Options

Barbara Windsor is furious with SOC

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Damien_JohnsonDamien_Johnson Posts: 2,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference between Rita Simons dignified and respectful silence and Sam Womack's "shade" is quite telling.

No wonder SOC wanted to get rid. Too many egos on the production?
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Of course killing a character shoukd never be done lightly and I don't want to see everybody leave in a coffin but I can't help feeling mistakes like Kathy and Pat have made some producers gun shy.

I do rate Ronnie as a character but honestly, prison, psych unit or death are the only believable exits for her. And we kind of had both of the first in 2011. Babs beloved DTC finished Ronnie off as a viable character by making her a killer and having her plot Vincents death which actually ended up with Fatboys.

Her pendulum-characterisation between Dark and Damaged has been jarring for years, to say the least. You're right, Fatboy's death was the final straw, she's a spent character. I personally think she served her purpose when Archie died. They should've given her a 'happy' ending them and have her leave with Jack or something.
  • Options
    KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Barbara Windsor needs to disassociate herself from EastEnders and allow Sean O Connor to do his job. She was the one who wanted Peggy to die, as she had to close the door on the character and that part of herh life. Well, job done. Peggy died earlier this year and she's not been gone five minutes, we've had Barbara saying she's "up for a return" whilst criticising SOC publicly because he had the nerve to axe two of the Mitchel family.

Personally, I agree with the the decision to axe both.
    Just having familar faces on the screen isn't enough, they need to bring story, they need to have a direction. Ronnie and Roxy both have come to the end of their respective lines. Roxy's last big story was Dean and it was a great one, Rita acted her socks off. I personally felt that was the time for Roxy to bow out. As it is, we have barely seen her this year. We have seen a character who once ran the Vic, to being a bit part out on the market with Donna. She has no relationship, no real meaningul friendship and just appears randomly.

Ronnie, has it all at the moment and if this was after the baby swap, a few months after she had come out of prison and none of the Fatboy stuff had happened, she hadn't murdered Carl White etc, then I would say brilliant, nice ending for her and off she goes. The same for Jack Branning. But she has a whole cupboard of skeletons just from the past three years that are threatening to come out. And how many times can we watch Ronnie self destruct. Plus, I don't believe Sam Womack's heart is in it and at some point she was going to leave anyway.

Tough decisions have to be made sometimes. For a show to be refreshed, an overhaul needs to happen. A decade of Ronnie and Roxy on the Square is really good going, they are not the type of characters who could live in the background, growing older whilst new faces came in and it would be a disservice to them if that was all they were.

I think Babs needs to stay out of it and let the man do his job.
    And if in six months to a year in and he's not doing the business, then maybe speak up.

Nobody is bigger than the show.
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    I just don't see what impact killing them off has. Is it really going to be that engaging watching Jack Branning grieve for Ronnie? The Mitchell's aren't the close-knit unit that they used to be. Also, there isn't really a storyline to be had out of their childrens' reactions because they are still too young.

If this was happening a few years ago I think it would have big repercussions for certain characters, but I just don't see how it's going to pack a punch yet.

I think this is the biggest argument against killing off Ronnie. If it had been done two years ago on her and Charlie's wedding day (which was already a fantastic episode) then would have been an explosive exit that had great pay off.

It meant we would have had none of that mess with Vincent, Roxy could've gone through her ordeal with Dean alone, no need to bring back Jack and Charlie would still be around. It would perhaps be around now, that potentially Charlie and Roxy could be getting together which would perhaps lead to their exit on the second anniversary of Ronnie's death.

Killing her off now seems counterproductive and I'd rather they save her for another day.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,312
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    She allowed a opinion like anyone but its unprofessional and tactless, she is criticising the producer and the show regardless how its seen, she feel free to say because she no longer attached to the show.

The show catered to her whims, she decided she wanted the character yo be killed off which subsequently a lot of the budget was used to facilitate her "exit" even though she was only really a guest character these days. The budget and time involved in her exit could have been used to improve the development of characters who were still in the show.

