New Doctor Who Fan (Part C. Baker)

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    Lol! I'll put that on my list of things to do when I'm really bored. :D

Although it is officially regarded as a story, since there are 14 (yes 14) parts it's actually really a whole series.

And one that really saw the beginning of the end for the classic series, imho.
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    SheMoore19 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone. :D

I've been AWOL for a bit because I ended up in the hospital again. I've had epilepsy for years and it has raised it's ugly head again. Had tests and stuff. I'm still not myself so that's why I've not been around. Pounding headache being the worst thing. :(

I came home to discover that my dvd player was broken. :( The one I watch most of my DW on too!!!

However, good news!! I've replaced it with a blu-ray player. :D Yay!

Congratulations to CHJ on a the expected little girl janitor. :)

Glad to hear your eyes are a lot better Weedle. I can sympathise after having impaired vision last year for a while. I hope you continue to get better. :)

Nice to see Crazzy posting again. :)

I've loved reading your excerpts and observations on 'The Writer's Tale'. As you know I got the old version for my birthday so I've read up to the end of s4. It's fantastic and fascinating.

What RTD says about
    the forums (citing GB) made me think about some of the posts on this place lately and wonder how they can be so unkind. They don't have to like everything but the personal stuff must hurt.

I'm quite behind now with watching / listening to stuff, but I will get organised soon, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Hello SheMoore! Good to see you. *hugs*

Yes, with regards to your spoiler, I was thinking very much about things seen in forums when reading that section.
    The thought of Helen Raynor being so upset actually quite upset me. Some people forget they are talking about real people with feelings who might just read their posts and be affected by them...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    Hello SheMoore! Good to see you. *hugs*

Yes, with regards to your spoiler, I was thinking very much about things seen in forums when reading that section.
    The thought of Helen Raynor being so upset actually quite upset me. Some people forget they are talking about real people with feelings who might just read their posts and be affected by them...

Waves to SheMoore and I too thought that and hoped he read here as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What RTD says about
    the forums (citing GB) made me think about some of the posts on this place lately and wonder how they can be so unkind. They don't have to like everything but the personal stuff must hurt.

Lovely to see you back!:)

sorry about all your woes though!:(

As for what you say here: well there's two sides to the internet aren't there? There's the way it brings people together to do something good...like stand up to the Jan Moirs of this world, and then there's the way it brings people together to do harm...it provides a mouth piece to internet cowards who will say all kinds of foul things about people from the safety of their computer they would never dream of saying to someone in person. I'd be willing to bet most of the people who have slagged off the likes of RTD, Helen Raynor, James Moran et al on here would be nice as pie if they saw them in real life....then come running back to their computers to slag them off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Lovely to see you back!:)

sorry about all your woes though!:(

As for what you say here: well there's two sides to the internet aren't there? There's the way it brings people together to do something good...like stand up to the Jan Moirs of this world, and then there's the way it brings people together to do harm...it provides a mouth piece to internet cowards who will say all kinds of foul things about people from the safety of their computer they would never dream of saying to someone in person. I'd be willing to bet most of the people who have slagged off the likes of RTD, Helen Raynor, James Moran et al on here would be nice as pie if they saw them in real life....then come running back to their computers to slag them off.

Yes, anonymity can make some people very "brave" - it is one thing to dislike an episode/character/writer, but some things have got ridiculously personal on-line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, anonymity can make some people very "brave" - it is one thing to dislike an episode/character/writer, but some things have got ridiculously personal on-line.

Yes, and i rather think that is the point that goes sailing over some peoples head. Don't like the episode? Fine. Criticise the episode, not make personal comments about the writer. It's the way RTD's sexuality manages to get dragged in to everything, the way Helen was called ugly, stupid, and the c word....the main reason i think it happens is because a) those making the comments have issues with the sexuality/gender of the writer and b) because of an inability to articulate what they dislike about an episode so instead fall back on personal comments. And these people then have the audacity to claim the writers are lazy. When all they tend to do is cut and paste the same old sh*t from thread to thread!
  • Options
    SheMoore19SheMoore19 Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. The internet has brought forth a new breed of 'brave cowards'. People who think they can say what they like because of a lack of consequences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. The internet has brought forth a new breed of 'brave cowards'. People who think they can say what they like because of a lack of consequences.

