Options

Deal Or No Deal - Fans Noticing The Decline

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    If Channel 4 want to save this show, the advice is simple, cut it to 30 minutes, abandon the stupid fancy dress weeks, the sob stories and give the show a break for half of the year. My family have stopped watching DOND as they say it's on too much and is too boring now.
    Also I have heard rumours of Noel negotiating for a return to BBC One. If this is the case, he must realise DOND is on the way out.

I'm actually of the opinion that it is going to be coming to an end very soon indeed, maybe next summer. It will likely just suddenly pop up in the press that it's been axed, and that will be that. I've no idea if they are even bothering to take any further player applications considering the wait is about 2 years. I also think that his OTT behaviour nowadays is Noel's way of dealing with the boredom he feels with the games, most of which are no longer memorable in any way.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I'm actually of the opinion that it is going to be coming to an end very soon indeed, maybe next summer. It will likely just suddenly pop up in the press that it's been axed, and that will be that. I've no idea if they are even bothering to take any further player applications considering the wait is about 2 years. I also think that his OTT behaviour nowadays is Noel's way of dealing with the boredom he feels with the games, most of which are no longer memorable in any way.

Welll if Noel is in negotiations with the BBC, it's a sign Deal is coming to an end. You can tell he's bored with it now and wants something bigger. 7 years is a long time for a show with such a basic format.
  • Options
    bethwaddelbethwaddel Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    A few years ago you felt the contestants generally thought for themselves, and you did not mind the odd occasion when you got a conservative contestant, now it seems all the time. Either dump the show or

1) Noel should talk up the chances of winning and give a better balance, ie the mood already is negative without him adding to it.

2) Contestants should be warned that Sob stories and negative play and comments are not in spirit of game (similar to Big Brother; when lying in bed all day was banned).

3) Contestants should make own decisions; and not have family influencing decisions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welll if Noel is in negotiations with the BBC, it's a sign Deal is coming to an end. You can tell he's bored with it now and wants something bigger. 7 years is a long time for a show with such a basic format.

Historically speaking a show lasting for 7 years and over 2,000 episodes is infact quite a long time and large amount of programmes. The natural shelf life does now seem to be drawing to a conclusion, and you've got to remember that it is people such as myself, who are fans of Noel and have watched it from the start that are saying these things, not the typical haters and moaners about it just being box opening, which has always missed the point entirely. A lot of the hardcore viewers are now restless and that will always spell trouble for any show. The basic fact is also that Noel's passion is the adrenaline rush of proper live TV, which DOND is not, apart from that brief fortnight last autumn. They've got to act fast to turn it around and bring fans back on side. They must read the feedback and realise how things are being perceived. There again perhaps all those that matter already know that there is a definite end date that is being worked towards, and as ever, we the loyal viewers are the last to know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Historically speaking a show lasting for 7 years and over 2,000 episodes is infact quite a long time and large amount of programmes. The natural shelf life does now seem to be drawing to a conclusion, and you've got to remember that it is people such as myself, who are fans of Noel and have watched it from the start that are saying these things, not the typical haters and moaners about it just being box opening, which has always missed the point entirely. A lot of the hardcore viewers are now restless and that will always spell trouble for any show. The basic fact is also that Noel's passion is the adrenaline rush of proper live TV, which DOND is not, apart from that brief fortnight last autumn. They've got to act fast to turn it around and bring fans back on side. They must read the feedback and realise how things are being perceived. There again perhaps all those that matter already know that there is a definite end date that is being worked towards, and as ever, we the loyal viewers are the last to know.

I was a fan until it went to an hour and never seemed to be off the box. Noel is 63 now and I think he would be better off rounding off a very successful career with an LE show on one of the main channels, not going through the motions with a daytime show that's past its best. Deal, I think, will probably go next year as Noel is interested in going back to peak time television.
    Actually Noel's CV is very impressive: Radio 1 Saturday mornings( 1971-73), Radio 1 Breakfast Show( 1973-78), TOTP ( 1972-82), Swap Shop( 1976-82), The Time of Your Life( 1982), Late Late Breakfast Show( 1982-87), Telly Addicts( 1984-98), Noel's House Party( 1991-99), Deal or No Deal( 2005-), and countless pop specials, a few Eurovisions and adverts to add to the list.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And old question but if Deal was to finish how would they end it?