Yes she's allowed an opinion, but she shouldn't have been so vocal about it. She's owes a lot to EastEnders and should bear it in mind before giving it bad press. :)
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iv not read the full thread but why is she getting such a hard time for having an opinion?

An opinion that has been shared on this forum by countless people?

Should we all stop commenting on EE and let the producer do his job? Makes no difference that she used to be in EE she has no influence on storylines or decisions and is just another "fan" like the rest of us
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,312
    Forum Member
    soap-lea wrote: »
    Iv not read the full thread but why is she getting such a hard time for having an opinion?

An opinion that has been shared on this forum by countless people?

Should we all stop commenting on EE and let the producer do his job? Makes no difference that she used to be in EE she has no influence on storylines or decisions and is just another "fan" like the rest of us

Because the general public don't really care about the opinions of some members on a forum, but the opinion of a former star of the show is different. Especially considering how the media can twist things and how they like to portray Babs as being the true star of the show.

In our workplace we have been made aware of how any negativity we post on social media could affect the business as a whole. It's very much frowned upon so I avoid talking about it altogether.

Babs may have left the show, but she's done very well out of it. The thing is, she's only speaking up because of how close she is to Sam and Rita. With the exception of Pat I don't ever recall her commenting on other deaths that have occurred over the years. Character deaths such as Kathy's (:D), Cindys, Tiffanys and even Lucy's probably harmed the show more than Ronnie and Roxys will. But Babs didn't speak up then :)
  • Options
    KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, Babs only speaks up when it's do with one of her mates.

And the difference is, Babs was a big EastEnders star and this type of talk to the tabloids only fuels negative press for the show. Dominic Treadwell Collins referred to Babs as "the real guvnor" and I think that has perhaps gone to her head.

It was one thing to speak up about Pat's death a year later, when we all could see what a great big error that had been. But she's publicly criticising the new Producer, a man who is trying to implement his ideas and is very much in the early days of his time as EP. ]

I think she could do with being a bit more tactful, a bit more respectful of someone trying to do their job and hold her tongue a bit. It's unprofessional to be telling tales out of school. She isn't the "guvnor" of EastEnders, she has no sway anymore and should be respectful of a show that gave her so much.

I love Babs but you never diss a past employer. And it's not like she's giving a critical view of the show's direction, she's only speaking up because Sam and Rita are her mates. And she was the same apparently when Charlie Jones played Ben, the only reason he was there as long, was because Babs spoke up up for him behind the scenes.

Well, that time is gone.
    When Ronnie and Roxy exit, then we shall see if it's been a mistake.

As it stands, it is looking like there's been a fallout between girls and SOC. But again, past Producers have made some very tough decisions, it's part and parcel of the job. I think the danger here is some actors think they are bigger than the show and that it can't possibly survive without them and when they go, it's on their say so, not the underlings like the Producers and writers.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a good thing. She thinks far too much of herself and her opinions imo. NO character should be immune for the axe.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ancalagon wrote: »
    She is entitled to her opinion, I have to laugh at all these posts of people condemning Barbara Windsor for saying something- EE was a massive part of her life for 20 years- of course she is going to have an opinion of it. She was likely asked about it anyway and her quote has been blown up out of proportion.

As for Sam thanking her on Twitter, nothing wrong with that either, she is simply saying thanks for the support- how people can see that as not having dignity is beyond me.

This. People just love to slag of babs for no reason. Anything she says gets jumped on.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    She can have an opinion but she shouldn't discuss it with the press. She is retired,an ex-employee and should show some discression. Her favouritism is blatant...did she complain when Ian's family was decimated. It seems she only speaks up when it's one of her friends IRL. That's no way to decide on who lives and who dies. DTC let her have far too much say.

No one in a job would risk it by challenging a EP. Why would she care about certain Fowlers/Beales leaving etc. She did not say they should not die or live. She said she belived it to be a mistake. It is hardly getting involved tbh.
  • Options
    LaneKentLaneKent Posts: 2,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Resting the characters isnt a bad idea, killing them is absolute MADNESS!!!
    Especially if its some ridiculous swimming pool stunt as reported.
    Eastenders is absolutely appalling at the moment and im not buying this crap about a 'transition' period. BBC need to step in before we have another Birkwood saga.

