musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of my favourites from 1999 in no particular order were:

Placebo - Every You Every Me,
    Nsync - Tearin' Up My Heart,
    Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way,
    Britney Spears - (You Drive Me) Crazy,

Due to my young age this is a good reflection of myself then however within 3 years I was completely rock and alternative mainly. The pop music although I still like the songs is also perhaps driven by nostalgia as other posters have said and not a reflection of my music taste now.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alienghost wrote: »
    I like Skunk Anansie's Post Orgasmic Chill album which came out in 1999, but I didn't buy until a few years later.

I liked Hepburn's 'I Quit', but mainly because it was on the Buffy The Vampire Slayer soundtrack album. :blush: I like a lot of songs from that album actually, but Hepburn was the only one that was a hit in the UK I think.

Other than that, I liked:

Feeder - 'Yesterday Went Too Soon'
    Blondie - 'Maria'
    Lit - 'My Own Worst Enemy'
    Semisonic - 'Secret Smile'
    Divine Comedy - 'National Express'
    Blur - 'Coffee + TV'
    Supergrass - 'Moving'

I was definitely mostly into indie/rock back then, but I liked some of the pop too.

Britney Spears - 'Baby One More Time'
    Christina Aguilera - 'Genie In A Bottle'
    Ricky Martin - 'Livin' La Vida Loca'
    Jennifer Lopez - 'Waiting For Tonight'

I think my favourite track at the time was 'Drinking In L.A' by Bran Van 3000.

That is my favorite Jennifer Lopez song. The video was clever in that it was build up to New Years going into the millennium.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    That is my favorite Jennifer Lopez song. The video was clever in that it was build up to New Years going into the millennium.

I always get mixed up if that was late 99 or very early 2000
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I liked some of the pop too.

Britney Spears - 'Baby One More Time'
    Christina Aguilera - 'Genie In A Bottle'
    Ricky Martin - 'Livin' La Vida Loca'
    Jennifer Lopez - 'Waiting For Tonight'

i loved all these, my fav's of that year
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Cheers for the read Rob, what would this forum do without you lol

quiter! :D
    Also I asked about the comparison as you said it was too early to judge 2014 over 1999, really I was asking what era was better/worse the 1998-2001 time or the current time :)

oh 98-01 will i think come out on top. why? because at least in that era you had some original styles. trance, ukg, (obviously two of my favs) both were popular and typified a couple of youth movements that were going on.

i also rate the pop more highly then that of today, britney, christina, s clubs, etc and the r&b. i think there was something fresher about it back then, but its not really evolved much in recent years.

now im not saying all modern music is crap...indeed it isnt, and there are some gems, but its the lack of originality or great youth movement that has IMHO created such a dull, cynical, music scene. its like modern youth has given up to the businessmen and are letting them dictate what they should like.
    Cool read though, haven't met anyone claiming that music died in the mid 80s, that's a first

erm...i didnt... i said it started in the mid 80's and was a gradual process.

however.... many do think that.

throughout pop history there have been .... generational steps, where one fashion that typified a generation faded out (sometimes quite abruptly) in favour of a new generations new tastes. you saw examples of this in the early 60's when the beat generation took over from the rock n rollers (resulting in fights between mods and rockers), in the mid 70's when punk (and all its related sub genres) exploded onto the scene, ousting the glam rock era.

similarly in the mid 80's there was a change... away from the rock based music (in all its forms) that had dominated pop for 30 years. in came hip hop, rap, and for the kiddies pre packaged pop courtesy of S/A/W. a chart from 84 was totally different from a chart from 88... ( unlike today where a chart from 14 is almost identical to that from 11)

of course this is a general overview, and it is far more complicated then what ive outlined here.
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    '99 the year I brought my first ever single aged 8 which was on tape..The Millennium Prayer :D:D:blush:
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 8 years ago Radio 2 did a survey when they asked people to vote on what was their favourite year for music. Simon Mayo presented the show with the results, and he revealed that 1999 got the fewest votes. (In case you're curious, 1967 was the winner).

I felt that music improved in 1999 against the previous year. I have looked back at my fave songs from 1999, and a few songs I liked were

Texas:- In Our Lifetime
    Semisonic:- Secret Smile
    Bare Naked Ladies:- One Week
    S Club 7:- S Club Party
    Mercury Rev:- Goddess On a Highway
    Madness:- Love Struck
    Lauryn Hill:- Everything is Everything
    Thunderbugs:- Friends Forever
    Shed Seven:- Disco Down
    Tom Jones/ Cardigans:- Burning Down the House
    Len:- Steal My Sunshine
    Beck:- Sexx Laws
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 8 years ago Radio 2 did a survey when they asked people to vote on what was their favourite year for music. Simon Mayo presented the show with the results, and he revealed that 1999 got the fewest votes. (In case you're curious, 1967 was the winner).

I felt that music improved in 1999 against the previous year. I have looked back at my fave songs from 1999, and a few songs I liked were

Texas:- In Our Lifetime
    Semisonic:- Secret Smile
    Bare Naked Ladies:- One Week
    S Club 7:- S Club Party
    Mercury Rev:- Goddess On a Highway
    Madness:- Love Struck
    Lauryn Hill:- Everything is Everything
    Thunderbugs:- Friends Forever
    Shed Seven:- Disco Down
    Tom Jones/ Cardigans:- Burning Down the House
    Len:- Steal My Sunshine
    Beck:- Sexx Laws

Do you have a link to this survey?
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Do you have a link to this survey?

I have found a little bit of applicable info here. It then gives the rank of each year individually http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/bestyear/vote/