Options

Britain's 'extinct' names - Gertrude gone, Rowland retired and Marjorie missing.

Comments

• Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    My uncle Wally says he wont be holding his breath to see any Wally's at the font.
    I think he's right.
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Ann has become very unusual.

I teach in a comprehensive school and there isn't a single Ann in the pupil population.

There are three Ann(e)s on the staff.

Surely there are girls called Anna though?
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE Roland, fantastic name - never had a son, but that would have been on the short list.

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.

Romantic with a capital R, and Rolly is accessible, I don't know why we are losing it:(

And Roland in the Stephen King Dark Tower series.

I do agree, I think it's a wonderful name. And unlike a lot of the names foisted on kids nowadays, it will suit all ages. It will become fashionable before long. Like somebody said, it's probably the Grange Hill association that has scared off the current generation of young parents.

I dislike the fashion for giving children diminutives of names instead of the proper name. Charlie, Alfie, Freddie etc. Those can always be used at nicknames, but the full name gives you a more formal style should you need it, and often offers more choice of nicknames anyway. Alfie can still be Al or Alf, but if his name is Alfred he can also choose to be Fred or Freddie.

I've got one of those "nickname" names and have never forgiven my parents for not giving me the full name. I won't say what it is, but it's the equivalent of being named Beth instead of Elizabeth and thus being denied the choice of Liz, Lizzie, Betty, Bette, Eliza, Liza etc.
  • Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Margaery coming back as an alternative spelling to Marjorie, after Game Of Thrones.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the flower names have gone. Primrose, Violet, Lily, Iris, Rose.
  • Options
    ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    I have known people with all the names in BIB
    ‘Extinct’ - (None recorded in latest birth records):
    Male - Cecil, Rowland & Willie
    Female - Bertha, Blodwen, Fanny, Gertrude, Gladys, Margery, Marjorie & Muriel

‘Endangered’ - (Have fallen in prevalence by 99 per cent since 1905):
    Male - Horace Clifford, , Harold, Leslie & Norman
    Female - Doris, Edna, Ethel, Hilda, Marion & Phyllis

‘At Risk’ - (Have fallen in prevalence by 98 per cent since 1905)
    Male - Herbert, Percy, Roland, Clarence, Cyril, Ernest Arnold, Bernard, Fred Sydney, Trevor & Walter.
    Female - Gwendoline Rhoda Eveline, Ann, Dorothy, Freda, Irene, Jane, Janet, Jennie, Lilian, Lizzie, Margaret, Mary, Maud, Mildred, Nellie, & Winifred

Booming Traditional Names - (Have risen in popularity since 1905):
    Male - Reuben, Christopher, Harry, Sam, Samuel, Louis, Evan, Owen, Louie, Michael, Benjamin, Matthew, Lewis, Jack, Alexander, Daniel, Isaac, Jacob, Charlie, Oliver
    Female - Amelia, Charlotte, Daisy, Eleanor, Eliza, Emily, Eva, Grace, Harriet, Isabel, Isabella, Leah, & Lucy

I Too have noticed a definite shortage of Fanny and Willie in these modern times. :D

Names of people in my family and ** other ** friends names that you don't hear so much any more
    Agnes Alice Barbara Bella Bridget Briony Cynthia Doris Ellen Hannah Hillary Iris Jacqueline Jeanette Joan Judith Margaret Megan Michele Norma Paula Pauline Pearl Rene Rita Sally Sharon Sheila Shirley Stephanie Trudie aka Gertrude Vera Violet Willhomena

Allister Leon Max Maurice ♥Solomon♥ Raymond Kevin Ivor Ivan Grahame Garry Geoffrey & Dick & ♥Dennis♥
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    I grew up in the 70s with Pamelas, Suzies, Deborahs, Wendys, and Janets.

My sisters are called Pamela and Wendy! They were born in the 1940s though. Don't think I've ever known another Wendy.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary - get real?
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gertrude's not Extinct with me. My dad has called everything and everyone Gertrude for donkey's years. Pets, family, all his children.

We all answer to Gert:blush:

Anything male gets called George.

My Dad used to call all my boyfriends "Herbert".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sammmymack wrote: »

My daughter is called Anna and I have a friend who named her daughter Anna too. Both Anna's are in their 40's now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    All the flower names have gone. Primrose, Violet, Lily, Iris, Rose.

