Options

Holiday in Mexico?

AdsAds Posts: 37,093
Forum Member
I am looking at maybe going on holiday in Mexico in November - (apparently August to October is rainy season). Looking at maybe a week in and around Mexico City, then a week based in Cancun and the Yucatan Peninsular.

From what I hear once the flights are paid for, Mexico is a cheap place to visit in terms of hotels, food etc?

The stories of drug warfare are a little off-putting but this is concentrated around the US border if I am correct? So should be well away from it all in these areas I am looking at?

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you've got good travel insurance, as I was ripped off badly by a hospital when I fell seriously ill out there.
  • Options
    PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I am looking at maybe going on holiday in Mexico in November - (apparently August to October is rainy season). Looking at maybe a week in and around Mexico City, then a week based in Cancun and the Yucatan Peninsular.

From what I hear once the flights are paid for, Mexico is a cheap place to visit in terms of hotels, food etc?

The stories of drug warfare are a little off-putting but this is concentrated around the US border if I am correct? So should be well away from it all in these areas I am looking at?

No, the drug related violence is not just near the border. Quite a bit of violence occurs in resort areas too. Mexico also has a lot of corruption in its police and government. My advice is to find a more civilized country to visit that will be much safer.
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    If you go to Mexico, stay around your hotel and/or resort. You can get decent all-inclusive holidays to Mexico, otherwise stay out of most towns and cities due to crime, or only go accompanied and during daylight hours.
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are so many other warm places to go. I would just go somewhere else.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30 yrs ago I lived in the Yucatan penisular and feel so saddened by this thread as my memories of Mexico are very very different. My daughter was there about 5 years ago and of course it has changed but I can't believe it is as bad as posters here are making out. Cancun is still a major holiday resort as is Cozumel and all round that area. Of course there is violence which is the same in any country but as long as you are sensible and don't go off the beaten track on your own then you will be fine.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    30 yrs ago I lived in the Yucatan penisular and feel so saddened by this thread as my memories of Mexico are very very different. My daughter was there about 5 years ago and of course it has changed but I can't believe it is as bad as posters here are making out. Cancun is still a major holiday resort as is Cozumel and all round that area. Of course there is violence which is the same in any country but as long as you are sensible and don't go off the beaten track on your own then you will be fine.

I'm also saddened by this thread. I spent an amazing two months backpacking around the Yucatan in 1995. With the exception of the concrete tourist trap that is Cancun, I loved it there - beautiful place, wonderful memories. I would hesitate before going back now, though, I must say.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've ignored similar advice and reputations in the past and regretted it. It's frustrating to accept there's places in the world it's just wiser to avoid, but that's life.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    The Yucatan Peninsula is safe or as safe as any where else, but I would avoid the rest of mexico, and especially Mexico City its not known as the kidnap capital of the World for nothing. Have a look at trip advisor lots of great advice on there.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend has spent a year working in Mexico and loved it (apart from the occasional food poisoning). She had no problems with crime and she's a tiny girl in her 20's, so I guess it's not all bad. She was there 2 years ago.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,093
    Forum Member
    I have heard a few mixed messages - I spoke to a couple of friends who went recently who had a fantastic time - then on here I see lots of people advising me its too dangerous! The research I have done says the Yucatan area is generally fairly safe though. I really fancy going to Mexico because of all the amazing Aztec stuff, combined with nice beaches, so am just trying to weight it all up.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been to Cancun on inclusive and it's was great
    As I understand the Accapulco area now has nil tourism due to drug wars and making your way round Mexico alone without a machine gun toting guard is unwise
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard a few mixed messages - I spoke to a couple of friends who went recently who had a fantastic time - then on here I see lots of people advising me its too dangerous! The research I have done says the Yucatan area is generally fairly safe though. I really fancy going to Mexico because of all the amazing Aztec stuff, combined with nice beaches, so am just trying to weight it all up.

