Options

Beijing World Athletics presented from Salford

Comments

• Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,061
    Forum Member
    I'd prefer the BBC to present coverage on site, but if they can't afford too then they have no choice but to present from Salford.

I'm more concerned that they are still using Paula Radcliffe, who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the coverage after her recent antics
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The laughable thing is that as the BBC can no longer afford to compete with the subscription channels as it cuts its cloth thinner and timber, more and more sporting events go behind a pay wall that costs over £500 to access each year. The British Open being the latest victim.

But another £10-20 a year on the licence fee, which would help stem the flow, and the vocal few would burst every blood vessel in their body at the very thought.

Mixed up logic to me.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I'd prefer the BBC to present coverage on site, but if they can't afford too then they have no choice but to present from Salford.

I'm more concerned that they are still using Paula Radcliffe, who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the coverage after her recent antics

What 'antics'?
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC have gotten used to focussing on the presenting team rather than the event.

It's a bizarre concept (and probably copied from America). It makes watching BBC sport almost unbearably boring as the presenters basically say the same thing over and over again while the camera slowly rotates around them.

People who like watching actual sport won't wish to watch this "chat show", while the general public will not wish to watch either since it's all so boring.

And now it's not even on location!, so looks ridiculous as well as being tedious.

The only people less talented than the current batch of BBC TV executives will be the next batch of BBC TV executives.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    What 'antics'?

Methinks he's referring to the internet tittle tattle over Radcliffe not releasing her blood data. Which obviously means she is 100% guilty of doping.

Whereas others look at her as one of Britain's greatest athletes, who holds one of the great world records, who got where she is by hard work, dedication and sheer guts that Ads can only dream of. But it's infinitely easier to be a snidey keyboard warrior than put your body and reputation on the line in the real world.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Methinks he's referring to the internet tittle tattle over Radcliffe not releasing her blood data. Which obviously means she is 100% guilty of doping.
    Yes, ignoring the reasons why she is against it and the fact that WADA support her viewpoint.
    But it's infinitely easier to be a snidey keyboard warrior than put your body and reputation on the line in the real world.
    Correct
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    People who like watching actual sport won't wish to watch this "chat show", while the general public will not wish to watch either since it's all so boring.

Please can you cite some solid data to back up this statement.

I think it's more personal opinion in reality isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whereas others look at her as one of Britain's greatest athletes, who holds one of the great world records, who got where she is by hard work, dedication and sheer guts that Ads can only dream of. But it's infinitely easier to be a snidey keyboard warrior than put your body and reputation on the line in the real world.

I thought it might be about that. I can't see why athletes should have to release personal information for the amusement of the media.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Please can you cite some solid data to back up this statement.

I think it's more personal opinion in reality isn't it?

Wish it was a more popular opinion. The BBC are absolute experts in talking to camera whilst sport goes on in the background. They could save SO much money by not having a host or studio anywhere and just show us the world feed with commentators.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish it was a more popular opinion. The BBC are absolute experts in talking to camera whilst sport goes on in the background. They could save SO much money by not having a host or studio anywhere and just show us the world feed with commentators.

I believe there are other channels where you can watch every single heat and event without any commentary or interruption, or you could go and watch in person. I am sure most people are not interested in watching the heats of the under-16 wheelchair Egg and Spoon Race so prefer to watch well known people talking about the events in general.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    I do wish the BBC had done the same for the World Cup in Rio. Why they needed a make-shift studio which was nowhere near the action, at the same time wasting money shipping all of them out there and paying for some elaborate accommodation for 6 weeks! There wasn't anything that they did in Rio that they couldn't have done in Salford.

They were next door to the ITV studio and in a building shared with most other major broadcasters at the tournament:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2014/jun/23/world-cup-2014-world-cup-football
  • Options
    pengedragonpengedragon Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurosport is very good if you don't want any superfluous chat

That said, I thought the analysis from Michael Johnson and Daley Thompson this morning, especially regarding kjt and bolt, was absolutely superb, about as good as you'll get in any sport
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC are holding the country to ransom with little stunts like this , threatening to close channels etc.

Last time I checked the license was being frozen not reduced.

"oh look we are in Salford because of the government we are having to do it on the cheap".

I don't mind chat/analysis that said Michael Johnson brings everything and Daley Thompson nothing, he can't even be bothered to dress up for the occasion.

I bet Michael was like WTF they he was told they wouldn't be going out there.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But costs aren't frozen (inflation), so in real-terms it's a small reduction.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But inflation hasn't moved, we've even had deflation.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The only people less talented than the current batch of BBC TV executives will be the next batch of BBC TV executives.

Not really as the next batch may just want to broadcast the sport, I would if I was in charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC are holding the country to ransom with little stunts like this , threatening to close channels etc.

"oh look we are in Salford because of the government we are having to do it on the cheap".

I don't mind chat/analysis that said Michael Johnson brings everything and Daley Thompson nothing, he can't even be bothered to dress up for the occasion.

alexj2002 wrote: »
    But costs aren't frozen (inflation), so in real-terms it's a small reduction.
    And some new costs have been taken on by the BBC, such as the cost of World Service radio, BBC Monitoring, and some of the costs of S4C
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But inflation hasn't moved, we've even had deflation.
    Since 2010? Every month?

For example, from 2011:
    UK inflation jumped to a three-year high last month as energy bills rose sharply, tightening the squeeze on households.

