Options

Women unfit to be Police officers?

Comments

• Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Meercam wrote: »
    The number of women failing the fitness test is over SIX TIMES that of men.

And the reason for that would be........?
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Because you were baiting, and not for the first time.

A reminder for you for next time:

2.18 - Baiting
    Don't wind people up to try to get them to say something in violation of the Terms and Conditions. It's obvious to other users and to us, doesn't work (we evaluate other posts and wider context when dealing with alerts), and backfires.

I wasn't but if you took it that way im sorry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    el_bardos wrote: »
    People in glass houses...

Shouldn't' throw stones
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were 35,471 female officers out of 129,956 officers in the 43 forces of England and Wales (including central service secondments), representing 27.3% of the total.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/police-workforce-england-and-wales-31-march-2013/police-workforce-england-and-wales-31-march-2013

Hundreds of police officers in England and Wales failed a fitness test due to become mandatory later this year.
    Interim results submitted to the College of Policing from 39 forces show that 851 officers fell short of the mark - out of 30,000 tests.
    Of those who failed the test, 253 were male and 598 female.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27581533

When we apply the percentage for overall female officers (27.3%) to the number of tests (30,000) we can estimate that around 8190 WPCs took the test. Their failure rate would therefore be 7.3%.
    Using the same method male failure rate is only 1.2%.

Proof indeed that women are less suited to the demands of the modern day Police Service.

Are you feeling a bit neglected today? After a bit of attention, for a guess. Pretty sure that it's you who are doing the baiting.
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    Are you feeling a bit neglected today? After a bit of attention, for a guess. Pretty sure that it's you who are doing the baiting.

You could at least vary your insults towards people you disagree with.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=72833294&postcount=39

It's a current news story...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2640083/Hundreds-police-fail-fitness-test-thats-set-compulsory-Female-staff-unfit-male-colleagues.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/27/police-fitness-tests-hundreds-fail

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27581533

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/uk-police-fitness-test-stats-revealed/story-fni0xqlk-1226932762794

..but you obviously prefer not to discuss it as well the implications of proposals to make tests even more robust.
    Mr Winsor also recommended that from 2018 the tests should be made harder, using challenges based on the type of things an officer might face on duty, but this is being considered by the College of Policing in case it negatively affects women.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Show me where in the stories any insinuation is made about women not being suited to policing then, since that was what you apparently wanted to discuss and not the story in general or anything about more robust testing.

It was a loaded OP and you know it.

I agree and there have been valid replies already. Two from FM's who I know are former Police Officers. I don't know what else is required?

• Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    What an arsehole comment.

I knew this was one of 'those' threads as opposed to an attempt at having a decent debate.
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    What an arsehole comment.

I knew this was one of 'those' threads as opposed to an attempt at having a decent debate.

When have you or others tried?

It's far easier to cry "misogynist" than read Winsor's report or debate the ramifications of a Metropolitan Police Survey which found 32% of female officers overweight, 16% obese and 2% morbidly obese.

The projections are that this will be far worse by 2030 as the population gets fatter.

These make up PSNI tests being proposed:
    Crawling – an indicator of co-ordination and upper body strength
    Jumping – which is needed to clear obstacles and hazards and assesses explosive leg power and the ability to absorb impacts on landing
    Stair-climbing – an essential part of police duties which simulates climbing safely into a high-threshold police vehicle at speed and entering buildings through windows
    Running along a balance beam – which simulates climbing on walls and tests the ability to be calm under pressure
    Climbing over a wall – which simulates climbing over gates and through windows, and also assesses arm and leg strength and ability to absorb shocks
    Weaving in and out of cones – which simulates moving sideways and diagonally,
    simulating moving between gaps in vehicles and avoiding hazardous objects such as
    missiles
    Cone-lifting – which assesses an officer’s ability to lift and carry another person over a set distance
    body drag – which simulates dragging bodies away from circumstances of danger or those resisting arrest.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130312170833/http://review.police.uk/publications/part-2-report/report-vol-1?view=Binary
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a loaded OP and you know it.

