eating phobia was faced with the pointless, if not dangerous, task of eating a 400lb man's lousy, fatty diet - while he had to eat her starvation portions when he should have been learning how to eat properly - why? If she was likely to be turned off food completely this seemed like a good way to start.

People in the street were asked to guess the calories in 3 dishes and the recommendation from the show appeared to be eat Cornish pasties for lunch rather than grilled chicken or salad. That is bad advice unless it is explained what was in each dish. What was in the salad dressing that made it more calorific than pastry? We weren't told, but it couldn't have been the chicken.

And what was that whole thing about you can lose centimetres off your waist and hips with a stomach massage followed by a large dump? You would put this back on the first time you ate or drank. The woman doing the measuring was not an objective tester but the person selling the concept - her measurements should have been examined because they were, frankly, unbelievable.

Well said. This programme is absolute trash. It encourages unhealthy eating habits and body image.

1. It tells overweight people that following the extreme deprivation diets of the 'skinny' participant is the way to lose weight.

2. It implies that, if you want to gain weight, then the best way to do it is to eat obscene portions of fatty, sugary food.
    (I notice that they don't test the cholesterol levels or blood pressure of the unfortunate skinny participants before and after they follow the 'fat' eating regime. I wonder how much damage is caused)

3. I'm not entirely sure what having Gillian McKeith screech abuse at overweight people in the street is supposed to accomplish. They either go home feeling terrible about themselves or participate in whatever ridiculous fad she's pushing this week. This woman has no qualifications and is positively dangerous.

The week they featured the model talking about her eating disorder was particularly awful. The programme makers hamfistedly juxtaposed her story with Gillian McKeith castigating women walking down the street for having big backsides. I can't figure out whether they are genuinely stupid, or whether they are secretly resentful about being involved in such a witless waste of time and are purposely making it look awful.
  • Options
    Lush_LolaLush_Lola Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who else watching :o
  • Options
    bigbro24bigbro24 Posts: 11,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The presenter (Anna Ryder-Richardson) who does a segment on this is awful and insensitive. How'd she get on telly?!
  • Options
    Lush_LolaLush_Lola Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea, she's very annoying.
  • Options
    Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bigbro24 wrote: »
    The presenter (Anna Ryder-Richardson) who does a segment on this is awful and insensitive. How'd she get on telly?!

Not half as awful and annoying as Gillian Mckeith.

It's Just Anna Richardson, Anna Ryder Richardson is the Changing Rooms presenter:)
  • Options
    bigbro24bigbro24 Posts: 11,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »
    Not half as awful and annoying as Gillian Mckeith.

It's Just Anna Richardson, Anna Ryder Richardson is the Changing Rooms presenter:)

She's worse than Gillian! :eek: :D
    Anna : YOU HAVE NEVER HAD A PERIOD!!!!
    YOU HAVE GONE BLIND IN ONE EYE!!!!

What's with all the incredulous shouting?!

Tune in next week for presumably
    Anna: YOU HAVE LOST YOUR LEGS AND YOUR HUSBAND RAN OFF WITH THE OVERWEIGHT VICAR!!!
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    First and last time I have watched this ... FFS flying someone out to America to see someone who is totally obese :eek: They could have done that in this country :mad:

What a joke programme :rolleyes:
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Talk about getting mad over nothing. I've found it very useful seeing the state some of those yanks have got themselves into. And even though we are catching up, we're not there yet I don't think. so why not.

Anyway, gym next week, seeing so many people without toes has really disturbed me.:(
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    Talk about getting mad over nothing. I've found it very useful seeing the state some of those yanks have got themselves into. And even though we are catching up, we're not there yet I don't think. so why not.

Anyway, gym next week, seeing so many people without toes has really disturbed me.:(

I know, my husband has gone out so I just watched that with a huge chinese takeaway.

It's put me off completing my meal with a Penguin :)
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The supersizers don't seem to lose that much weight. I'd expect at least 2 stone in 2 months.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »

I should've known not to watch it while sitting down for my tea! I'd just come home from 2 fitness classes though so I didn't feel too bad - my toes should be safe for now :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »
    The supersizers don't seem to lose that much weight. I'd expect at least 2 stone in 2 months.

That's incredibly unhealthy and you'd have to go under your daily calorie requirements to achieve it.

The max a person should lose is 2lb/week. More if you've just started with water weight and such.