Options

Masterchef 2015

Comments

• Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SwanGirl wrote: »
    Aww I was sad to see Sarah go but not surprised. Had the dish been executed perfectly I think it would have been a star, it was a good idea but I think she overcomplicated it a bit too much and went into panic mode.

Sitwell was awful tonight though, his whole reaction to Sarah's dish was so childish and pathetic. It was clearly meant as a posh version of boiled egg and soldiers, if he couldn't understand that then I don't know what planet he is on. He's clearly trying to portray himself as the joker critic and failing because he really isn't funny or endearing in any way, in my opinion anyway.

I've been a bit disappointed this year though. There's no one that I am really rooting for in the final now, I will just be happy as long as Paul doesn't win as I find him a bit smarmy and arrogant at times. It could be any of them though, I just wish they'd whittled the field down to three and not left it as 5.

PS Is anyone else really, really sick of Greg Wallace? Everytime he critiques the food I just find myself thinking 'Could you do any better?'. I think it's time another professional chef was brought in, I wouldn't even mind if they got rid of Torode as well as the whole thing is feeling a bit stale at the moment.

Agree totally and there's something about Paul that rubs me the wrong way too !!

Sitwell I think is making the mistake of thinking that the show is all about him . I do like Charles Campion though, how can you not like a man who so obviously enjoys his food
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

PS Is anyone else really, really sick of Greg Wallace? Everytime he critiques the food I just find myself thinking 'Could you do any better?'. I think it's time another professional chef was brought in, I wouldn't even mind if they got rid of Torode as well as the whole thing is feeling a bit stale at the moment.

Gregg is driving me mad with his juvenile behaviour, shouting, grinning, baring his teeth and over-the-top yelling. I spend most of the time screaming and swearing at him every time I hear another "WAHAYYY!
    I see he has another programme starting soon, can we not withhold our licence fee untill he is permanently removed from our screens?>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Gregg is driving me mad with his juvenile behaviour, shouting, grinning, baring his teeth and over-the-top yelling. I spend most of the time screaming and swearing at him every time I hear another "WAHAYYY!
    I see he has another programme starting soon, can we not withhold our licence fee untill he is permanently removed from our screens?>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Yes he annoys me too, I really don't understand what his purpose is, all he seems to do is shout at people, tell them to stop stop stop and tell them how long is left, perve over the pretty females (I actually find him a bit creepy) oh and also call every male contestant "my son" (he even said it to Paul last night).
  • Options
    SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    [..]

Sitwell was awful tonight though, his whole reaction to Sarah's dish was so childish and pathetic. It was clearly meant as a posh version of boiled egg and soldiers, if he couldn't understand that then I don't know what planet he is on. He's clearly trying to portray himself as the joker critic and failing because he really isn't funny or endearing in any way, in my opinion anyway.

I've been a bit disappointed this year though. There's no one that I am really rooting for in the final now, I will just be happy as long as Paul doesn't win as I find him a bit smarmy and arrogant at times. It could be any of them though, I just wish they'd whittled the field down to three and not left it as 5.

Fully agree on Sitwell's behaviour... Disgraceful.

Paul I think is more shy and a little selfconscious than arrogant.

Oh no... I would miss Toady and Shreky soo much, much as there is fun to poke at, they are what I like about the show as well :)
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Wallace always annoyed me with the shouting but ever since his turn on Strictly I have really gone off him and now anything he does irritates me. Completely irrational I know... But there you go!!!
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    Wallace always annoyed me with the shouting but ever since his turn on Strictly I have really gone off him and now anything he does irritates me. Completely irrational I know... But there you go!!!

NO - it is not in the least irrational. He seems to have got it in his head that he is the kingpin of the show, JT does very little and just allows monstermouth dominate the proceedings.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way back when Masterchef got the reboot he was billed as an 'ingredients expert' or 'vegetable guru' which were nonsensical even then - but now he just seems to be a caricature of himself.

Actually, he irks me more being on the pro series than the civilian one.
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Phew well I am glad I am not the only one irritated then :-)
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to see Sarah go, i prefer her overall to Emma and Paul.

Pete is still by fave with Simon and Tony just behind.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's an obvious winner yet. Certainly no Dhruv.

Or Tim Anderson
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like both Gregg and John and think their chemistry adds a lot to the show.
    I liked the critics and thought their comments were very fair.
    I can't understand why some posters go out of their way to be unnecessarily nasty about the presenters and critics. Who wants a bland, nondescript programme? Might as well watch the weekend morning cookery shows if that is what is wanted :p
    I think Emma and Simon are strong contenders but no one appears to be a runaway winner. Looking forward to next week :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's an obvious winner yet. Certainly no Dhruv.

Or as he is always known in our house The Lovely Dhruv ;-)
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma should win I think.
    Pete is OK with anything Japanese & Simon if it involves chocolate.
    Take those 2 out of their comfort zone & they struggle.
  • Options
    SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just caught up on the past two weeks after my holidays.

Here's my take on the five who are left and my order if preference.

