Options

Disabled DS Members - what's your disability?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member
    fingers??

No. Your posts.

Not funny... not funny... at all.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tribade wrote: »
    No. Your posts.

Not funny... not funny... at all.

neither are yours??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neither are yours??

Tis a thread about peoples disabilities. You know real ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know real ones very, very well. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's get back on track.

Apologies for engaging in that.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come one you two, humour's a great leveller sometimes but occasionally it can be so close to the knuckle that it's perceived as offensive.

As a disabled person I've appreciated the levity.

WE (disabled people) are simply describing our impairments, it's not a forum for 'woa is me' just a chance to share.

Non-disabled people need not feel umbrage on my personal behalf as it's not a disability equality/rights issue, more about living our lives day to day.
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been pushed down stairs, attacked from behind, sworn at and so on all because other people thought I was being totally rude and obnoxious by not replying to them as I am profoundly Deaf - especially if they talk to my back where I don't have any lipreading eyes. I call Deafness an "invisible" disability as it's not obvious to people who don't know me and get puzzled or agressive at my non-response.

I have various other disabilities but don't think I should discuss them on an open forum but do totally admire all those here who have been so open and confident about theirs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if I annoyed anyone, I have a pretty morbid sense of humour. I have the advantage at least I guess that my illnesses are, in theory, curable, but it is just so damn tedious.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if I annoyed anyone, I have a pretty morbid sense of humour. I have the advantage at least I guess that my illnesses are, in theory, curable, but it is just so damn tedious.

You didn't, no probs :)
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My full and official diagnosis is Bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive symptoms and behavior* and anxiety issues. This psychiatrist also said that technically I fulfill all of the criteria for Schizoaffective disorder too; but they don't like actually diagnosing you with that. I have also been diagnosed by another doctor as having Borderline Personality Disorder when I was in hospital and the first doctor, my main psych said it was easily possible.

*They stopped just short of actually diagnosing me with 'OCD' I think for fear of adding another label!

As I'm sure other mental health patients will know, this sort of thing is very common for a diagnosis to be altered or changed because nobody fits exactly into any of the boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OCD is a weird one, it's just not very 'serious' sounding. It's probably the illness out of the ones that I have that is affecting my life the most at the moment, but I wouldn't necessarily mention it because I suspect it would leave a lot of people thinking "eh?" It's a very strange illness, it's odd what the brain can make you think. I also suspect it's the illness I have that's least likely to ever go.
  • Options
    quin_the_eskimoquin_the_eskimo Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a stroke aged 17, hemiparesis (weak left leg, no use of left arm) also very poor sight due to congenital cataracts.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Come one you two, humour's a great leveller sometimes but occasionally it can be so close to the knuckle that it's perceived as offensive.

As a disabled person I've appreciated the levity.

WE (disabled people) are simply describing our impairments, it's not a forum for 'woa is me' just a chance to share.

Non-disabled people need not feel umbrage on my personal behalf as it's not a disability equality/rights issue, more about living our lives day to day.

What a great post, over the years I have been told things like "But you don't look sick" by numerous people & have been accused of being drunk whilst walking, as I am unable to walk in a straight line. There are many disabities which people have mentioned on here that are not visible.

Sadly there are many people who assume that just because a person isn't walking on crutches, isn't wheelchair bound or using a white cane, that they are not disabled. When are these people going to learn that not all disabities are visable ?:(
  • Options
    mulderscullymulderscully Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I have Kyphosis (outward curvature of the spine) lower back curving inwards, knee keeps dislocating, heart murmer and palpitations, rheumatoid arthritis, very bad migraines. I do use a stick when I can but my hands get very sore so I can't use it all the time, I get some very strange looks sometimes when I stagger about. I have quite a big hump due to the kyphosis and get very embarressed by it, I also have long scars on my leg and knee which look horrible and I hate wearing skirts in the summer cos of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, that sounds the kind of thing I do. :) I try very hard to memorise appearences when I am in a new group and have learned gradually not to rely on clothes because, you know what? Next time you see the bastard they are wearing something different! It takes me MUCH longer than most people to be confident of recognising someone, but eventually it just clicks and I know them like a normal person does.

Films are ludicrously hopeless. With fewer visual clues than in real life I am totally incapable of telling one person from another, unless the main characters are something like a dinosaur and a mouse.

You know, I never knew this was an actual condition but from your description I'm pretty sure that I have it too. It's very infuriating!
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I have no specific conditon as such, but I do have (in the words of my doctor) a chronic respiratory condition.

