Options

man with learning disability banned from legoland unless he has a child with him

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell, this policy doesn't appear to apply at legoland Windsor
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not like they need to protect children there because the children are only allowed in with a responsible adult anyway. This means lego land isn't 'in loco parentis' so doesn't have a duty to protect children from adults on behalf of parents. This is very narrow minded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My eighteen year old neice and her boyfriend would love to go there for a day out Complete lego fans. But not parents!
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Well selling tickets for single adults that they know they will refuse entry is fraud to start with , secondly the policy is offensive in the very way they have implemented it and tried to deal with it , being offensive may not be illegal but hopefully, it will lose them business .

How can it be fraud when they still display their criteria for entry at the point of purchase?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a teacher I often have to visit places to carry out a pre visit risk assessment and familiarise myself with the layout of the site in advance of a school visit. I take it I'll be refused entry!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sammmymack wrote: »
    As a teacher I often have to visit places to carry out a pre visit risk assessment and familiarise myself with the layout of the site in advance of a school visit. I take it I'll be refused entry!

Surely if you rang them first to explain that this is what you are doing they would accommodate / accompany you?
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Okay, so absolutely no evidence whatsoever that would-be child molesters are taking their victims to Legoland in order to abuse them in a public place!

I don't have the figures to hand, but I would imagine that child-molesters tend NOT to take their victims to public places in order to abuse them. I would imagine they abuse the children in private, well away from any witnesses.

I think you're taking that poster's remark rather too literally.
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have kids, nor am I likely to, but I still enjoy a day out even to a place primarily aimed at kids. I love lego, and as someone else said there is a huge market aimed at adults with these expensive and complicated sets. I'd like to think I was allowed to go if I wanted to (even though hoards of kids is likely to put me off!)

It got me thinking, I've seen holidays in our local coach tour company brochure advertising trips to Legoland and other Merlin attractions... If I were to book one for us as a childless couple, at what point would we be turned away!? I've never seen any stipulation in the brochure that you have to be accompanied by a child, so I'd hate to travel all that way and find out I'd wasted my money and couldn't get in!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tess-g wrote: »
    This is a child centered, indoor play centre.

Do you have Jumping Jacks or something similar? Would you be happy with unaccompanied adults being there?

It's not an indoor centre by any definition. :confused:
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some places are created with adults in mind so children won't be admitted and some places created with children in mind so I don't have much of a problem with Legoland's policy.

I do have a problem with them not making this completely clear during booking though. Letting people buy tickets they won't stand over isn't cricket.

The fact that the guy in the OP has a learning disability is neither here nor there - he was an unaccompanied adult. Thems the rules. They just need to make the rules clearer.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Some places are created with adults in mind so children won't be admitted and some places created with children in mind so I don't have much of a problem with Legoland's policy.

:confused: What? Are you really comparing something like a nightclub to Legoland?
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not an indoor centre by any definition. :confused:
    It is. Like others you seem to be confusing the place this chap was denied entry to - Legoland Discovery Centre, Manchester with Legoland, Windsor.

From the Discovery Centre web page..

"Our indoor LEGOLAND Discovery Centre is ideal for children aged 3-10 years and all attractions inside the centre are included in the admission price."

http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.co.uk/manchester/our-attractions/attractions-overview.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    :confused: What? Are you really comparing something like a nightclub to Legoland?

Why not? Both have a demographic in mind that they wish to target. And that's up to them.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    From their website it says that adults won't be admitted unless they are accompanied by children. So, the headline of "Man with Learning Disability...................." is, of course, totally misleading and incorrect.

Their actual wording, taken directly from their website, is:

Adults must be accompanied by a child to enter

Their policy doesn't just apply to adults with learning disabilities, it applies to all adults who are not accompanied by children. Personally, I don't agree with this policy but I gather that, in this day and age, it's not uncommon in establishments which are predominantly aimed towards younger children. As a single person I consider the policy to be discrimination.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »

My problem with that, is that the policy is wrong to assume that adults wanting to go without children are a risk to accompanied children at the park. So I wont sign that, but would sign another one which challenges the entire policy about 'unaccompanied' adults.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »

I didn't mention nightclubs. :confused:

As has been mentioned there are other places - not just nightclubs - aimed at adults or couples or families e.g. holiday resorts, caravan sites, specific events...

Unfortunate for those who might like to go but don't qualify but they are perfectly entitled to create their own admission policy, within reason if course.

Edit: yes, in a nutshell, as idlewild said, demographic.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that what they are doing is legal, and for that reason I will be writing to my MP about it. At the very least, it will force a reply from legoland, to the MP, which he will then pass on to me.

Only if your MP chooses to write to Legoland, and I suspect that to do that he might require a specific illegality, not just a general "I'm not convinced its legal" (paraphrased).
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Their actual wording, taken directly from their website, is:

Adults must be accompanied by a child to enter

................ As a single person I consider the policy to be discrimination.

It is obviously discrimination. The important question is, is it unlawful discrimination?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Only if your MP chooses to write to Legoland, and I suspect that to do that he might require a specific illegality, not just a general "I'm not convinced its legal" (paraphrased).

I would imagine he will. Regardless of the legality or otherwise, the fact that it is causing irritation to customers and potential customers, will probably be sufficient to prompt him into making an enquiry as to precisely why they are doing it, and to expect a coherent explanation in writing.

Hopefully one that comes clean in them suspecting lone adult male visitors of being potential predatory paedophiles.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Funny thing is the adult only hotels have been brought up and he and other people with mental ages of children could go to places like that.

As many of you know both my brothers are mentally and physically disabled one has the mental age of a 7-8 year old the other 2-3 year old I could take them to places that but the thing the other guests want to get away from is what they would be doing especially the youngest he would be playing with hips toys by the pool or whatever he would be screaming an shouting like a 2-3 year old.

I'm not saying they should be banned form places like that and don't think they ever should be but it would be interesting to see what would happen with the other guests.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    This is a pretty common policy. I know the Gullivers Theme Parks deny access to unaccompanied adults.

What they should do is have a meeting place at the gate where hassled parents can match their kids up with childless people who want to go in, so mum and dad can go and have a coffee somewhere and some peace and quiet instead. I'd be all for it. Here take mine. :D

That's a good idea. Singletons can hire a child and have full access to the park. I wonder if anyone would notice if we substituted dwarfs for children? Get yourself to the Dragons!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Why not? Both have a demographic in mind that they wish to target. And that's up to them.

They still have to adhere to anti discriminatory laws. Otherwise where will it lead!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tess-g wrote: »
    It is. Like others you seem to be confusing the place this chap was denied entry to - Legoland Discovery Centre, Manchester with Legoland, Windsor.

From the Discovery Centre web page..
    "Our indoor LEGOLAND Discovery Centre is ideal for children aged 3-10 years and all attractions inside the centre are included in the admission price."

http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.co.uk/manchester/our-attractions/attractions-overview.aspx
    Ah fair enough. :)
    It does state clearly on the booking page that adults have to have a child with them. When that was put in place I obviously don't know. In that case they shouldn't have allowed him to buy a pass. Maybe their ticket booking isn't defined enough and they need to split it up more. Then if someone was booking an adult ticket only the site would flag it up that they couldn't do so without booking a child one.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Is there a maximum number of adults per child could one couple take just one child or would they need one each?

Could the Grandparents tag along as long as there was one child?

Could a coach party go as long as there was one child in the group?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    I didn't mention nightclubs. :confused:

Do you not understand what the words "Something like" means?