Options

Pick Of The Pops Schedule Change

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,107
Forum Member
Just tuned in to Pick Of The pops which says its doing 1966 and 1976 and wondered what was going on when they played Dont Cry For Me argentina followed by Another brick in the wall! Turns out Tony is playing the top 20 of the 70's. I have a feeling the top 20 of the 80's may follow at 2pm. The listings on the R2 website still say 1966 and 1976. Anyway he is just about to start the top 10 of the 70's now.

Comments

• Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    The Radio Two website states that POTP isvcovering 1966 and 1976 this week but instead its the top 20 best sellersvfrom the 1970s. Tony also isn't reading out any texts. It makes me wonder whether this is a pre-recorded show that they keep in reserve in case he unexpectedly cannot do the show one week-and this week is one such week.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,107
    Forum Member
    I jjust started a thread on the same subject and so has someone else. I thought it might be a special edition to mark the Jubilee or something. Didnt realise it is not live. Wonder when Tony recorded this? He normally does this sort of all time hits shows on bank holidays. Odd that it is not advertised and listings are still showing 1966 and 1976.
  • Options
    wilson500wilson500 Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the webcam is normally off for recorded shows. It's showing an empty studio, so I'm thinking this is was a late change. I hope Tony is ok.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TB deserves a break-he's had No pre recorded Pick of the pops since february(and that was for the lets dance for comic relif show),He does 4 shows Every weekend plus his new bbc radio berkshire friday show,I Hope he is'nt Ill as he tweeted yesterday about saturdays pick of the pops
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He hasn't tweeted today which is does always, but did yesterday ( Friday). I guess something stopped him coming into do the live show today. Wham Last Christmas and it's flaming june..:D
  • Options
    wirelesswonderwirelesswonder Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Tony did tweet last night that todays show would feature 1966 and 1976, but there was no early morning tweet/facebook/video reminding us to tune in, so something must have prevented him broadcasting live.

I assume todays programme was some sort of generic 'storm tape' that the Beeb have on standby for such occassions.

I hope that it was nothing serious that prevented him from broadcasting today and the he and his family are all well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony did tweet last night that todays show would feature 1966 and 1976, but there was no early morning tweet/facebook/video reminding us to tune in, so something must have prevented him broadcasting live.

I assume todays programme was some sort of generic 'storm tape' that the Beeb have on standby for such occassions.

I hope that it was nothing serious that prevented him from broadcasting today and the he and his family are all well.

He is a regular tweeter and have said he would say if it's recorded shows. Obviously something did prevent him. I'm sure he will reveal if necessary. I guess this has been aired one before as Wham was cut at the end?
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone should have stepped in to cover this show. The playing of Band Aid and Wham! Christmas songs was totally unacceptable.
  • Options
    Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dale Winton could've returned as a one-off stand in unless as seems to be the case,todays change was very last minute ?

I'd have done it if producer Mr Swern had my contact details.. :cool:
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    Someone should have stepped in to cover this show. The playing of Band Aid and Wham! Christmas songs was totally unacceptable.

How so?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unforeseen circumstances I guess. Until anyone knows what happened if it's revealed. it's all speculation and maybe a private matter too.
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    How so?

Er...because it's June?
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    The 1970s chart was interesting but inconsistent.

Bohemian Rhapsody was number 8 and Imagine was number 6.

If you take into consideration ONLY the sales made during the 1970s, which is what the chart should have done, Imagine wouldn't have been anywhere near the top 20 as a majority of its sales were in 1980/1981/1998.

Bohemian Rhapsody's subsequent sales from 1991/2 weren't included; if they had been, it would have been number 1.

I hope Tony is ok.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Er...because it's June?

And today's show was obviously a filler with the best selling singles of the 70s and 80s. What would you have preferred in place of Band Aid? The wrong song?
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And today's show was obviously a filler with the best selling singles of the 70s and 80s. What would you have preferred in place of Band Aid? The wrong song?

Agreed..it was hardly 'unacceptable' ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Wham!'s "Christmas song" is Last Christmas which was a double-A side release. Tony DID NOT PLAY Last Christmas; he played the other side which was Everything She Wants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the show has been aired before.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Just a minor production point. Tone could (and should) record a standard top of the hour ident which could be played into the news. But no, there was nothing "unacceptable" about the BBC airing a stand in tape.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Just a minor production point. Tone could (and should) record a standard top of the hour ident which could be played into the news. But no, there was nothing "unacceptable" about the BBC airing a stand in tape.

