Options

Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Why let the facts get in the way of they`re hatred of marlon.
    I don`t like the storyline because its completely out of character for all of them. They just wouldn`t do what they`re doing. Who ever thought of this storyline doesn`t have clue what these characters are like and should leave.

Its called character development Matt35, if you keep characters in their perceived "bubble" then the show will not go anywhere at all. People would be complaining that the show has become stale. You can't have it both ways.

You need to push the boundaries for characters bringing external forces i.e custody of Leo to the forefront. Going deeper into characters instead of superficially skirting round the edges.

Also in the case of Marlon, Paddy and Rhona its really not out of character at all if you think about it logically. Ever since Rhona started dating Paddy and the birth of Leo, there has been a firestorm brewing. The parameters of Paddy's and Marlon's friendship have radically altered with the birth of Leo and Paddy's and Rhona's marriage. The rule have changed.

Paddy naturally protecting his new wife overrides his friendship with Marlon.

People maybe fed up with the storyline but there is a logic to it.

Regarding last nights episode loved the Genhil scenes immensely.

Laura Norton continues to play a blinder.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are not the only 1 but we are the vast minority on here. With most not caring about facts just hating Marlon
    I don`t like the storyline because its completely out of character for all of them. They just wouldn`t do what they`re doing. Who ever thought of this storyline doesn`t have clue what these characters are like and should leave.

Er I don't like the Moron because of the facts i've been presented with through watching the show, nothing else. And before anyone claims that the Moron's character has changed to suite the storyline, no it hasn't, he has always been a self riotious moany whiny little creep, he just manages to hide it when he's fairly happy, but make him unhappy he turns really really nasty, the person who changed their character during this storyline is Laurel who used to be a nice person but has turned into a raging harridan
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cookieshop wrote: »
    Its called character development Matt35, if you keep characters in their perceived "bubble" then the show will not go anywhere at all. People would be complaining that the show has become stale. You can't have it both ways.

You need to push the boundaries for characters bringing external forces i.e custody of Leo to the forefront. Going deeper into characters instead of superficially skirting round the edges.

Also in the case of Marlon, Paddy and Rhona its really not out of character at all if you think about it logically. Ever since Rhona started dating Paddy and the birth of Leo, there has been a firestorm brewing. The parameters of Paddy's and Marlon's friendship have radically altered with the birth of Leo and Paddy's and Rhona's marriage. The rule have changed.

Tonight will be good when nikhil buys her a electronic doll. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Er I don't like the Moron because of the facts i've been presented with through watching the show, nothing else. And before anyone claims that the Moron's character has changed to suite the storyline, no it hasn't, he has always been a self riotious moany whiny little creep, he just manages to hide it when he's fairly happy, but make him unhappy he turns really really nasty, the person who changed their character during this storyline is Laurel who used to be a nice person but has turned into a raging harridan

Or what Cookieshop said, possibly better:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Analysis of Emmerdale Characters (short Version) Sponsored by Home Farm estates Autumn Festival (cheapskates).

1) Rachel - wouldn't look more out of place in her posh flat if the Queen came to stay at the spencers.

2) Ali her Shut up prize of the week that she won yesterday has been upgraded by her nosiness and general attitude to Shut up you dozy ugly Cow of the month.

3) Jai was creepy and controlling trying to keep the keys.

4) Nikhil always thinks ahead even though the baby won't move from his cot for months after it is born, if it is born.

5) The Gormless Moron was Gormless and a Moron what a suprise.

6) Jaccuuuubbb is a brat and getting worse, leather him David.

7) Paddy - you do know there are police in New Zealand right? you do. Ok I have feeling you and Rhona will be meeting them soon.

8) Loopy Laurel is close to going on my death list

No one lese was really worth talking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale a sad tale of Evil by Kwynne.

In the beginning in a land far away (soapyorkshire it is called) and along time there was a little Village call Beckindale a town so pretty and quiet nothing bad happened in it, so quiet was it that Amos Brearley and Mr wilkes who were not at all gay were terribly scandalised one day when Edna didn't where her hat.

