Options

Things that have disappeared from the supermarket shelves or are much rarer now

Comments

• Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon sells it for £1.89.

Yes, with £3.49 delivery. I used to pay 80p for it in Asda.

Anyway, I've since discovered Morrisons still sell it for 85p so I'm going to have a trip to Morrisons this week and stock up.

It's a complete rip off on Amazon.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    Ice Poles....Mr Freeze etc.

I often see Mr Freeze wrappers dumped in the street in the summer months. Amazon sells it by the box.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I can still get Heinz curried beans, just not in the single serving tins anymore, just the large ones.

There used to be a little microwave meal pot by Princes with Tikka Masala which used to be quite tasty but I haven't seen them in over 7 years now. Probably just as well as they were most likely hellishly fatty and unhealthy, delicious though :kitty:

Also in the frozen food department, it's very rare to see Findus products. Anyone remember in the early 80s their French bread pizzas? They were yummy too.

I saw French Bread Pizza in Iceland yesterday when I was looking for bean burgers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often see Mr Freeze wrappers dumped in the street in the summer months. Amazon sells it by the box.

I saw boxes of Mr Freeze ice pops on sale somewhere recently, I can't think where though. It was probably Iceland or B&M.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Choclate Ready Break, loved this as a kid but cant find it anywhere.
  • Options
    hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just googled to see about toast toppers as I fancied some but could not find any in ASDA, and this thread came up, shame about that.

Another thing I was sad the see go was Birds hot banana crunch, I miss those.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    You can still buy them in ASDA.

They are actually mentioned in the checkout training aswel because the cylandar need to be scanned a different way to be replaced.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    David_Hill wrote: »
    Choclate Ready Break, loved this as a kid but cant find it anywhere.

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Ready-Brek-Chocolate/59884011
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viscounts, last seen in B&M , a superior biscuit IMO.

Does anyone make Farola anymore ? Loved that stuff, like a semolina or rice pudding except it was tasty and pleasant. I remember stirring it for ages and ages so lumps wouldn't form, lump free Farola was the perfect ending to the sunday lunch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Panda Pop gone replaced by Panda Still Water which is just rubbish. Apparently too many colours and stuff, PC brigade struck again. (Early-Mid 2000's).

Ship them off to some remote island somewhere so they can set up their own colony with elected leaders and meetings and see how long it lasts before heated arguments
    and violence breaks out,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Drinks:
    Lamot
    Nemesis
    Hubba bubba
    (I definetly getting these from Woolworths):-
    Black Jack
    Refreshers
    Sherbert Dip
    Straberry pepsi

Food
    Rust;ers noodles
    Peperami noodles
    pizza balls
    Different flavoured microchips (False advertising as they were advertised but nowhere seemed to stock them)
    Turkey Twizzlers (banned because of Jamie Oliver {and you know my punishment/torture for the healthy eating Nazis involving take aways and being tied to a chair... Honestly, the way they go on, anybody'd think McDonads/KFC employ force people to eat items from their menus)
    Chicken fingers
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what happened to Castle Wyness ginger wine essence? Making my own ginger wine used to be an integral part of our Christmas, then one year it just wasn't around anymore. None of the other brands taste as good :(
  • Options
    Fuzzy WarblesFuzzy Warbles Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toffee yo-yos >:(
  • Options
    ratty123ratty123 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Vanilla Diet Coke.

I still mourn the day they stopped making that. My replacement is Barr Cream Soda, which isn't same but it at least satisfies my monthly craving.

I love Vanilla Diet Coke. Have you got a Burger King near you? Some branches have 'coke freestyle' machines which lets you make any flavour combination including vanilla diet coke!

I discovered this on a trip to London, it was every bit as amazing as I remebered :D
  • Options
    blahblahblah57blahblahblah57 Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I used to love the Marabou Delite bars! No one else seems to remember them though!
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Dad's Cookies. They were my favourite biscuit for years, crunchy, slightly spicy and fab for dunking.

Sign me up for the Bring Back Spangles campaign, too. Old English were my favourite.

Oh well, that's 1 for Delite and 1 for Spangles. We're hardly setting the petition world on fire.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monty_Hall wrote: »
    Not the same thing but I saw some people on Black Friday fighting over a telly called a Polaroid.

Same brand as the old camera company but not the same company I dont think.

Theres a few of these recycled brands. I think Bush and Bluapunkt might be 2 more.

The Bush brand originated in 1932 and is now owned by Argos as is Alba which had been around since 1922 and owned Bush as well as the rights to Grundig until 2010.

Argos call them sister brands but from what I can see the TV's seem to be identical but the price is higher on a Bush than Alba, though Argos seem to not be making Alba Tv's at present.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    ratty123 wrote: »
    I love Vanilla Diet Coke. Have you got a Burger King near you? Some branches have 'coke freestyle' machines which lets you make any flavour combination including vanilla diet coke!

I discovered this on a trip to London, it was every bit as amazing as I remebered :D

If you buy the unlimited soft-drinks at Harvester, you can use the Pepsico dispense system which mixes either Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, R.Whites, Diet R.Whites, Apple or Orange Tango with a combination of flavour "hits" (I suppose you'd call them), which includes Cherry or Vanilla (and a few others which I forget now).
    So you can have Vanilla Pepsi.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Viscounts, last seen in B&M , a superior biscuit IMO.

Does anyone make Farola anymore ? Loved that stuff, like a semolina or rice pudding except it was tasty and pleasant. I remember stirring it for ages and ages so lumps wouldn't form, lump free Farola was the perfect ending to the sunday lunch.

Are Viscounts round chocolate and mint biscuits in a green wrapper? If so then you get them in Iceland. Normally in one of those wire bins they put in the aisle with special offers in them and to generally get in the way
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citrus Spring Lime Flavour. I think it was made by Britvic!

McVities Jersey Slice

Birdseye Crispy Cod Fries, which as far as I remember, were balls of battered fish.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toast Toppers can be found in Poundland. Absolutely vile, like sweaty feet flavoured glue on toast.
  • Options
    MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple & melon J20 - typical as it was my favourite!
    Pot Rice - think another poster mentioned this.
    Cadburys Silk chocolate bars.
    Dairy Box yoghurts.
    Pacers.
    Breezers - does anyone else remember these? Not the Bacardi drink but sweets wrapped like fruit pastilles but with a menthol flavour, I think they were red and green.
  • Options
    Martyn1Martyn1 Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ratty123 wrote: »

They still have Diet Coke Vanilla down under in Aus! I had a 2 litre bottle on a recent trip to Melbourne. Just wish they would have a Coke Zero Vanilla out over here. I hate the fact that now a days the only vanilla cola drinks you can get are "vanilla coke full sugar" or the vile tasting Tesco "xtra cola vanilla". I wish Pepsi would bring a vanilla drink out, to sit along side their Cherry Pepsi Max flavour, or as I say even a Coke Zero Vanilla would be great!!
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pot mash
    imperial leather shaving foam
    and Iceland did a thing called a snack pack which was potato wedges, onion rings, chicken dippers and chicken wings with a generous packet of tomato sauce
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toffee and Mallow eggs. Like Creme Eggs, but as the name suggests, full of soft toffee and marshmallow. Gorgeous and no longer available. :(

I really miss those too. I loved them and thought they were much better than creme eggs.