Options

insult to muslims

Comments

• Options
    Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    By the way, I also adore the Masood family. They are absolutely fantastic. Long may they continue.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    woah hasn't this thread had a lot of replies
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,005
    Forum Member
    come on. this is the wests version of islam. be more like us and we will like you. this is the fact
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MurrayMint - Hear Hear! :D

Eastendersfan - Yup! But thats because of conflicting views! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    catsmeow wrote: »
    come on. this is the wests version of islam. be more like us and we will like you. this is the fact

No it isn't. EastEnders portrays the Masood family correctly. A lot of Muslim and Asian families live like the Masoods. I am friends with Muslim and Asain people and not all of them live their lives how you state.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the masoods don't portray muslims in general but it is a soap. All muslims know that music is forbidden so is extravagance in weddings which we will see this week. I think the masoods are an funny family but the fact that none playing them are muslims is minus for me
  • Options
    Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    my dads a christian but he doesn't go to church so.........................
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are the masoods bbcs idea of a positive image of muslims. for example the gay storyline, zainab and shabnam not wearing headscarves, and most recently the masoods singing carols in the square christmas night! that is outrageous and the actors involved should have refused to sing hymns.
    i did not notice anyone else in the square fasting with the masoods during ramadan and i dont recall anyone wishing eid mubark to them. this is a mockery and just bbc islam, not the real islam.

I think you'll find you are the one insulting Muslims, saying they are all identical and don't have independent thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    i do not dislike the masoods. i dislike how the bbc are portraying them. however i would have little respect for a family like the masoods as muslims. there is integration in communities - and there is also going too far to integrate.

What the??? How are the Masoods not being portrayed properly because as far I can see, they are being portrayed respectfully. Ok they do not wear Headscarf's or Hats, so doesn't a lot of Muslims in this country so it's real to see them without a headscarf for the women or a hat for the men in the family, just as long as they are also dressed appropriately. They did Ramadan, what more can I say?

There's a lot more points I could say but ChryedCrazy has already pointed them out (Big Shoutout to you :P).

They may be the 'West Version' of a typical muslim family but a lot of muslim families are 'western' influenced too like myself and I'm sure a lot more other familes too so therefore it would be realistic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    callum9999 wrote: »
    I think you'll find you are the one insulting Muslims, saying they are all identical and don't have independent thought.

This is what the PC brigade do. I wish they would stop speaking on behalf of others, particularly ethnic minorities. I have Muslim, Asian, Chinese and Polish neighbours. I have received Christmas cards and gifts from some of them whereas others have displayed Christmas trees, lights and decorations inside and outside of their homes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you very much! I am SO glad that you agree with me :D

Don't worry about it Sister haha ;):p:D:cool:

The more points from a muslim's point of view, the better!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. That is your opinion!
    I agree that the masoods don't portray muslims in general but it is a soap. All muslims know that music is forbidden so is extravagance in weddings which we will see this week. I think the masoods are an funny family but the fact that none playing them are muslims is minus for me

Sorry do you mind quoting your source for the bit in bold?
    Muslims can not listen to music during certain times i.e. such as during Namaaz time, while reading the Qur'an, during the month of Ramadaan and Moharaam .. so I think you phrased it incorrectly!

Have you been to any Muslim Pakistani weddings? I've been to countless Muslims weddings and not ONE of them didnt have music, so you might need to check your source!

I think you'll find that you are mistaken. The girl who played Shabnam is a Muslim.
    Also, what has the actor being Muslim got to do with anything? Do you think there's going to be a sign on their forehead saying 'I'm a Muslim'?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
    Forum Member
    are the masoods bbcs idea of a positive image of muslims. for example the gay storyline, zainab and shabnam not wearing headscarves, and most recently the masoods singing carols in the square christmas night! that is outrageous and the actors involved should have refused to sing hymns.
    i did not notice anyone else in the square fasting with the masoods during ramadan and i dont recall anyone wishing eid mubark to them. this is a mockery and just bbc islam, not the real islam.

i see your point.

but it's a soap. perfect muslims wearing scarves and praying would be boring. they have to mix it up.

and they have to make them mix with other characters, that includes singing carols! otherwise they will be left out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nurse M wrote: »
    What the??? How are the Masoods not being portrayed properly because as far I can see, they are being portrayed respectfully. Ok they do not wear Headscarf's or Hats, so doesn't a lot of Muslims in this country so it's real to see them without a headscarf for the women or a hat for the men in the family, just as long as they are also dressed appropriately. They did Ramadan, what more can I say?

There's a lot more points I could say but ChryedCrazy has already pointed them out (Big Shoutout to you :P).

They may be the 'West Version' of a typical muslim family but a lot of muslim families are 'western' influenced too like myself and I'm sure a lot more other familes too so therefore it would be realistic.