The exception to this over the years was Home Farm estates where for long ages Alan Turner ruled with a rod of iron and had an age old feud with the Sugden Family. After Alan turned soft and fell to earth all following owners ended up Dying horribly or suffering from madness. Frank and Chris Tate, Tom King and Wylde family all arrived in great hope and all died, went mad or ended up in prison.

After the village suffered a terrible disaster from the air and changed its name to Emmerdale, Still don't understand why that happened why change the name I mean Lockerbie never changed its name when a similar thing happened did it nevermind I digress. After this disaster terrible evil was visited in the village and its name MARLON who was everafter called the Gormless Moron.

Now everybody who ever loved the Moron or where even friendly toward him suffered endlessly and most never recovered, JAckson had his accident after meeting him, Aaron was quite a nice friendly boy until he met Marlon and look what happened to every woman he ever met they either died or fled the village gibbering wrecks after being with him, poor Donna even had to move to Kent and Rhona has run away to New Zealand, even his Brother Eli a petty criminal was driven to far worse crimes after spending time with the moron.

Poor Paddy the nice friendly Vet is now in the evil Morons sights, the moron recently has already broken up the marriage of the saintly Vicar and driven him mad and the formerly lovely Laurel who since being with him has also turned evil.

What further Evil will be visited on Paddy, what will the Moron do next who knows except it will be poorly made terrible viewing.

To Be Continued......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So from last night`s ep i assume paddy is gonna ignore marlon`s threats and go to new zealand and rhona isn`t on her way back?

I think i must be the only one who is on marlon`s side. Paddy and rhona don`t care about anyone but themselves and certanly not a court order. I`ve no idea how or when this storyline will end. i just hope its soon.

BIB Listen what ever side each person is one and it has caused a few arguments on the boards i'm sure this is something we all can agree on!

I would agree with you on that but i feel there is no other journey that they can take this storyline to! Its just gonna end pretty soon with Paddy and Marlon being the best of buddies once more and this whole thing will never be mentioned again! And the only logic to it i can see is yet again TPTB making sure that the golden couple is yet again made to look like the good guys! It isnt a fair fight for Paddy and Rhona in this whole thing! Its as if they are getting the actors in question to hold up big signs saying "I'm the good one" and "I'm the evil one" They arnt intrested in trusting the viewer to make up their own mind who to cheer for its honestly from my point of view a complete shambles in terms of the writing and the direction!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is a distinction between character development and personality transplants- it is very important to remember that

Ashley suddenly bashing his dad was not 'character development' it was a personality transplant to set up Maurel's reunion- there was no attempt to really deal with a very serious issue, we didn't see Ashley getting any help, the social workers seem to have disappeared and Sandy's fine again

Rhona and Paddy suddenly deciding to move to new Zealand is not about 'character development' - it's a very hamfisted plot contrivance to garner sympathy for Marlon- there is no attempt to say anything about the difficulties of shared parenting- if there was they wouldn't be making Rhona and Paddy the bad guys- there don't need to be any bad guys here, it's enough of a challenge when parents can't agree on what's in the child's best interests

Don't write storylines which are so obviously manipulative and expect viewers to embrace them- don't 'decide' for us who we should or shouldn't sympathise with- just concentrate on telling the story the best way you can and leave the judgements to the viewers- we will make up are own minds
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB Listen what ever side each person is one and it has caused a few arguments on the boards i'm sure this is something we all can agree on!

I would agree with you on that but i feel there is no other journey that they can take this storyline to! Its just gonna end pretty soon with Paddy and Marlon being the best of buddies once more and this whole thing will never be mentioned again! And the only logic to it i can see is yet again TPTB making sure that the golden couple is yet again made to look like the good guys! It isnt a fair fight for Paddy and Rhona in this whole thing! Its as if they are getting the actors in question to hold up big signs saying "I'm the good one" and "I'm the evil one" They arnt intrested in trusting the viewer to make up their own mind who to cheer for its honestly from my point of view a complete shambles in terms of the writing and the direction!

