Options

Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I have a feeling that the 12 days thing which will end on the 24th will follow with the single audio on Youtube on Christmas Day? The video can then follow the first week of January or something. It would be a nice surprise for the fans I think.
  • Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would tie in with the early break and mystery video but I'd hope they'd take longer on the vid. Although Move was edited in 2 weeks. I'll see it when I see it.
  • Options
    Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How AMAZING would it be if the final day of the countdown was the SINGLE!

Id actually give major props for doing it that way haha :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *ends with a Mixers Magnet contest*

Tamera Foster is unlocking music on Xmas.
  • Options
    old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the 12 things were guaranteed to be actual music, I'd be into it. But I'm going to take a wild guess that it'll be t-shirt giveaways, postcards/Xmas cards, a couple of never-before-seen-photos (!!!!so exciting!!!! I can't wait), some non-conclusive studio footage and then somewhere towards the end will be the actual Christmas cover song.

I will heartily welcome being wrong. I just find all of this chain-yanking irritating rather than a sound promotional strategy if that's what they're trying to do.
    I'm going to hazard that you're close to the mark....
    What I find annoying, now, is that they still seem to be pandering to their "kiddie audience".... a silly childish video to my mind..... (grumble -grumble - sigh - Oh well.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old mixer wrote: »
    I'm going to hazard that you're close to the mark....
    What I find annoying, now, is that they still seem to be pandering to their "kiddie audience".... a silly childish video to my mind..... (grumble -grumble - sigh - Oh well.)

If you think that, maybe there's some substance fo the dissatisfaction with management? ;-)

We havent seen what the 12 days is yet, so I'll wait to see.
  • Options
    Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perrie is still in the UK
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always been happy Little Mix is all about the music.

At the start I was worried they'd be excessively branded like the Spice Girls, but they'e managed to make their brand about their music output and performances. They can port that to whoever they sign with.

Pity it isn't a little bit better then? No killer singles since 'Wings'?

A lot is made of LM's ability to sing, harmonise, dance and write a bit but so far little killer product. That's what will make the difference.
  • Options
    felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    True ^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

A lot is made of LM's ability to sing, harmonise, dance and write a bit but so far little killer product. That's what will make the difference.

I would rather have them with middling hits (so far) AND a good album to back it up with, than be one hit wonders. There are lots of artists out there with bigger hits (sometimes written by others too) that dont have a body of work to support it. I feel like LM have at least been building credibility.

Move has done comparably to Wings in the UK commercially, so it can be lumped in the "killer singles" category in this discussion.
  • Options
    Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would rather have them with middling hits (so far) AND a good album to back it up with, than be one hit wonders. There are lots of artists out there with bigger hits (sometimes written by others too) that dont have a body of work to support it. I feel like LM have at least been building credibility.

Move has done comparably to Wings in the UK commercially, so it can be lumped in the "killer singles" category in this discussion.

For sure, in the UK, Move is DEFINITELY up there with Wings.

A lot of my friends + fam don't rate Wings but love Move.

Move (in the UK) was the song that captured an older crowd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, and now that they have the attention of the "older" crowd (I must be ancient!) it behooves LM to retain them by going ahead musically. My worst fear is the label gets cold feet and bombs them back to something safe. LM dont do safe a lot of times since their formation. The name "The Risk" would have been better applied to Little Mix.

A little off topic, but with all the spec about label satisfaction, I expect LM if they are worth anything more than talent show fodder to move labels at some point. Most if not all of music acts that we consider successful and with some longevity have in their careers. They just outgrew them. We dont stay with our first employer either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was on a flight yesterday? :confused:

@LittleMix · 2h
    Harvey's Mummy's little helper tonight! so cute lol x leigh http://instagram.com/p/wkAnWUOGa7/

Edit: I am very slow today. Maybe they were pretending about a video too. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe it was jesy trying not to ruin the surprise and stealing leighs identity haha
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hey Move is the killer single and blows Wings out of the water. :D

But I agree that they need to produce hits.
    If the girls wanna be winning Grammys than they need the hits, major ones. Just look at this year Grammys nominations. 95% of songs/albums nominated were hits with the public in 2014.

