Options

Yet another silly Facebook change

Comments

• Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »

Without wishing to sound too po-faced about it, it isn't a minor change that you have to just spend five minutes familiarising yourself with, it is a fundamental change to the privacy you have on the site, with nothing you can do about it except vote with your feet. Whilst the tone of that piece may have rung true for some earlier changes, this one is different and I suspect the writer is just parroting something he's heard withoout really understanding it.

Secondly, it's only free in the same way that 'free banking' is free. They earn billions out of what the collective 'we' give them. It's a mutually beneficial relationship and whilst we don't 'have' to use it, it's in their interests too that we don't get fed up, sign off and go somewhere else. They'll be left with the people who signed up years ago because everyone was doing it and have never posted anything since...
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facebook is free. I think we get that now. Something orginal to poke fun at users now please, it's been done to death! :D
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    The more I work with this new update, the more I hate it. It's not like old ones where it was just a matter of getting used to a new layout, or something minor like the photo editor being not so good.

If I'm seeing what my friends have commented on strangers (to me)'s statuses, or photos or posted on their walls,keep popping up in my side feed, that means everyone else is seeing what I post too. I just don't want it. I want to be able to, say, swear in a reply to one friend (where it may be suitable) or express my appreciation of a friend in a bikini and not have it instantly pop up for everyone else who knows me. I know I can change all my privacy settings (again) but it is such a pain in the arse. I don't even mind people seeing it if they hunt it out, but it is just the permanent laying it out on a plate for everyone to see that I object to.

So, all of this means that I'm just not reallly commenting on anyone's stuff and I'm sure others will slow down to. Facebook will lose it's vibrancy by doing this, rather than increase it, and it'll be the slow road downhill from there.

That's what I hate about the latest changes too, but apparently there is a way to stop it. If you move your mouse over a story in the side box another box appears containing that story. Hover over your friends name in the new box and a list should appear showing things you can subscribe to for that friend. At the bottom of the list it says unsubscribe, click on that and it should stop you seeing any more stories about that person in the little side box. I haven't tried it myself yet but been told about it by a couple of people.

Obviously to stop your friends seeing everything you do you will need to do a status or something asking them to do the above so they no longer see everything you're up to. There are no guarantees that everyone on your friend list will do it though (a lot of people are too nosey!) so unless facebook come up with a better solution I think i'll be posting a lot less.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    has anyone else set up the new timeline yet or is it just me? actually looks quite good though i dont know why i couldnt wait a week as im the only 1 who can see it! sadly for those who dont like change, u will be forced to have this new timeline from next friday.
  • Options
    No-OneNo-One Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no ticker here. I found that creating a friend list and adding everyone to is will let you view all their posts on chronological order again. A bit awkward but it works.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I am getting use to the new look

Still not happy with the privacy settings though. Friends lists are also worse but the homepage with the new wall is good.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    danleto wrote: »
    I've been on Facebook for years and they've constantly ripped things out, put things in, made things harder, made things more complicated and I'm sick of it. It's like there's a bunch of amateurs in charge.

...and watching the film The Social Network will help to explain why. :eek:
    odz1 wrote: »
    Have they made the pic sizes far larger? The news feed is terrible.
    I only have about odd 80 friends on facebook and when logged in saw had about 60.
    They all deactivated and went to google+.
    I just deactivated as well can't be arsed with those new changes.

If the 25% losses highlighted above are typical, then Facebook really ought to be concerned since Bebo, MySpace and Friendster all show that there's no guarantee of long term success if you fluff up. They ought perhaps to consider a Facebook Classic look option to stop the exodus of users.

l assume this was done to "improve" Facebook and keep it ahead of new rival Google+ but all they've is act as a recruiting agent for Google+ instead - doh! This might explain why Google+ went open to all very recently perhaps in direct response to a whole load of disaffected Facebook users suddenly asking to join.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    The new spotify feature is pure genius, well done facebook.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accidentely removed the sidebar permanatley, and now I can't get it back? It comes up with the original chat bar, but I want the sidebar back for the ticker. Can anyone else help on this one? Thanks :)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Wow, Google really are scaring the Hell out of Facebook, aren't they? I heard Facebook lost 1.6m members yesterday because of all the stupid changes that not many people like.

Judging by the images in them links I don't really like it either. Good job we have Google to save the day if it really is bad.

:eek:...and, if they have any sense, the senior executives will do some serious damage limitation unless, of course, they want to end up like MySpace.
  • Options
    jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danleto wrote: »

Of course it is.

The information people submit to Facebook is the stuff of marketeer's wet dreams. Instead of having to conjole us into handing over information we may normally be protective of, it seems to me that social networking is the greatest illusion of modern times to hand it over freely. As Zuckerberg was famously caught saying in a chat log in the early days of FB "Facebook users are dumb ****s" or something to that effect. So even their CEO is aware that people are being sucked in, as gullable fools. So hey, as FB gain millions of users month on month, I quietly dispair about the number of people falling for this ruse.

Someone a few pages back mentioned deleting their account. I trust they are aware that whilst deleting your account makes your profile disspear from the public eye, every single 0 and 1 of your data is still held by Facebook. Ok, maybe times have changed, but there was a big scandal about this a couple of years back, where someone had second thoughts, re-registered and found everything was still there just how they left it. Apparently you had to email them, begging for a real data wipe - and apply more blind, baseless trust and faith that they actually will.