And it's awful really, to read how distressed that Helen was about the comments made about her series 3 episode. But you know the saddest thing is a large portion of people that made those personal comments upon hearing that will probably be proud of making a writer question her choice of profession.....
  • Options
    SheMoore19SheMoore19 Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it's awful really, to read how distressed that Helen was about the comments made about her series 3 episode. But you know the saddest thing is a large portion of people that made those personal comments upon hearing that will probably be proud of making a writer question her choice of profession.....

Yes, that is sad. And awful. :mad:

Like Tumpy said it is to be hoped that this thread is on their 'to read' list so that they can get a bit of balance. :)

I am working on my offspring to getting me the updated volume of TWT for Mother's Day. I feel it would be rude to go out and buy it myself as it was a present from the OH, but if someone else were to gift me a copy....not my fault. Oh, the ruminations I go through lol. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that is sad. And awful. :mad:

Like Tumpy said it is to be hoped that this thread is on their 'to read' list so that they can get a bit of balance. :)

I am working on my offspring to getting me the updated volume of TWT for Mother's Day. I feel it would be rude to go out and buy it myself as it was a present from the OH, but it someone else were to gift me a copy....not my fault. Oh, the ruminations I go through lol. :rolleyes:

I must say i am glad now i borrowed the original copy from the library, since i had no qualms about getting the revised version right off the bat. That said i wish it was a hard back though, like the original version..:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I must say i am glad now i borrowed the original copy from the library, since i had no qualms about getting the revised version right off the bat. That said i wish it was a hard back though, like the original version..:(

Yes, a hardback as an option would have been good. I am not carrying it to read on the bus for fear of making it all tatty, so will take me a while longer to get through.

Saying that, I don't mind if it lasts longer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a hardback as an option would have been good. I am not carrying it to read on the bus for fear of making it all tatty, so will take me a while longer to get through.

Saying that, I don't mind if it lasts longer!

I'm actually considering getting a second copy, one for home and one to take out. Which is very very very sad of me.:o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm actually considering getting a second copy, one for home and one to take out. Which is very very very sad of me.:o:D

... but understandable!

I will stick to reading it at home - it is becoming part of my relaxation ritual before bed - actually, it is all I am doing as a relaxation ritual! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    ... but understandable!

I will stick to reading it at home - it is becoming part of my relaxation ritual before bed - actually, it is all I am doing as a relaxation ritual! :D

That's when I read it too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i do read a bit before bed, but i like to take it out with me as it's a good book to pick up and read a bit of here and there when your on the train to/from work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just remembered - I forgot to say thank you to the mod for our shiny new thread - you know that you are always welcome to a banana daiquiri whenever I make them! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *clinks glass for new thread*

I've been skim-reading but haven't been posting. I have just finished watching Silent Witness on Iplayer and I can tell you it was a mistake to watch it this late. At least I had someone to share the scares with and wasn't watching alone. Mr Decker from Children of Earth (on topic ;)) was in it and it was good to see him playing a good guy. A lot of the episode creeped me out but at least he didn't this time. I know it's late but I'm rather creeped out and not sure if I can get to sleep; it was set in a university you see...
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    Amazon.ca has updated the North American publishing date to March 24th. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello. I have a new phone so trying it out to see if I can post from the bus.

That is rubbish, NC. Can you get it on import?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member

Hear, hear !
    Yes, and i rather think that is the point that goes sailing over some peoples head. Don't like the episode? Fine. Criticise the episode, not make personal comments about the writer. It's the way RTD's sexuality manages to get dragged in to everything, the way Helen was called ugly, stupid, and the c word....the main reason i think it happens is because a) those making the comments have issues with the sexuality/gender of the writer and b) because of an inability to articulate what they dislike about an episode so instead fall back on personal comments. And these people then have the audacity to claim the writers are lazy. When all they tend to do is cut and paste the same old sh*t from thread to thread!

