Options

Government want to abolish ESA WRAG

Comments

• Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That means that those people who downsized because of bedroom tax will now have to pay something! They wasted their time and money moving

If they downsized then the rent is likely to be cheaper.

Downsizing will therefore have paid off - for them and the taxpayer.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    BigAndy99 wrote: »

mine`s a fiver more a week in a one bedroom flat with no outside space at all from a big three bedroom house with a large garden about two minutes round the corner.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just when you think they can't sink any lower. :(>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mine`s a fiver more a week in a one bedroom flat with no outside space at all from a big three bedroom house with a large garden about two minutes round the corner.

Oh, i can't argue with that then annette.

But surely, on the whole, won't a smaller place be cheaper than a larger one?
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member

They'd still have to pay
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'd still have to pay

And ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, i can't argue with that then annette.

But surely, on the whole, won't a smaller place be cheaper than a larger one?

i just asked my friend who`s d/sized from two to one two weeks ago, hers is £8 more a week.

i think my council tax is higher here too.

money saving cuts my arse.

it`s cheaper to run in other bills though obviously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And ?

And that was my point, they moved to avoid it and they are still hit with it
  • Options
    aspijackaspijack Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on ESA WRAG from July 2013 until May this year I found a part time job, and moved into my own flat in April and the full rent was covered but I have to pay 48.69 a week now and don't receive Amy council tax reduction I get tax credits with the disability premium.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that was my point, they moved to avoid it and they are still hit with it

Well no i don't think so.

They (will be / are likely to be) are lumbered with something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well no i don't think so.

Well I do
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just asked my friend who`s d/sized from two to one two weeks ago, hers is £8 more a week.

i think my council tax is higher here too.

money saving cuts my arse.

it`s cheaper to run in other bills though obviously.

OK, understandable.

I suppose it's due to rent going through the roof in England.

When i left the army i worked away from home (the things you have to do to find work eh), until last year actually, i rented rooms in houses - paid up to £450 a month just to sleep and live in small bedrooms - horrible!

They could always increase the rate of repatriation of foreigners here to alleviate the housing shortage i suppose?

Or, as i suspect, they could keep building thousands more houses.

While letting in millions more people...
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    So, the government have finally got ballsy enough with cuts that they want to strip away ESA WRAG (work related activity group) altogether, leaving just the ESA support group.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33347511

God help the sick and disabled if this actually goes through. I didn't think it could get any more insane.

They'll pull the whole welfare state away next (except pensioner benefits of course). No money for anyone (except the elderly). Then we'll really be f*cked.

For anyone to get ESA (WRAG) or Support they have to be proven to be unwell. Most GP's only sign off the genuinely sick, and then a person still has to got to a WCA.
    I think the problem is that WCA has shown that people are genuinely ill, it isn't even about the money, it is showing that a person is not fit too work and to protect them from the DWP and sanctions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, understandable.

I suppose it's due to rent going through the roof in England.

When i left the army i worked away from home (the things you have to do to find work eh), until last year actually, i rented rooms in houses - paid up to £450 a month just to sleep and live in small bedrooms - horrible!

i don`t think it is as i only moved literally two minutes round the corner. five at best.

rents in cambridge are ridiculous.

i know, i had to work two [three if you count the sometimes weekend agency waitressing] jobs for a long time while bringing up four kids on my own, i was gone from 8am until 9-10pm, it was a massive mistake in retrospect for many reasons but mostly for my children because they only had me. if i had my time again i wouldn`t do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don`t think it is as i only moved literally two minutes round the corner. five at best.

rents in cambridge are ridiculous.

i know, i had to work two [three if you count the sometimes weekend agency waitressing] jobs for a long time while bringing up four kids on my own, i was gone from 8am until 9-10pm, it was a massive mistake in retrospect for many reasons but mostly for my children because they only had me. if i had my time again i wouldn`t do it.

True about Cambridge. But what a beautiful place!

But yes, it's because of increased rents. If you lived at your old place for well, however long, they possibly wouldn't have put the rent up so much. Go and look at the rent there now - i'll bet it is much higher.

Then, when you move in to a new place, that's the chance for the landlord to hike the rents.
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ASSUME IT`S BECAUSE OF THE ASSOCIATED EXPENSES [sorry, accidental cappage] of being sick like transport to appointments and various other care needs.

Also heating which maybe essential for some. Running a car because they can't get around any other way or don't have frequent buses around. And if they are on WRAG they will need to get to DWP appointments too. The extra £30 doesn't mean they eat much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True about Cambridge. But what a beautiful place!

But yes, it's because of increased rents. If you lived at your old place for well, however long, they possibly wouldn't have put the rent up so much. Go and look at the rent there now - i'll bet it is much higher.

Then, when you move in to a new place, that's the chance for the landlord to hike the rents.

i don`t know what the rents are now, but it won`t be higher our rents go up by a percentage across the board, it`s a council property.

cambridge is horrid, a lot of locals avoid the centre and go elsewhere, it`s more for tourists than residents, it used to be lovely. and now they`re raping the architecture via brown envelopes to boot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don`t know what the rents are now, but it won`t be higher our rents go up by a percentage across the board, it`s a council property.

cambridge is horrid, a lot of locals avoid the centre and go elsewhere, it`s more for tourists than residents, it used to be lovely. and now they`re raping the architecture via brown envelopes to boot.

Brown envelopes?

Of course, i was just an occasional tourist - i lived in Brampton for a few years recently - very nice indeed! :)

So how come the council are charging more for a smaller property?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brown envelopes?

Of course, i was just an occasional tourist - i lived in Brampton for a few years recently - very nice indeed! :)

So how come the council are charging more for a smaller property?

they`ve been ripping down beautiful old buildings to build shite like this:

http://li.zoocdn.com/6aafb90d70ce4be1fa9a395225528315b7dcfffc_645_430.jpg

and worse. we`ve got a labour council again now in the city so hopefully it will stop.

brampton`s nice.

i don`t know why my rent is higher, it`s a newer property by about 30 years, perhaps it`s that. my friend has moved two villages down, they have more facilities there i don`t know if that`s why, same council.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    'Housing benefit currently covers the full cost of rent.'

My housing benefit doesn't cover the full cost of my rent...
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    My housing benefit doesn't cover the full cost of my rent...

Indeed.

When I was on benefits housing benefit never covered the full cost of the rent.

I know from others that the allowance has recently been lowered as well, so if I was still on benefits they'd be paying even less (somewhere in the region of £200 a month).

My rent is £575 a month.

AND benefit claimants on ESA WRAG are already expected to pay something towards council tax (about 10%). Only support group claimants are entitled to complete reduction - although this is a local policy, it varies from area to area.

The whole thing is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The full cost of my rent is covered, it's just under a hundred quid a week. I pay £14 a month council tax. Currently in Support Group.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so can someone tell me what ESA is and how it differs from JSA?
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »

JSA is for people who can work. ESA is for people who can't. ESA has two subgroups: Work Related Activity Group for those who may be capable of moving into some sort of work with support via interviews and training, and the Support Group for people who can't work at all and are too unwell to attend interviews.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »

ESA replaced incapacity benefit