Options

People dying on Live TV

Comments

• Options
    Rachel2006Rachel2006 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it was definitely live and was filmed by Yorkshire TV. The video was leaked onto Youtube sometime ago but removed thankfully.

I saw it live as it happened too and was horrified to see those poor people. Also wished I didn't see that Bud Dwyer clip that I googled from the first page of this thread. Horrific.:cry:
  • Options
    Rachel2006Rachel2006 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sgt.cryer wrote: »
    Thats quite some fire. The away fans singing was a bit much.

Not surprising from a bunch of morons. Their behaviour was appalling. :mad:
  • Options
    Chris_71Chris_71 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    centrino04 wrote: »
    Challenger was horrible.

It was bad enough to see it explode, but even worse as they cut live to the faces of the families of those on board.

Yes, it was terrible for them to switch to the familes when they eventually realized the vehicle had failed. It took about 10-20 horrible seconds to realize, as the angle from the viewing areas at KSC makes it hard to tell, as she (Challenger) would be arced with her engines pointing towards KSC as she gains downrange, rather than the obvious sideways on angle we saw on TV.

Apologies if someone posted further down the thread on this, but technically, no one saw the crew die live on TV. Sorry about the below, but have to note...

The explosion (which wasn't actually an explosion in the normal sense) did not kill the crew.

The Rogers Commision report into the accident noted that Challenger herself was thrown free of the tank and boosters, but immediately broke up due to the aerodynamic stresses.

The crew cabin (Flight Deck, Mid Deck) remained intact.

They fell for two minutes before hitting the ocean downrange, which was unsurvivable. That wasn't shown on TV. We only saw debris and a wing hit the ocean on TV.

Four of the crew managed various stages of activating their personal air supplies, pointing to a loss of pressure in the crew cabin, but mercyfully they would have likely passed out within seconds and would not have been aware past those five to ten seconds of the failure.

The loss of Columbia was not live on TV, as she was still racing across the States, losing velocity (I think she was still doing Mach 18 at the time), and NASA cover the final few minutes (approaching Florida) as the orbiters go into the HAC (a big 360 loop to get the speed and heading bang on for landing).

RIP Challenger and Columbia.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bud Dwyer story is horrible, and it's amazing that TV news opted to broadcast recordings of it!

Details here, with no film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_dwyer

I remember the Bradford fire. It started in exactly the same way as the Kings Cross Station fire: cigarette end dropped into litter under a wooden stand (wooden escalator at Kings Cross). Horrible.

Sid James died onstage at the Sunderland Empire, but it wasn't televised. A few years later, Les Dawson was performing at that theatre, and was so frightened by Sid's ghost in his dressing room that he refused to return there.

Tommy Cooper's collapse was televised (I remember my grandparents talking about it), but he died offstage and off camera.

The Gareth Jones example is very interesting. He died in between scenes, of a live-beroadcast ITV play. I met the late, great TV producer Verity lambert a while ago, and she talked about that experience. She was Production Assistant on that broadcast. While the director re-wrote the entire script in order to write out that character, verity went onto the studio floor and issued the new script pages and new directions to the shocked cast.

More info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Jones_%28actor%29

This is all a bit morbid, isn't it?!?!
    chuff.x.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching CNN news when they switched to live news that was following a lear jet.

At the time this jet, which was registered to Payne Stewart the golfer, had veered off course and they couldn't make contact with the pilot. The windows were obstructed by frost and it was being reported that all the crew and passengers were incapacitated due to a sudden loss of pressure.

Eventually fighter jets flew alongsdie and eventually it wsent off air as they new it was going to crash once it ran out of fuel. I'm not sure how they controlled where it fell but I rememner thinking how eerie it was to be watching this plane fly with dead or dying people inside.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pauljs wrote: »
    Most of the people who died at the Bradford fire couldn't get out of the locked fire exit at the back, it was also fuelled by rubbish build up under the stand. As with Hillsborough the aim of the day at the time was keeping fans locked in the stands

I went on a health and safety course and was shown the Bradford FC Fire and a fire brigade video of the fire was shown after it and you could see charred bodies that were where the locked doors had been. Also Bradford FC were told by Health and Safety Exectives and also by the Fire Bridage two weeks before the fire to get rid of the rubbish that was under the stand that burned down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    Chris_71 wrote: »
    Yes, it was terrible for them to switch to the familes when they eventually realized the vehicle had failed. It took about 10-20 horrible seconds to realize, as the angle from the viewing areas at KSC makes it hard to tell, as she (Challenger) would be arced with her engines pointing towards KSC as she gains downrange, rather than the obvious sideways on angle we saw on TV.

