Options

Breaking News - Alan Henning has been beheaded

Comments

• Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    Oh yea they will kill him but not out of a sense of justice but to get votes.

It's quite possible that the families and loved ones will feel a sense of justice though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can be as simple as that, yes. But parents can be tech-savvy too, and as a rule, nobody knows their kids better. There's bound to be some who've noticed what their kids are up to.

It doesn't have to start with the parents catching their kid surfing a jihadi site. It could start with the kid spouting an out-of-character opinion at the dinner table, the parents are puzzled, and decide to investigate further.

Young people don't always have great impulse control, particularly when they are passionate about something. The radicalisation and fanaticism probably manifests itself in behavioural changes which the parents will (or should?) pick up on, even if the kid thinks they're doing a good job of hiding it. I can't see it being possible to completely hide something like this from their families, at least not forever.

I'm not sure what you are saying. The parents we have seen are utterly heart-broken, as any of us would be. No one likes to see their teenage child going away, probably forever, to take part in something seen as disgraceful and shameful.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    The whole country united against the EDL but British Muslims don't seem to care when the shoe is on the other foot.

Actually, that's not true. Ever heard of not in my name
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I'm sorry writing 'lol (at some of the comments on the thread)' wasn't clear enough...

This is the internet - you could have been laughing at the funny words or even the layout of the website i don't bloody know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    It's quite possible that the families and loved ones will feel a sense of justice though.

Meh..
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel that the majority of British muslims pay lipservice to condemning ISIS because they think that's what we want to hear.

As another poster said, if they genuinely condemn what ISIS do why are they not protesting on the streets so ISIS see that its not in their name as they keep telling us.

I think they are probably laughing at us and thinking that one day they will outnumber us as we are just sitting back and letting it happen.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. It is the religion of hatred and oppression and I would like to see it completely banned in this country. The fact that this jihadist is from soft-touch Britain is absolutely awful but doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
    I'm quite sure Alan Hennings family friends would disagree with you on that. IS isn't 'a religion' even though they themselves might claim to be acting in the name of religion....they are not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    Depraved bastards.

Our protests fall on deaf ears.

No truce can be called whilst each feels they are fighting the greater enemy:blush:
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is it the same English guy doing the killing in this video? Same setup as the others?

What an absolute psychopath, having his crimes played out on the world stage.

Is there any way of telling when it actually happened?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    This is the internet - you could have been laughing at the funny words or even the layout of the website i don't bloody know.

A better idea. Engage your brain instead of assuming critics are laughing at 'funny words'.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do seem somewhat easily amused.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Meh..

That doesn't count for much then?
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I really doubt that the man/ men doing the beheading would count liberalism as an influence or motivating factor. And I can't for the life of me see that excessive 'mixing' is likely to have been a factor either. I live in a 'mixed' community, and crime is low and public satisfaction high. Racist political parties always do appallingly because we are mixed and not separated, so there is little in the way of ignorant prejudice.

Right, so to cut a long story short, you live in London. In a little bubble. Well, quite a big one, really. Congratulations. You must be proud.

Anyway, the point I was making is that when you welcome third-world values into this country, you reap what you sow. You can't complain, basically.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are people choosing to overlook the term extremist? it worries me if and when people seem to link terrorist organisations or activities with a legitimate religion. The term, or label, extremist tells you all you should need to know - such people aren't practising the 'everyday version' of the religion, thus they don't properly represent it.

If they used or referred to aspects of Christianity, would we be proposing 'out with all Christians', just in case because you never can be too sure etc.?. Extremism in such instances is exactly that, an extreme, warped and unrecognisable form of a religion - hatred hiding behind the name of religion, to (they'd hope) give it some form of legitimacy. It isn't really religion at all in some respects maybe, its fanaticism and its that, which needs to be addressed. Banning any religion point blank won't do us any good - if anything, it'd just annoy those in IS etc. more, seeing us as enemies even more so. I need to log off now but just felt I ought to say something, as a couple of posts concerned me due to mentions of banning religion, I fear we're already potentially going down a slippery slope with talk of potentially moving away from the European Human Rights Act and moulding one to suit ourselves etc. but thats a whole other topic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    That doesn't count for much then?

They guy will be caught and punished i don't really care how the family feel. I don't have an emotional attachment to these situations.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what you are saying. The parents we have seen are utterly heart-broken, as any of us would be. No one likes to see their teenage child going away, probably forever, to take part in something seen as disgraceful and shameful.

talk is cheap, in front of tv cameras the parents will claim they have no idea whats gone wrong when there's good chance they turned a blind eye or radicalized them themselves
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A better idea. Engage your brain instead of assuming critics are laughing at 'funny words'.

You expect me to treat everyone i see on the internet as a serious person?
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know what to say anymore...

Rest in peace, Alan.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're goading us into war. Whether or not we should oblige is another matter, but I've no doubt whatsoever they'd love nothing more than for us to send troops in.
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every beheading over the past few weeks has been horrific - but there was something about Alan Henning that I think really touched people. He really was Joe Bloggs - the ordinary man in the street who had no reason to be out there other than to help others.
    It was his only motive.

From watching Sky News earlier - people of all faiths are shocked, even heartbroken that such a decent man could be treated like this.

May his poor family somehow find some strength to cope with this nightmare.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,998
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »
    I feel that the majority of British muslims pay lipservice to condemning ISIS because they think that's what we want to hear.

As another poster said, if they genuinely condemn what ISIS do why are they not protesting on the streets so ISIS see that its not in their name as they keep telling us.

I think they are probably laughing at us and thinking that one day they will outnumber us as we are just sitting back and letting it happen.

What good is a protest going to do?
  • Options
    zonazona Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why the captives make these statements if they know they are gonna die. If they told me to say those things I'd say F off! so so sad reading this though. It's just something I wondered after reading the transcripts.

To avoid torture may be. Obliging them means a 'quick' death. Revolting can be death by the most severest means.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »

Lip service is exactly what it is, and the few Muslims who have (eventually) spoken out have probably been motivated to do so partly by a fear of reprisals.

Muslims took to the streets in their thousands when a Danish newspaper printed a cartoon image of their prophet, but when an Islamic group, that includes British Muslims, murder their fellow British citizens in the name of their religion they're nowhere to be seen.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    They're goading us into war. Whether or not we should oblige is another matter, but I've no doubt whatsoever they'd love nothing more than for us to send troops in.

You pretty much have got the situation spot on.

IS wants the west to put its troops on the ground, so for once we should dis oblige them. For once, let the countries in the region take the risk and deal with IS, before they come knocking in their own cities....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Lip service is exactly what it is, and the few Muslims who have (eventually) spoken out have probably been motivated to do so partly by a fear of reprisals.

Muslims took to the streets in their thousands when a Danish newspaper printed a cartoon image of their prophet, but when an Islamic group, that includes British Muslims, murder their fellow British citizens in the name of their religion they're nowhere to be seen.

Why would they if your just going to say it was out of fear of reprisals?