I was born 10 weeks premature, wighing 2 pounds 10 ounces and was put on a ventilator, I then got an infection which caused my larynx to stick together, leaving me with a very narrow airway. I had a tracheostomy performed at 6 weeks old, and had this until I was 7 years old. Varous techniques were tried over the years to seperate my larynx again, but none were successful at this point.

My tracheostomy was put back in when I was 9, following me collapsing whilst out on a walk with family, as it was said that I wasn't getting enough air and this was straining my heart, and the tracheostomy remained until I was 16 years old, following pioneering laser surgery to widen my airway, which was successful (although left me with no voice for 3 months afterwards, so a second session to widen it even more was cancelled as they feared damaging my voicebox)

I am now 32, and other than a tendancy to catch more coughs and colds than most, I'm fine, although I have noticed my breathing getting worse as I have got older. I now can't walk very far without stopping for a rest, and I will never be an Olympic runner, but I do find that swimming helps my breathing (quite ironic really as that's the one thing you can't do with a tracheostomy!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Wow, what a great response this thread has had.
    Although, I did have to look up some words, as I'd never heard of them!

Last Friday I nearly got tipped on the floor by someone "helpfully" trying to push me up a portable ramp. Thankfully, I didn't end up on the floor, requiring two people to lift me back in my chair.
    Ah, the joys of being totally reliant on a wheelchair. :)

I wonder - how do you feel about being asked what your disability is?
    If it's someone I'm at least a little friendly with, then I don't mind. Complete strangers - yes.
    One time I had some stranger deliver a parcel. Pretty much as soon as I opened the door, he motioned with a flourish of his hand over his body, and said "what happened?".
    I should have told him it was none of his business, because I thought he had a cheek, but I was too polite and told him I was paralysed. *sigh*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a 4yr old son who has Down syndrome. I am really keen for him to develop a sense of humour and to not take his disability or comments said about it too seriously. I think it is possible to joke about disabilities without causing outrage. Two polar opposites for me recently is Frankie Boyles (does it badly) and Adam Hills (does it well).
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Yep I'm inactive most of the time and cant get out much

Sorry, that made me laugh a bit, when i read this and then looked under the username!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=45018301&postcount=5
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another dyspraxic here. I tend to be rather clumsy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    Turquoise is so young but every time I read his posts he gives me summat new. If he was my son, I can't tell you how proud I'd be.

Certain aspects of being your Son would take some getting used to. The resultant penis, for instance. :p

And agewise... I'm well on my way to just being another opinionated eejit. A 14 year old talking about politics seemed to impress people, but I'm 17 now. Doubt it works any more.:(:p

But (what I really, really should have said first)- thankyou.:)
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Franglais wrote: »
    I have been pushed down stairs, attacked from behind, sworn at and so on all because other people thought I was being totally rude and obnoxious by not replying to them as I am profoundly Deaf - especially if they talk to my back where I don't have any lipreading eyes. I call Deafness an "invisible" disability as it's not obvious to people who don't know me and get puzzled or agressive at my non-response.

Even if you were ignoring them, what a way to react. Bloody idiots.
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None. Deaf in one ear completely, but apart from not hearing music in stereo & people thinking I ignore them when they say good morning at work (busy loud supermarket) I get by fine.
    My son has Bilateral sensorinural high frequency hearing loss & wears hearing aids, so probably a family thing, even though I had a head scan when he was diagnosed 14 yrs ago, & they cant find anything obvious wrong. He gets by ok too though & it wont affect him in the future, work wise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I'm dyspraxic but not sure I'd call it a disability more of a learning difficulty.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    melvin1990 wrote: »
    I'm dyspraxic but not sure I'd call it a disability more of a learning difficulty.

I somewhat agree.. I dunno whether dyspraxia and dyslexia are 'disabilities' so to speak.

I suppose they are disabling, but I know literally so many people diagnosed with dyslexia or dyspraxia and most of their problems were in childhood and now 'grown out of' in some way.

This is a genuine question and not me trying to be facetious, but where is the difference between someone who simply isn't very good at spelling or reading and someone who is dyslexic? What's the difference between dyspraxia and someone who is naturally a bit clumsy. I'm clumsy and someone has even told me before (albeit a bit jokingly) that I may have dyspraxia.

It seems a funny one to me.. although I believe we call such things learning difficulties as opposed to 'learning disabilities' such as in America? LD's meaning something more severe over here