My concern is this :
    Facebook users have no form of legal contract with FB to have any reason to believe their data is safe, or FB can be trusted to keep that data safe.

Facebook have so much form on making arbitary changes to your privacy settings without your consent, you can't rely on that either.

Just imagine if FB do this again, by globally resetting all your privacy settings. I hope FB users understand they are at their mercy, and have handed over their data to a party who has no obligation to the users to play fair.

I have absolutely no problem with people who are into FB who's eyes are open as to what rights that have (none), what assurance they have of the protection of their information (none) then so be it. But I worry that the vast majority have never ever stopped to consider the implications. There was a thread on DS a few months back from someone who had had their identity stolen, courtesy of their profile on FB? Sympathy? None. Don't be so clueless, and don't sign up to something just because your mates have.

Even current to today, this Photo tagging thing is another example of FB violating your privacy at every turn.
  • Options
    northernslayernorthernslayer Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone know if there is a way to hide the timestamp on facebook? Years ago I changed my settings to disable it and it has always been that way.. but now since the new changes it's back to showing the exact time I do or say anything... I know it's not a biggie but it's something I don't like. Guess thats something else they have done away with.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »
    I accidentely removed the sidebar permanatley, and now I can't get it back? It comes up with the original chat bar, but I want the sidebar back for the ticker. Can anyone else help on this one? Thanks :)

Some of us have never even had the ticker appear in the first place!!!!!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daddyA wrote: »
    The new spotify feature is pure genius, well done facebook.

Why?

don't see the point to be honest, if i listen to music from spotify, I just want to listen to it, I don't want people on Facebook to know what I am listening to and doubt any of them care anyway, like i am not bothered what they listen to or watch for that matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »
    Some of us have never even had the ticker appear in the first place!!!!!

Lucky you, i would love to know how to get rid of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    :eek: I really don't feel the need to share all that on the internet!

But you already have by posting it in the first place :confused:
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only been using Facebook a few months so don't have much to complain about as it was all new to me anyway.One thing I have noticed this past week, when someone replies to something I've said I'll receive an email notification, yet when I click on the link there is no comment. Also some things I have written aren't showing up on my wall. Any ideas anyone.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Why?

don't see the point to be honest, if i listen to music from spotify, I just want to listen to it, I don't want people on Facebook to know what I am listening to and doubt any of them care anyway, like i am not bothered what they listen to or watch for that matter.

I agree.

Social networking, especially from what I have seen of the new timeline feature, seems to be about to reach a tipping point. I've been happy to let people know what I'm up to, share my holiday pics, comment on what they've been up to and shar the odd cool link, but it looks like the future is going to be about sharing every conversation, every LOL, every newspaper article you read or song you listen to, automatically with everyone and seems to be getting harder and harder to opt out of it.

I'm already self-censoring heavily since last week's changes, not making comments on other people's statuses any more, but I think in future the only way to keep any sort of privacy is going to be not to post at all. We need to decide if we're in or we're out and (sadly, because I do like Facebook) I'm going to be out..
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you already have by posting it in the first place :confused:

I don't feel the need to post all that on the internet. When I say 'sharing', I'm meaning posting it online.:)
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate how the new friend groups are laid out I actually have people in the wrong category now.

For example say 20 people work with me it's hard to see that number now as you can't display it on the profile and you can't just pull the menu down to find it.

Seems Facebook is going anti-social and trying to focus more on music, updates rather than the usual sharing, friend editing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I hate the ticker and way they have changed the news feed!

Another thing I don't like is the timeline can be used to easily stalk someone's whole entire facebook life! No joke at all. Look through all there status's and pictures per year and month. A bit creepy tbh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Why?

Because I will discover music I might not have heard before. I can now view friends music interests and listen to it. It's a bit like last fm and more people I know have subscribed to spotify since facebook rolled this out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I agree.

Social networking, especially from what I have seen of the new timeline feature, seems to be about to reach a tipping point. I've been happy to let people know what I'm up to, share my holiday pics, comment on what they've been up to and shar the odd cool link, but it looks like the future is going to be about sharing every conversation, every LOL, every newspaper article you read or song you listen to, automatically with everyone and seems to be getting harder and harder to opt out of it.

i like to control what I am sharing, thankfully most of the sharing are done by cookies and I got software that knocks out the ones i don't want. including facebook connect, facebook beacon and the like button on non facebook websites.
    I'm already self-censoring heavily since last week's changes, not making comments on other people's statuses any more, but I think in future the only way to keep any sort of privacy is going to be not to post at all. We need to decide if we're in or we're out and (sadly, because I do like Facebook) I'm going to be out..

I have taken a lot of my information off Facebook, i will stay with the friends i have got on facebook, but will not accept any new friends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daddyA wrote: »
    Because I will discover music I might not have heard before. I can now view friends music interests and listen to it. It's a bit like last fm and more people I know have subscribed to spotify since facebook rolled this out.

That is why I started to use My Space before it went downhill. Lots of music that never makes it big and yet is still great. Spotify is more mainstream stuff and seems to be mainly modern music, been trying to close my spotify account, but can't find out how to.
  • Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I deactivated today. I noticed there has been less and less news from my friends since the changes. I think people are fed-up and bored.