Apologies if someone posted further down the thread on this, but technically, no one saw the crew die live on TV. Sorry about the below, but have to note...

The explosion (which wasn't actually an explosion in the normal sense) did not kill the crew.

The Rogers Commision report into the accident noted that Challenger herself was thrown free of the tank and boosters, but immediately broke up due to the aerodynamic stresses.

The crew cabin (Flight Deck, Mid Deck) remained intact.

They fell for two minutes before hitting the ocean downrange, which was unsurvivable. That wasn't shown on TV. We only saw debris and a wing hit the ocean on TV.

Four of the crew managed various stages of activating their personal air supplies, pointing to a loss of pressure in the crew cabin, but mercyfully they would have likely passed out within seconds and would not have been aware past those five to ten seconds of the failure.

The loss of Columbia was not live on TV, as she was still racing across the States, losing velocity (I think she was still doing Mach 18 at the time), and NASA cover the final few minutes (approaching Florida) as the orbiters go into the HAC (a big 360 loop to get the speed and heading bang on for landing).

RIP Challenger and Columbia.

Yes, I forgot that. If you watch this video here of the teacher standby, Barbara Morgan viewing the launch, you can see at the end the stream from the shuttle and how different it looks from that perspective. Also you can see how it takes a little while for them to realise something is wrong after 'throttle-up'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Git1nrTAg5w
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember that as if it was yesterday. Really disturbed me as a kid! But what always stayed with me was the footage of Christa Macauliffe's parents looking distraught just after the Challenger broke up. :cry:

Worse still, they didn't die straight away - the capsule split from the rest of the ship, but remained intact and fell to earth. They were in contact with mission control as they fell.

I've been to a talk about this and it was the most intresting and enthralling thing I've ever seen. Some American guy did it at a works conference one.

EDIT - just seen the posting above.
  • Options
    jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OnceBitten wrote: »
    Bud Dwyer.

(Google it).

flipping heck didnt expect that when i put google video on :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    Will you all stop wallowing in this? Several people have given links for the Bradford fire and Challenger, and many of you seem to have watched them just so that you can say "ooh wasn't it awful".
    Most posts seem to enjoy the vicarious pleasure of discussing other peoples tragedies.
    Grow up and get over it.
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fosdyke wrote: »
    Will you all stop wallowing in this? Several people have given links for the Bradford fire and Challenger, and many of you seem to have watched them just so that you can say "ooh wasn't it awful".
    Most posts seem to enjoy the vicarious pleasure of discussing other peoples tragedies.
    Grow up and get over it.

It was ever thus. People cannot help but revel in tragedy - it has even been discussed in this thread.

I was at the Bradford fire - in the kop to the side of the fire...I was only 4 so I actually cannot remember anything about it except being told to leave with my dad and brother...I can't watch clips of it now though...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    It was ever thus. People cannot help but revel in tragedy - it has even been discussed in this thread.

I was at the Bradford fire - in the kop to the side of the fire...I was only 4 so I actually cannot remember anything about it except being told to leave with my dad and brother...I can't watch clips of it now though...

I'm so sorry to hear that you were there Chilli Dragon, glad you were too young to remember any of it.
    It's chilling to think that this could have been you and your dad and brother that these posts could be talking about. As you say, this is one of the seamier sides of human nature.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    Grow up and get over it.

No one is enjoying it.
    Personally, I have had a long fascination with space travel and the space shuttle for many years.
  • Options
    Forever AwkwardForever Awkward Posts: 3,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cajone1963 wrote: »
    Didn't Caroline Bradley, a showjumper, die on TV when her horse fell on her?

If I remember correctly, she died of a heart attack in the collecting ring after an event.
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry to hear that you were there Chilli Dragon, glad you were too young to remember any of it.
    It's chilling to think that this could have been you and your dad and brother that these posts could be talking about. As you say, this is one of the seamier sides of human nature.

