Options

New look BBC News website

Comments

• Options
    WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    I just wish they had rolled it out to the whole site and not have the news stories resort back to the old style.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WillowFae wrote: »
    I just wish they had rolled it out to the whole site and not have the news stories resort back to the old style.
    It's only articles that were published before today that are in older styles.
    When they did the last update all the articles which done in the previous style changed to the (then) new one - but everything older than that stayed the same. It looks like no previous articles have been changed in this update unless that is still to happen.
    If you look back at old articles from ten years ago you will see they are still in the style they were back then.
  • Options
    WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    I see. I would have thought they'd just update the main style sheet which would affect everything.

edited to add: it's not just old stories. If you click on the 'England' link, the whole page is the old style with just the new menu and top bar. Looks odd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see. I would have thought they'd just update the main style sheet which would affect everything.

edited to add: it's not just old stories. If you click on the 'England' link, the whole page is the old style with just the new menu and top bar. Looks odd.

The upgrade isn't complete yet, it would seem its being done in phases. As the day has progressed I've noticed changes occuring, so over the next few days sections not changed should unless its old articles, they'll stay the old style as previous poster has mentioned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seem the category title pages haven't been properly changed yet and just have the new title bar and left menu which is why there is a gap down the right hand side.
    All the new articles are in the news style so it's just a few bits which still to be changed. It's a pretty huge website - these things take time to happen.
  • Options
    ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that's bugging me is that huge black BBC title bar which is wasting space. Why do we need a BBC logo directly above the BBC News logo?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    They seem to have improved it a bit since lunchtime. There's a bit more colour in the separation bars and things now. Looks less like a sparsely populated piece of paper now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    I really don't like it at all. :(

IMO sky news now has a website that's a lot better than the beebs.

I've mourned the loss of the Sport link not being in Yellow for ages (it was so easy to see!) now we have this wishy washy layout to the news website.

I wonder what it'll do to their traffic, I think I'll be getting more news from The Guardian (fabulous revamp there!) Sky, and yes The Daily Mail (who have a great site IMO).

I've not tried ITN yet.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    Should they cater for those still using green screens? At some point they need to move on, it's not as if 1024 is an excessively high resolution.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

But why does it need to be fixed width at all?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    Yes, all very well for those that have the room and cash.

Auntie is still out of order to presume anything about anyone's screen sizes and resolutions. It's sad to see the Beeb's formerly high technical standards slipping.

This is from the Editor's Blog
    It’s wider - We’ve had lots of feedback from you about making best use of available screen space - we’ve always taken a rather cautious and gradual approach to this because we want to make sure that the maximum number of people can still access our site wherever they are, whatever the screen size or device. But we now reckon that 95% of you have your screen resolution set to 1024 pixels or wider, and we’re confident that it’s the right time to use the extra space to improve the site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/

No matter what the argument with "impoverished people using old VGA screens" no website can carry on catering for the lowest common denominator indefinitely, especially as over time that user base will be shrinking and shrinking.

Otherwise if there would be little progress anywhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its an imprvement but a bit of a cop out. They had the opportunity to be as bold as they were on the homepage (which is very nice), but bottled it by just stretching out the old design
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its an imprvement but a bit of a cop out. They had the opportunity to be as bold as they were on the homepage (which is very nice), but bottled it by just stretching out the old design
    Take a read of the editors blog (link posted above0, it gives you an idea of what is changing, and how the changes are to be rolled out gradually (with more to come by the sound of it). :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Dumbed down rubbish. The new site has less news per square inch and more white space. Absolutely useless for a quick glance at what's going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finisterre wrote: »
    Dumbed down rubbish. The new site has less news per square inch and more white space. Absolutely useless for a quick glance at what's going on.

Can't please everyone then:
    More open design - Our research told us you wanted the content on the site to have more “room to breathe”, so we've opened up the design to let more space in. We hope this will make it easier for you to read the pages and to scan for what you're looking for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Yes, I can just see all those people being surveyed saying "There's just too much news. I only want to see 25% of the news at once. Then I can click link after link until I get to eventually see ALL the news."
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what it'll do to their traffic, I think I'll be getting more news from The Guardian (fabulous revamp there!) Sky, and yes The Daily Mail (who have a great site IMO).

I've not tried ITN yet.

The BBC is still the most popular news website in Europe (and one of the top few in the world) and still the first place I go, but the newspapers really have been raising their game recently to offer more "live" news rather than just a copy of what was in the printed paper that day. The Guardian and Telegraph are both excellent, The Times has improved a lot lately but the Independent is still dull (as fitting the paper I suppose)

I'm not that keen on the Sky News website as it's a bit too loud for my taste.

ITN really is a p-poor attempt which looks like it was someone who has just read a "web design in 24 hours" book
  • Options
    stuarteastuartea Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    There's an interesting article which may explain how a lot of the BBC web stuff works and turns out the way it does here
    The problem is that the BBC doesn’t control its own technical infrastructure. In an act of staggering short-sightedness it was outsourced to Siemens as part of a much wider divesting of the BBC Technology unit.
    Several years later this puts the BBC in the unenviable situation of having an incumbent technology supplier which takes a least-possible-effort approach to running the BBC’s internet services.
    The BBC’s infrastructure is shockingly outdated, having changed only by fractions over the past decade.

So really it's surprising that they managed to change the front page at all, but not so surprising it took so long.

I don't find the new look to be much of anything, the new greyed sidebar seems less readable at a glance than the old one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see they've done the BBC Sport / Football home page now as well. Just look at the state of those video links on the top right. The SPL highlights. How crammed in are those hot spots.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/default.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you compare it with the main Sports page, it looks like the full design has yet to be rolled out - a sort of half and half look at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes, so it is. To be fair I only ever use the footy page, but I see what you mean. Let's hope the full design adds some space between those hot spots.

I'm not a fan of the new look. It's a bit garish and playschoolish for me. Rather than fill up the unused space to the right with more stories, they seem to have opted for a massive font which looks a bit silly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    not a fan of the new design and I am finding i don't visit the site as much now either.

It seems there are less articles and news stories on the site now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sherer wrote: »
    not a fan of the new design and I am finding i don't visit the site as much now either.
    After less than two days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it reminds me of the sky sites. Sprawling and garish and difficult to see where things are.

I think just after a vote on another forum about bad web sites, where we voted sky footy as being the worst, it actually won an industry prize for it's design.

What do we know eh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    After less than two days?

i would say yes i find when i look at the site now i just can't see any new content on there plus i really don't like the new style either