Would all the last 22 get to play "their" game?
    Would they bring back old contestants to open the boxes each day?
    Would the last 21 left just be unlucky and never get to have "their" game?

Then again maybe it may not end Channel 4 afternoon fanatics are very set in their ways I mean Countdown has survived for 30 years with barely any game changes won't Channel 4 just look for a new presenter if Noel left I cannot see them ending it to be honest.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so glad of this thread, I thought I was the only one :eek:
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian K Mc wrote: »
    I wonder how many people watch it as I do. I record it on Sky plus. Then move through the recording at x30. I am only really interested in finding out if the player got a better deal than is in the box. I suppose it means that I watch it for no more than 10 minutes a day.
    However I feel that there are too many episodes on a year. I thought the live shows were much better than the pre-recorded ones. In the 60s and 70s games shows were only on once a week for part of the year. I think that it is time for a new game show on channel 4.
    But then they have Countdown which is even older!

I am exactly the same, it takes me about 10/15 minutes to watch a full episode!
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never understood why someone takes advice from the other 21 players about what they should do. They had never met before they got to the hotel to start filming and may never seen the players again afterwards.

Their own family members in the audience DO know what they want to do with the money, and they also know what the player would regret more. They have probably known the member their whole lives if its a brother, sister, or mum or dad, and probably live together if its a husband or wife, and if its one of their children would know how important that money is to all the family!

So why take advice from 21 strangers over who you love in the audience!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a difference though with Countdown, it is not the OTT game and also a gameshow based on skill. It has regular breaks thoughout the year and the show is not too long at 45 minutes because there is always something happening in the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never understood why someone takes advice from the other 21 players about what they should do. They had never met before they got to the hotel to start filming and may never seen the players again afterwards.

Their own family members in the audience DO know what they want to do with the money, and they also know what the player would regret more. They have probably known the member their whole lives if its a brother, sister, or mum or dad, and probably live together if its a husband or wife, and if its one of their children would know how important that money is to all the family!

You are absolutely correct. I think I wrote something almost identical to you on this thread previously. I simply couldn't give two hoots what those on the edge thought if it was my game. I can see the board for myself, judge it myself, know how much money I have, or do not have, in my bank account, and only I can act accordingly. Others are simply acting on ignorance of all the facts, or I bet some have secret agendas and say go on hoping to see their fellow player totally fail. All these players on the edge are not saintly individuals and entirely selfless like they all pretend to be. Some are probably extremely envious when they see someone else get a huge amount and get lucky with the boxes too. It's human nature after all.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The answer is quite simple, they are told to do that to pad the show out. The show is then edited to fit the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    The answer is quite simple, they are told to do that to pad the show out. The show is then edited to fit the time.

Fair point, but.....Noel has said so many times that it is the players game and they can play it, and do as they wish with it. Speed rounds and the like, when 3 boxes are all opened within seconds is a good example. In over 2,000 games nobody has yet done something that I would like to do in the very first round if I was to play, and that is to have a speed round in the opening round of 5 boxes, all opened simultaneously. Now that would be a laugh, and different, and likely give Noel the shakes as he has even more time to chinwag away with the banker after such a round!
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    It just goes on for far to long, to many sob stories, to many contestants who we are made to feel deserving of the chance at the money
    Way to much padding, to many family members having their tuppence worth, to much kissing, cuddling and thanking of the contestants for opening boxes

and way to much getting up and down,walking around from the contestant of the day

I just watch the last 15 mins of it now as I find the rest really boring
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will go next year. It's been on too long.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I've never liked this show. It's just soooo boring!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to much kissing, cuddling and thanking of the contestants for opening boxes

and way to much getting up and down,walking around from the contestant of the day

Yeah your not wrong there. Just sit in the chair and open the boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok how about this for an idea. Not every player who gets to the TV studios actually gets to play the game.

This could be dependant upon advice to the player etc which would have to be realistic.

I think it would make for a better show. At the moment they all know they are guaranteed to eventually be in the show.