Do you think he has a gun?
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    I used to 'walk the beat' in Walworth/ Elephant and Castle; often I did not even have a radio back in the day. It was never an issue, as walking the beat never involved anything like lifting up a van. I was slightly alarmed when I started in the police with the 10,000 times angry old men (it was not long after women were integrated into the main police service) asked me "what would you do if you were called to a pub and 30 people were beating hell out of each other?" After a few years I realized what a ridiculous, pointless question it was. We had a couple of (male) PC's who were always getting beaten up because they seemed to have an Incredible Hulk complex and were always wading into trouble. I had far more trouble from my colleagues than from walking the Aylesbury Estate alone at night.

It's a daft question because it's one of those situations that is so unlikely to happen, and it is even more unlikely that by the time the officers arrive the situation will still be ongoing. Trust me then to be the one single crewed driving past a pub as a public order incident is passed over the airwave. Cue me entering the pub and seeing almost every single table and chair upturned, glass all over the place, people screaming, crying and bleeding. I ended up surrounded by five very drunk, very angry men. Believe me, being a bloke was certainly no advantage in that situation, in fact I think that a woman would be a lot less likely to be set upon. Thankfully back up arrived quickly and I'm good at using my mouth to talk people down.

I feel that no good will ever come from a blog called the truth shall set you free. In this case, the cretinous idiot who wrote it obviously has no actual knowledge of police work whatsoever, he just doesn't like the thought of women getting out of the kitchen. I can think of no case - literally none- when I have read a news story and thought, "if only a man had been the first officer on scene!"

As for fitness tests, they really do need to be used in moderation. It would be beyond ridiculous to get rid of officers with years of training and expertise because they can't run that fast. I was so slow at running as a PC that my nickname was 'lightning'. So what? I arrested over 100 people in my first 2 years without a single complaint, including one for murder and one for aggravated burglary, arrested underground and with no radio contact. Sometimes a brain really is what you need.

Precisely. Again foot chases are quite rare occurences and often pointless ever engaging in anyway. Only last night somebody made off from me on a bicycle. What would be the point in running? Nevertheless, I did run, I didn't catch him, and I looked like a plonker.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All officers should be fit enough to do any aspects of the job.

Female officers should not get special treatment but I admire those who make an effort to learn martial arts and improve their fitness.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's far easier to cry "misogynist" than read Winsor's report or debate the ramifications of a Metropolitan Police Survey which found 32% of female officers overweight, 16% obese and 2% morbidly obese.

The projections are that this will be far worse by 2030 as the population gets fatter.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130312170833/http://review.police.uk/publications/part-2-report/report-vol-1?view=Binary

I have read through this thread and people have "tried", including myself. Disagreeing with your opinion does not denote lack of effort.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many are aware that the service allows no time for physical training (it has to be done in personal time) and that it is no obliged to provide facilities such as gyms etc?
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Women are shit at everything.

They should be banned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »

They should be banned.

i hope you are joking >:(
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Winsor has an agenda, and it is nothing to do with improving or supporting the Police.

Fitness is one aspect of the job, and relevant to the role of the Officer.

Are senior officers going to undergo these tests, and risk getting sacked?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i hope you are joking >:(

No, I'm deadly serious.

It should be obvious.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They should be banned.
    Untrue. They are good at having babies.
  • Options
    Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    I am surprised so few overall failed..of the police officers I have seen in my lifetime..well..a fair few of them get out of breath just walking up a hill. Of course maybe its just my area and they are more competent elsewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Cressida Dick ? She is the woman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Untrue. They are good at having babies.

They do make a bit of a fuss about it though.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    There are some areas of policing in which they're probably essential. Particularly with regards to sexual related crimes.

That and also a female presence can sometimes be more calming to an agitated suspect than a male one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There have been plenty of reasoned and engaged responses in this thread and you have ignored them all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    There have been plenty of reasoned and engaged responses in this thread and you have ignored them all.

I'm sure you'll agree that my responses were the most reasoned and engaged of them all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure you'll agree that my responses were the most reasoned and engaged of them all.

Of course, i totally agree that women should be banned. I am outraged they exist, OUTRAGED >:(