Yes, it never bothered me until I became a miserable teenager and then I kept thinking about how, if we had been richer, we may have had season tickets for that stand...

I have never been a "video nasty" watcher...I don't watch those YouTube clips of decapitated soldiers nor graphic news clips of people dying, like the news man...:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Bradford was live on TV as from what I remember it was on a Saturday afternoon. I was having a bath listening to a commentary of another match and they reported a fire at Bradford. At the time I thought little of it as I imagined people could easily evacuate if it was serious, but the intensity of the fire with the litter and wooden stands made it worse.

I was shown a video of the fire as part of a fire training course, we were told how the fire sucked up all the air in the stadium and I think many were suffocated.

The match was being recorded for 'The Big Match'.

One particularly sad story that emerged afterwards was of an elderly man, a lifelong supporter of Bradford City, who knew he wasn't going to be able to get out and urged the younger people who were trying to help him to save themselves. Eventually, they did and he just sat there and waited to die.

56 people died.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grow up and get over it.
    I don't think anyone takes pleasure from other people's tragedies. Events like the Challenger and Columbia disasters, the Bradford fire, Senna's accident etc. are important events in our history and it is natural to be curious to know what happened and visual images (photograph or footage) are part of that understanding.

As for suicides like that of Bud Dwyer, I would agree there is a macabre element to viewing something like that, but he did choose to die in a very public way, so presumably he wished people to see it.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A firend of mine told me that when he lived in Germany in the early 90's.He remembers watching this talent show that was shown live.There were 2 guys that were Trapeze Artists.During their performance one of the guys misjudged his leap & crashed to the ground below.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sgt.cryer wrote: »
    All the tom pryce videos dont show much of the actual crash itself

I was 12 when this happened and remember it.

To be honest, the accident itself was over in a flash. The marshall was flipped in the air like a rag and seemed almost to disappear into thin air. Though, by accounts that I prefer not to believe, the poor boy didn't even die instantly. Apparently, there is photography of him being tended to. I have (purposely) not tried to look for it and don't really want to post on here the descriptions that I have been given.

It wasn't instantly obvious at all that Tom Pryce had been killed in the accident. His car continued around the bend (I would assume because of the position that his steering wheel must have already been in) until it veered into the side of another driver whose name I can't remember right now. The driver was understandably angry at what he thought were Pryce's conscious actions, got out of his car and went over to Pryce's car, gesticulating.

Tom Pryce is buried in a village churchyard not far from where I live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one is enjoying it.
    Personally, I have had a long fascination with space travel and the space shuttle for many years.

i dont know about revelling in it, both challenger and bradford i saw on tv at the time, i cant see what is so terrible in giving someone a link to see what the discussion is about, although those who wish to see the decapitations and news suicide, i;m not watching with you.Others may want to try to understand it in some way.
  • Options
    Chris_71Chris_71 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jigsawjake wrote: »
    i dont know about revelling in it, both challenger and bradford i saw on tv at the time, i cant see what is so terrible in giving someone a link to see what the discussion is about, although those who wish to see the decapitations and news suicide, i;m not watching with you.Others may want to try to understand it in some way.

I agree.

There's events that provide education, such as the loss of Shuttle Challenger, because it's a reminder that this is - to quote NASA boss Mike Griffin last year "the hardest thing humans have yet learned how to do".

There's six Shuttle launches - including the flagship mission by Shuttle Atlantis to save Hubble (STS-125) - in 2008 ( www.nasaspaceflight.com ) Each one is damn dangerous. There's nothing routine about it. Seven souls are strapped into an amazing, but danagerous, vehicle that is flying herself during launch, powered first stage flight of 44 million horsepower, and any number of millions of things have to work, or they'll die.

To respect this, people need to learn about when it does go wrong, because you then have more respect for when (over 100 times) it goes right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger Williamson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dymafi wrote: »
    Can't recall this game being live.

I remember them showing live footage of the stand on fire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jwar1976 wrote: »
    Wrestler Owen Hart died when he was doing a superhero gimmick, he flew into the arena via a cable and sadly it snapped & he dropped 50ft into the ring, breaking his neck :(.

Here you go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That clip seems not to be genuine as it looks like the scene from a game.