As a viewer we simply don't see the moment when a contestant is selected to be on the TV show. That probably happens in some interview room somewhere. All we see on the TV show is when the contestant is selected to play THEIR game on TV. But whilst they don't know, you would think they would have a rough guess of when their time will be if they are approaching 22 shows (the number of players in the game) in the wings. Imagine us seeing that moment if they geniunely did not know they would even be playing the game! It would add a bit of tension to the show BEFORE the game even begins.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's rather difficult to decline when you start at rock bottom
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never liked this show. It's just soooo boring!

It was good in the early days, but the overkill has become too much. I'm sure Noel can do better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I recall one chap about a year ago who continued to sit in the chair and got told off by Noel and told to get off his backside! Yet come the end of the game Noel is always very insistant that the player must be sitting down in the "crazy chair" ready for their own box opening, and if they have a partner already in that chair he will ask them to get out and let the actual player sit down in it. For me, I think the player should remain in the chair for the game duration, with the exception of the 1p kiss if they must keep doing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok how about this for an idea. Not every player who gets to the TV studios actually gets to play the game.

This could be dependant upon advice to the player etc which would have to be realistic.

I think it would make for a better show. At the moment they all know they are guaranteed to eventually be in the show.

As a viewer we simply don't see the moment when a contestant is selected to be on the TV show. That probably happens in some interview room somewhere. All we see on the TV show is when the contestant is selected to play THEIR game on TV. But whilst they don't know, you would think they would have a rough guess of when their time will be if they are approaching 22 shows (the number of players in the game) in the wings. Imagine us seeing that moment if they geniunely did not know they would even be playing the game! It would add a bit of tension to the show BEFORE the game even begins.

How about the length of time you have been in the wings becomes irrelevant. A player turns up as a newbie and by total random pick could be straight out to play immediately if they got lucky, likewise if you were very unlucky you could end up standing waiting to play for 100 games! As things stand, it has never been explained just how that decision on who plays is arrived at. Is it a random pick from the 5 longest people in the wings, or what? It's never been explained as far as I am aware.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about the length of time you have been in the wings becomes irrelevant. A player turns up as a newbie and by total random pick could be straight out to play immediately if they got lucky, likewise if you were very unlucky you could end up standing waiting to play for 100 games! As things stand, it has never been explained just how that decision on who plays is arrived at. Is it a random pick from the 5 longest people in the wings, or what? It's never been explained as far as I am aware.

Firstly a newbie won't have mingled with the other contestants and become one of the gang like they want them to be if they are on first appearance.

Secondly the chosen contestant is done by the producer remember Lucy "50 shows" from 1996 they let her stand there for 50 shows and she won a £5. I think the amount of time you are left depends on your personality, are you adding more to the game by being their everyday or are you a dullard who stands there says nothing looks wet or are you a loud mouth who thinks they are the funniest and annoys everyone.
  • Options
    TrevorFowlerTrevorFowler Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    It was good in the early days, but the overkill has become too much. I'm sure Noel can do better.

I think Noel might actually be part of the problem. I'm quite sure that a presenter of Noel's calibre would be given a degree of autonomy as to how he conducts the show above being given a general brief to ensure enough chat, fake tension and other time filling froth be there for the programme editors to play with.

In addition to the gripes mentioned in the tread already, I find other aspects of the show annoying. There is Noel's continual misinformation about the nature of probability and an encouragement of the so called gambler's fallacy. There is the perpetuation of arbitrary superstitions around the new player and box 22 for example. There is the drawn out nonsense when a male player is to give the 1p kiss to another male, with slow motion replays and the Barry White music.

Then there is Noel's sycophantic attitude to the younger female players. For a man in his 60s, this is just creepy.

It is irritating when Noel keeps going on about the possibility of a male £250k winner. I don't think there will ever be one. First, the show does seem to have jumped the shark in a more spectacular way than the edition of Happy Days that gave rise to the term and the programme may simply run out of time. Second, there is a significant majority of female players (presumably as they give rise to more emotionally charged games) and thirdly a male player (unless he is single) is not allowed to play his own game. The wife/partner in the audience is always allowed a disproportionate say in his game play. The banker and Noel collaborate in all this when they frequently refer to the man's children who's photos are on his box and apply an amount of emotional blackmail. The male player knows that if he gambles and loses, he knows he'll be in the doghouse.

The only gimmick I found entertaining was when some of the pilgrims was selected and sided with the banker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is exactly what they did in the first series and there were no gimicks, chants or long drawn out babbling.