JR stealing my thoughts again:D
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All posts respectfully snipped (ouch!)

As for her clothes i've been saying for ages that this is the producers idea of what a person from a poor estate dress like, of course in real life even the poorest people have a few nice clothes but try telling them that.

That's a good point, it's as if they're saying "She's from a crappy council estate!!!! Oh and she's a CLEANER so doesn't have to look nice!" Prats (my dad used to have a right glamorous cleaner at his offices back in the 70's.)

Just out of interest, does anyone know anyone like Rachel in the real world? Someone who's favourite colour seems to be grey (yuck, such a non-colour IMO), whose clothes are shapeless and who wears their hair in a completely unflattering way?
    What a load of old cobblers from beginning to end. I looked up from my newspaper and saw, in full HD, on our giant telly, with my new specs, the moron with a face like a bloodhound with a hangover, wittering one minute all pity me, the next snarling that he was going to fix Paddy and Rhona.

Next he walks into Paddy's house without a by your leave, Paddy tries to be fairly nice about that, and big man Moron starts laying down the law. Paddy should have picked him up by the scruff and slung him out the door. Pearl, once again at the root of it, wagging her tongue and speaking out of turn.

I thought that I couldn't hate Maurel any more, but last night did it for me. No more Mr Blackburn, the end of my tether has been reached. Maurel are the angels of innocence and everyone else in t'village of the damned is wrong. In future I shall just read the P&P and ignore the "show" until the Chef and the Shrew are gone or they get their comeuppance.

LOVE what I've bolded :D

Totally agree with what I've underlined.

And congrats on the 1,000!
    I'm not the only one who says F*** off Marlon/Laurel every time they appear then? Good to know I'm not alone! :D Marlon and his legal research reminds me of someone I know who tried to lecture a lawyer using an entry printed from wikipedia. (True story believe it or not!) :eek:

No, you're definitely not alone! I stand stand them in scenes when they're apart - just mind, but I get through it but together? OMG it's anger inducing, nauseating and right royally p!sses me off.

LOL at the person you know :D Wiki's better than years of legal training eh? But back to ED and the kitchen scene between Marlon and Paddy talking about legal action - I've never rolled my eyes so much when Paddy said 'isn't that expensive?' (the legal stuff) and Marlon said 'NO!' Ha! The numbskull! Isn't that something that Father's For Justice are continually harping on about? The prohibitive cost of legal action for many men and the fact that father's don't get legal aid for this sort of thing? (which is disgusting when you think about it.) Who writes this tripe? OK, in THIS case the courts would do the work of getting Rhona and Leo back because she's made her self a criminal and fugitive but wait until she gets back and he tries taking her to court for proper access! Not expensive my eye. Was he supposed to have taken this injunction out for free?! Codswallop.
    tinkie wrote: »
    If Gennie was that worried why doesn't she have an elected C section?

Good and sensible point. But we all know that soap births are never normal and in ED they go that one further and give birth in graveyards etc so I fully expect Gennie to go into labour in the pub/cafe, surrounded by the villagers all watching (as there's nowt on telly) and it'll be all over in, oh about, 10 mins! :D
    So from last night`s ep i assume paddy is gonna ignore marlon`s threats and go to new zealand and rhona isn`t on her way back?

I think i must be the only one who is on marlon`s side. Paddy and rhona don`t care about anyone but themselves and certanly not a court order. I`ve no idea how or when this storyline will end. i just hope its soon.

IMO many of us know that Paddy and Rhona are in the wrong but we're just not playing because, I for one, don't believe that two professional, educated people could think for one solitary minute that they could get off with breaking a court order and fleeing to NZ never mind actually do it.