Haha thanks!! Yeah, I dont appreciate other people putting Muslim's 'down' in a sense! The media already have a field day doing it and I think its high time that Muslim's started standing up for themselves! I'm forever grateful to the BBC for putting the Masood's on screen because it's made people a lot more AWARE if anything and that is all we can ask!

So catsmeow - PLEASE drop your 'holier than thou' attitude and get with the real world! (In the nicest possible way :p)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. That is your opinion!

Muslims can not listen to music during certain times i.e. such as during Namaaz time, while reading the Qur'an, during the month of Ramadaan and Moharaam .. so I think you phrased it incorrectly!

Have you been to any Muslim Pakistani weddings? I've been to countless Muslims weddings and not ONE of them didnt have music, so you might need to check your source!

I think you'll find that you are mistaken. The girl who played Shabnam is a Muslim.
    Also, what has the actor being Muslim got to do with anything? Do you think there's going to be a sign on their forehead saying 'I'm a Muslim'?

type in google music in islam
    also the girl who played shabnam which was zahra was a muslim i know that but she aint here now is she
  • Options
    Forum Member

and also if someone has passed away, your not meant to listen to music during them times too.

Music is forbidden but I know a lot of Muslims listen to music and enjoy it anyway, Your not meant to smoke but Muslims do it anyway. Isn't singing haram?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The OP has not thought this debate through properly!
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    be more like us and we will like you.
    A wee bit ironic coming from someone who converted! :rolleyes:

Were you a Christian before you converted? And what was your motivation for converting? To become more like your husband and his family and to be accepted by them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flowers - I think you are slightly missing the point. The whole point is that many Muslims out there are in no shape or form 'perfect' ... so if they DID put a 'perfect' family up there then it would be HIGHLY unrealistic because the majority of Muslims are like that!
    As I can only speak for myself: How you see the Masood's is how my house is for example:
    We observe Ramadaan, pray Namaaz, read Qur'an etc but at the same time we dress in 'western' clothes to a certain extent (eg jeans, shirts, tops, trousers etc) (although right now I'm wearing traditional clothing :D), we speak in English at home, sometimes Urdu or Punjabi, we eat 'english' food like Pizza's, Jacket Potatoes etc but we eat primarily eat Asian traditional food! So basically what you see is what you get and that is what most Muslim families are like (looking at relatives and friends) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you are really isolating yourself. not all muslims are strict and by saying what you are saying is isulting to muslims. btw, i am christian but i don't go to church every sunday, or wear a cross, or pray every night. i can still follow my religion by not doing any of that.
    are you a pakistani muslim? what is your way of following islam? please tell us, as you say the way islam is being portrayed in EE and western society is wrong so i want to know what is right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flowers - I think you are slightly missing the point. The whole point is that many Muslims out there are in no shape or form 'perfect' ... so if they DID put a 'perfect' family up there then it would be HIGHLY unrealistic because the majority of Muslims are like that!
    As I can only speak for myself: How you see the Masood's is how my house is for example:
    We observe Ramadaan, pray Namaaz, read Qur'an etc but at the same time we dress in 'western' clothes to a certain extent (eg jeans, shirts, tops, trousers etc) (although right now I'm wearing traditional clothing :D), we speak in English at home, sometimes Urdu or Punjabi, we eat 'english' food like Pizza's, Jacket Potatoes etc but we eat primarily eat Asian traditional food! So basically what you see is what you get and that is what most Muslim families are like (looking at relatives and friends) :)

Eastendersfan - Are you seriously expecting me to believe the INTERNET? For crying out loud! Anyone can write a whole load of crap on there!

NurseM - Yeah, they're other tiems too but I didnt see the point in listing them all :D As far as I am aware, apart from those times you are allowed to listen to music in moderation :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,005
    Forum Member
    music, singing and dancing are haram period- not just at certain times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Consdering how much I've disagreed with you up until now, I see no point in believing you now :)

Plus, thats not what this thread is about! Any other reasons why you do not agree with the Masood's? Feel free to list them and I'm more than happy to stick up for them! ... I see you havent replied to my previous posts ... Hmm I wonder why!
  • Options
    Forum Member

But your missing the point here. EastEnders are portraying a typical Muslim family living in the UK, they are not trying to show what Muslim families should be like overall.

They have portrayed the Family the right way. Music is haram over all yes but, every other muslim in this country knows this too but yet, the majority of us still listen to music, or maybe even dance to them. That is the BBC showing an average muslim family in the UK.

There's a big difference between showing an normal average muslim family in England and What a muslim family should be like and how they should behave.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Get over yourself, luv.

If you want muslims to be treated equally, then they should be subject to the same artistic license open to any other soap TV character in the UK.

Why should muslims be superior?
This discussion has been closed.