The Office for National Statistics said consumer price inflation rose to 5.2% in September, up sharply from 4.5% in August and also above the economists' consensus forecast for 4.9%. It was the highest since September 2008. In that month inflation also hit 5.2% and was the highest since this series of data began in 1997.

The ONS said that gas, electricity and fuel prices were the biggest factors in the rise. Overall, prices in the economy rose 0.6% on the month from August but average gas bills rose by 13% and electricity bills went up 7.5%, reflecting recent complaints from households, politicians and consumer groups over rising bills.

Food and transport costs were also significantly higher than a year earlier.
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/oct/18/inflation-hits-three-year-high

And Sept 2012:
    he Consumer Prices Index (CPI) annual inflation stands at 2.2 per cent in September 2012, down from 2.5 per cent in August. This is the slowest rate of inflation since November 2009, when it was 1.9 per cent.
    The majority of the downward pressure to the change in the CPI came from the housing & household services sector with September 2011’s utility bill rises falling out of the index calculation. There were significant upward pressures from the transport (predominantly motor fuels), recreation & culture and miscellaneous goods & services sectors.
    The CPI stands at 123.5 in September 2012 based on 2005 = 100.
    The Retail Prices Index (RPI) annual inflation stands at 2.6 per cent in September 2012, down from 2.9 per cent in August.
    By far the largest downward pressure to the change in the RPI came as a result of September 2011’s utility bill rises falling out of the index calculation. The majority of the upward pressure to the index came from an increase in the price of motor fuels.
    http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/cpi/consumer-price-indices/september-2012/stb---consumer-price-indices---september-2012.html
  • Options
    Forum Member

No need to get personal against other posters. She did something that legally I shouldn't really post on a UK website as she threatened to sue the Sunday Times and other media. A google search would bring it up though.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    That said, I thought the analysis from Michael Johnson and Daley Thompson this morning, especially regarding kjt and bolt, was absolutely superb, about as good as you'll get in any sport

Unfortunately for every Micheal Johnson and Daley Thompson there's a Colin Jackson and Denise Lewis to endure.

Denise Lewis particularly shows no signs of getting any better, she can barely construct a coherent sentence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Unfortunately for every Micheal Johnson and Daley Thompson there's a Colin Jackson and Denise Lewis to endure.

Denise Lewis particularly shows no signs of getting any better, she can barely construct a coherent sentence.

Worst is Darren Campbell on 5live.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »

She sometimes reminds me of Cathy Freeman who had a very brief tenure as a BBC pundit.

I accept it must be very difficult for her to keep a constant stream of information going, (as required by the producer) without repeating herself or saying something daft now and again.
    Perhaps she needs a few lessons from Clare Balding, who throughout her long career as had the ability on occasions, "to talk bollox with authority and conviction."

Or maybe Brendan foster can show her how to say the same things three different ways in succession, whilst he attempts to think up some more platitudes. I'm starting to wonder a bit about Andrew Cotter, as he on occasions seems to be heading down the same slippery path. No hope for Crammy, he's already there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the origin post about everyone being in Salford had clearly shown to be rubbish?

I think there has always been someone back in the UK during major overseas events like this. It is a good place to hold the whole programme together, there might be people in the UK they want to interview and they can be more in touch with the British media than someone at the other side of the world,
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    Nilrem wrote: »
    So as an example of extravagance you're probably a mile off the mark.
    As they were the last time the portable studio was mentioned. So no change there then. (And that comment goes for most of the "anti-BBC/LF side of things :))
    marke09 wrote: »
    gov hasnt saddled them with anything yet...
    Erm... the 20% "real-terms" cut in 2010?
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I'm going to guess that South Africa does not have a huge surplus of studio capacity of known quality and provenance.

This is important is it means that when there is a major event that will have dozens/hundreds of broadcasters vying for studio capacity you can be fairly sure that the price of what is available will skyrocket, especially stuff in safer locations near to say accomodation.

...[snip]
    All of which I am sure Mr Riley et al will completely ignore. But thanks for taking the time to point out the common sense of it all.
    As you say, it's just a guess.
    QED.
    The BBC are supposedly the outfit with the big bucks...
    With a 20% 'real terms' cut in budget since 2010 and another one on the way, not so much.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As they were the last time the portable studio was mentioned. So no change there then. (And that comment goes for most of the "anti-BBC/LF side of things :))

Erm... the 20% "real-terms" cut in 2010?

All of which I am sure Mr Riley et al will completely ignore. But thanks for taking the time to point out the common sense of it all.

QED.

With a 20% 'real terms' cut in budget since 2010 and another one on the way, not so much.

Miss this bit of information posted by another contributor, or did it not suit your argument?

At major events, the host broadcaster will build studios for anyone who wants them. This was the case in South Africa, where HBS built 13 studios with a view of Soccer City, a short walk from the International Broadcast Centre.

These were used by all the major world broadcasters, including ESPN, Al Jazeera, ARD, RAI and ITV. Smaller broadcasters set up studios within the IBC.

So the BBC didn't need to build their own, and while there are cost savings to buying a modular studio which can be re-used, they also had to pay to rent the space they used to hold it, on the roof of a hospital. And because the windows wouldn't fit in the hospital lifts, they hired a crane to lift it into place.

The BBC were still the outfit with the big bucks at the time, or at least, thought they were. Still it was a nice vista behind people like the £1.5M earning Alan Hansen, wasn't it?

QED.