Also if they produce hits it will be put them on the map.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realize I didn't miss a thing in mixer world. Aside the usual. But I hope this week we get christmas cover.

I think what mvg ment is although "move" did well enough the UK; it didn't go nowhere outside it. For example, "wings" faired much better in australia/Japan and heck even usa.

They need another "wings" type where it can preform well outside UK. If they want to continue outside the UK/ireland that is.

While I take what Simon says with a gain of salt... Him tweeting "they are getting better" may also mean what he has heard as been more commercial. Even though he only knows the first single, he liked it because he knew it'd do well enough outside the UK.

Yes of course it didn't do like "bleeding love", but it did still....

m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The point was if you are going to take the line that LM are all about the music, then LM need successful hits and/or a regular live touring schedule not just tv shows.

Do LM have sufficient credibility/creative input to talk about a 'body of work'?
    Chem wrote: »
    Hey Move is the killer single and blows Wings out of the water. :D

But I agree that they need to produce hits.
    If the girls wanna be winning Grammys than they need the hits, major ones. Just look at this year Grammys nominations. 95% of songs/albums nominated were hits with the public in 2014.

Also if they produce hits it will be put them on the map.

'Move' is a better single, a more innovative song than 'Wings' but 'Wings' had a level of success not equalled by 'Move'. 'Salute' as first single would have worked better.

Grammys normally require success and quality. If I said LM will probably never get one, I would like to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realize I didn't miss a thing in mixer world. Aside the usual. But I hope this week we get christmas cover.

I think what mvg ment is although "move" did well enough the UK; it didn't go nowhere outside it. For example, "wings" faired much better in australia/Japan and heck even usa.

They need another "wings" type where it can preform well outside UK. If they want to continue outside the UK/ireland that is.

While I take what Simon says with a gain of salt... Him tweeting "they are getting better" may also mean what he has heard as been more commercial. Even though he only knows the first single, he liked it because he knew it'd do well enough outside the UK.

Yes of course it didn't do like "bleeding love", but it did still....

m

That would be about right. And I think it requires a bit of pop music sensibility along with the R n'B thing to make that happen. I expect a little winding in of the girl power thing next time as well.
  • Options
    ShaynaJayShaynaJay Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catching up after a few days off the forum, will skip ahead and say I like the concept of this advent calender, but I hope on top of the Christmas Cover, we get at least a couple other videos of them doing covers (would prefer original new songs, or magically a live version of they just don't know you or pretend it's okay*). I just hope it's more than one video with them singing.........and no more repeat acapellas of what we have already heard.

*A girl can dream she will finally hear one of these live lol
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Still in final weekend this thread..........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point was if you are going to take the line that LM are all about the music, then LM need successful hits and/or a regular live touring schedule not just tv shows.

Do LM have sufficient credibility/creative input to talk about a 'body of work'?

I agree. Do you know they have toured in the UK twice now on their own and are planning the third? I have also been as vocal with the rest here that they need to tour outside the UK. They did reveal in an interview in 2012 or 2013 that their team didnt think they were ready yet to tour abroad. What I was trying to say was its probably easier to tour with albums of good songs than one big hit and nothing else. After all a tour setlist is 15 songs or more. A big hit would help, sure, but how many of Haim's songs have you heard on the radio?

And yes, if their third album is as well received or better as the first two then I do think they can hold their heads up with pride. When I say they are all about the music its because they have shown they are very involved with all aspects. They arent taking cowrite credits from changing a word or two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing about the next 11 days will be reading Mina C's pithy comments. I can hear bottles breaking already.
  • Options
    DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anytime I get to see a new video with all four girls I'm happy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed if Leigh doesnt look at the camera she's just a big ball of hair.
This discussion has been closed.