Options

Should Scotland be allowed to keep the pound if they vote for Independence?

Comments

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,000
    Forum Member
    I voted no. If they want independence, I have no problem with that but you can't say you want independence and then cherry pick the parts of the UK you want to keep.

I hope they have a plan B lined up for when the UK government don't let them keep it. Sammond seems set on getting it and hasn't really offered much alternative if they don't get what they want.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Salmond has already unilaterally decided that Scotland is going to carry on receiving the UK's television, despite there being absolutely no such agreement either with the UK government or the BBC. Such things reveal the sheer arrogance of the SNP position.

According to the SNP:

My response to this fantasy would be get stuffed!! Yet another example of 'independence' meaning 'cherry-picking the bits we want'.
    It's going to be a big expense refunding all those license fees to Scottish nationals who still have time to go on them :D
    We have to keep Bruce

He cannot be moved without fracturing and must be maintained in a temperature controlled chamber.

He's like England's version of the Mona Lisa.
    And equally as inimpressive :D
    Sambda wrote: »
    How are the armed forces going to work? Is Scotland going to set up its own Air Force etc.? What will its Navy be - a bloke in a rowing-boat with a water pistol?
    Imagine how many Scots there are overseas in the armed forces now, they can all go home! ;)

What happens if they get independence when people live on one side of the 'border' and work, or get paid by a company that is registered the other side?

Will there be two taxes to pay? Will you get paid in the currency by which you employer operates?
    Will all the Scots who live in England, Wales and NI have to apply for some kind of Visa to continue working here, a work permit or whatever they call them here... the same as any other European nationals who come to work in the UK? Will there be restrictions on migration? It's a minefield!
    jra wrote: »
    So (according to that), we'll need a passport to travel between borders, as the rest of the UK has not signed the Schengen Agreement. Even people going by train, car, coach, bus, lorry etc. between England and Scotland will have to go through border control and presumably all Scottish people will need to buy new Scottish passports, as UK ones won't be valid any more. Either that, or you get a free renewal. That's another large bill someone will have to pay.
    Lots of large bills when you think about every little detail, it boggles the mind.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    But it's a bit like a divorce where each party tries to get what it wants. Like marriage, both parties put something into the partnership, so both have a right to try to claim something back..

What they get is everything north of the border.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Lots of large bills when you think about every little detail, it boggles the mind.

New stamps and currency will have be issued, if Scotland is going to be (truly) independent.

Various other government organisations and charities, operating on a UK basis, will have to change status. The Royal Mail, National Rail (although NI operates it's own rail rail service and is part of the UK), the RNLI for example.

Any sport or event that involves UK participation will have to change status.

etc.

That is, if Scotland can't cherry pick, which is very likely to happen, if they can get away with it.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New stamps and currency will have be issued, if Scotland is going to be (truly) independent.

Various other government organisations and charities, operating on a UK basis, will have to change status. The Royal Mail, National Rail (although NI operates it's own rail rail service and is part of the UK), the RNLI for example.

Any sport or that involves UK participation will have to change status.

etc.

That is, if Scotland can't cherry pick, which is very likely to happen, if they can get away with it.
    Oh well, as Cameron said the other day, we are a rich nation, money's not object :D ;-)
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Is it though?

Pretty sure the guy from the BOE said it would work fine.

He said no such thing:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/29/mark-carney-scottish-independence-currency-union

In fact he highlighted the dangers for the UK in potentially having to bail out Scotland if the new little country mismanages its finances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't talk crap.
    Do you think we get up every morning and say..what dae ye think aboot that culloden....ah'll never let that go...a cannae get it oot ma heid....culloden is ruining ma life.
    It's not like that.....i'm more thinking what im going to make for the dinner or whats planned to watch on evening tv or going out....being with my family.
    Same as you do.
    I never dwell on culloden....I never think of it.

And yet you've already stated that your reasons for voting 'Yes' in a referendum are because of how England so cruelly and pitilessly forced an unwilling Scotland into a Union over three hundred years ago.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How will the NHS be split? will Scotland be able to afford to run their own part of it.?
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    How will the NHS be split? will Scotland be able to afford to run their own part of it.?

The NHS is already split..

How they get the money to keep running it is another matter of course.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    starsailor wrote: »
    The NHS is already split..

How they get the money to keep running it is another matter of course.

And what discounts they can get on medications...

IIRC at the moment the NHS negotiates for a lot of medicines at a national level (across the whole of the UK) and gets a better price (in theory) because it is done under the central umbrella rather than individual areas/trusts doing it, so if Scotland splits from the UK it will have to start doing the negotiations for medicines as a much smaller customer of the suppliers.

