Options

Real life mysteries that have intrigued and baffled you

Comments

• Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    During the coverage of 9/11, i remember, as do other people I know, hearing about car explostions in Washington. But we never heard about them again.

Also, a friend and I both independently think that we heard a news report of the death of Olympia Dukakis (the actress, for those who haven't heard of her). Olympia Dukakis is normally very, very far from mine and my friend's thoughts. She's very much alive.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I saw him on I think Great Horton Road, during the cold snap with very red legs at about 5pm on a Saturday.

Does he use a real thick rope as a belt? If so i have seen him in Stafford twice recently
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I love this thread. I've spent ages reading up on everything that's been mentioned, feel a bit freaked out now:o

Does anyone know of any books on this sort of thing (mysterious disappearances etc)?
    I have the Reader's Digest Book of Strange Stories and Amazing Facts but know most of those stories practically of by heart (I was obsessed when I was wee, even if it gave me nightmares :o)
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    During the coverage of 9/11, i remember, as do other people I know, hearing about car explostions in Washington. But we never heard about them again.

Also, a friend and I both independently think that we heard a news report of the death of Olympia Dukakis (the actress, for those who haven't heard of her). Olympia Dukakis is normally very, very far from mine and my friend's thoughts. She's very much alive.

My mum and her friend were on a train travelling back from London when they heard a woman having phone conversation behind them say "Oh god, John Major's dead". They both heard it as her friend said,"did I hear that right? John Major's died?"

Obviousley John Major used to be the Prime Minister. When she got home we put Sky news on to see if John Major had indeed died, and of course there was no mention of it. As far as I am aware he is still very much alive. Maybe it was another John Major this woman was talking about?
  • Options
    Sleepy HollowSleepy Hollow Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Many thanks tried googling to find out more about the 1947 RAF Lancaster incident but found nothing.:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember that story from a while back.
    Another one that always fasinated me was the Barney and Betty Hill story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney_and_Betty_Hill

that is weird.

Interesting!
    I've always thought that. Ghosts are just different time dimensions coming close together then drifting again...it's as good an explanation as any.

I was up all night last night reading those unsolved murder links. I don't advise it. Freaked me right out.:eek:

Lol, I have been trying to read most links first thing in the morning so that I have the whole day to get over my "fright" :eek:
    My mum and her friend were on a train travelling back from London when they heard a woman having phone conversation behind them say "Oh god, John Major's dead". They both heard it as her friend said,"did I hear that right? John Major's died?"

Obviousley John Major used to be the Prime Minister. When she got home we put Sky news on to see if John Major had indeed died, and of course there was no mention of it. As far as I am aware he is still very much alive. Maybe it was another John Major this woman was talking about?

It was probably their personal friend John Major! But to anyone listening you would assume it was the more famous one. Things like that freak me out, because I always wonder if it IS the simple explanation, or if again in another universe John Major PM IS dead! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It happened while I was in York, which is a spooky place anyway. We went to this old building called the merchants house and whilst my mum was paying I wandered into this other room that had lots of pictures of the minster on the walls.

I was a little confused when I saw what appeared to be a pool or river in there. It was filled with very still water that was reflecting the oak pannels above it. The whole atmosphere felt very weird and dream like as well.

A couple of moments later it vanished and in its place was a stair case going down, with brick walls, no oak pannels and a window that hadn't been there previousley. I was stunned and have been wondering about it ever since.

Do you know, that brought to mind something that happened when my daughter was about 5. (She is 18 now!). We were visiting a castle and going on the tour - we were in one of those long dining rooms and she kept heading towards a wall. She wanted to go through the door, but there wasnt a door there.
    However, the tour guide, who was a little :eek: said that actually,at one point, there had been a door there leading to a narrow corridor round to another part of the building, but due to damage it had been walled up, they guessed around 100 years previously.

Kids often know things we don't though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't know of another famous John Major. Just like there aren't many people called Olympia Dukakis. Weird, isn't it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Interesting!

Lol, I have been trying to read most links first thing in the morning so that I have the whole day to get over my "fright" :eek:

It was probably their personal friend John Major! But to anyone listening you would assume it was the more famous one. Things like that freak me out, because I always wonder if it IS the simple explanation, or if again in another universe John Major PM IS dead! :eek:
    But you'd say 'John' and, if you knew a few John's, then to say 'no, John Major', wouldn't you. Still, yours is a more logical interpretation!
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know of another famous John Major. Just like there aren't many people called Olympia Dukakis. Weird, isn't it!

It was weird, because the way this woman had said it they'd apprently sounded shocked at the news. Thats why my mum and her friend assumed it was THE John Major.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    Does he use a real thick rope as a belt? If so i have seen him in Stafford twice recently

I'm not sure, according to his picture on the Facebook group he doesn't. Although I know he walks pretty far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you'd say 'John' and, if you knew a few John's, then to say 'no, John Major', wouldn't you. Still, yours is a more logical interpretation!

Yep, but just because its logical.....;)
    It was weird, because the way this woman had said it they'd apprently sounded shocked at the news. Thats why my mum and her friend assumed it was THE John Major.