I agree, its going to be interesting to see if Tony does his Sunday shows on Magic and BBC London tomorrow
    if he doesn't there must be something serious thats happened
    hope he's ok
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    The 1970s chart was interesting but inconsistent.

Bohemian Rhapsody was number 8 and Imagine was number 6.

If you take into consideration ONLY the sales made during the 1970s, which is what the chart should have done, Imagine wouldn't have been anywhere near the top 20 as a majority of its sales were in 1980/1981/1998.

Bohemian Rhapsody's subsequent sales from 1991/2 weren't included; if they had been, it would have been number 1.

I hope Tony is ok.

That would be so weird to do a chart of the 70s but include sales from outside that decade. Can anyone else confirm this possible error?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That would be so weird to do a chart of the 70s but include sales from outside that decade. Can anyone else confirm this possible error?

You can listen to the programme on the BBC2 website. If you don't want to listen to all of it, start listening from about 53 minutes in when Tony does the Top 20 countdown and you'll hear that Imagine is number 6.

Imagine got to number 6 in the British charts in 1976. It didn't top the British charts until after John Lennon was shot in December 1980.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,881
    Forum Member
    Kevin1960 wrote: »

Imagine got to number 6 in the British charts in 1976. It didn't top the British charts until after John Lennon was shot in December 1980.

Here are the TRUE top selling 20 songs of the 70's

[1] MULL OF KINTYRE/GIRLS' SCHOOL - Wings (1977) 2,050,000
    [2] RIVERS OF BABYLON/BROWN GIRL IN THE RING - Boney M (1978) 1,985,000
    [3] YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT - John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John (1978) 1,855,000
    [4] MARY'S BOY CHILD/OH MY LORD - Boney M (1978) 1,799,000
    [5] SUMMER NIGHTS - John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John (1978) 1,520,000
    [6] YMCA - Village People (1978) 1,290,000 (without the 1993 & 1999 versions)
    [7] BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY - Queen (1975) 1,190,000
    [8] BRIGHT EYES - Art Garfunkel (1979) 1,155,000
    [9] HEART OF GLASS - Blondie (1979) 1,155,000 (without the 1995 version)
    [10] DON'T GIVE UP ON US - David Soul (1977) 1,145,000
    [11] I LOVE YOU LOVE ME LOVE - Gary Glitter (1973) 1,140,000
    [12] SAVE YOUR KISSES FOR ME - Brotherhood Of Man (1976) 1,007,000
    [13] EYE LEVEL - Simon Park Orchestra (1972) 1,005,500
    [14] MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY - SLADE (1973) 999,500 (without 80s/90s/00s re-issues)
    [15] LONG HAIRED LOVER FROM LIVERPOOL - Little Jimmy Osmond (1972) 998,000
    [16] DON'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA - Julie Covington (1977) 993,000
    [17] I'D LIKE TO TEACH THE WORLD TO SING - New Seekers (1972) 990,000
    [18] TIE A YELLOW RIBBON 'ROUND THE OLE OAK TREE - Dawn (1973) 988,000
    [19] UNDER THE MOON OF LOVE - Showaddywaddy (1976) 985,000
    [20] HIT ME WITH YOUR RHYTHM STICK - Ian Dury & The Blockheads (1979) 975,000
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, its going to be interesting to see if Tony does his Sunday shows on Magic and BBC London tomorrow
    if he doesn't there must be something serious thats happened
    hope he's ok
    On twitter
    I'll be with you at 1pm tomorrow on BBC Radio 2 for Pick Of The Pops,the years are 1966 & 1976. I hope you can join me.
    So maybe something last minute?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twitter seems quite. Last post was Friday. Must be something important.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1673216
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's now tweeted that he was rushed to hospital on Friday with pneumonia. Sounds like he's on the mend so let's hope he gets well soon.

(edit: apparently it's quite common. My OH had it a couple of years ago, and when she went to the doctor it turned out the doctor had also had it!)