There are probably thousands of such things that will have to be sorted out, and for a lot of them a small country won't be able to get the same sort of volume discounts, or the admin overheads will be that much higher compared to the total cost (in the same way that a supermarket can undercut a corner shop because it buys more, and the overheads work out lower per item sold).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what will happen about the UKs EU rebate. Salmond appears to think that Scotland will be able to carry over a share. But if Scotland has to renegotiate for the EU then I can't see Europe letting them keep any part of it. Especially as the Scots GDP is a fair bit higher than rUKs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    magratx wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen about the UKs EU rebate. Salmond appears to think that Scotland will be able to carry over a share. But if Scotland has to renegotiate for the EU then I can't see Europe letting them keep any part of it. Especially as the Scots GDP is a fair bit higher than rUKs

Salmond appears to think he can get everything he wants from the UK, as well as cutting taxes, increasing spending and giving the Scottish people a standard of living far in excess of what they currently have.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    And what discounts they can get on medications...

IIRC at the moment the NHS negotiates for a lot of medicines at a national level (across the whole of the UK) and gets a better price (in theory) because it is done under the central umbrella rather than individual areas/trusts doing it, so if Scotland splits from the UK it will have to start doing the negotiations for medicines as a much smaller customer of the suppliers.

There are probably thousands of such things that will have to be sorted out, and for a lot of them a small country won't be able to get the same sort of volume discounts, or the admin overheads will be that much higher compared to the total cost (in the same way that a supermarket can undercut a corner shop because it buys more, and the overheads work out lower per item sold).

Thats exactly how it works. Although it's not just medicines but other really expensive stuff too such as artificial hips, pacemakers, artificial valves/hearts, beds and machines that go ping!

However, in practice I would imagine the additional costs would be negligable. Now if they were purchased like they are in the USA where each hospital/family doctor purchases directly then the costs would be much higher - maybe even 50 times higher or more.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay - I'm gonna ask..what does rUK mean?

The 'r' bit obviously :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »

A dismissive term: Rump United Kingdom i.e. the part that's left. I prefer 'the UK' as, for us, nothing much will have changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A dismissive term: Rump United Kingdom i.e. the part that's left. I prefer 'the UK' as, for us, nothing much will have changed.
    Ah - cheers :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »

I've always assumed it to mean 'rest of' but now I'll probably look like an idiot and find out it means something completely different:blush::D

ETA I knew it:D
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katkim wrote: »
    If shared rules are enough to ensure a stable currency union then yes, but I think the euro zone crisis has shown that it's easily not the case. The UK government has to act in the interest of England, Wales and Northern Ireland rather than an independant Scotland and if there is an unaceptable risk then the answer should be no.

Exactly.

You can't have a foreign power in a position to be able to affect the stability and value of your currency. One bad decision by Scotland and the pound could plummet in value affecting business and individuals in the UK.

Someone mentioned Jersey, but Jersey is different. It's a Crown Dependency rather than a truly independent country and as such has a special relationship with the UK.

Also, Jersey's GDP is so small as to make it unable to substantially affect the UK's financial stability through bad decisions. Scotland on the other hand, has a lot more financial clout.

At the end of the day, the Scots either want independence or they don't. You can't cherry pick the best bits and retain those whilst giving everything else up. Independence is something that's all or nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    magratx wrote: »
    I've always assumed it to mean 'rest of' but now I'll probably look like an idiot and find out it means something completely different:blush::D

ETA I knew it:D
    :D

I had to ask - Google wasn't my friend :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Remainder
  • Options
    Forum Member
    munta wrote: »
    Remainder

Rump.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rump.

Remainder (or rest or remaining) - It's only Rump as far as the Yes camp are concerned because it makes them feel self important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Remainder (or rest or remaining) - It's only Rump as far as the Yes camp are concerned because it makes them feel self important.

Thanks Munta, I feel better now:D
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Personally, I've no particular problem with Scotland going it alone, but the further you look into it, the more expensive and complex this becomes.

Indeed. To me it does not seem worth all the hassle.

Also the fact it seems to be the dumbest move in recent history.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    It's going to be a big expense refunding all those license fees to Scottish nationals who still have time to go on them :D

And equally as inimpressive :D

Imagine how many Scots there are overseas in the armed forces now, they can all go home! ;)

Will all the Scots who live in England, Wales and NI have to apply for some kind of Visa to continue working here, a work permit or whatever they call them here... the same as any other European nationals who come to work in the UK? Will there be restrictions on migration? It's a minefield!

Not yet, but it shouldn't take us too long to lay one on the border.

Edit. It's a pity that the wall's in the wrong place.