Options

Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A basic problem that AW never seems to address, is that we continue to get outmuscled in midfield

He keeps signing physically small/light players. Yes, when on form, they can outpass the oppostion and look good. But when they're not, as Ramsey and Cazorla have been most of the season, other teams just bully their way through

We need some engine room steel, enforcers. minders, whatever they're called, Viera and Petit were the heart of that great team, with the flair players player off of them. Song was good for a while as well.

Arteta and Flamini put their foot in, but once again, they are physically small.

If all the Prem teams had a tug of war contest using their regular players, we would come last by some distance. We need to beef up

I think that's true, and don't forget with Viera and Petit you had two players who had that rare mix of power and amazing technical ability. Not easy to find though, Patrick Viera was one of the best midfield players I've ever seen.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member

Yep, the old judge me in May routine - problem is dear Arsene, we've been there before many many times.

I said the fans booing him at the station would have no effect and he's said as much. He just shrugs it off.

This quote really gets me - yes Arsene, but we didn't score 4 or 5 did we, that's the whole buggering point.

"We showed a lack of experience defensively but we could have scored four or five."
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    I said the fans booing him at the station would have no effect and he's said as much. He just shrugs it off.

I wouldn't be too sure, he's far too thin skinned to deal with it that easily. I know we might not agree on this but his ego simply isn't going to stand sustained abuse from the fans. If performances don't improve (and there's no sign of that) it will only get worse and I'm confident he'll walk before the end of the season ... accompanied by plenty of comments about how ungrateful the fans were after all he had done for them.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    satellite wrote: »
    Yep, the old judge me in May routine - problem is dear Arsene, we've been there before many many times.

Exactly. He really knows how to play the media. They're the only ones that can highlight these issues as the moment fans show their discontent with banners and abuse they're ignored.
    "We showed a lack of experience defensively but we could have scored four or five."

Lack of experience? It was Per Mertesacker who let the team down defensively. If Wenger went back through the tapes he'd see this rather than take the easy option and blame the youngsters.

Also who's fault is it we're in this position? He sold Vermaelen without a replacement and sent Jenkinson on loan who's been our best defender this season! Obviously he can point to the injuries but surely you should plan for injuries with adequate back ups like every other realistic title challenging team has rather than gamble on no injuries knowing Koscielny has tendonitis and Debuchy played every minute for France in the WC including friendlies and Euro qualifiers afterwards.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debuchy is back tonight, so some good news at least CC will get a rest.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’m tired of hearing about “individual results”. One of the reasons I’m so frustrated with Wenger is because of comments like that. It’s not about an individual performance it about a whole series of them for about 7 years with no sign of improvement! Just as he’s asked us to judge him May for the same time period.

He’s just putting his fingers in his ears going “nah, nah, na, nah nah, can’t hear you”. We have problems at the club that are nothing to do with the funds or the personnel we have there. The fact we still cannot defend a set piece or even set a defence up after years of the same problems means the buck stops elsewhere.

Wenger likes to dismiss things like this as “one-offs”, he needs to be pressed by the media on this and questioned on the same repeated failures, season in season out. He gets away with this far too easily for my liking.

I can’t believe that Steve Bould isn’t fuming at the state of our defence yet he seems to have no influence at all. Certainly don’t see him on the touchline during matches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sotek wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too sure, he's far too thin skinned to deal with it that easily. I know we might not agree on this but his ego simply isn't going to stand sustained abuse from the fans. If performances don't improve (and there's no sign of that) it will only get worse and I'm confident he'll walk before the end of the season ... accompanied by plenty of comments about how ungrateful the fans were after all he had done for them.

I do hope you're right - but I think it'll have the opposite effect, as we all know his ego knows no bounds and he generally thinks of the supporters as idiots.

I think the old pattern will just continue, we'll lose some more, the fans will be up in arms, he'll weather the storm, then out of nowhere we'll go on a winning streak, 4th place etc and all will be forgotten until next season - rinse & repeat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Debuchy is back tonight, so some good news at least CC will get a rest.

No he won't. Wenger's confirmed Chambers will be in the middle with BFG. The only reason I can think of is because we're down to the barebones at the back especially at CB and LB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    I’m tired of hearing about “individual results”. One of the reasons I’m so frustrated with Wenger is because of comments like that. It’s not about an individual performance it about a whole series of them for about 7 years with no sign of improvement! Just as he’s asked us to judge him May for the same time period.

Neville alluded to it last night on MNF (watch the clip I posted last page). More and more pundits are starting to realise. Just need them to hammer it home more often Merson-style :D
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Arsene "Groundhog" Wenger gets off so easily in the media. If any other figure in public life kept on repeating the same rubbish - word for word - year in year out, they'd be a figure of derision. I wish Spitting Image was still around to have a latex Wenger drooling out "judge me in May" (etc etc etc).
    I'm out tonight for a Xmas party so will miss the game. Hope Poldi does well, that's all. I dislike Galatasaray otherwise I'd be totally indifferent to the game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Great point by Neville saying players abandon each other time and time again on the football field.

http://youtu.be/3GWqX4dgNn0
    It was painful watching that video. I don't know what happened to Mertesacker since the World Cup it's like he has been a different person.

Ok, guilty as charged!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a goal Podolski :o. Top corner :cool:
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    It's nice to be ahead after a few minutes, not behind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good finish Ramsey. 2-0
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nice to be ahead after a few minutes, not behind.

Because there's absolutely no pressure on them, they can suddenly play. It's so frustrating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow Ramsey. Thats from about 30 yards out? Hope he picks up some form now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great goal by Rambo :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If we win 6-0 and the score stays the same at Dortmund we'll finish top. Long way to go though, much easier if Dortmund lose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, what have I just seen?
    Because there's absolutely no pressure on them, they can suddenly play. It's so frustrating.
    Bingo.

Seen it all before, and if Wenger thinks this is a sign of progress and maturity then he's frankly deluded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah it was obvious this would happen. Well lets hope anderlect can do a job
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, what have I just seen?

Bingo.

Seen it all before, and if Wenger thinks this is a sign of progress and maturity then he's frankly deluded.

Don't worry - we'll be back to our useless best on the weekend no doubt!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Galatasaray really are useless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No 70th minute subs?

What a time to be alive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No 70th minute subs?

What a time to be alive.

Lol. No point keeping ur best on in a meaninglesss game. Still it is good to see this lot up for it.
This discussion has been closed.