Well I would have assumed the same!
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this thread, I love mysteries and I'm especially interested in UFOs, alien abduction (especially the Brooklyn Bridge Abduction, which I've read a very interesting book on) and missing time (which I've experienced)
  • Options
    shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing I wonder about are Pixies, faerie/fairys, the little people. I know it`s foke lore but some people claim to have seen them.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bmillam wrote: »
    how the hell Tony Blair ever got elected :D:D:D

I could understand it is 1997 and 2001 but not 2005:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Not sure if I'm disappointed or embarassed. I went to school in Australia in the 70's and saw Picnic at Hanging rock, we also went to the location where this apparently occurred. Up until 10 minutes ago I had always believed it to be a true story...gutted :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Another thing I wonder about are Pixies, faerie/fairys, the little people. I know it`s foke lore but some people claim to have seen them.

My mum too a photo of this like ring of tree stumps in a woodland place once, it was a decorative part (not a very good description I know but I can't remember where it was/what else to call it) but at the side of one of the stumps is a very defined pixie on the photo! It wasn't there before and my parents have been back to check it out again and there was nothing at all there. Its one of those photos we've printed a couple of times and looked back on in fascination as we can't understand it!
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 24,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Robin Hood exist if so how did evade capture for so long, and if existed where is his grave:confused:
  • Options
    shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spethyla wrote: »
    My mum too a photo of this like ring of tree stumps in a woodland place once, it was a decorative part (not a very good description I know but I can't remember where it was/what else to call it) but at the side of one of the stumps is a very defined pixie on the photo! It wasn't there before and my parents have been back to check it out again and there was nothing at all there. Its one of those photos we've printed a couple of times and looked back on in fascination as we can't understand it!

http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa021703a.htm

Strange stories indeed.
  • Options
    shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    I can't believe they would haver left female officers alone in red light areas, in a bid to find the Ripper :eek: How crazy is that? :eek:

Do you mean you saw her after she was killed? If so, how awful. :(

All of the prostitutes and most of the local punters knew we were the police but yup I agree, it was madness. We used to give a double click on our radio buttons if we were approached by a punter and, to be fair, mobile back up would arrive extremely quickly but it was bloody scary none the less!

:(:( yes I was working nights the night Barbara Leach's body was found. It was found in the area covered by Bradford Central and I worked out of the centre but my Inspector heard the reports of the body being found and said it would be excellent experience for me and another "newbie" to see it. There weren't many murders back then. I'll never forget it.

Loving the mysteries on here!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you read any of the welsh folklore books? I used to think of faerie's and pixies as sweet little creatures....but apparently not!
    pippet272 wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm disappointed or embarassed. I went to school in Australia in the 70's and saw Picnic at Hanging rock, we also went to the location where this apparently occurred. Up until 10 minutes ago I had always believed it to be a true story...gutted :o

Hey, took me a while. I thought it was true for the longest time.
    All of the prostitutes and most of the local punters knew we were the police but yup I agree, it was madness. We used to give a double click on our radio buttons if we were approached by a punter and, to be fair, mobile back up would arrive extremely quickly but it was bloody scary none the less!

:(:( yes I was working nights the night Barbara Leach's body was found. It was found in the area covered by Bradford Central and I worked out of the centre but my Inspector heard the reports of the body being found and said it would be excellent experience for me and another "newbie" to see it. There weren't many murders back then. I'll never forget it.

Loving the mysteries on here!!!!

My word, what an experience. Not one I would have liked, but then I am a bit of a scaredy cat. I don't even like going downstairs in the night to get a drink on my own - I wake hubby up and make him go!

Must have been a horrible time in that area when this was going on.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suzy Lamplugh who went to visit 'Mr Kipper' and vanished.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suzy Lamplugh who went to visit 'Mr Kipper' and vanished.

Yeah, something was fishy there alright! :D

(Sorry, couldnt resist :o )

That one has always made me wonder. Because it did seem as if she disappeared off the face of the earth.
  • Options
    shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Have you read any of the welsh folklore books? I used to think of faerie's and pixies as sweet little creatures....but apparently not!

Hey, took me a while. I thought it was true for the longest time.

My word, what an experience. Not one I would have liked, but then I am a bit of a scaredy cat. I don't even like going downstairs in the night to get a drink on my own - I wake hubby up and make him go!

Must have been a horrible time in that area when this was going on.

:) yes it was a horrid scary time in a lot of ways. If I am being totally honest though, it was also exciting. I was very young back then and feared nowt.

I also made a hell of a lot of money (as did a lot of coppers) :o:o because every time I was on nights which was one week out of four, I did what was called "pro obs", ie the covering of the red light area, and we worked 12 hr shifts for 7 nights instead of the usual 8hr shifts so that was 28 hours overtime for that one week.

I can remember the total elation though when he was arrested, even though it was by another force (South Yorks) and purely by luck.

Whoever posted earlier about the inadequacies of the police enquiry was absolutely right. Dreadful errors of judgement were made high up and were not questioned - well they were, but officers were demoted for questioning things.
  • Options
    sergio2006sergio2006 Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody know anything about the gable film then?

if you have never heard of it please look it up. Id love to hear other peoples opinions on it.