Simon - most consistent overall with fewer mistakes than the others and a great team leader in the red arrows challenge.
    Emma - very good too but flounders a bit when out of her 'spice' comfort zone. One or two mistakes but pretty consistent generally.
    Tony - a bit one dimensional and classic in his cooking style and lacking in imagination in the invention tests. One or two dodgy offerings but made up for by some outstanding dishes. Got lucky a couple of times when others have also had bad rounds and he's escaped elimination.
    Paul - overall a very good cook with some decent dishes but seems to struggle to produce a completely fault free dish.
    Peter - like Emma has a preferred style of cooking and doesn't do so well when he tries other things. Some timing issues and one or two dodgy dishes and in my opinion he's lucky to have got this far, saved only by others having a worse round.

I'd like Simon or Emma to win it but any of them could take it at the moment if they produce some outstanding dishes in the final week. None if them have really wowed me this year to be honest.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No I think he and Toad make a good double act with Toad the straight man. People take things far too seriously. It's only a cooking competition, he brings a bit of humour and helps relax the contestants.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up. Sarah's dish was a bit bonkers but I have no idea why Pete is still in the competition. He was 10 minutes late serving four plates of food and his dish looked and apparently tasted terrible. I don't see what he did right to put him ahead of Sarah.
  • Options
    GodAtumGodAtum Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very disappointed in the quality of contentants. there is no-one I would go out to eat, unlike last year when I went to eat Ping's food.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Just caught up. Sarah's dish was a bit bonkers but I have no idea why Pete is still in the competition. He was 10 minutes late serving four plates of food and his dish looked and apparently tasted terrible. I don't see what he did right to put him ahead of Sarah.

It did seem strange, a dish that late should have to be outstanding for the delay to be ignored. If they were stricter on timings then perhaps other competitors might get the message to be on time.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Simon will win

Pretty sure Paul is out next and I still think Pete might just pop ahead of Tony and be the 3rd finalist.

Sarahs food did look horrible so no surprise she went. The critics were dickholes as usually. Why do they keep bringing back peter griffin all the time?

Would you rather they brought back Kate Spicer?

I do think they should have used Jay Rayner instead of one of the male critics as he seems to be the nicest of the male critics
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GodAtum wrote: »
    I'm very disappointed in the quality of contentants. there is no-one I would go out to eat, unlike last year when I went to eat Ping's food.

My problem is that even now I can't really remember their names (and even helpful voice over lady and the plates of previous food don't help that much. Previous food seems to all fall under the heading of 'brown splat with foam or pickle').

I just know that next series, when they are striding down the street ready to critique the food of the new batch, I won't remember anything about them at all because I barely can now.
  • Options
    SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It did seem strange, a dish that late should have to be outstanding for the delay to be ignored. If they were stricter on timings then perhaps other competitors might get the message to be on time.

I agree completely.
    Neither the critics nor John and Greg liked either of their two dishes but one of their major complaints about Sarah's dish was that the salmon was undercooked.
    If she had had 10 minutes extra like Pete did ( or even 5 minutes) some of the problems with her dish may have been eliminated. Pete's dish was still not very good even with the extra time.
    The judges seem to have a soft spot for Pete for some reason and keep saving him. Overall I think Pete and Sarah were pretty even but based on that last test I think Pete should have gone instead of her.
  • Options
    SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    GodAtum wrote: »

What did you think of it?
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I think he and Toad make a good double act with Toad the straight man. People take things far too seriously. It's only a cooking competition, he brings a bit of humour and helps relax the contestants.

I like a bit of humour, that doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just don't find him funny at all, just irritating.

I think Sarah panicked and should have just asked for a few more minutes to make sure the salmon and the egg were done. Had they been cooked properly I think she might have gone through, it was a clever idea, just not executed well enough. You're right though, it seems a little unfair that Pete served up his dish late and it got terrible reviews yet he goes through. Either they should have sent Sarah through on the basis that she at least served her food up on time or they should have sent Pete home as well.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Anyone else miss the original Masterchef?

The one with Loyd Grossman - where the contestants had a budget of £30 (back then) and had to produce a 3 course dinner party for 4 in 2 hrs?

I much preferred that format, where folk produced lovely food that i actually wanted to eat, than this one where they all seem to be wannabe chefs producing wild and wacky dishes which can be pretty inedible!

I have some of the books which went along with a couple of the earlier series, and quite a few of the recipes in there are my go to dishes for a dinner party... it can be quite fun mixing and matching the various dishes to produce a unique menu - added to which the budget and time constraints made it far more realistic for home cooks to say "I can do that!" and give cooking a go.

Im another who cannot stand Gregg Wallace (really do not see what he adds to the show apart from acting as a speaking clock most of the time), like others have said after 11 years, the format is getting tired and they really could do with a change of presenter
  • Options
    andymcvandymcv Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Being a fussy eater inspired love of cooking which took local man all the way to MasterChef final

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/12900892.Being_a_fussy_eater_inspired_love_of_cooking_which_took_local_man_all_the_way_to_MasterChef_final/