2»

Comments

• Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gentleguy wrote: »
    From what I've heard he had left by the time he died

He left full time in the first year but reappeared sporadically, I remember he was in the Christmas 1987 episodes, and died in the Spring
  • Options
    emmerdaleloveremmerdalelover Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but she wasn't really part of the cast by that point not after a 3 year gap. I would love to have seen Ena return though even if it was just for a proper exit story but I guess ill health and age meant it was impossible :(

Yes, Vi faded out gradually - after declining health caused several very lengthy absences in the 1970s. I have a 1982 card from the Street's cast with messages to UK Forces in the Falkland Islands, and Violet has signed it with a message.
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Scarboro (Mark Fowler, EE) was written out of the show very early on - in April 1985. He made brief returns, in December 1985, 1986, and at Christmas in 1987. The returns were essentially a 'guest role' for only a few episodes - he wasn't a regular cast member again and didn't move back to the square but was just visiting (or his parents visited him in Southend), but there was an expectation he would continue to visit at least. Scarboro died 27 April 1988.

Myra de Groot (Eileen Clark in Neighbours) was a recurring guest (Des's mum who sometimes had extended visits) who was away from the role when the actor suddenly died (at age 50) in April 1988. They didn't have to scramble to change scripts as she was not working on the show at the time, but there was no reason to think she wasn't going to show up again. I can't recall if they ever explained why Eileen wasn't visiting any more.

Seniors on US soaps have died while still in the role. Macdonald Carey and Frances Reid, longstanding originals on Days of Our Lives, both died while their characters were still alive on the show (though no longer central cast members). I think it was handled similarly to Betty on Coronation Street. After some months, when the actor's family felt the time was right and it was a good place in the storyline, it was explained on screen that the character had died and a funeral took place.

Darlene Conley (Sally Spectra on The Bold and the Beautiful) died in January 2007. According to wikipedia, the show kept her character alive, explaining that Sally is on permanent holiday in St Tropez.

Australian actor Mark Priestley committed suicide in 2008 while still current in a lead regular role on medical drama All Saints. In 1981 on Australian soap/police drama Cop Shop, actor Bill Stalker was killed in a motorcycle accident while still in the role. He had resigned and had one week of taping left to do when he was killed, although his final scenes where he gets married had been taped in the days before he died so were still used on the show for the character's farewell.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going across the water, I think Joan O'Hara (Eunice) was still part of the Fair City cast when she died in 2007 albeit off screen at the time of her death.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'd left already, though

kind of yes, he had a stroke and never really got better, he did appear a few times after but then I believe had another stroke so they sent him off to the nursing home onscreen. sadly he never fully recovered.

If its true that Nick will die soon then I hope he remains alive on screen for a while.

I found Clive Hornby's passing really sad, like anne he took a short break and sadly died from cancer.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy who played Stan in Corrie died off screeen and Hilda had to act out a phone call on screen hearing the news he was dead
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy who played Stan in Corrie died off screeen and Hilda had to act out a phone call on screen hearing the news he was dead

they did similar for seth in Emmerdale, he was supposedly coming back from visiting Kathy in Aus and I am sure she called betty to say he had passed away or someone did
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irish actress Anna Manahan who was in 'Fair City' also died when she was still in the role of Ursula Cruise, as was Eileen Colgan when she passed away last year after a spending a few years in the role of Esther Roche.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    they did similar for seth in Emmerdale, he was supposedly coming back from visiting Kathy in Aus and I am sure she called betty to say he had passed away or someone did

I dont remember that although I do remember him sending Betty a video tape of him from Aus while he was alive I think this is when the actor had stopped filming and did it before he went. These actor deaths are so sad still cant believe Anne has died
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt the Actor who played Kats Uncle (the one who raped her) die while still in the show?
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irish actress Anna Manahan who was in 'Fair City' also died when she was still in the role of Ursula Cruise, as was Eileen Colgan when she passed away last year after a spending a few years in the role of Esther Roche.

Was Joan (Eunice) still a cast member when she died?

I can remember the episode where her death happened in the show because you knew it was coming as they kept zooming in on her picture til Christy got the phone call at the end.
  • Options
    mrhahawiffymrhahawiffy Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Larry Hagman died during the recording of season 2 of new Dallas.
  • Options
    SOAPYFANSOAPYFAN Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noele Gordon was going to return to the updated Crossroads Motel in 1985 but sadly died beforehand!
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didnt the Actor who played Kats Uncle (the one who raped her) die while still in the show?

Michael Elphick, who played Harry, died some time after he left the show, maybe a year or so. I think the character was killed off, not on-screen but his death mentioned, before the actor died.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double post
  • Options
    IndegIndeg Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill Owen died mid-series on Last of the Summer Wine, with his death written into the show beautifully.

And Pete Duel famously died in the middle of production on Alias Smith and Jones in 1971 - ABC insisted that the show must go on and the part was re-cast over the weekend, scenes for the episode already in production were re-mounted, and that was that: a new Hannibal Heyes, mid-season.
  • Options
    Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandy (roger tounge) died why still in crossroads, in the archers mary wimbush who played julie pargeter died a few minites aftrer recording that days recordings. a few archers cast have died why still in the show.
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Bryan Mosley, who played Alf Roberts in Corrie, sadly died only a few weeks after his character did on 1st January, 1999.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Michael Elphick, who played Harry, died some time after he left the show, maybe a year or so. I think the character was killed off, not on-screen but his death mentioned, before the actor died.

Your right the character left the show and was later killed off off-screen before the actor died. Harry left the show in October 2001 and died off-screen in February 2002 the actor Michael Elphick then died in real life in September 2002.