This storyline has gone beyond the realms of parody now and has sank into rank stupidity. I don't mind a touch of unrealism in soaps but this has gone too far for me now. I could have still felt engaged with it if Rhona had flown back with Leo, she got there, realised what she'd done and when Paddy rang said she was on her way back but no, they now have Paddy going to join her out there after he's been to court. I give up :rolleyes:

You make some very interesting points :)
    Analysis of Emmerdale Characters (short Version) Sponsored by Home Farm estates Autumn Festival (cheapskates).

1) Rachel - wouldn't look more out of place in her posh flat if the Queen came to stay at the spencers.

2) Ali her Shut up prize of the week that she won yesterday has been upgraded by her nosiness and general attitude to Shut up you dozy ugly Cow of the month.

3) Jai was creepy and controlling trying to keep the keys.

4) Nikhil always thinks ahead even though the baby won't move from his cot for months after it is born, if it is born.

5) The Gormless Moron was Gormless and a Moron what a suprise.

6) Jaccuuuubbb is a brat and getting worse, leather him David.

7) Paddy - you do know there are police in New Zealand right? you do. Ok I have feeling you and Rhona will be meeting them soon.

8) Loopy Laurel is close to going on my death list

No one lese was really worth talking about.

Nodding my head at all that, particularly what I've bolded.

In the beginning in a land far away (soapyorkshire it is called) and along time there was a little Village call Beckindale a town so pretty and quiet nothing bad happened in it, so quiet was it that Amos Brearley and Mr wilkes who were not at all gay were terribly scandalised one day when Edna didn't where her hat.

The exception to this over the years was Home Farm estates where for long ages Alan Turner ruled with a rod of iron and had an age old feud with the Sugden Family. After Alan turned soft and fell to earth all following owners ended up Dying horribly or suffering from madness. Frank and Chris Tate, Tom King and Wylde family all arrived in great hope and all died, went mad or ended up in prison.

After the village suffered a terrible disaster from the air and changed its name to Emmerdale, Still don't understand why that happened why change the name I mean Lockerbie never changed its name when a similar thing happened did it nevermind I digress. After this disaster terrible evil was visited in the village and its name MARLON who was everafter called the Gormless Moron.

Now everybody who ever loved the Moron or where even friendly toward him suffered endlessly and most never recovered, JAckson had his accident after meeting him, Aaron was quite a nice friendly boy until he met Marlon and look what happened to every woman he ever met they either died or fled the village gibbering wrecks after being with him, poor Donna even had to move to Kent and Rhona has run away to New Zealand, even his Brother Eli a petty criminal was driven to far worse crimes after spending time with the moron.

Poor Paddy the nice friendly Vet is now in the evil Morons sights, the moron recently has already broken up the marriage of the saintly Vicar and driven him mad and the formerly lovely Laurel who since being with him has also turned evil.

What further Evil will be visited on Paddy, what will the Moron do next who knows except it will be poorly made terrible viewing.

To Be Continued......

:D:cool:

Underlined: I fear you're right, that after a couple of weeks animosity they'll realise how much they miss each other (Paddy and Marlon), shake hands, agree to forget about it all - probably with Paddy admitting that he and Rhona were COMPLETELY in the wrong and should have done what they did (you know, just to drive it home with the viewers whose side they're supposed to be on :rolleyes:) - and like you say it'll never be mentioned again. It'll be a total waste of time. Characters shift and bend over backwards for storylines then once that storyline is over they tend to go back to how they were before. If this happens it will be shockingly bad writing. In real life these three would probably be a loggerheads for years to come, Rhona looks like she holds a grudge to me. They need to have them enemies for a while to progress the storyline FGS. Paddy and Rhona will be livid he's scuppered their plans for a new life and Marlon will be livid that Rhona took his kid to the other side of the world breaking a court order he'd had put in place to prevent that very thing - how could either of them go back to normal straight away after THAT?

Agree with what I've bolded too, we aren't being allowed to sympathise with Paddy and Rhona one iota. They might as well make it like the old films where the baddies (R&P) wore black and the goodies (the venerable M & L) wore white!