Agreed, the characters need totally resting. However I am not sure about killing both of them off - if that is to happen? I believe that Ronnie's exit has been building up since her actions led to Fatboy's murder. All her past has been raked up this year and now she is happy, the calm before the storm. I think her exit was coming regardless of who was in charge. All the new producer is responsible for is creating her exit - which he has tagged Roxy into. Sounds to me Rita Simons was told you can stay yo the end of your contract or go out with a bang at the same time as Sam Womack?

My only regret is that it is the end for Glenda - so much was teased about her character's backstory that didn't get utilised. Although Glenda's last appearance gave the character some closure.

As to the state of the show right now, I cannot comment on as I haven't watched for weeks as it has featured characters I am not interested in. I am not sure now whether to bother at all until R & R's exit.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Why hasn't Tina, Donna, Sylvie & Shakil being axed?

Dreadful characters.

Personally I like Donna. The rest can go from that list.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fan are furious..

Twitter is furious...

Babs is furious...

It's all tabloid speak for 'nothing really was said' and everyone is jumping on a non-story. Yet DS never disappoints me with their over the top analysis !
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbara is entitled to her opinion, but Sean O' Connor is entitled to do what he wants, since he is the boss. I'm disappointed with the axings, but no doubt new characters will be arriving after the axed characters have left. That is something to look forward to.:)
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    Fan are furious..

Twitter is furious...

Babs is furious...

It's all tabloid speak for 'nothing really was said' and everyone is jumping on a non-story. Yet DS never disappoints me with their over the top analysis !

All fueled by the lack of any official information at all from the BBC and SOC regarding EE, so the tabloids (and DS / Twitter) have to jump on any snippet they can and blow it up / make up rumours because the traditional sources of spoilers / news etc has dried up.

I think it's great. It's really refreshing to genuinely have no idea what might be coming up, where stories might be heading or who might be appearing/reappearing. Very annoying and frustrating for the media (and some fans), of course, but it's the BBC's prerogative to stop spoilers and leaks. The downside is that it tempts to the media to make up rubbish, speculate and take things out of context.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ronnie was already rested when she left in 2011. Her hiatus didn't do anything to revive her fortunes.

Roxy has been on permanent rest for years.

In short, there is no reason to ever bring these worn out characters back.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,923
    Forum Member
    J-B wrote: »
    She should keep her nose out, she is not bigger than the show. The fortnight she came back this year, cooked up as pure fan fiction between her and her mate Incompetent DTC, was utterly embarrassing television, had nothing to do with Eastenders, and everything to do with patting themselves on the back.

Yes, Eastenders is demonstrably shit right now. But no, Windsors opinion counts for nothing.

Well said. I am sick of BW thinking she is the voice of EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fan are furious..

Twitter is furious...

Babs is furious...

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Everyone will now be watching on New Years to see the demise after all the talk about it.

It's been a PR masterstroke from EE/BBC.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Fan are furious..

Twitter is furious...

Babs is furious...

The Sun keep reporting on the sisters exit, and seem to know for a fact that they ARE being killed off, yet also in the same paragraph state that their exit has been filmed with 'multiple' different endings, so does this mean each ending results in them dieing or that The Sun do not actually have a clue :confused:
    The 'swimming pool' keeps getting brought up alot, is the pool being used for a stunt or will they actually drown in the local council run pool? :D Considering how lacklustre the story telling is at the moment that would not surprise me.
    Though anything involving water screams 'faking their deaths' to me.

What i find most bizarre about this whole debacle, is two big characters have been axed. Along with a few others, yet Jack sodding Branning remains! wtf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't convinced they were being killed off, but Sam Womack's language would suggest Ronnie is gone for good. Maybe Roxy survives?
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    The difference between Rita Simons dignified and respectful silence and Sam Womack's "shade" is quite telling.

No wonder SOC wanted to get rid. Too many egos on the production?

What did womack say?