Options

Movies that started a trend

13»

Comments

• Options
    madeleymademadeleymade Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Star Wars also gave us the Space Opera, it was after all was the direct reason for Bond in Space in "Moonraker".

It also led to the wonderful "Battle Beyond the Stars". :D

That film is better than StarWars, because it has Sybil Danning as a space-valkyrie!
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i seem to recall the 70s disaster movies started with Earthquake. in sensurround. a wierd gimmick installed only at a few cinemas. bit like LFE on later dobly 5.1 (where its the "1").
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charriots of fire supposedly started the britfilm renaissence early 80s. goldcrest etc. putnam later went to hollywood where he didnt fit in at all ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Golan/Globus films after they took over Cannon. and the Classic cinema chain. Notably death wish 2 and loadsa similar brainless action pics which audiences didnt want to see. Cannon went bankrupt.

single exception is Runaway Train. a work of genius.
  • Options
    Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conan The Barbarian (1981?) started a trend of sword and sorcery movies in the 80s.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American Pie started off a wave of similar comedies (Road trip, Old School, Orange County etc).

Lock Stock and Two smoking Barrels started off a wave of similar cockey ganster films.

Four Weddings and a funeral started off the 'brit rom-com' wave as well.
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    The thread isn't about who did it first, it's about what started or kick-started a trend. Saying "x did it back in whenever" means very little to the thread unless it resulted in an immediate string of similar films around that period.

The problem is trends come and go (and come again) Teen comedies from the 80s died down a fair bit when the brat pack got older, but then they started coming back around 10 years later.

Same with dance movies, and now with musical type films.

So depending the age of the poster they will feel a different film started the trend and they would be both right :)
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is trends come and go (and come again) Teen comedies from the 80s died down a fair bit when the brat pack got older, but then they started coming back around 10 years later.

Same with dance movies, and now with musical type films.

So depending the age of the poster they will feel a different film started the trend and they would be both right :)

That's all very well, but some people are nominaing films which never started a trend in the first place.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngiBear wrote: »
    Forgot about American Graffiti from 1973?
    No I didn't forget about it at all, but the discussion that led from Election to the Breakfast club to Fast Times was about "the film that starts the high school comedy trend" and I really don't think of American Graffiti as a high school comedy. It's a coming of age film.

Doesn't it end with a note that a character died some years later as a drunk driver? Hardly a bundle of laughs.

Similarly for a little while I considered the 1978 Grease film as the Mitochondrial Eve, as it is both set in a High School and is funny. However I decided this sat firmly in the "Musical" genre and so set that aside too. :p

(Grease could however have started the trend of having people in American High School played by people in their mid-twenties :D)

EDIT - I would also have accepted "Porkys" however as that was also 1982, the same year as Fast Times.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That film is better than StarWars, because it has Sybil Danning as a space-valkyrie!
    See my earlier link (the first one). ;)
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Yup, and the spaceship with Boobs.

Oh no hold on, I mean the spaceship with Boobs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've sometimes wondered if v for vendetta started that silly fad of "anonymous" using those masks from the film.

these ones;
    http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/AUTOIMAGES/RU4418lg.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone know what film popularised the trend of using casual shakey cam style of filming? as seen in tv shows like "er"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just wondering if apocalypse now or the deer hunter started the trend of nam films?
    tokenting wrote: »
    Matrix aswell -- started that whole freeze frame moving around thing

yea definitely.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airport, which was followed by several major disaster movies during the '70s (then, of course, brilliantly parodied by Airplane!)
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Blade Runner - so many cheap sci-fis have tried to copy the look since.

I thought of Blade Runner. It has turned out to be a far more influential film than its original box office figures ever suggested. One of the most influential sci-fi films of all time for sure.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terminator 2 started a trend of the script serving the effects rather than the other way round.

Agreed, even though I quite like T2.