With a bit of subtlety and a less sledgehammer approach this could have been a cracking storyline and it was quite entertaining right until last week when Rhona boarded that plane - then it lost touch with reality, a problem with ED storylines, they just go too far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JR stealing my thoughts again:D

I prefer to look at it as great minds think alike! :cool::D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer to look at it as great minds think alike! :cool::D:D

Yes- that would be a slightly less paranoid take on it :D:D:D
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kwynne, I can't believe I'd forgotten the village used to be called Beckindale!! But you're right and this just shows the extent to which innocent (and absent-minded) viewers like me have been brainwashed. I loved this sad tale though and can't wait for Part 2.
    :D:D

Lotteh, I might have to remind you of a certain beloved GREY cashmere jumper belonging to a certain Lottmeister. ;):D

JR - brilliant post about them practically holding up 'good' and 'evil' signs. That's just about how much SB thinks of his viewers' intelligence, (or lack of, apparently). :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Kwynne, I can't believe I'd forgotten the village used to be called Beckindale!! But you're right and this just shows the extent to which innocent (and absent-minded) viewers like me have been brainwashed. I loved this sad tale though and can't wait for Part 2.
    :D:D

Lotteh, I might have to remind you of a certain beloved GREY cashmere jumper belonging to a certain Lottmeister. ;):D

JR - brilliant post about them practically holding up 'good' and 'evil' signs. That's just about how much SB thinks of his viewers' intelligence, (or lack of, apparently). :cool:

I never did buy the excuse Turner and his sinister "Committee" gave for renaming the village something about a disaster causing bad memories that will bring closure. in no other place on the planet have they changed the name of a disaster ridden town.

I know the real reason was that they had abandoned the Emmerdale Farm supposedly due to aviation fuel poisoning the soil (really because they couldn't film at the farm anymore. So naturally they had to be somewhere to be called Emmerdale so the show could keep its name. But surely they could have claimed that theEmmerdale Farm house had been destroyed by the crash and the Sugdens could have built a new house and then we wouldn't have needed the much inferior Butlers Farm.
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member

Blame SB!!
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member

Loopy Laurel is close to going on my death list

Close?? I am hoping that she is the one who dies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To Be Continued......

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »

Oooh, sounds quite exciting! (So why do I always end up disappointed when the eps are finally on)? :confused::D
  • Options
    dobby's bludgerdobby's bludger Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Oooh, sounds quite exciting! (So why do I always end up disappointed when the eps are finally on)? :confused::D
    so chas and cameron are now burglars
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shut up Kerreh (sorry JR), stop rubbing that pretend lump Gennie. Bloody hell, look at the size of that TV and a cleaner that looks exactly like her :eek: New Sam SL, beans or beans and sausage. I'm blind not deaf :D Poisoned dwarf can only have half an inch of coffee in case he drowns. Shut up whinging Rachel, you sound like a child, my sister has never called me baby sis, thank goodness. Are they getting my hopes up with this talk of Megan and poisoned dwarf leaving *dances a jig*, perhaps that was a little premature. All Rachel needs to do is stick her trackie bottoms in her socks and we have Aaron back. How does Priya know it's Jacob for sure, although I know in my heart he did do it. Rachel you have only lived in ED for 2 mins, you used to bus in. Jai tell Charity and get it over with, I can't take much more of this and then you will only have to pay the minimum for the baby, adequate of course but nothing for the whinger
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    • Rachel’s troubled when Jai takes a proactive approach to fatherhood

What does she want?! :mad:
  • Options
    pixiegirl123pixiegirl123 Posts: 15,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    • Rachel’s troubled when Jai takes a proactive approach to fatherhood

What does she want?! :mad:
    A doll to practice on!Fortunately, I think Nikhil knows a place you can buy them from:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A doll to practice on!Fortunately, I think Nikhil knows a place you can buy them from:D

LOL:D:D

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and Nikhil really does have good intentions:D
This discussion has been closed.