Hear, hear (again) !

That kind of comments is nothing but the mark of a lazy brain and not of any sort of lazy writing. Not having an articulate thought or pasting all made comments that don't relate to each other or to what was said before proves only that the poster only has half a brain that he tries to disguise under some sort of outrage.
    The most respectful thing you can do when you don't like something is trying to know why and explaining it in as rational a way as can be.

I am eyeing the iPad since yesterday. My dream version of it : when you order a book on Amazon, they send you a copy, but you also get a downloaded version of the book on your iPad to carry it around. Wouldn't it be cool to have your nice copy of The Writer's Tale at home and reading it on a mobile device (much lighter than the actual book, may I add !) ?

You should order it on Amazon.co.uk : you'd get it before !
  • Options
    kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whooo hoooo a nice clean thread :D

well done TR for being an "annual" thread starter/OPer :D

right!! sooooo much to catch up on! :eek:

the eyes are MUCH better and at last I can see to type on a normal screen!
    just one piece of advice from a Naggy Weedle, that I would like you to take notice of please.....

As Ken will agree, sore eyes/painful eyes/blurred or double vision is something that you must never take for granted. If anyone has any problems with their eyes, don't assume that it will get better by itself or that "it's nothing that an early night wouldn't put right",
    please go to an optician/opthalmologist and get them checked out! - pleeeeease!!

back to the topic!

first and foremost

*toooot tooooot parpppp parrpppppp kerchiiinggg kerchiiiiing*

CRAZZY'S HERE!!!!

WB Crazzy!! :D missed you and your MQ posts!
    and come back soon Crowfoot and SheMoore - you are missed too....

*Weedle goes into a "rounding up lost Whoonies" mode*

*I* haven't watched any of THE Colin Baker eps - so what would fellow Whoonies recommend?
    would it be a "regenerist" one?? Doctor Five to Doctor Six?? if I could have some tips then I can either whizz over to Bluey or just pop over to Amazon and clickety click clicky into my basket!

I now have a Tardis moneybox to play with! :D from this week's edition of DWA - the only problem was with the decorative stickers :( - they hadn't been scored properly and wouldn't peel of the backing paper without tearing :(

Billie P was on This Morning today - to only talk about THAT show ;) - she's sooooo different now! she seems to have gone a little bit "schwoooo" and a little bit "schwaaaaaaay" and very "yah" - :eek: - she was wearing a gold necklet with the name Winston it - sweet :)

right off to do dinner - back laters!

Absolutely agree with the eyes any irregular behaviour and go and see a good option (not vision express imho there shit
    http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ & http://www.danda.co.uk/ are great opticians especially spec savers as they picked up on my KC where as i had been going to VE for years and they didn't pick up on it when they should have !! good thing to remember its always good to get a second opinion !

Kenneth

Ps hug for Wheeedle
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

as others have said, just order it from amazon uk. I've oredered stuff from the american site before so it must be possible!

:)
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning folks:)

What every steampunk Timelord needs :D

laters
  • Options
    syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weedle, I'm glad to hear your eyes are better!

SheMoore, I'm glad you're okay and I hope the epilepsy stops acting up. :(

Ugh. I wonder what's taking them so long. I was going to use a gift card at a brick and mortar store, but I'll use it on something else, then!
    Hello. I have a new phone so trying it out to see if I can post from the bus.

It worked! *waves* ;)
    Webslark wrote: »

Cute!

I was looking forward to reading The Writer's Tale because I'd like to see a more rounded picture of RTD as a writer. On the Confidentials and in interviews he usually comes off as very proud of his work, very salesmanlike.

Does he talk about Bob and Rose or The Second Coming at all? Those are his other works that I've seen.
  • Options
    kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/ are reporting on the interview by sara cox on radio one yesterday that she has heard that a doctor who movie is in the works and that they want david to do the role sounds interesting but at the same time disrespectful to matt and the new producers!

If it does go ahead i would like it to be its own thing and not connected to the series as such but still doctor who !

Ken
This discussion has been closed.