Also Hyacinth and Daisy.

Edit oh and Poppy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had had a little girl I would have caller her Elsie - I had a boy so I didn't - but that is quite an old name
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    Also Hyacinth and Daisy.

Edit oh and Poppy

I think Poppy has had a resurgence. I know 2 young Poppy's . :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the Virtues, like Faith, Hope and Charity etc? I don't know any.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know a Faith but she is in her fifties.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only remembered poppy because I saw someone with the username.

Also wasn't there a member called faithy or something not so long ago?
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Sammmymack wrote: »

I went to school with an Anna (I'm 28 though, so it's not that recent).
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    Edit oh and Poppy

I mentioned earlier in this thread, I know 2 Poppy's around my age, but one of those isn't her real name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few more thoughts.

Marjorie is very pretty, I think it will soon be rediscovered and will make a comeback.

Pearl will also become more popular on the back of other jewel names like Ruby. I already know a little Pearl.

I also know a baby Percy. No doubt inspired by the Percy Jackson stories. There will be more!

Mary and Ann are still popular in a sort of undercover way, as it is the variant names that have been more fashionable in recent years. Anna, Annie (parlourmaid chic), Maria, Marianne etc.

Grace is a virtue name and has been one of the most popular names in recent years. It's also very popular as a middle name and I think you'd find Hope and Faith turn up there as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few more thoughts.

Marjorie is very pretty, I think it will soon be rediscovered and will make a comeback.

Pearl will also become more popular on the back of other jewel names like Ruby. I already know a little Pearl.

I also know a baby Percy. No doubt inspired by the Percy Jackson stories. There will be more!

Mary and Ann are still popular in a sort of undercover way, as it is the variant names that have been more fashionable in recent years. Anna, Annie (parlourmaid chic), Maria, Marianne etc.

Grace is a virtue name and has been one of the most popular names in recent years. It's also very popular as a middle name and I think you'd find Hope and Faith turn up there as well.

I missed out Grace as I know a young Grace:)

What about Lavinia?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the place to check out current baby-naming trends

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names

There are some killingly pretentious people on there, and they all loathe "chav" names with utter scorn (although they are somewhat squeamish about using the word chav).

It is interesting to see how they all tend to go for the same names. For example, WTF did "Elodie" come from? none of those mumsnetters would dream of calling their child Melody, yet it sounds almost exactly the same).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the place to check out current baby-naming trends

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names

There are some killingly pretentious people on there, and they all loathe "chav" names with utter scorn (although they are somewhat squeamish about using the word chav).

It is interesting to see how they all tend to go for the same names. For example, WTF did "Elodie" come from? none of those mumsnetters would dream of calling their child Melody, yet it sounds almost exactly the same).

Think Elodie is a French girls name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think Elodie is a French girls name.

Yes, it is, but it isn't very fashionable in France now. Friends of mine (in France) named their daughter Elodie in the 1980s, that was the first time I heard the name and I've never come across another. But all of a sudden there seem to be hundreds of little English ones.

Has the name been in a book or a film or something, and I've missed it, or is there some celeb with the name? I just wonder why people seem to have latched on to this rather obscure name all of a sudden.
  • Options
    The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got one of those "nickname" names and have never forgiven my parents for not giving me the full name. I won't say what it is, but it's the equivalent of being named Beth instead of Elizabeth and thus being denied the choice of Liz, Lizzie, Betty, Bette, Eliza, Liza etc.

Elizabeth seems to have the most nicknames that can come from one name:
    Lizzie
    Liz
    Libby
    Lily
    Elly
    Eliza
    Beth
    Betty
    Bette
    Liza

It's was one of the most common middle name of girls when I was at school, along with Louise (born early 90's)

The most common first name was probably Rebecca for a girl.
    For a boy, I think Nicholas was the most common

Not sure how these names go with very young children nowadays.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    It's was one of the most common middle name of girls when I was at school, along with Louise (born early 90's)

Yep, I (born in the mid 80s) know vast amounts of people with Louise as a middle name, including a few "Sarah Louise"s (including two people with exactly the same name, and a third who'll have that name if she takes her partner's name when she marries lol).
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    oldhag wrote: »
    Is there no mention of Cuthbert?

I'm a Bert, and we seem to be thin on the ground. I don't know why, I quite like it.