Is it possible to have a "fantastic time?" Of course, but I still wouldn't recommend traveling to Mexico. One shouldn't have to worry about their vacation destination being safe. Find a safer and less corrupt country to visit.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to cancun all inclusive October 2011

Now it was the rainy season and out of the 2 weeks there we did have 3 days solid of tropical rain (tail end of a hurricane) but apart from that the weather was lovely. We never had any problems in cancun, we left our hotel and visited the main town bit on many occasions and did abit of shopping. The shopkeepers do try to get you to buy things but a polite no thanks is enough, not like Egypt where they practically run after you trying to force you into buying something! Nightlife is good, we went to several bars and to coco bongos and it was a great laugh, the service you get is great, tipping gets an even better service aswell. Excursions wise we did most on offer, Xel-Ha was very nice it's basically a water based theme park. I enjoyed it there I'd go back definately
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,132
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Make sure you've got good travel insurance, as I was ripped off badly by a hospital when I fell seriously ill out there.

Why didn't you have travel insurance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PPhilster wrote: »
    No, the drug related violence is not just near the border. Quite a bit of violence occurs in resort areas too. Mexico also has a lot of corruption in its police and government. My advice is to find a more civilized country to visit that will be much safer.

There have been hardly any incidents in Cancun, there was one not long ago but nothing else as far as I'm aware. Cancun is certainly safer than London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you go to Mexico, stay around your hotel and/or resort. You can get decent all-inclusive holidays to Mexico, otherwise stay out of most towns and cities due to crime, or only go accompanied and during daylight hours.

Absolute rubbish.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been hardly any incidents in Cancun, there was one not long ago but nothing else as far as I'm aware. Cancun is certainly safer than London.

My advice stands. Find a more civilized and less corrupt country to visit. My Mexican friends agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is it possible to have a "fantastic time?" Of course, but I still wouldn't recommend traveling to Mexico. One shouldn't have to worry about their vacation destination being safe. Find a safer and less corrupt country to visit.

Have you got any evidence at all that Cancun isn't safe compared to other big resorts or big cities?

No, didn't think so.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got any evidence at all that Cancun isn't safe compared to other big resorts or big cities?

No, didn't think so.:rolleyes:

If you are going to ask someone a question then at least let them respond. Why is it every time you respond to me you go out of your way to be rude?

I have family in Mexico, I am Married to someone from Mexico, I have many friends in Mexico, I live near Mexico, etc, etc, and my advice is not to travel there at this time. There is simply to much corruption and too much crime. There are many other places the OP can go without having to worry about such things. No one should have to be asking if their vacation destination is safe or not.

If you want to disagree then that's fine but you don't have to be rude about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/six-strangled-one-decapitated-mexican-resort-cancun-010430975.html

http://m.insightcrime.org/pages/article/4062
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you are going to ask someone a question then at least let them respond. Why is it every time you respond to me you go out of your way to be rude?

I have family in Mexico, I am Married to someone from Mexico, I have many friends in Mexico, I live near Mexico, etc, etc, and my advice is not to travel there at this time. There is simply to much corruption and too much crime. There are many other places the OP can go without having to worry about such things. No one should have to be asking if their vacation destination is safe or not.

If you want to disagree then that's fine but you don't have to be rude about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/six-strangled-one-decapitated-mexican-resort-cancun-010430975.html

http://m.insightcrime.org/pages/article/4062

So you found one violent incident? Well done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you found one violent incident? Well done.

You obviously don't know much about Mexico. If I were you I would stop at this point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You obviously don't know much about Mexico. If I were you I would stop at this point.

I realise you are the expert on everything but the crime rate in Cancun is low. I know there are areas of Mexico that are dangerous, but Cancun certainly is not one of them so unless you can prove otherwise perhaps you should stop.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The U.S. State department has no travel advisory for Cancun. My "Mexican friend" took his wife and two young children on vacation there a few months ago and they had a great time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise you are the expert on everything but the crime rate in Cancun is low.

Why would you make such a silly remark?

I have shown quite clearly that I have more knowledge of the situation than you do. A holiday of yours in Cancun certainly doesn't make you an "expert."

[QUOTE=walterwhite;65810419]I know there are areas of Mexico that are dangerous, but Cancun certainly is not one of them so unless you can prove otherwise perhaps you should stop.[/QUOTE]

You don't know what you are talking about. It is quite obvious the same things that have been happening in the rest of the country is also happening more and more in Cancun.

http://www.mexicogulfreporter.com/2012/10/mexican-army-commander-cancun-police.html

http://www.mexicogulfreporter.com/2012/08/on-playa-del-carmens-famous-fifth.html

http://www.mexicogulfreporter.com/2012/02/mexicos-caribbean-riviera-maya-in-hands.html
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My advice is don't go unless you are happy to stay in the 'hotel compound'.